Tndeer Logo

Page 6 of 14 « First<45678>Last »
Topic Options
#1648249 - 12/01/09 10:10 PM Re: .270 vs. 7mag [Re: mossyoak3d]
alwaysoutdoors
4 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: mossyoak3d
What would be better for deer hunting? Knock down, bullet price, shooting range etc.

.270. Ammo is cheaper, round has less recoil and does just about everything a 7 mag will do.

#1652278 - 12/03/09 08:13 PM Re: .270 vs. 7mag [Re: alwaysoutdoors]
usanglure
6 Point

Loc: tn,shelby

I recently hunted with reduced recoil 7mm---shots sweet lots less recoil and knocks em dead quick still.
#1655113 - 12/05/09 12:42 PM Re: .270 vs. 7mag [Re: usanglure]
adamf5353
4 Point

Loc: Backwoods

I sight my 270 in @ 35 yards. Dead on @ 200 yards using 130 grain bullet. Ballistics are very nice!
#1670710 - 12/13/09 10:31 PM Re: .270 vs. 7mag [Re: adamf5353]
trevor2010
4 Point

Loc: Cleveland,TN

7 mag no questions about it
#1703828 - 01/02/10 08:32 PM Re: .270 vs. 7mag [Re: Locksley]
tbam
6 Point

Loc: Tn, Winchester

I've had both, using the 7mm now but may swap to a 308 this year
#1720109 - 01/11/10 05:20 PM Re: .270 vs. 7mag [Re: tbam]
lung-buster
10 Point

Loc: Southern Middle Tn

7mag
#1731798 - 01/18/10 07:03 AM Re: .270 vs. 7mag [Re: lung-buster]
CoyoteRich
Spike

Loc: Johnson City, Tn.

Ive got a savage 110 7mm mag with a laminate stock, that I had a gunsmith install a match grade muzzle break on. It is very accurate and has a recoil similar to my Remington 700 bdl 243. I took a decent buck with it this year at 100 yards, in the boiler room, and it left an exit hole 3 inches in diameter. It likes the cheap federal ammo.

#1778668 - 02/10/10 08:48 AM Re: .270 vs. 7mag [Re: Locksley]
Locksley
16 Point

Loc: Antioch TN

Originally Posted By: Locksley
 Originally Posted By: Model70Man
I have to disagree that the 7mm mag can compensate. .007" in diameter difference is not going to do much if anything more than what a 270 can do. A poor shot is a poor shot weather you are shooting a 243 or a 338 win mag.

You have to practice some guys , ya have to hit them to drop them.

Originally Posted By: SAR Swimmer
I was just sitting here watching the Outdoor Channel. There are guys on here who are shooting deer with a 15 mph crosswind at 750 yards. Now I might be a little bias here because I am an avid bowhunter but c'mon! Do you really call that hunting? I know that they are only airing the shots that connected! They are not showing the injured animals who run off to die (unrecovered) or suffer.

I am very impressed by guys that I serve with who can consistently hit targets at long distances but trying it on an animal????? The absolute best will even admit that it is somewhat unethical on an animal.

Put a bow in these rookies hands and let's see what they can do! IMO, That is when you can determine who is a true woodsman and master of strategy and tactics.

25yds, broadside. He can hear your heart thumping but he doesn't know what the sound is. He smells your breath but he only know that there is a meat eater very close by. He hears you draw and starts to stomp in his natural paranoid personality. You look through your peep and settle your pin just behind his front shoulder.

Just then, he steps behind a tree.

You have begun to shake like a bowl of jelly on a washing machine. You lower your draw with thoughts of "Awww Sh**t".
"This will be the last time I ever see this deer". The deer of my life!!!! "Lord, please make him come back. Please, Please. Please. Please!

Just then, he smells the scent wick that you have placed on the ground about 25 yds out from your stand. He then quarters back and offers you that shot of a lifetime. 25yds, unalerted, quartering away. You place an arrow right into his boiler room and he runs 7 yds or so and you watch him fall.

Now that is hunting!

Originally Posted By: stik
we have several hunters/shooters(NOT me!!) on this site that are more than capable of making those shots.

Stik, I like the way that you put that "hunters/shooters". I believe that says it all. The two are very different.

I am not knocking rifle or firearms hunters by any means but I get the feeling that these long range shooters are the same guy who is the same guy who feels the need to "keep up with the Jones" rather than appreciate the outdoors and the wildlife.

These are the same guys who could really care less about what they injure and never recover.

