Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#2768227 - 02/26/12 06:39 AM Fiberglass tips
Mudbone
10 Point

Loc: Old hickory Tn

Discovered a bad case of keel rash on my bassboat from previous owner. I have the cloth, mat and resin to make the repair. Can't do it from the inside. will a few feathered layers of medium weight cloth work or should I use roven? Never done any glassing so any tips would be helpful. Thx

#2768233 - 02/26/12 07:02 AM Re: Fiberglass tips [Re: Mudbone]
FULLDRAWXX75
12 Point

Loc: Adirondack Mtns, NY

Pending on the size of the area and how badly (rough/deep) the damage is you may be able to do the repair with fiberglass reenforced body filler (aka tiger hair) I have done many repairs with it and never once had a problem, it is very strong and relatively easy to work with.

The key is all in the surface prep.

FDXX75

#2768679 - 02/26/12 08:36 PM Re: Fiberglass tips [Re: FULLDRAWXX75]
Mudbone
10 Point

The damage seems deep to me. It is deep enough to get into the fiberglass, and it is about twenty inches long. It has actually squared off the keel where it should be a v. Thanks so much for the response. I have heard of the fiber fill and considered it, and plan on grinding area very well then cleaning with acetone. If cloth will work I will use it because I already have it. I plan on putting a keel gaurd on after the repair. I will be nervous trying this repair no matter what method I go with. Lol
How do u apply the body filler?

#2769401 - 02/27/12 04:10 PM Re: Fiberglass tips [Re: Mudbone]
FULLDRAWXX75
12 Point

Loc: Adirondack Mtns, NY

It comes with the hardener, you can get the application spreaders at any auto supply store. I use a scrap piece of cardboard or sheet metal to mix the two together, pending on the amount of hardener you use determines your mix/work time.

From what you are describing, I personally would use the Marglass fiberglass filler to reshape the keel, then rough up the area @ 6" back on both sides and apply the a few layers of cloth, heavy on the resin. Then smooth the edges out.

I would be careful about using the acetone on the open area, if it gets in between the fiber layers it could delaminate the existing material.

If you have any more concerns or questions, by all means feel free to ask.

FDXX75

#2770747 - 02/29/12 05:28 AM Re: Fiberglass tips [Re: FULLDRAWXX75]
Mudbone
10 Point

Originally Posted By: FULLDRAWXX75
It comes with the hardener, you can get the application spreaders at any auto supply store. I use a scrap piece of cardboard or sheet metal to mix the two together, pending on the amount of hardener you use determines your mix/work time.

From what you are describing, I personally would use the Marglass fiberglass filler to reshape the keel, then rough up the area @ 6" back on both sides and apply the a few layers of cloth, heavy on the resin. Then smooth the edges out.

I would be careful about using the acetone on the open area, if it gets in between the fiber layers it could delaminate the existing material.

If you have any more concerns or questions, by all means feel free to ask.

FDXX75
thx for the info. I believe I will try the filler to reform than go with the cloth. Hopefully I will be able to start working on it today. I will keeP
Ya updated. Thx

#2771602 - 02/29/12 06:52 PM Re: Fiberglass tips [Re: Mudbone]
fishboy1
16 Point

Loc: Warren Co

Don't forget that fiberglass is not waterPROOF.

You need a moisture barrier over that glass to keep it from getting "pox"

That is what the gelcote is for and where the repair gets tricky.

Glass work is pretty simple.
Blending in the gelcote is a pain. Since you plan on adding a keelguard anyway here is what I would recommend.

Build up the gash with the Tiger Hair or a similar polyester resin based product.

Measure to see how much will be covered by the keel guard and mask off the rest of the hull leaving the repair uncovered.

CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN!!! the area and apply gelcote to the patch, completely covering the polyester based resin product.
Spraying works best but a CLEAN foam roller followed by a high quality brush (roll and tip method) should give you a decent finish. Mixing color into the base gelcote to match your hull is the hard part.
Apply a couple layers to the manufacturers recommended thickness.
Remove masking tape and allow to cure 100% !
After it is cured, feather the edge of the repair with fine grit sand paper to desired smoothness. Buff to a shine and apply a good quality wax.
Then add keel guard.

OR you can go with an Epoxy based repair product. Marine epoxy products are waterPROOF. Marine Tex is one brand that is a filler and finish in one. Not sure how to color it though. Have to search the manufacturers website.
West Marine sells a good quality Marine grade epoxy product that you use like polyester resin. BEWARE Epoxy fumes are BAD BAD BAD for you. It smells WAY less than polyester resin so it can sneak up on you before you are aware that you got a bad exposure.

Good luck with your repair !

#2796080 - 03/28/12 08:36 PM Re: Fiberglass tips [Re: FULLDRAWXX75]
Mudbone
10 Point

Originally Posted By: FULLDRAWXX75
Pending on the size of the area and how badly (rough/deep) the damage is you may be able to do the repair with fiberglass reenforced body filler (aka tiger hair) I have done many repairs with it and never once had a problem, it is very strong and relatively easy to work with.

The key is all in the surface prep.

FDXX75
I am almost done. Ended up
Having to replace a stringer and deck! The kitty hair seems to have taken very well and it is very hard. Thx for the tips! A layer of cloth, and gelcoat and I'll be fishin gain! Thx guys

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  gtk, Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
kiplrrp, MudIslandMemphis, bcole0305, Browningbelgium7, cw308
13555 Registered Users
Who's Online
24 registered (MUP, tshav, Brisco Darlin, SAR Swimmer, Ken45, rastubbs, 3 invisible) and 76 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13555 Members
42 Forums
99439 Topics
1169775 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.04 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.