Tndeer Logo

Page 3 of 3 <123
Topic Options
#16568 - 01/12/07 10:42 AM Re: which makes more sense-guillie or ground blind ?
CPerkins
6 Point

Loc: Collierville, TN

Quote:
Originally posted by Crooksight:
C Perkins, saw your feedback on ebay. looks like to good to be true. let me know how you like yours. how much does it weigh? i may have to order one if it's the real deal. nice price !
I will post pics as soon as I can and see if anyone can find me \:\)
As far as weight, I weighed them on a bathroom scale last night, and they weight less that 2.5 pounds for the jacket and pants. Its my first ghillie, but I am very pleased

#16569 - 01/12/07 02:48 PM Re: which makes more sense-guillie or ground blind ?
Anonymous TnDeer Old Timer
Unregistered

yep, would like to see a pic of suit. i emailed the guy you got yours from C.P., he said weight was 4lbs. do you think the xl size would be right for someone 5'8" ,200 lbs. ?
#16570 - 01/20/07 09:44 AM Re: which makes more sense-guillie or ground blind ?
wyo-transplant
4 Point

Loc: Lebanon, TN

I made mine out of burlap. You used to get different colors at JoAnns Fabric or even Walmart. I basicly got a big piece I thing its 30" x 6'. I folded it then sewed up the sides until I got it to where I had arm room at the top and stopped at hip leve. I had the piece go on past the hip area until it hung down to between my hips and knees. Make it big enough to have clothes on underneath it. The arm pieces are made alittle longet than your arms about to the knuckles. I made my pieces to hang down both sides of my arms past them about 2" on eack side if you hold them stretched out on both sides of your body (like a "T") I then make another piece like my pants. You will have to try these on as your making them, I then had green,dark brown, light brown burlap. I also got dark green,light brown, dark brown yarn. First cut the burlap, cut squigglys "S" shaped, strips, elongated pieces. of each color of burlap. This will be put on the oustide of the suite. I put the strips on with the yarn.I double stitched and double knotted it. Also have yarn pieces about 10 inches long, these are put through the suit and folded the a knot is tied. This is partly for show and to tie foliage to that will imitate your surrounding foliage you will be hunting in. I have a pair of levis with a padded area on front of the legs, and a heavy levi type shirt. This is to go under the suit. The arms are held on my arm with velcro sewed onto black stretch fabric. They hold good.
As you make the suit make everything overlap and on arms hang down. While making the suit I was outside, because it's going to have dust bunnies and stray strings comeing off it bad. I got two plastic hangers,taped them together and hung the suit off it while making it.
While it's done definately get a bag to carry it in. Make it at least twice as big. You will need the room when you get extra pieces of foilage stuck onto it. I used a bag with a zipper top that I got on sale at walmart. But make the suit before you buy the bag.
I find it helps to spray the suit with bug spray inside and out.A day before you use it. I use the hunting friendly kind. Also don't restore the suit when it's wet, it will mold down here. I does look cool hanging on the clothes line or garden fence. People really do a double take when first seeing one.
Me and a buddy made ours at the same time on a weekend. We had fun. I got my origional plans from the survival magazine when it was selling at newstands. That was a looooonnnggg time ago.

#16571 - 01/30/07 07:57 PM Re: which makes more sense-guillie or ground blind ?
DROPTINE33
4 Point

Loc: Falling Water, TN

Icon 1 posted 12-25-2006 07:20 PM Profile for Cull Buck Hunter Email Cull Buck Hunter Send New Private Message Edit/Delete Post Reply With Quote I like a popup blind because I use it for deer and turkey all season long, and it hides the kids movement.

--------------------
All hail the Barnes X bullet!!!
Posts: 301 | From: Cleveland,TN | Registered: Dec 2005 | IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coyote170
Button
Member # 6379

I agree, blinds work best for the kids. its also great for all day sits. You can read mags., eat lunch, or just stand up and stretch when needed. I would pick the blind.
;\)

#16572 - 01/30/07 07:59 PM Re: which makes more sense-guillie or ground blind ?
DROPTINE33
4 Point

Loc: Falling Water, TN

Icon 1 posted 12-25-2006 07:20 PM Profile for Cull Buck Hunter Email Cull Buck Hunter Send New Private Message Edit/Delete Post Reply With Quote I like a popup blind because I use it for deer and turkey all season long, and it hides the kids movement.

--------------------
All hail the Barnes X bullet!!!
Posts: 301 | From: Cleveland,TN | Registered: Dec 2005 | IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coyote170
Button
Member # 6379

I agree, blinds work best for the kids. its also great for all day sits. You can read mags., eat lunch, or just stand up and stretch when needed. I would pick the blind.
;\)

#16573 - 02/02/07 05:58 PM Re: which makes more sense-guillie or ground blind ?
FULLDRAWXX75
12 Point

Loc: Adirondack Mtns, NY

I have used and still use both, each has it's purpose, pending on scenerio. I have a homemade gillie suit (poncho) I took a inexpensive hooded rain poncho and hot glued varied lengths of camo burlap all over it, I bought a small pack and roll the poncho up and store in the pack, and to care it in to the woods with. I do not recommend still hunting in a gillie, it is very dangerous.
I use it often after reaching my stand or small natural blind.
I have a pop up blind that I use if I plan on staying in one area all day, or if the weather calls for heavy rain through out the day, mine is not all that big, and closes up to a little over 2' circle and slips inside a zippered pouch.
I like both, but again, each has it's purpose.

Note: the poncho can be turned inside out and used as rain gear also, and the burlap acts like an extra layer of clothing if you get a chill.

Good luck,

FDXX75

#16574 - 02/15/07 07:55 PM Re: which makes more sense-guillie or ground blind ?
PDenning25
8 Point

Loc: Santa Fe TN

I have started to assemble my ghillie suit
Got the netting got the jute and burlap and have the BDU shirt on the way
Its gonna be to just above the knees
I will have a bonnie hat with a bug mesh face and ghillie hood attached
Cant wait to not be seen in it
here turkey
Pat

The Sheppards Prayer:
Dear Lord,
Please don't let us screw up
-Alan Sheppard

#16575 - 02/25/07 07:20 PM Re: which makes more sense-guillie or ground blind ?
mechanic122
4 Point

Loc: lawrence county tn

i like the blind because of body movement and they keep the wind off i have shot several deer from my blind
#16576 - 02/26/07 07:17 PM Re: which makes more sense-guillie or ground blind ?
Anonymous TnDeer Old Timer
Unregistered

this is what i finally decided on. it came in the mail the other day. i think this outfit is gonna be the real deal. it is light, has extremely good ventilation + i can wear over warm clothes to use all season, Sweet! http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/...0132&hasJS=true
Page 3 of 3 <123

Moderator:  gtk, Tennessee Todd, Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TnDear, buckslayer85, crose84, Fisher 1959, AKeys
13384 Registered Users
Who's Online
126 registered (redhunterZ71, jlrobbins29, Planking, Bullfrog, RodBone75, jakerri, 15 invisible) and 192 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13384 Members
42 Forums
95931 Topics
1123380 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.136 seconds in which 0.008 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.