Originally Posted By: DEER ASSASSIN
hunting for you mabey

hell i ve killed deer with bows compound cross bow and a recurve no sights

but im sorry to hear a bullet impact a deer @ 300 yds or so priceless

heck i killed one with a 30 30 @ 278 this year and a big 12 point 280 yds in 35 to 40 mph winds

it takes skill just like a dang bow

with the right rifle and a person than knows ballistics 750 is very attainable heck iv set and popped 1 gal jugs @ 500 with the 7saum after sighting in @ 50 yds
.4 inche low then dialed 9.25 moa for 500 with a 160 accubond @ 2950 ish fps

Originally Posted By: bullzeye
I would call 750 yards shooting not hunting.

Originally Posted By: stik
hunting for you mabey

heck i killed one with a 30 30 @ 278 this year and a big 12 point 280 yds in 35 to 40 mph winds

with the right rifle and a person than knows ballistics 750 is very attainable heck iv set and popped 1 gal jugs @ 500 with the 7saum after sighting in @ 50 yds

i was waiting on your response as you are one of the guys i was talking about. and i couldn't agree more.

hunting for you mabey

DA, you have the right to remain silent. LOL! You kill more deer than any of us and we have all confirmed that you have a real good friend in the TWRA and that you go out doing deer counts with him with your rifle via spotlight. LMAO. Just kiddin' man.

But seriously DA, if you had a 750myd shot at an animal with a 15mph crosswind, would you call that an ethical shot?

I would call 750 yards shooting not hunting.

Yup!!!! Exactly!!!!

Imo a hunter in that situation would try to stalk for a better shot.

But seriously DA, if you had a 750myd shot at an animal with a 15mph crosswind, would you call that an ethical shot?

it depends for some folks with a bow @ 20 yds broadside is NOT an ethical shot due to lack of experience and lack of practice

750 yds shot 15 mph cross wind with the right person ethical
IMO yes

meglamanioc
mr big
tim in tn
i have no doubt

for me personally
750 with a good rest in a heart beat but with the cross wind i would decline i am not the best doping wind

tim in tn shot an antelope in New mexico 446 yds 20 mph cross wind

Well here we go again .Has OLD TIMER seen this thread yet??
I love to bowhunt with my old recurves . But I have hunted Colorado where long shots at deer are needed .
The shots taken can be sporting or slob hunting depending on who takes the shots. Some people should not be hunting with there crossbows because they do not practice and can not hit the side of a barn at 30 yards.

Originally Posted By: LeatherLungz
 Originally Posted By: 44fanatic
Ive known people who hunted elk with a 243 but never at the ranges mentioned above. 257 Roberts I cant say anything about.

I hunted elk a bit further north in Montana and felt comfortable with a 30-06 out to 300 yards (2" high at 100yds).

Ask your friend if 600 yard shots are common or is it more likely 400 and less (which is what Im thinking).
he insisted on 500-700 yards. Said there is very little cover in the few places he is becoming familiar with. He's out everyday doing field work in some of these areas gets to 'see' these animals.

Tells me that it about their threshold for shyness due to the open terrain there on some of the BLM property.

Originally Posted By: jb3
7mm stw

I used a 7 mm REemington magnum for Mule Deer and Elk in long rang areas in Colorado . The 7mm stw would be even better as 600 and 700 yards is a heck of a long way off DUDE.

Originally Posted By: cdw338
I also used a 7mm mag in Colorado. I would also recommend the 7mm STW and a 4 .5 x 14 x 40 or 50 mil scope.

Most shots where I hunted are around 400 yards or so.

Practice and practice some more.

Originally Posted By: TennBuck

i would consider the 300 WSM, 300 WIN MAG, 7MM REM MAG

Originally Posted By: Young Buck
I have personally used 7stw and 7ultramag,both of which are excellent long range rifles.

Originally Posted By: RUGER
 Originally Posted By: jb3
7mm stw

What he said.

Originally Posted By: LeatherLungz
he said the locals out there use .243, .257Roberts and scoff at people that come in with the 'big guns'

< Leon shrugs shoulders >
amen

270 or 06 will work with right scope

7 SAUM

Originally Posted By: Buck Assassin

Originally Posted By: make'em strut
what about a 308 they are great long range guns

Originally Posted By: HenryCohunter
The truth be told Most modern guns are way better than the person shooting them.You can take any Ruger..remington ..Browning.. in a 25-06,270,30-06,243,and several others and make a 400-500 yard shot and kill a mule deer or elk,but as others have said its optics and the practice shooting those yardages.I shoot about 200 rounds a year through my gun at between 150 and 200 yards and a couple dozen at 300.It makes you a much better close range shooter and there is always the chance where i hunt of a 200+ yard shot.All i can say is dont skimp on the optics and practice all you can at 500 yards.

