Tndeer Logo

Page all of 2 12>
Topic Options
#1694464 - 12/28/09 09:57 PM Not the biggest, but memorable catches
moondawg
16 Point

Loc: Millington, TN

Biggest bass thread got me to thinking.

I don't remember the biggest bass I've caught, I've never weighed my fish. But I remember a few good catches, and some details of the catch. Sometimes the details/fight of the catch are better than the weight.

I caught a decent sized largemouth at Sunk Lake one spring. My brother and I stopped by to fish it on the way home from the Lower Hatchie lakes. We were just about to leave and I said "one more cast..." and threw a 1/8 oz blue/chartruese spinnerbait. As it landed I actually saw the bass swim to it and strike! I reeled it in and upon reaching for it, it bumped against the dock...and dropped back into the water, with my spinnerbait. Man, what a fight!

A few years ago, I was fishing at a dock at Boone Lake in Bluff City. I was fishing a fat-rap shad crankbait. I'd cast and reel it all the way in, leaning over the rail...when a fish grabbed my lure, but I didn't set the hook. I did the same retrieve again, and the fish struck again...this time getting hooked. Turns out it was a nice sized rainbow trout! It was a handful!

#1694612 - 12/29/09 05:32 AM Re: Not the biggest, but memorable catches [Re: moondawg]
bigluresonly
6 Point

Loc: Cookeville

I remember when i was about 14 I got up before dawn and rode my bicycle with pole and 5gallon bucket about a mile to my grandfathers friends farm pond. Floating rapala, twitch twitch pause- the summer water exploded as the fog lifted up off the pond- a tad over 7lbs this is still the biggest large mouth I have ever caught- I was hooked for life...
#1694715 - 12/29/09 07:42 AM Re: Not the biggest, but memorable catches [Re: bigluresonly]
jakeway
TnDeer Old Timer
10 Point

Loc: Hendersonville, TN, USA

Most memorable catch I had was when I first moved to Tennessee. I asked a local bait shop owner about walley fishing here. He told me his secret, and finished it with "You won't catch a lot, but what you catch will be nice ones."

This was caught the first night after about 5 minutes.

#1695683 - 12/29/09 07:12 PM Re: Not the biggest, but memorable catches [Re: jakeway]
shorefisherman
6 Point

Loc: West SSiiide Putnam Co.

nice wally jakeway,
i remember me and a buddy of mine were floating the caney when he caught a 16-17 inch brown when all the sudden we saw something following it, at first i thought it was its swimming buddy or something. he reeled the fish in closer to the boat is when we saw it was another big brown trying to eat it. kinda reminded me of jaws, chomping its mouth on the surface. it finally clamped down on its tail and would not let go..this was happening at the side of the boat. this fish did not care that we were there, it just wanted the food.
my bud said to get the net, but my net was too small. by this time he had tried to grab it by the tail but it let go of the brown, but it was still swimmin around i threw out my rgular bait and it wouldnt even look at it, so i threw out a 8 inch rainbow swim bait, it bit it once but didnt hook it and that was last time ive seen em. i guess this would be the one that got away story, but ill never forget that mouth chomping on the surface trying to eat a 17 inch brown. very memorable moment.
oh btw we floated down couple hundred yards to gather what just happened and forgot about the brown, it was still swimmin with the lure in its mouth. felt bad for the poor thing,it was all scratched up n stuff.

#1696137 - 12/29/09 10:38 PM Re: Not the biggest, but memorable catches [Re: shorefisherman]
turkeyhunter64
8 Point

Loc: TN

Last year was very memorable for me. Fishing out of Indian Creek on Center Hill caught 2 largemouth back to back throws on a spinner bait one was 6.4 and the other was 7.2 lbs. Did not catch another fish that day but in 3 days I boated 4 fish over 6.

#1696153 - 12/29/09 10:49 PM Re: Not the biggest, but memorable catches [Re: moondawg]
4onaside
12 Point

Loc: Jackson,Tn

Originally Posted By: moondawg
Biggest bass thread got me to thinking.

I don't remember the biggest bass I've caught, I've never weighed my fish. But I remember a few good catches, and some details of the catch. Sometimes the details/fight of the catch are better than the weight.

I caught a decent sized largemouth at Sunk Lake one spring. My brother and I stopped by to fish it on the way home from the Lower Hatchie lakes. We were just about to leave and I said "one more cast..." and threw a 1/8 oz blue/chartruese spinnerbait. As it landed I actually saw the bass swim to it and strike! I reeled it in and upon reaching for it, it bumped against the dock...and dropped back into the water, with my spinnerbait. Man, what a fight!

A few years ago, I was fishing at a dock at Boone Lake in Bluff City. I was fishing a fat-rap shad crankbait. I'd cast and reel it all the way in, leaning over the rail...when a fish grabbed my lure, but I didn't set the hook. I did the same retrieve again, and the fish struck again...this time getting hooked. Turns out it was a nice sized rainbow trout! It was a handful!
There's a dock at Sunk lake?? I thought that it was mainly a gar and shad water that nobody ever fished?

Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish proverb

#1696273 - 12/30/09 04:02 AM Re: Not the biggest, but memorable catches [Re: 4onaside]
moondawg
16 Point

Loc: Millington, TN

Originally Posted By: 4onaside
There's a dock at Sunk lake?? I thought that it was mainly a gar and shad water that nobody ever fished?

I'm pretty sure it's Sunk Lake. I'll have to go check, now that you mention it. \:D

There a boardwalk there or something like that. And that area is affected by flooding of the Mississippi river. So who knows, if the waters get high enough...there's no telling what's in there.

This was in March, and the water was pretty clear.

#1697378 - 12/30/09 04:48 PM Re: Not the biggest, but memorable catches [Re: moondawg]
4onaside
12 Point

Loc: Jackson,Tn

Originally Posted By: 4onaside

I'm pretty sure it's Sunk Lake. I'll have to go check, now that you mention it. \:D

There a boardwalk there or something like that. And that area is affected by flooding of the Mississippi river. So who knows, if the waters get high enough...there's no telling what's in there.

This was in March, and the water was pretty clear.
I've never laid eyes on it, but I have fished Crutchers before,and have hunted Tully right there at it, and I read what I said about Sunk(I've been by it on the road) in the West Tennessee Fishing map guide. I knew a guy that fished it years ago, and did not give it very high marks. All that, however, has nothing to do with whether or not there is a dock there. LOL

Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish proverb

#1700191 - 12/31/09 09:50 PM Re: Not the biggest, but memorable catches [Re: 4onaside]
44fanatic
12 Point

Loc: Clarksville, Montgomery Cnty

Was salmon fishing off of a pier at the opening of a river out side of Olympia WA. The tide was just right and the salmon were stacking up.

Must have hooked up on about 50 fish that day. Lost about 20 of them as they got up in the pilings and cut my line. Had to make a run to Walmart to get more "buzz bombs" after I cleaned out my tackle box...anything silver they were hitting (spoons, flatfish, buzzbombs, etc).

In the end I took home a 5lb silver and a 8lb chinook.

One of the things that made it very memorable was hooking up on the silvers and them fighting on the surface...

#1700528 - 01/01/10 06:57 AM Re: Not the biggest, but memorable catches [Re: 44fanatic]
RUGER Administrator
Bambi Killa
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

Cool thread.

#1704560 - 01/03/10 10:43 AM Re: Not the biggest, but memorable catches [Re: ]
shopson
10 Point

Loc: Greeneville

When I was a boy we spent a lot of time around this small creek in bike riding or even walking distance of the house. It had some trout in it and we would sit on the bridge and catch several 6-8 inchers. There was a tree root overhanging the creek and a 3 foot pool above the bridge and I spotted a 12" rainbow in that hole. I would crawl out on the roots, look down into the pool and see it laying there, along with other smaller trout. I'd put a doughball on my hook and ease it down in front of him. He would act like it wasn't there. After several frustrating trips I finally got lucky. It finally ate the doughball and I got him. To watch him get the bait and pull the line and fish in by hand was a big deal for a young boy and something I'll never forget.
#1704768 - 01/03/10 12:16 PM Re: Not the biggest, but memorable catches [Re: shopson]
Crosshairy
10 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

My cousin and I got dropped off at a local river flowing into the Kentucky Lake when we were teenagers. The crappie and white bass were both biting like crazy that day. We were supposed to be picked up at about 5 pm. When we got back to the truck we were both carrying heavy stringers of crappie and white bass. My dad and younger brother saw the catch and said "well, I guess we could fish a LITTLE longer".

I bet I caught 200+ fish over the course of that afternoon. Between the four of us fishing until dark we had two stringesr of keepers dragging the ground, and who knows how many were thrown back. Fun, fun times.

#1704827 - 01/03/10 01:01 PM Re: Not the biggest, but memorable catches [Re: moondawg]
TN RDG RNR
12 Point

Loc: Rhea County

My most memorable fishing trip was a deep sea fishing trip. I got deployed twice to a tiny island in the middle of the Indian Ocean a couple years ago. (Diego Garcia) My best friend and I chartered a boat for the day. Here's some pics.

We had some good eatin that night.

#1704876 - 01/03/10 01:28 PM Re: Not the biggest, but memorable catches [Re: TN RDG RNR]
trealtree
16 Point

Loc: Middle Tennessee

My first tarpon catch in the florida keys fought him for hours on 20lb test. Watching my wife try to reel in her first tarpon....Priceless

Page all of 2 12>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
JPG3, red arrow, ICUFLY, east_tn_gk, cruiser sailor
13210 Registered Users
Who's Online
6 registered (BamaProud, stik, LIL JOKER, MoonBuzzard, Nealmeally, 1 invisible) and 43 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13210 Members
42 Forums
91719 Topics
1071924 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.092 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.