Tndeer Logo

Page all of 3 123>
Topic Options
#16546 - 12/23/06 12:31 PM which makes more sense-guillie or ground blind ?
Anonymous TnDeer Old Timer
Unregistered

am torn between the two. a guillie suit w/ scentlock would make more sense for portability and seem to be more invisible. anyone have experiance ? mainly want to use w/ crossbow
#16547 - 12/23/06 02:27 PM Re: which makes more sense-guillie or ground blind ?
WestTn Huntin'man
16 Point

Loc: Benton Co.

I like my pop up blind.Its Lite and easy to carry Keeps the wind off me on those days it's to windy for a stand. I spray it with scent free waterprufe .It keeps me dry on rainy days. Have yet to shot a nice buck from it but have does walk by within a few feet without spooking. I usally set it up close to a clump of trees or dead fall
Proverbs 3:27 Whenever you possibly can, do good to those who need it

#16549 - 12/23/06 08:47 PM Re: which makes more sense-guillie or ground blind ?
PDenning25
8 Point

Loc: Santa Fe TN

Crook I would go with a ghillie suit
I know several people, marines, who have made there own and have had deer within inches of them
Pat

The Sheppards Prayer:
Dear Lord,
Please don't let us screw up
-Alan Sheppard

#16550 - 12/23/06 09:48 PM Re: which makes more sense-guillie or ground blind ?
Gravey
16 Point

Loc: Rutherford / Wilson County Lin...

The guillie suits always seemed like they'd be extremely hot to me. I'd probably go the ground blind route.

#16551 - 12/23/06 10:07 PM Re: which makes more sense-guillie or ground blind ?
Marshal Dillon
TnDeer Old Timer
16 Point

Loc: Dodge City/Gunsmoke

I have a homemade guillie suit and have had deer very close.

#16552 - 12/24/06 10:03 AM Re: which makes more sense-guillie or ground blind ?
TN.Frank
8 Point

Loc: Crossville, TN., U.S.A.

The guillie suit would be more portable but the blind seems like it'd be more comfortable.
#16553 - 12/24/06 09:22 PM Re: which makes more sense-guillie or ground blind ?
squattin dogg
10 Point

Loc: Gallatin,TN USA / Deer Camp

I am an anti crosbow advocate but knowing you and what a great person you are the truth would be a gullie suite. Why? Crossbow usage vs. compound or trditional style archery would take less movement and with this in mind you would be virtually undetectable espcially with the sent lock version. Also durring turkey season a self portable groundblind. Good luck and if you have no luck with the suit just mail it to me LOL. \:D

B&L Outdoors......Go big or go home!!!

#16554 - 12/25/06 10:58 AM Re: which makes more sense-guillie or ground blind ?
Unregistered

thankyou for all the good comments. am twixt & between, but my gut tells me the guillie makes more sense since i do little scouting before season and like to still hunt during if i am not seeing deer & looking for rub lines. since i have taken up the Xgun, i have had deer within ten yards of me on the ground with no shot. have had a great season as far as sightings, with just enough meat to carry through the winter. God bless all the tndeer family & may you all have a merry Christmas in good ole Tennessee while i'm up here in Md. w/ my mom and children. \:\) hopefully we can rendevous in 07
#16555 - 12/25/06 07:20 PM Re: which makes more sense-guillie or ground blind ?
Cull Buck Hunter
8 Point

Loc: Cleveland,TN

I like a popup blind because I use it for deer and turkey all season long, and it hides the kids movement.

#16556 - 12/27/06 07:16 PM Re: which makes more sense-guillie or ground blind ?
coyote170
Spike

Loc: Mo.

Have used a ground blind for four years now I
have no complaints! \:D

#16558 - 01/01/07 02:44 PM Re: which makes more sense-guillie or ground blind ?
wyo-transplant
4 Point

Loc: Lebanon, TN

I made my own guillie, it itches like heck. But I have had people less than 3 yards to it. And never knew I was there. I have had big game less than 5 yards. I have had small game where I had to slap them away. If you use a guillie, make sure of what your accessories are colored. And practice movement with the suite on. Cut off the pieces that hinder it. Or tie them closer. The best time was when I had the suite on beside a walking trail out west. I had just built it. And was trying it out. I scared the, more than heck, out of a couple that was walking. I thought people had just passed and I could get up. I didn't see them. They screamed and ran away. I scooted it out of there. I took off the suite at the pickup ASAP. And hid it under the backseat. I have been close to others and remaind unknown. Unless they have dogs. And that is another story. I have took game with it. But trying to drag a deer, your guillie suite, a compound bow, ect. Over a mile is tuff on a fat boy. Even tougher on a old fat boy. Here in TN my longest drag has been probably 100 yards. Out west I have packed small game back farther than that!

