Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#2063960 - 09/09/10 04:53 PM Steps for a Euro Mount?
rem270
18 Point

Loc: south fulton

Im wanting to try my first european mount this year and would like a step by step process to go by. im wanting to boil the skull instead of just put it in the ground. thanks for any help

Its not what happens in life, but how you react to it that matters.

#2064155 - 09/09/10 07:33 PM Re: Steps for a Euro Mount? [Re: rem270]
big 8's in Weakley county
16 Point

Why dont you just ask claw lol
http://www.disabledsportsmenusa.proboards.com/index.cgi

#2064184 - 09/09/10 07:54 PM Re: Steps for a Euro Mount? [Re: big 8's in Weakley county]
rem270
18 Point

i aint asking him anything. im gonna try to start doing it myself. look how much business i give him, i could have that for myself.

#2064192 - 09/09/10 07:56 PM Re: Steps for a Euro Mount? [Re: rem270]
big 8's in Weakley county
16 Point

lol yep i will let you try one out if i kill one this year lol
http://www.disabledsportsmenusa.proboards.com/index.cgi

#2066386 - 09/11/10 01:14 PM Re: Steps for a Euro Mount? [Re: big 8's in Weakley county]
KANATI McD
8 Point

Loc: West, TN.

"HOOK" used to have a step by step article somewhere on this site, but danged if i can find it....

#2066722 - 09/11/10 05:14 PM Re: Steps for a Euro Mount? [Re: KANATI McD]
GOHUNT
8 Point

Loc: Upper East TN

Methods very, but here is how I've done SEVERAL!

Begin by skinning the head and removing all the flesh that you can within reason. If you want the lower jaw to be included leave it intact. If not, remove and discard. Soak the head for three days in water, changing the water daily. On the third day it is time to cook. I use a propane turkey cooker with a water-bath canner as the pot (black enameled with speckles). Wrap the base of the horns tightly in tin foil to prevent the grease that is going to float out from turning the horns dark. Fully submerge the skull in the water and begin the boiling process. I usually try to do two at once. Boiling takes between 3-5 hours but you donít have to ďbaby-sitĒ the process. I go home on my lunch hour and put them in the cooker. When I get home around 4:15, they are getting close to being done. Keep adding water so as to not let the skulls become exposed.

Once the meat appears to be falling off the bone, I use hemostats to pick the meat from the surface. After picking the bulk of the meat off it is usually necessary to boil a little longer to finish cooking any newly exposed meat. Removal of all fleshy tissue without overcooking (which loosens the bone sections from each other) is really important for the finished product to look good and clean. Donít forget to remove the brains, which I usually do by scrambling to a mush then raking it out with the hemostats and flushing with a garden hose. Be careful when removing the flesh from the nasal cavity as there are some very fragile bone structures inside that, when left intact, look really good on the finished product. You donít typically get this with a skull youíve found out in the woods.

Once you think the skull is clean, use a small brush and soapy water to remove any visible leftovers from the bone. I usually go over it thoroughly but carefully. Remove the foil from the horns and with a brush and really hot tap water scrub them good around the base as some fat will without a doubt build up here. Donít be alarmed if the two front nose or upper lip bone structures come off. They are easily replaces just before starting the drying process.

Now is the bleaching process. I use a cheap aluminum foil roast pan for the soaking vat. Set the skull down in the pan and carefully pour hydrogen peroxide in up to the highest level you can without it coming in contact with the base of the horns. This will leave the face of the skull exposed. To ensure good bleaching, use a clean, soft towel, (I use heavy duty paper towels) to cover the exposed areas of the skull and to wick the peroxide up to these areas. Wrap the towels up to the base of the horns, but not up on the brown parts. It is important to never let the skull dry out between the time it comes out of the boiling water until the process is complete. Baste the paper towels with peroxide and let soak for 24 hours or so.

Remove the skull and rinse well. Now is the time to do any final flesh removal especially in any orifices and cavities. Rinse again and, if necessary, replace the bone structure of the upper lip. It will stay in place after drying. At this point, I put mine behind the dehumidifier for a few hours to facilitate the drying process.

...wearing camo and got ammo...

#2066736 - 09/11/10 05:25 PM Re: Steps for a Euro Mount? [Re: GOHUNT]
rem270
18 Point

Thanks GOHUNT, with your tips and the help of few others i think i can do this this season.

#2067401 - 09/12/10 08:02 AM Re: Steps for a Euro Mount? [Re: rem270]
HOOK
TnDeer Old Timer
16 Point

Loc: Rutherford County, TN

Well I wrote a full lenght artical on the process several years ago but someone took off all the Hunting Articals that several of us work so hard to produce.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  gtk, Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
JPG3, red arrow, ICUFLY, east_tn_gk, cruiser sailor
13210 Registered Users
Who's Online
129 registered (Harvester, mhale22, downthebrown, cbhunter, Andy S., kasey, 13 invisible) and 140 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13210 Members
42 Forums
91613 Topics
1070774 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.114 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.