Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#2768656 - 02/26/12 08:27 PM Southwester Squirrel (Hunt-n-Eat cooking)
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

content Online
Enjoyed my last hunt of the 2011 season this morning. I took this old, Fox Squirrel with an impressive 60+ yard, high angle shot:

Took her home, skinned her and decided to do something Southwestern with her so I placed the squirrel in a brine of salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, bay leaf, and added two whole Hatch chilies. (Hatch NM is famous for their chilies. I have a client that lives there and he often sends me bags of dried chilies). If you ever get a chance to get your hands on some Hatch chilies , I highly recommend them for cooking (dried or frozen)and eating (canned salsa). Note that they will light your arse on fire!

Anyway, the Squirrel stayed in the brine for 8 hours and then I assembled a rub consisting of:

Ancho Chili power
Chipotle Chili powder
Smoked Cayenne Pepper
Salt

Rubbed this in thoroughly:

-started the charcoals, let the squirrel come to room temperature, melted a half stick of butter and combined the butter with the rub ingredients.

I then placed the squirrel on the grill for 5 minutes on each side, brushing it with the butter mixture constantly:

After 10 minutes, I took the squirrel off the grill, wrapped it in tin foil with a bit more butter and placed in the over for 15-20 minutes. I served it with Southwestern, veggie style tacos
(no, it wasn't burned, that is just the charred seasonings):

Next, I munched down on it (and it was good eating!) This will definitely be a regular meal for the summer time. Its always fun to hunt, improvise in the kitchen and eat your kill within the same day.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#2768886 - 02/27/12 07:19 AM Re: Southwester Squirrel (Hunt-n-Eat cooking) [Re: Poser]
tarsalgland
4 Point

Loc: hamilton co.

looks tasty
#2768893 - 02/27/12 07:32 AM Re: Southwester Squirrel (Hunt-n-Eat cooking) [Re: Poser]
Hawk
TnDeer Old Timer
12 Point

Loc: west tenn.

I bet it did taste great. How chewy was it? Old fox squirrels are a challenge to make tender. Wonder how that method would work with pheasant?

The Hatch peppers are the thing. I spent several days in Santa Fa last fall and they were included in many restaurant recipes.

Santa Fa locals call their food New Mexican cooking and get upset if you call it Southwestern. \:\)

#2769006 - 02/27/12 09:25 AM Re: Southwester Squirrel (Hunt-n-Eat cooking) [Re: Hawk]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

content Online
 Originally Posted By: Hawk
I bet it did taste great. How chewy was it? Old fox squirrels are a challenge to make tender. Wonder how that method would work with pheasant?

The Hatch peppers are the thing. I spent several days in Santa Fa last fall and they were included in many restaurant recipes.

Santa Fa locals call their food New Mexican cooking and get upset if you call it Southwestern. \:\)

I don't see why you couldn't do the same thing with Pheasant, but you might need to wrap it in some bacon to keep it from drying out since there is much more meat.

This squirrel was a little tough, but the taste was excellent. -just a little extra work on the front teeth, no big deal.

#2769065 - 02/27/12 10:18 AM Re: Southwester Squirrel (Hunt-n-Eat cooking) [Re: Poser]
jb3
10 Point

Loc: Burns, TN

content Online
I love beer, but can't do Peroni.
#2769226 - 02/27/12 12:51 PM Re: Southwester Squirrel (Hunt-n-Eat cooking) [Re: jb3]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

content Online
 Originally Posted By: jb3
I love beer, but can't do Peroni.

I love Peroni and most Italian beers for that matter. -had some left over from the other night when we made pizza.

#2769980 - 02/28/12 09:17 AM Re: Southwester Squirrel (Hunt-n-Eat cooking) [Re: Poser]
TennesseeRains
TnDeer Old Timer
16 Point

Loc: Hixson,TN

Looks good Poser!

Now - about those veggie tacos - what all did you put in em? I believe I see frejoles, cilantro, maters, and (squash)??? Did you use any spice on them like the squirrel?
I don't always eat meat but when I do I prefer deer. Stay hungry my friends-nbforrest#3

To be fair, we can now blame everything on everything else-Wildcat

A nation of sheep breeds a gov't of wolves

#2769994 - 02/28/12 09:28 AM Re: Southwester Squirrel (Hunt-n-Eat cooking) [Re: TennesseeRains]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

content Online
 Originally Posted By: TennesseeRains
Looks good Poser!

Now - about those veggie tacos - what all did you put in em? I believe I see frejoles, cilantro, maters, and (squash)??? Did you use any spice on them like the squirrel?

Yeah, that is yellow squash in there. -Cooked the beans separately and sautéed the squash along with onion, and then added tomato, cilantro, a bit of cheese, and squeezed lime before serving. I'll have to ask my ol' lady about the seasonings, as she was making the tacos while I was dealing with that squirrel, but it was pretty straight forward.

#2769996 - 02/28/12 09:31 AM Re: Southwester Squirrel (Hunt-n-Eat cooking) [Re: Poser]
jb3
10 Point

Loc: Burns, TN

content Online
Poser, something to consider in those veggie tacos is fried avacado. Place here in Nashville does it and it works out perfect.
#2776696 - 03/06/12 08:32 AM Re: Southwester Squirrel (Hunt-n-Eat cooking) [Re: jb3]
Redfred16
8 Point

Loc: Hartland, WI

The flavor profile sounds great, but like others said, it had to be tough meat.

I wonder if you slow cook it first, then just crisp up the skin on the grill as the last step?

"Recon Ready"
Airborne and Air Assault Blood Wings Worn Here

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Bobby G, RUGER, Unicam, gtk, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Crappie Luck, Mrs.Unicam 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
swampdonkey83, chrisp711, DEH20, tomtalker, jg12
13193 Registered Users
Who's Online
92 registered (dmonty, Good time Charlie, TN Larry, BigAl, TN hunter, downthebrown, 19 invisible) and 112 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13193 Members
42 Forums
91314 Topics
1067498 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.044 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.