#16559 - 01/05/07 07:01 AM Re: which makes more sense-guillie or ground blind ?
statelineRUT
10 Point

Loc: Michie, TN

The only thing I would see as a factor would be mobility. You can be very mobile in the suit. With the blind, and I have two I use quite a lot, you have to break it down and relocate it. Dont get wrong, it aint very hard to move the ground blinds, just more so than if you could just get up move 200 yards and sit back down and you are ready to go. JMHO.

#16560 - 01/07/07 08:47 PM Re: which makes more sense-guillie or ground blind ?
RUGER Administrator
Mouse Killa
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

I have always wanted a guillie suit.

#16561 - 01/09/07 02:08 PM Re: which makes more sense-guillie or ground blind ?
CPerkins
6 Point

Loc: Collierville, TN

I just bought me one on ebay for $77 free shipping. I will let you know what it looks like when it gets in. It included the jacket and pants and looked great in the picture but you know who that goes.

#16562 - 01/09/07 03:58 PM Re: which makes more sense-guillie or ground blind ?
8pointbetter
8 Point

Loc: columbia

my wife was trying to do something nice and ordered a bug suit from bass pro it looks cool on the web sight it will be here in 7 to 10 days what am i getting any body know

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
BONE COLLECTOR aka RAMBO

#16563 - 01/10/07 10:38 AM Re: which makes more sense-guillie or ground blind ?
CPerkins
6 Point

Quote:
Originally posted by 8pointbetter:
my wife was trying to do something nice and ordered a bug suit from bass pro it looks cool on the web sight it will be here in 7 to 10 days what am i getting any body know
They have a few different ones. They all look pretty good, but seem alittle noisy. Wash it a few times and it should be very nice

#16564 - 01/10/07 11:48 AM Re: which makes more sense-guillie or ground blind ?
Unregistered

i have scaned through the ones on ebay also. am going to try and save up for this one for next season http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/...equestid= 27000
#16565 - 01/10/07 03:05 PM Re: which makes more sense-guillie or ground blind ?
CPerkins
6 Point

I got that ghillie in yesterday and looks just as it did in the picture. I am going to wear it over my scentblocker during deer season next season. That way I can wear a heavier jacket on pants on cold days and my lightweight suit on warm days. Check out the companies link if your interested. They look just like the picture. They also ship them quickly. I ordered mine on a Friday afternoon and had it on my doorstep the following Tuesday.

ghillies

#16566 - 01/10/07 06:52 PM Re: which makes more sense-guillie or ground blind ?
Matador
10 Point

Loc: Rockwood,Tn.

Wyo-transplant and Marshall Dillion, do you two have any tips on how you made your own? Just curious or did your wife sew most of it or what?
#16567 - 01/10/07 09:08 PM Re: which makes more sense-guillie or ground blind ?
Unregistered

C Perkins, saw your feedback on ebay. looks like to good to be true. let me know how you like yours. how much does it weigh? i may have to order one if it's the real deal. nice price !
#16568 - 01/12/07 10:42 AM Re: which makes more sense-guillie or ground blind ?
CPerkins
6 Point

Quote:
Originally posted by Crooksight:
C Perkins, saw your feedback on ebay. looks like to good to be true. let me know how you like yours. how much does it weigh? i may have to order one if it's the real deal. nice price !
I will post pics as soon as I can and see if anyone can find me \:\)
As far as weight, I weighed them on a bathroom scale last night, and they weight less that 2.5 pounds for the jacket and pants. Its my first ghillie, but I am very pleased

#16569 - 01/12/07 02:48 PM Re: which makes more sense-guillie or ground blind ?
Unregistered

yep, would like to see a pic of suit. i emailed the guy you got yours from C.P., he said weight was 4lbs. do you think the xl size would be right for someone 5'8" ,200 lbs. ?
#16570 - 01/20/07 09:44 AM Re: which makes more sense-guillie or ground blind ?
wyo-transplant
4 Point

Loc: Lebanon, TN

I made mine out of burlap. You used to get different colors at JoAnns Fabric or even Walmart. I basicly got a big piece I thing its 30" x 6'. I folded it then sewed up the sides until I got it to where I had arm room at the top and stopped at hip leve. I had the piece go on past the hip area until it hung down to between my hips and knees. Make it big enough to have clothes on underneath it. The arm pieces are made alittle longet than your arms about to the knuckles. I made my pieces to hang down both sides of my arms past them about 2" on eack side if you hold them stretched out on both sides of your body (like a "T") I then make another piece like my pants. You will have to try these on as your making them, I then had green,dark brown, light brown burlap. I also got dark green,light brown, dark brown yarn. First cut the burlap, cut squigglys "S" shaped, strips, elongated pieces. of each color of burlap. This will be put on the oustide of the suite. I put the strips on with the yarn.I double stitched and double knotted it. Also have yarn pieces about 10 inches long, these are put through the suit and folded the a knot is tied. This is partly for show and to tie foliage to that will imitate your surrounding foliage you will be hunting in. I have a pair of levis with a padded area on front of the legs, and a heavy levi type shirt. This is to go under the suit. The arms are held on my arm with velcro sewed onto black stretch fabric. They hold good.
As you make the suit make everything overlap and on arms hang down. While making the suit I was outside, because it's going to have dust bunnies and stray strings comeing off it bad. I got two plastic hangers,taped them together and hung the suit off it while making it.
While it's done definately get a bag to carry it in. Make it at least twice as big. You will need the room when you get extra pieces of foilage stuck onto it. I used a bag with a zipper top that I got on sale at walmart. But make the suit before you buy the bag.
I find it helps to spray the suit with bug spray inside and out.A day before you use it. I use the hunting friendly kind. Also don't restore the suit when it's wet, it will mold down here. I does look cool hanging on the clothes line or garden fence. People really do a double take when first seeing one.
Me and a buddy made ours at the same time on a weekend. We had fun. I got my origional plans from the survival magazine when it was selling at newstands. That was a looooonnnggg time ago.

