Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
#2471189 - 08/07/11 02:36 PM Re: Red Deer in Claiborne County???!!! [Re: jw0312]
Columbia Scott
6 Point

Loc: Columbia, Tennessee

I see. I'm not exactly sure I understand why it's a problem. The TWRA is re-introducing elk which once thrived here. That makes sense to me but they are also introducing fallow deer in Land Between the Lakes, a non native species. Do red deer pose a risk to elk and native species?

#2471202 - 08/07/11 02:59 PM Re: Red Deer in Claiborne County???!!! [Re: ]
knightrider
12 Point

Loc: tn

the majority are on the edge of cedarfork and over towards round top on old kentucky road with a few being in the south eastern edge of cavesprings

#2471225 - 08/07/11 03:13 PM Re: Red Deer in Claiborne County???!!! [Re: Columbia Scott]
BigSatt
10 Point

Loc: Northern Middle Tn.

Originally Posted By: Columbia Scott
I see. I'm not exactly sure I understand why it's a problem. The TWRA is re-introducing elk which once thrived here. That makes sense to me but they are also introducing fallow deer in Land Between the Lakes, a non native species. Do red deer pose a risk to elk and native species?

Land Between The Lakes is not controlled by TWRA.

#2471389 - 08/07/11 06:15 PM Re: Red Deer in Claiborne County???!!! [Re: BigSatt]
BigGameGuy
TWRA Biologist
12 Point

Loc: Nashville

Originally Posted By: BigSatt
 Originally Posted By: Columbia Scott

Land Between The Lakes is not controlled by TWRA.

Nor are there fallow deer that are being introduced. From my understanding, they are remnants of a long ago failed project. I wish I could say every decision made in the past by wildlife entities were smart decisions. They were definitely well-intentioned, but unfortunately sometimes we learn from our mistakes. And no...rattlesnakes, coyotes, mountain lions, and black panthers are not part of those mistakes. ;\)

#2471531 - 08/07/11 08:15 PM Re: Red Deer in Claiborne County???!!! [Re: BigGameGuy]
Columbia Scott
6 Point

Loc: Columbia, Tennessee

I read today that the suspected range of the Eastern Cougar may now extend to the Eastern and Western extremes of Tennessee. I, for one, am pleased to see the return of the Roosevelt elk, the Eastern Cougar and the red wolf. The introduction of the coyote east of the Mississippi river gave me some awesome targets! I hate the things, but they provide a great deal of fun. I didn't know that the fallow deer were a failed project. When I was a child, I never saw a deer. I saw a big tom turkey on a railroad track near Memphis and it was if I'd seen a dinosaur. The Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency has given us everything that we enjoy today. I support you!

#2471536 - 08/07/11 08:24 PM Re: Red Deer in Claiborne County???!!! [Re: ]
Good time Charlie
TnDeer Old Timer
12 Point

Loc: Tazewell

They escaped ,or were let loose from a farm on Cedar Fork in Claiborne,Right beside where I work,Have not seen them lately but we counted 23 one evening out the side door of the plant.

I am quite sure they are Red Stags,Bigger then a whitetail but not near as big as an Elk.I know a guy that used to feed them and heard the whole story,The man that owns them lives up north,he paid this guy to feed them and bought the feed.
When he Quit sending funds ,well the guy had no choice.
He could not afford to feed them himself,so He cut a big hole in the fence.And the rest is history,there were more then just Red stag to.
So now we are on the verge of a bad situation,disease and damage that they do.Knightrider you are not knocking on the right doors
Farmers are learning quick how devastating these animals are

#2471581 - 08/07/11 08:45 PM Re: Red Deer in Claiborne County???!!! [Re: Good time Charlie]
knightrider
12 Point

Loc: tn

Originally Posted By: Darton man
They escaped ,or were let loose from a farm on Cedar Fork in Claiborne,Right beside where I work,Have not seen them lately but we counted 23 one evening out the side door of the plant.

I am quite sure they are Red Stags,Bigger then a whitetail but not near as big as an Elk.I know a guy that used to feed them and heard the whole story,The man that owns them lives up north,he paid this guy to feed them and bought the feed.
He could not afford to feed them himself,so He cut a big hole in the fence.And the rest is history,there were more then just Red stag to.
So now we are on the verge of a bad situation,disease and damage that they do.Knightrider you are not knocking on the right doors
well than help me out on the right door to knock on lol

#2488138 - 08/20/11 07:46 PM Re: Red Deer in Claiborne County???!!! [Re: knightrider]
Doskil
6 Point

Loc: NC USA

So now we are on the verge of a bad situation,disease and damage that they do

What disease?

#2488305 - 08/20/11 10:33 PM Re: Red Deer in Claiborne County???!!! [Re: BigGameGuy]
Dusty
Button

Loc: Clinton, tn

Originally Posted By: BigGameGuy
TWRA did not release the red deer, they are escaped exotics that were turned over to the state and we want them dead. We hope you kill every last one of them.

if twra wanted them all dead so bad why in the world did they put a short season on them? why not do it like coyote's or any other year round no limit critter? the season that they set does not make any sense whatsoever if there wanting them all dead, "but most of the seasons and limits in tennessee do not make sense come to think of it"

#3187364 - 03/08/13 10:57 AM Re: Red Deer in Claiborne County???!!! [Re: Good time Charlie]
45min. to the stand
Spike

Loc: TN

Originally Posted By: Good time Charlie

What else was in there? Is there anywhere Ielse I can read about this?

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Deadeye14, woodie, Montana10point, sandman064, MossyOak30
13108 Registered Users
Who's Online
92 registered (THEdonkey0515, muddyboots, tn gunman, Tn Joe, Ahuntin1, Mossy Oak, 11 invisible) and 116 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13107 Members
42 Forums
88930 Topics
1040275 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.275 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.