Tndeer Logo

Page 5 of 6 « First<23456>
Topic Options
#224485 - 04/29/07 10:15 AM Re: HAND HELD GPS'S [Re: PMC, certified]
Still-n-Quiet
10 Point

Loc: San Antonio, TX

Pmc,

I got through step 2 and into step 3, but the map (the *.sav file) doesn't show anything in MapEdit (step 3).

Any clues?

Thanks.

Searching for the elusive "Moderate" liberal and "Moderate" Muslim. Maybe they are hiding together...

Μολων λαβε

#224999 - 04/30/07 09:52 AM Re: HAND HELD GPS'S [Re: Still-n-Quiet]
PMC, certified
14 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

Mike

In step 2 did you save it as a .mp file? It has to be .mp

Pmc

Beating Back Ignorance Since 2002

#225801 - 05/01/07 09:14 AM Re: HAND HELD GPS'S [Re: PMC, certified]
Still-n-Quiet
10 Point

Ok. Found out what I was doing wrong. Couple of observations:

If you select a large area (over a half a county or so), the file will most likely be broken up into chunks no bigger than 250MB. Each will have a button on the download page. Also, each additional bit of information you select will also have a button (streams, roads, railroads, etc.).

This is where my confusion began. I had mistakely assumed each button was just another mirror to download from.

Good news is that steps 1 through 3 have worked for me and I am pressing on. Bad news is that it is really limited to about 1/3 to 1/2 a county area. Meaning that I need to do this for each area I go hiking, hunting or mountain biking; which is quite a pain.

Thanks for all the help, though. I am going to get at least one of these done!

Searching for the elusive "Moderate" liberal and "Moderate" Muslim. Maybe they are hiding together...

Μολων λαβε

#225867 - 05/01/07 10:42 AM Re: HAND HELD GPS'S [Re: Still-n-Quiet]
PMC, certified
14 Point

Thanks for the update. I haven't done any topos as large as you are describing. Good Luck.

Pmc

#227824 - 05/03/07 01:33 PM Re: HAND HELD GPS'S [Re: PMC, certified]
Still-n-Quiet
10 Point

Well, now I've successfully completed step 3 and the expected topo lines show up. I am having a bear of a time getting the "Import" working for the *.shp files. I tried to download the streams and lake data from NHD, but map edit doesn't like their *.shp files. I can import the *.shp files from USGS seemless, but the names are just generic names (like "Intermediary Road" and "Stream").

Did you follow these steps from this site? Where did you get the roads info and the stream/lakes info?

Thanks!

Μολων λαβε

#227831 - 05/03/07 01:41 PM Re: HAND HELD GPS'S [Re: Still-n-Quiet]
PMC, certified
14 Point

I did not do the roads and streambeds. It was way more info than I needed for deer hunting.

Pmc

#229117 - 05/05/07 09:07 AM Re: HAND HELD GPS'S [Re: PMC, certified]
Eric/SpringCaller
Button

Loc: Middle TN, Wilson County

I use a lowrance I-Finder with the National Geographic Topo Software. I think it is kind of a pain to use when you are trying to hunt and use it. I find it very very useful in trying to scoute pre-season though. This year I have collected about 300 plus waypoints for rubs, scrapes, trails,bedding areas, food sources, and water. When your walking throught he woods logging this info in your head you forget a lot of it and it is almost impossible to pin point the best hunting areas. I have been able to find three new stand locations that I think will result in a nice deer this year. If any of you need a topo map let me know.
#241045 - 05/21/07 10:53 PM Re: HAND HELD GPS'S [Re: pastorbmp]
Boone 58
16 Point

Loc: Food Plot

good info, been thinkin of purchasing one for some time now

#253005 - 06/04/07 10:59 AM Re: HAND HELD GPS'S [Re: Boone 58]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

A couple weeks ago I received a new GPS that obsoletes about everything else available prior to now (at least for a reasonable price) - The Delorme Earthmate GPS PN-20 I've not mastered this one yet, but so far, I've been extremely impressed. And the viewing screen is the only one I've ever had that I could actually see well in bright sunlight.

This particular GPS is made by DeLorme (the map people), and it overlays real USGS 7.5-minute Quads along with aerial photographs.
You can check it out at http://www.delorme.com/PN20
I received a reduced price introductory deal on it (which included lots of accessories and aerial downloads), but the regular price is only $369.95 --- a real value considering . . . . . .

What I like about it best is that I now have "real" high resolution top maps (USGS 7.5-minute Quads) which are the same on both my handheld GPS and my computer, as well as aerial photographs. This solves my biggest past complaint with many other GPS units I've had in that their proprietary topo maps (by Magellan & Garmin) was not nearly as good or detailed as the Delorme maps I used on my computer.

Other key features include:

High resolution color screen with total clarity in conditions ranging from glaring sun to full darkness.

Outstanding signal retention under forest canopies.

Virtually unlimited data storage (uses SD cards in a waterproof storage compartment).

Electronic compass.

And it's completely waterproof.

#253075 - 06/04/07 12:34 PM Re: HAND HELD GPS'S [Re: Wes Parrish]
Hogbear
10 Point

Loc: Cuba (near Memphis)

Originally Posted By: WesParrish
[b]A couple weeks ago I received a new GPS that obsoletes about everything else...

Other key features include:

High resolution color screen with total clarity in conditions ranging from glaring sun to full darkness.

Outstanding signal retention under forest canopies.

Virtually unlimited data storage (uses SD cards in a waterproof storage compartment).

Electronic compass.

And it's completely waterproof.

It doesn't have an electronic compass but a "compass type display" that only works when you are moving according to Delorme's website and the reviews that I've read. Still, it sounds like a neat unit. Three pretty good reviews are here: http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/...%20GPS%20PN-20/

Page 5 of 6 « First<23456>

Moderator:  gtk, Tennessee Todd, Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Mik475, AaronB, Bad Wolf, jw3783, Jesse91
13279 Registered Users
Who's Online
73 registered (monsterbuck07, Takeum, W C, J.W.308, Tony USMC, jmoreland, 12 invisible) and 114 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13279 Members
42 Forums
93212 Topics
1089564 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.09 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.