Tndeer Logo

Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Topic Options
#1760741 - 02/01/10 09:37 PM Re: Who's guilty [Re: ]
Buck Assassin
10 Point

Loc: cocke county, TN

Happend to me and my brother last year! After a hour and a half and a 400 yard stalk we found out it was a decoy! You would think it would finally click why ain't that bird moving! lol!

We started carrying binos after that!

Edited by Buck Assassin (02/01/10 09:37 PM)

Round here we follow the motto "K.I.S.S" KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID!

#1760976 - 02/02/10 05:33 AM Re: Who's guilty [Re: Buck Assassin]
Setterman
8 Point

Loc: Knoxville, TN

It has nothing to do with me not agreeing with how someone hunts. We are out there to kill them, period. However, just take a deep breath and think about what you all are talking about.

Ruger, relocating on a gobbling bird, is a vast stretch from crawling up on a decoy set-up.

I hope no one ever gets shot sneaking dekes, I really do. IMO it is a hazard which could be avoided.

#1761359 - 02/02/10 09:42 AM Re: Who's guilty [Re: mathews338]
VolDoug
TnDeer Old Timer
10 Point

Loc: Plateau

Originally Posted By: mathews338
so i got up keeping the cows between me and the turkey and slowly walked with the cows and it worked i got that bird it was about 35 yards

So, how did the cow react when you shot off of its back \:D ?

Ditto on being startled by my own decoy a few times. That's when you look around to make sure no one saw you jump \:D !

#1761385 - 02/02/10 09:55 AM Re: Who's guilty [Re: Setterman]
RUGER Administrator
Bambi Killa
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

Originally Posted By: Setterman
It has nothing to do with me not agreeing with how someone hunts. We are out there to kill them, period. However, just take a deep breath and think about what you all are talking about.

Ruger, relocating on a gobbling bird, is a vast stretch from crawling up on a decoy set-up.

I hope no one ever gets shot sneaking dekes, I really do. IMO it is a hazard which could be avoided.

I apologize, I took your post as that you were saying if you snuck up on a LIVE bird, you weren't as good a hunter as someone that called one up.

I may sneak up on a decoy this coming opening day but if I do it will be the first time.
Yes I have seen decoy's out before and just about peed myself but a little looking through some binoculars will tell you quick that it isn't a live bird.
In the first place as soon as I see a bird before I do ANYTHING I watch to see which direction they are traveling, NOT what direction they are looking. I have seen birds literally doing figure 8's, but after watching them for a few minutes you can figure out which direction they are headed.
I promise you they are going SOMEWHERE, it just might take you a few minutes to figure out what that direction is. ;\)

That keeps me from moving on a decoy and keeps me from getting shot or messing up someone else's set up.
Someone that intentionally busts through a set up, well, I hope nobody gets shot either.

#1761414 - 02/02/10 10:21 AM Re: Who's guilty [Re: Setterman]
Baxter83
Good ol' Boys
12 Point

Loc: Winchester, TN

Originally Posted By: Setterman
Errrr, no, exactly why "sneaking" on turkeys is not advised or safe.

no sneaking = no fun

\:D

That's part of it.

#1761702 - 02/02/10 01:22 PM Re: Who's guilty [Re: Baxter83]
VolDoug
TnDeer Old Timer
10 Point

Like others have said, this can be dangerous. I have a buddy who almost got shot on Catoosa a couple of years back when a guy came in from the opposite direction on a gobbler he was working.

Of course, he was coming to the gobbling and not dekes, but the same thing applies. The guy used a little drain to slip within range of the gobbler. What he didn't know was that my buddy was on the other side of the bird. He didn't get hit, but the shot hit all around him. Scared the crap out of him as he had no idea the guy was anywhere around.

#1761766 - 02/02/10 01:50 PM Re: Who's guilty [Re: VolDoug]
mathews338
12 Point

Loc: jackson co.

Originally Posted By: VolDoug
Like others have said, this can be dangerous. I have a buddy who almost got shot on Catoosa a couple of years back when a guy came in from the opposite direction on a gobbler he was working.

Of course, he was coming to the gobbling and not dekes, but the same thing applies. The guy used a little drain to slip within range of the gobbler. What he didn't know was that my buddy was on the other side of the bird. He didn't get hit, but the shot hit all around him. Scared the crap out of him as he had no idea the guy was anywhere around.
how mad was your buddy

i think i would have lost my cool

#1761811 - 02/02/10 02:14 PM Re: Who's guilty [Re: mathews338]
VolDoug
TnDeer Old Timer
10 Point

Originally Posted By: mathews338
how mad was your buddy

i think i would have lost my cool

Very mad, after the fact, but more shook up right when it occurred. I think he yelled when he got his senses, but the other guy must have freaked, and ran off.

But, it was public land, and the guy had made a move on a gobbling bird, and probably had no idea my buddy was there as he hadn't called much and they were deep in the woods and could have came in from different directions.

#1762185 - 02/02/10 05:31 PM Re: Who's guilty [Re: ]
tnmtnman
4 Point

Loc: East TN Mountains

A former hunting buddy went to sleep and when he woke up there before him was a gobbler. He shot and had forgotten that he had set up his decoy before the nap. Made the mistake of telling his wife and she told EVERYONE. Stopped hunting with him when he stalked ME one morning.

#1762422 - 02/02/10 06:57 PM Re: Who's guilty [Re: ]
Yelper
Spike

Loc: Mississippi

I've set up first thing in the morning on a field only to have the birds go the other way. So I start off "running and gunning" and leave my decoys in the field. After 3 hours or so I come walking back out on the edge of the field I started at in the morning and ALMOST started a sneak on my own decoy!!

That pretty boy is realistic with a real fan, but I don't like toting him around too much!

Page 3 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, Bobby G, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, Grizzly Johnson, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered and 62 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180122 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.007 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.