Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#2779467 - 03/08/12 05:10 PM teaching puppies
biglefty20
10 Point

Loc: Spring Hill/Giles County

Help me out on how to teach my dog to stop when I want...been working with a quail wing on fishing pole and she smells it, kinds flash points and then tries to catch it...I always pull it up and don't let her catch it

She is only 9 weeks old so she may be too young...she has done it right a few times but few is the key word

Someone give me something to try ...English setter is what she is..

#2779747 - 03/08/12 09:50 PM Re: teaching puppies [Re: biglefty20]
TeamMainStreet
10 Point

Loc: Union County,Tn

Time and practice. She is still young.

Dont tread on me

#2779756 - 03/08/12 10:05 PM Re: teaching puppies [Re: TeamMainStreet]
biglefty20
10 Point

Thats what I was thinking

#2780430 - 03/09/12 05:22 PM Re: teaching puppies [Re: biglefty20]
birddoginQ
4 Point

Loc: Knox, TN

When she stops...tell here whoa. lean over and let her know you want her to stay still. Stroke her tail upward and raise her chin and keep telling her whoa. She will get the picture. Its in there just needs to be brought out and reinforced.

Dont overwork that wing on a string. Sight pointing is what that is and not what you want when she is older. Fine while she is a pup (and fun to watch) but just to let her know what you want her to do.

Keep her close and reinforce the stopping and pointing.

#2780604 - 03/09/12 09:32 PM Re: teaching puppies [Re: birddoginQ]
biglefty20
10 Point

Thanks ill give it a try

#2781046 - 03/10/12 03:52 PM Re: teaching puppies [Re: ]
rukiddin?
8 Point

Loc: E. Tenn

At 9 weeks, I would'nt even be worrying about it yet. It will come together much easily if you can get her solid on basic obedience. You should be able to judge some natural god given ability at 9 weeks, but you are light years away from seeing her true potential, regardless of how much work you put into it, just due to the pups age. I consider myself to have grown up around some of the finest pointing dogs to ever hit the ground. My grandpa and his buddies lived for pointing dogs and field trials. He had a brood bitch from generations of National ch's and shooting dog championships, that was never trained, but would hold a point and naturally back from the time she was born till she died. She was never trained. But then again, some of her puppies were worked hard and some took a great deal of time to train to be steady to wing and shot, and also back another dog. It just all comes down to the individual pup.

But at 9 weeks, just let her enjoy being a puppy. At that age, thier attention span is very short. Start working on it in about 3 months.

Edited by rukiddin? (03/10/12 04:01 PM)

"I'm gone to carolina in my mind"

#2781519 - 03/11/12 10:53 AM Re: teaching puppies [Re: ]
biglefty20
10 Point

We worked this morning again...she did better...gets better each time...she is coming to name and whistle really well now( maybe cause she likes treats lol)...we worked hard on whoa today...she did ok...some of the time she sat when I told her whoa but she stayed...its a start I think...didn't mess with wing today, want to get commands good first...

#2781658 - 03/11/12 02:39 PM Re: teaching puppies [Re: ]
biglefty20
10 Point

Thats pretty cool...with her being so young I am using some now...I use them sparingly, shes not getting a meal out of it...as she gets older and better I'll prob not use as much

#2785631 - 03/15/12 08:00 PM Re: teaching puppies [Re: ]
birddoginQ
4 Point

Loc: Knox, TN

Originally Posted By: tndrbstr
 Originally Posted By: biglefty20
We worked this morning again...she did better...gets better each time...she is coming to name and whistle really well now( maybe cause she likes treats lol)...we worked hard on whoa today...she did ok...some of the time she sat when I told her whoa but she stayed...its a start I think...didn't mess with wing today, want to get commands good first...

I'm not a big fan of treats as a reward, My dogs reward was always paise and positive verbal and physical reinforcement. I don't know what it makes any difference I just never done it.

But then I also encouraged my last pointer to point rabbits too. I did catch some flack for that, a little nontraditional I know but feild competitions were not of any intrest to me. And with the decline in grouse and quail habitat and numbers I got tired of getting more exercise than meat. She would point and hold to shot and retrieve most any thing she came accross. We came home many days with a mixed bag. That was her job and she was very good at it. \:\)

Thats great. I have a short hair that I have never really discouraged pointing rabbits. Like you I got tired of walking and not seeing her locked up. However I took her to Minnesota this year and she drove me crazy with those big white rabbits up there. She didnt point them....she chased them. Or at least the first few....

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Cuttin Caller, Bobby G, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
4 registered (Cowman71, pse2, plateaukiller, Rebel) and 89 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180121 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.006 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.