Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#1698311 - 12/31/09 01:13 AM Knight Muzzleloader Breach plug ?
tnbucs1
4 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

Does anyone have any tips on removing a stubborn breach plug?
#1698336 - 12/31/09 04:29 AM Re: Knight Muzzleloader Breach plug ? [Re: tnbucs1]
KENBOB10
16 Point

Loc: Benton tn. Polk Co.

Unload it first (shoot it). You will probably have to put it in a vice taking care not to damage your stock. Put your breach tool into the slot and get a heavy screwdriver or piece of metal to go through the hole in the tool. Begin gently tapping the piece or screwdriver with something heavy enough to move it.(Unscrewing it) You will have to keep the pressure on the breach tool keeping it in the slot. Make sure it is unloaded before doing anything. When you get it off use a little high quality grease and coat the threads of the plug before you put it back in. Again unload it (shoot it) before beginning.

Edited by KENBOB10 (12/31/09 04:29 AM)

#1698485 - 12/31/09 07:31 AM Re: Knight Muzzleloader Breach plug ? [Re: KENBOB10]
FULLDRAWXX75
12 Point

Loc: Adirondack Mtns, NY

Definitely unload it, then plug the nipple and pour about a 1/4 cup of boiling hot water mixed with dish soap down the end of the barrel and let is set for a while.

Usually, it is the crud build up on the chamber end of the plug that causes the problems not the threads themselves..............

I would also suggest (after emptying the water), tap the plug with a brass punch and hammer to jar it loose, then try your removal tool.

NOTE: Never, never heat the barrel or plug with a torch to loosen it. (heat gun or hair dryer maybe)

FDXX75

#1698505 - 12/31/09 07:50 AM Re: Knight Muzzleloader Breach plug ? [Re: FULLDRAWXX75]
KENBOB10
16 Point

Loc: Benton tn. Polk Co.

Originally Posted By: FULLDRAWXX75
Definitely unload it, then plug the nipple and pour about a 1/4 cup of boiling hot water mixed with dish soap down the end of the barrel and let is set for a while.

Usually, it is the crud build up on the chamber end of the plug that causes the problems not the threads themselves..............

I would also suggest (after emptying the water), tap the plug with a brass punch and hammer to jar it loose, then try your removal tool.

NOTE: Never, never heat the barrel or plug with a torch to loosen it. (heat gun or hair dryer maybe)

FDXX75

Do you also use lube when you replace it Fulldraw? Works good for me.

#1698519 - 12/31/09 08:00 AM Re: Knight Muzzleloader Breach plug ? [Re: KENBOB10]
WestTn Huntin'man
16 Point

Loc: Benton Co.

Soak a patch with Break Free or another type of penatrating oil run it down the barrel and leave the patch and ram rod in. Soak the nipple end with penatrating oil also .Let it sit barrel down over night/24 hours or so.Get a 3/8ths " ratchet ,extenison and deep well socket that fits the plug.A 1/2" socket won't work the walls are too thick. Put your barrel in a vise and ease it out. You might have to put a cheater bar on the the rachet to give you a little leverage.
Sound like I've been there done that ?? I have and have helped several others.
Proverbs 3:27 Whenever you possibly can, do good to those who need it

#1698609 - 12/31/09 08:43 AM Re: Knight Muzzleloader Breach plug ? [Re: KENBOB10]
FULLDRAWXX75
12 Point

Originally Posted By: KENBOB10
 Originally Posted By: FULLDRAWXX75

FDXX75

Do you also use lube when you replace it Fulldraw? Works good for me.

Always, I have used the T/C plug grease for yrs. never a problem.

#1698615 - 12/31/09 08:45 AM Re: Knight Muzzleloader Breach plug ? [Re: WestTn Huntin'man]
FULLDRAWXX75
12 Point

Originally Posted By: WestTn Huntin'man
Soak a patch with Break Free or another type of penatrating oil run it down the barrel and leave the patch and ram rod in. Soak the nipple end with penatrating oil also .Let it sit barrel down over night/24 hours or so.Get a 3/8ths " ratchet ,extenison and deep well socket that fits the plug.A 1/2" socket won't work the walls are too thick. Put your barrel in a vise and ease it out. You might have to put a cheater bar on the the rachet to give you a little leverage.
Sound like I've been there done that ?? I have and have helped several others.

The ratchet will only work if the plug has the hex head, my Knight had a slotted/round plug............I hated that thing.

My T/C has a hex plug, and yes it is 1/2"

FDXX75

#1709600 - 01/05/10 09:41 PM Re: Knight Muzzleloader Breach plug ? [Re: FULLDRAWXX75]
cateyes
6 Point

Loc: knoxville

I used the hot soapy water trick on mine the last time and it worked well. I also used a solvent cleaner on a rag that i put on my cleaning rod and left it in the barrel for a couple of hours.
Both ways work with a little elbow grease.

#1716852 - 01/09/10 08:05 PM Re: Knight Muzzleloader Breach plug ? [Re: cateyes]
Bertman
16 Point

Loc: TREESTAND

If all fails throw away and buy a new one.

#1717115 - 01/09/10 11:14 PM Re: Knight Muzzleloader Breach plug ? [Re: Bertman]
deerjackie
6 Point

Loc: henry co tn

is it a disc rifle? if so shoot it if loaded and leave disc and spent primer on the nipple. stand gun muzzle up and fill bbl with half a can of penetrating oil and leave it. if its a disc it wont leak. leave for a week if you can at room temp then pour oil out and break plug loose. then go to auto parts store and get a tube of ANTI-SEIZE and put on threads. you will never have this problem again.good luck. hope this helped. i was warned years ago the day i bought my first inline. antiseize works on nipple threads of sidelocks also.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  gtk, Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Urban deer Hunter, Mclem135, Cch, Timberninja31, Claims Rep.
13266 Registered Users
Who's Online
14 registered (junebugwapiti, MUP, Doc Stone, Engine2c, bradshaw34, rutdog) and 52 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13266 Members
42 Forums
92902 Topics
1085472 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.115 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.