Tndeer Logo

Page 5 of 5 <12345
Topic Options
#2730007 - 01/21/12 09:14 AM Re: NEW BOOT SUGGESTIONS?? [Re: 280longshot]
eightpointer
14 Point

Loc: Birchwood, TN

My Son really likes his Muck Woody Max. Having said that...before I get some I'd like to try on a pair of Bogs. I've heard they are great too.
The classic high 1000.

#2730453 - 01/21/12 06:00 PM Re: NEW BOOT SUGGESTIONS?? [Re: eightpointer]
280longshot
8 Point

Loc: Tn, Tipton

I was in Gander Mountain today and looked at the Muck Woody Max, nice looking boots but what makes them so special say compared to the Lacrosse Burly?? I also use a non insulated rubber boot during turkey season and my Lacrosse non insulated ones are tearing up. In the market for some and checking prices.

#2730519 - 01/21/12 07:22 PM Re: NEW BOOT SUGGESTIONS?? [Re: 280longshot]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

Originally Posted By: 280longshot
I was in Gander Mountain today and looked at the Muck Woody Max, nice looking boots but what makes them so special say compared to the Lacrosse Burly?? I also use a non insulated rubber boot during turkey season and my Lacrosse non insulated ones are tearing up. In the market for some and checking prices.

The Muck Woody Max is lighter, warmer, and a better walker than the Lacrosse Burly. Regarding boots for turkey hunting, I generally prefer a good leather hiker over any of the full rubber boots.

The title of this thread was "NEW BOOT SUGGESTIONS??".
It seems most took that to ask what's a good boot for cold-weather stand deer hunting. But IMO, there is no one boot that's ideal for a variety of things throughout the year.

People in West TN may generally have more need for a taller waterproof boot and tend to prefer the full rubber boots. People in East TN generally don't need such a tall amount of waterproof. But then, it just depends on what you're doing.

I'm normally wearing a full rubber or neoprene boot while actually deer hunting. But I do much of my scouting wearing more rugged, more comfortable, and more breathable leather hikers. Then sometimes I need chest waders while either scouting or hunting.

Many people (including myself at times) perfer a lightly insulated or non-insulated boot for even cold weather deer hunting, since they carry a pair of Artic Shield boot covers in their pocket. IMO, a pair of these boot covers is like adding about another 800 gram of thinsulate to whatever you put them on. The advantage is being able to wear a lighter, better walking boot, then when you arrive, you put on the Artic Shields.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/ArcticShi...ch-All+Products

For most of my outdoor activities, I'm wearing either a full rubber or neoprene boot; a leather snake boot; or a good leather hiking boot. Even in cold weather, my non-insulated hikers are fine so long as I'm moving. And over the course of a year, I spend more of my time afield wearing good leather hikers. Am currently on my 2nd pair of the most comfortable ones have ever had (made by Meindl). IMO, these are better than Danners:
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-3...ch-All+Products

No matter what is the right boot for the circumstance, don't overlook how important the right socks matter. Not just an issue of not wearing cotton, but you may need a certain thickness for that perfect fit, not too tight, not too loose. You can also fine tune your boots' fit with liner socks, and you may need a liner on one foot and not the other, since most of us have feet that are not sized exactly the same from left to right.

#2730598 - 01/21/12 08:38 PM Re: NEW BOOT SUGGESTIONS?? [Re: Wes Parrish]
280longshot
8 Point

Originally Posted By: Wes Parrish
 Originally Posted By: 280longshot

The Muck Woody Max is lighter, warmer, and a better walker than the Lacrosse Burly. Regarding boots for turkey hunting, I generally prefer a good leather hiker over any of the full rubber boots.

The title of this thread was "NEW BOOT SUGGESTIONS??".
It seems most took that to ask what's a good boot for cold-weather stand deer hunting. But IMO, there is no one boot that's ideal for a variety of things throughout the year.

People in West TN may generally have more need for a taller waterproof boot and tend to prefer the full rubber boots. People in East TN generally don't need such a tall amount of waterproof. But then, it just depends on what you're doing.

I'm normally wearing a full rubber or neoprene boot while actually deer hunting. But I do much of my scouting wearing more rugged, more comfortable, and more breathable leather hikers. Then sometimes I need chest waders while either scouting or hunting.

Many people (including myself at times) perfer a lightly insulated or non-insulated boot for even cold weather deer hunting, since they carry a pair of Artic Shield boot covers in their pocket. IMO, a pair of these boot covers is like adding about another 800 gram of thinsulate to whatever you put them on. The advantage is being able to wear a lighter, better walking boot, then when you arrive, you put on the Artic Shields.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/ArcticShi...ch-All+Products

For most of my outdoor activities, I'm wearing either a full rubber or neoprene boot; a leather snake boot; or a good leather hiking boot. Even in cold weather, my non-insulated hikers are fine so long as I'm moving. And over the course of a year, I spend more of my time afield wearing good leather hikers. Am currently on my 2nd pair of the most comfortable ones have ever had (made by Meindl). IMO, these are better than Danners:
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-3...ch-All+Products

No matter what is the right boot for the circumstance, don't overlook how important the right socks matter. Not just an issue of not wearing cotton, but you may need a certain thickness for that perfect fit, not too tight, not too loose. You can also fine tune your boots' fit with liner socks, and you may need a liner on one foot and not the other, since most of us have feet that are not sized exactly the same from left to right.

Good post, I agree.

#2733905 - 01/24/12 05:07 PM Re: NEW BOOT SUGGESTIONS?? [Re: skynimrod]
gsd123
Button

Loc: Tennessee, Grundy

mucks are easier to get on and off
#2739283 - 01/29/12 06:30 PM Re: NEW BOOT SUGGESTIONS?? [Re: gsd123]
280longshot
8 Point

Tried the mucks on today and they really felt great but I wear a size 10 and it was a bit to big for normal socks, the size 9 was to small. I had to go back to the Lacrosse Burly, they just feel better and fit better around the ankles.I plan on using these during turkey season so the non insulated boots are what I needed. After talking to the sales woman I got a 10% discount for being a veteran. I didn't know Bass Pro has a discount for veterans. Guess it was my lucky day.!!!!!!!

#2752342 - 02/10/12 06:31 PM Re: NEW BOOT SUGGESTIONS?? [Re: CAMARO12]
Boone 58
16 Point

Loc: Food Plot

Havent tried them but they look great. If you buy them let me know how you like em......I really like the muck woody Max, but i have looked at the alpha's and would consider them to see if they wear better. Still they would have to WOW you to impress me.

Page 5 of 5 <12345

Moderator:  gtk, Tennessee Todd, Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
fghijk604245, top_of_the_foodchain, infantryleadtheway, ftwstn, Wild hog 44
13286 Registered Users
Who's Online
59 registered (JandSCattleCo, wrcox, birddog, wobblegobble, Vermin93, Daniel n, 5 invisible) and 121 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13286 Members
42 Forums
85281 Topics
1030754 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.241 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.