Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Topic Options
#218152 - 04/19/07 10:23 PM Re: TWRC meeting [Re: David J]
BigGameGuy
TWRA Biologist
12 Point

Loc: Nashville

Originally Posted By: David J
And PMC, I had a counter for everything you brought up ----except the data you presented where you called the checking stations. That was some very good research. You caught me off guard with that one. Good Job! You need to e-mail BGG with the ones that you found were no longer check stations so they can take them off the list.

Don't worry David, I was going to shoot holes through that as well... ;\)

Seriously, I have a feeling PMC used the old check station list when he called the check stations. As of March 31st (turkey opener) the check station list on the TWRA website had been directly linked to our main database. That means if a check station closes (and we are notified), it is reflected on the website instatntaneously. Also, prior to the meeting, I used the last issue of our Big Game Check Station Guide (2004) and had one of our employees go through the entire list and highlight all the check stations that closed at 6:00 pm or earlier. It was only 15% not 25%. Regardless of the number, I felt 15% was even too much.

Anyhow, I think the new 36-hour rule will alleviate the vast majority of complaints. I also like the check station problem idea on the web.

All-in-all PMC you did a great job and I really appreciate you sending your fact sheet in advance. I really think we'll see some positive changes to the system that will make checking in big game much easier.

Edited by BigGameGuy (04/19/07 10:24 PM)

#218155 - 04/19/07 10:32 PM Re: TWRC meeting [Re: SAWDUST]
Winchester
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

I heard our leader has faith in KY's data and compared us to them again, during the meeting!
#218260 - 04/20/07 07:52 AM Re: TWRC meeting [Re: PMC, certified]
David J
Non-Typical

Loc: Harrison,Tn USA

Originally Posted By: PMC
I was pleased to hear Overton and Jackson counties would be moving to Unit B. I guess those fruit baskets to the commissioners did work.

Pmc

And don't forget Stewart County was moved in there as well. I am not even going to tell how much that move cost BSK and I.

#218267 - 04/20/07 08:00 AM Re: TWRC meeting [Re: David J]
David J
Non-Typical

BGG,

It only took you guys a year get the check stations online and sortable. \:\)

Now, add the GPS coordinates, a map link, phone numbers, check station ID and hours of operation if you want to make it useable.

I'll have the check station report up and running by the first of deer season And I will make sure that it e-mails you and Tabatha everytime somebody complains. With just a little more effort we could have it e-mail the Region Biologists also.

#218274 - 04/20/07 08:11 AM Re: TWRC meeting [Re: David J]
David J
Non-Typical

Winchester,

Had you been there you would have heard the whole story. Kentucky's age data was mentioned (once very breifly) but it was prefaced with a cavet and was an answer to a direct question from a Commissioner about Kentucky.

#218293 - 04/20/07 08:40 AM Re: TWRC meeting [Re: BigGameGuy]
Radar
Non-Typical

Loc: Kansas City, Mo.

Originally Posted By: BigGameGuy
 Originally Posted By: David J
And PMC, I had a counter for everything you brought up ----except the data you presented where you called the checking stations. That was some very good research. You caught me off guard with that one. Good Job! You need to e-mail BGG with the ones that you found were no longer check stations so they can take them off the list.

Don't worry David, I was going to shoot holes through that as well... ;\)

Seriously, I have a feeling PMC used the old check station list when he called the check stations. As of March 31st (turkey opener) the check station list on the TWRA website had been directly linked to our main database. That means if a check station closes (and we are notified), it is reflected on the website instatntaneously. Also, prior to the meeting, I used the last issue of our Big Game Check Station Guide (2004) and had one of our employees go through the entire list and highlight all the check stations that closed at 6:00 pm or earlier. It was only 15% not 25%. Regardless of the number, I felt 15% was even too much.

Anyhow, I think the new 36-hour rule will alleviate the vast majority of complaints. I also like the check station problem idea on the web.

All-in-all PMC you did a great job and I really appreciate you sending your fact sheet in advance. I really think we'll see some positive changes to the system that will make checking in big game much easier.

Did you highlight all of the check stations that close early on Sunday afternoons too ? Your percentage will go up , because more check stations close early on Sundays than they do during the week . You might want to highlight those that close at 7:00 pm also , because in early bow season it's tough to get a deer out of the woods and to the checking station in time .

Edited by Radar (04/20/07 08:42 AM)

#218300 - 04/20/07 08:52 AM Re: TWRC meeting [Re: Radar]
Anonymous TnDeer Old Timer
Unregistered

Radar, that is where Fordman enlightened the commisioners to that problem ! got that point across very well !!!
#218307 - 04/20/07 09:05 AM Re: TWRC meeting [Re: Radar]
PMC, certified
14 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

I did my survey March 18 - March 20 with the Check station guide as published for 2006 (PDF Version downloaded from TWRA Website)

I first had a random number generator assign a number to each station. Then I ordered the list from smallest number to largest. I then began calling the number listed and asked the following questions.

#1 Are you a big game check station?
If they answered yes I then asked the following questions

#2 What hours are you open during the week?
#3 What Hours are you open on the Saturday and Sunday?
#4 Are you open Holidays, Thanksgiving, Christmas & New Years Day?

Of the 166 I called (between the hours of 10 - noon & 2pm to 4pm
45 Did not answer the phone so I did not include them.
13 (8%) were a disconnected or not in service.

Of the remaining 121
6% answered NO to Question 1
25% answered question #2 with 6pm or earlier (some as early as 3 pm)
23% were closed on Sunday
19% Close before 6 pm on Sunday
39% were closed at least some Holidays. ( the most common being Christmas, followed by Thanksgiving and New years)

I am glad the commissioner passed along the information we sent them. Which card did you like best? Fishboy's was good because of the goofy look on his face \:D

Pmc

Beating Back Ignorance Since 2002

#218468 - 04/20/07 03:42 PM Re: TWRC meeting [Re: PMC, certified]
PMC, certified
14 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

This is the list I used.
http://www.state.tn.us/twra/agentsbycounty.pdf

Pmc

Beating Back Ignorance Since 2002

#218529 - 04/20/07 06:16 PM Re: TWRC meeting [Re: PMC, certified]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

I just got back and am getting caught up. Great job to all and I am very happy with the outcome.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

Page 3 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
11 registered (John Harris, mayberryrick, Rifle06, jdtf, 416wbymag, redlegs07, 1 invisible) and 93 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180122 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.008 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.