#16571 - 01/30/07 07:57 PM Re: which makes more sense-guillie or ground blind ?
DROPTINE33
4 Point

Loc: Hixson, Tn.

Icon 1 posted 12-25-2006 07:20 PM Profile for Cull Buck Hunter Email Cull Buck Hunter Send New Private Message Edit/Delete Post Reply With Quote I like a popup blind because I use it for deer and turkey all season long, and it hides the kids movement.

--------------------
All hail the Barnes X bullet!!!
Posts: 301 | From: Cleveland,TN | Registered: Dec 2005 | IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coyote170
Button
Member # 6379

I agree, blinds work best for the kids. its also great for all day sits. You can read mags., eat lunch, or just stand up and stretch when needed. I would pick the blind.
;\)

#16572 - 01/30/07 07:59 PM Re: which makes more sense-guillie or ground blind ?
DROPTINE33
4 Point

Loc: Hixson, Tn.

Icon 1 posted 12-25-2006 07:20 PM Profile for Cull Buck Hunter Email Cull Buck Hunter Send New Private Message Edit/Delete Post Reply With Quote I like a popup blind because I use it for deer and turkey all season long, and it hides the kids movement.

--------------------
All hail the Barnes X bullet!!!
Posts: 301 | From: Cleveland,TN | Registered: Dec 2005 | IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coyote170
Button
Member # 6379

I agree, blinds work best for the kids. its also great for all day sits. You can read mags., eat lunch, or just stand up and stretch when needed. I would pick the blind.
;\)

#16573 - 02/02/07 05:58 PM Re: which makes more sense-guillie or ground blind ?
FULLDRAWXX75
12 Point

Loc: Adirondack Mtns, NY

I have used and still use both, each has it's purpose, pending on scenerio. I have a homemade gillie suit (poncho) I took a inexpensive hooded rain poncho and hot glued varied lengths of camo burlap all over it, I bought a small pack and roll the poncho up and store in the pack, and to care it in to the woods with. I do not recommend still hunting in a gillie, it is very dangerous.
I use it often after reaching my stand or small natural blind.
I have a pop up blind that I use if I plan on staying in one area all day, or if the weather calls for heavy rain through out the day, mine is not all that big, and closes up to a little over 2' circle and slips inside a zippered pouch.
I like both, but again, each has it's purpose.

Note: the poncho can be turned inside out and used as rain gear also, and the burlap acts like an extra layer of clothing if you get a chill.

Good luck,

FDXX75

#16574 - 02/15/07 07:55 PM Re: which makes more sense-guillie or ground blind ?
PDenning25
8 Point

Loc: Santa Fe TN

I have started to assemble my ghillie suit
Got the netting got the jute and burlap and have the BDU shirt on the way
Its gonna be to just above the knees
I will have a bonnie hat with a bug mesh face and ghillie hood attached
Cant wait to not be seen in it
here turkey
Pat

The Sheppards Prayer:
Dear Lord,
Please don't let us screw up
-Alan Sheppard

#16575 - 02/25/07 07:20 PM Re: which makes more sense-guillie or ground blind ?
mechanic122
4 Point

Loc: lawrence county tn

i like the blind because of body movement and they keep the wind off i have shot several deer from my blind
#16576 - 02/26/07 07:17 PM Re: which makes more sense-guillie or ground blind ?
Unregistered

this is what i finally decided on. it came in the mail the other day. i think this outfit is gonna be the real deal. it is light, has extremely good ventilation + i can wear over warm clothes to use all season, Sweet! http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/...0132&hasJS=true
Page all of 3 123>

Moderator:  gtk, Tennessee Todd, Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Deadeye14, woodie, Montana10point, sandman064, MossyOak30
13107 Registered Users
Who's Online
73 registered (Brisco Darlin, stik, devo1980, THEdonkey0515, mrw, dralarms, 6 invisible) and 133 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13107 Members
42 Forums
88961 Topics
1040707 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.218 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression enabled.