I have a 4X12 wideview old style Weaver scope on my Harry Creaton built Mauser Model 98 in 7 MM Remington Magnum caliber . It has a 25 inch long barrell that is of medium weight not a light whippy barrell. It is a little heavy but back when I was hunting Colorado I was strong enough to carry it all day. It being kind of a heavy Mauser it did not kick much and that action was real smooth where Harry honned the rails and polished up the action before bluing it. That 7MM Remington Magnum Mauser - 98 was real accurate too with a group the size of a dime at 100 yards with the 140 grain spitzer boattail Sierra bullet load I used in it. I would test it out at the Montrose Colorado gun clubs range before the start of the hunt too. The range out there had a steel gong or round plate hung from a chain at the 100 , 200, 300, 400, 500, 600, meter ranges , I wasnt happy unless I could hit the 400, 500, range plates either. The first time I shot it out there on that range was back in 1987 when 6 of us from the old Nashvillle P.O. went out there to hunt Mule Deer . I hit the 100 , then the 200, then the 300, then the 400, and then the 500 marks first time one after the other , cold barrell one shot one hit at each yardage. The guys there sighting in there 338 magnums and 300 magnum were all shooting when I started but the shooting line fell quiet as I proceeded to hit each gong with one shot running the yardages on out to the 5oo mark. After I reloaded I was determined to try the 600 gong so I took my aim and sent the round downrange. Some of the men at the range had spotting scopes out and were looking at that far off steel disk up the side of that mountain from us as I squeezed off my shot. Well I heard no ding from that one . The range was quiet to as all eyes were on that shot so we would have heard it hit. I was only sighted in for 200 yards so the last shots were Kentucky windage and KY gues-ta-mates on that 600 mark gong elevation . The shot hit close because it kicked up a cloud of dust as it was dry and dusty that year. I could not see where it hit high or low as the recoil moved my scope to much , and the guys with spotting scopes could not see the fall of the bullett either. After two more trys at that far off target I quit because I wanted to have enough of my reloads to hunt with. A scope with mill dots would have helped at that long range but mine only had the doule X reticle , and a bullett drop compensator would be nice on a log range scope too.
The scope decides your hit ability as much as your rifle out there in Colorado at long range especially. Get a good scope 4 X 16 or about that power with the features I mentioned on it. A range finder would be a nessary thing at that long range you are talking about shooting at also.
The 308 and 30/06 might be OK at the long ranges with heavy bullets , but the 7 mm shoots with less bullett drop and every little thing helps at those ranges . The 7mm stw would be even better as 600 and 700 yards is a heck of a long way off DUDE.
The range manager let me buy a whole sack full of 7 mm Remington magnum and 300 Winchester magnum once fired cases to take back home with me to . Most of the guys sighting in did not reload and gave me there hulls and the range sold me there cases they were going to resell also. I think that I still have some of those good cases too. I still have my rememberances of the good hunts and shoots in the Big Sky Country of Colorado also. I hope the rememberances of an old deer hunter do not bore you-all to much .

MY limit with my 7 mm magnum 98 Mauser is 400 yards because I have no mill dot scope and I have no rangefinder or bullet drop scope on the 7 mm magnum.

You have to practice a lot on long range shooting guys , ya have to hit them to drop them.

#1779148 - 02/10/10 12:09 PM Re: .270 vs. 7mag [Re: Locksley]
Bullfrog
6 Point

Loc: Ky Lake

I have both, and which ever one i take out of the safe on any given day, is what i use. Deer usually don't go out of sight, when shot with either gun.
#1854615 - 03/25/10 11:04 AM Re: .270 vs. 7mag [Re: Bullfrog]
RutMutt
4 Point

Loc: SE TN

I had a 7mag, liked it very much. Great for clearcuts and field hunting. Most deer dropped in their tracks. Barrel is a little lengthy for hardwoods.
I recently started shooting a 7mm-08. Less recoil,cheaper ammo shorter barrel. Check out the ballistics of this round vs 270. Greater velosity and more down range energy. This is based on a 140 gr 7-08 vs 150 gr 270. Only down fall of this round is that you can't shoot larger bullets. But great round for deer.

Page 6 of 14 « First<45678>Last »

Moderator:  gtk, Tennessee Todd, Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Mik475, AaronB, Bad Wolf, jw3783, Jesse91
13278 Registered Users
Who's Online
11 registered (Prowler, hunter drew, FrontierGander, TeamTndeer, tasaman, TNDeerGuy, 4 invisible) and 48 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13278 Members
42 Forums
93274 Topics
1089112 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.104 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.