Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 5 12345>
Topic Options
#1518348 - 09/24/09 05:37 AM Caney Fork Proposal
Hawk
TnDeer Old Timer
12 Point

Loc: west tenn.

I like this but from my oberservations there are more regular fisher people than trophy fishers.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20090924/SPORTS11/909240340/1002/NLETTER01?source=nletter-news

#1518489 - 09/24/09 07:18 AM Re: Caney Fork Proposal [Re: Hawk]
stillinscrubs
4 Point

Loc: nashville, tn

You have been hoodwinked by the Tennessean. Do not believe all that you read.

First, the Cumberland has had similar regulations in place for years.

Quote from the website below:
There is still a 15- to 20-inch protective slot limit on rainbow trout in the first 35 miles of the Cumberland River from Wolf Creek Dam to Burkesville. Five rainbow trout may be kept daily and only one of those trout may be 20 inches or longer. Trophy regulations are still in effect on brown trout on this section of the river. Anglers may keep one 20-inch or longer brown trout daily.

http://fw.ky.gov/newsrelease.asp?nid=172

The KDFWR is just a lot more streamlined and can adapt more quickly to changing conditions, so for the short term they can adopt the new regulations increasing the creel limit from 5 to 10 on rainbow trout below the creel limit. This has been done before and reversed as soon as the water conditions improve.

The Cumberland is longer and has tons less pressure. So go there to catch trophy trout.

Also the dedicated journalists at the Tennessean (I say this with much sarcasm) fail to mention that the Clinch and South Holston have some serious regulations in place also. The Clinch got them last year.

A better title for the article may have been "State Finally concerned about quality of Caney Fork fishery."

I think Mike Organ got some goading from some old decrepit outdoor writer to pen that junk. As an example from the article on why it is junk.....

The TWRC is considering drastic increases in terms of fish size while reducing the number of brown, brook and rainbow trout caught in the river that stretches 27 miles from beneath the dam at Center Hill Lake to the Cumberland River in Carthage.

Hey how is the state going to reduce the number of fish caught?

And going from nothing to something is not what one might call drastic. Melodrama should be left in the soap operas for the people that enjoy that type of entertainment.

#1518526 - 09/24/09 07:49 AM Re: Caney Fork Proposal [Re: stillinscrubs]
Fordman
12 Point

Loc: Rockvale,tn

Slot limits have nothing to do with trophy versus meat fisherman. They are about this state FINALLY managing a resourse. You cant take,take,take and expect a river to continue to survive. PLR's will still allow a meat fisherman to take a limit home anytime they choose yet still keep the quality and healthy fish in the river.
#1518940 - 09/24/09 10:46 AM Re: Caney Fork Proposal [Re: Fordman]
Fordman
12 Point

Letter to the Tennessean....

After reading the article on the Caney Fork I feel compelled to respond to this column. It appears to me that the author knows very little about fishing and knows a lot about writing melodramatic pieces. He has pounced on an opportunity to stir the proverbial pot about these new regulations without conducting his due diligence, in regards to researching the subject matter material.

First and foremost the regulations are not to produce a “trophy trout river”. Will the end result be a high quality fishery? Well of course any positive regulation will result in a better caliber of fish caught. These regulations will CONSERVE the RESOURCE. The emphasis here is to conserve a resource not exploit one. The use of PLR slots is a means to keep quality fish in a system without stopping a fisherman who chooses to keep fish from doing so. These proposed regulations will not mean a trophy trout should be setting behind every rock. They mean that the healthiest of the fish will be allowed to live an additional season or two. That’s a win for everyone from a live bait fisherman to convemtional tackle anglers and fly fisherman alike. The article implies that these regulations are drastic and new. If the author had done his research and looked ther fisherman alike. Are several of our river systems with very similar regulations in place. The Clinch River and the South Holsten come to mind at the moment. Further research, yes I know it’s a pain but as a journalist it’s the authors job to check his facts, would have shown that the Caney Fork is already producing some very large fish. That’s the reason the pressure on this river had very easily doubled over the past year. Research would have told him that in years prior the river had limited access so angling pressure was confined to the handful of public access points. Today there are two major canoe/kayak rental services on the river that have made access wide open for anyone who wants to fish. The large increases in pressure and access have increased the amount of fish being taken out of the river to a point that we need more regulation, and enforcement of said regulations, in order for this river to maintain its high quality fishing.

The last and probably most important fact that got left out of this article was the economy. The Caney has received not only more angling pressure but more leisure traffic as well. People are not traveling as much and have chosen to explore the natural resources close to home.

It appears you made a couple phone calls and have suddenly become an expert on a fishery that some of us have been fishing for very literally decades. These proposed regulations are an important step in conserving a resource for everyone to enjoy. The byproduct of positive regulation will always be a better fishery. Calling these “trophy regulations” the author has failed to cover the logic behind fishery management and basically missed the point. Unfortunately since it was printed in a newspaper, people will take it a face value.

I would suggest you take a trip to the river and look at the fantastic resource we have here in middle Tennessee. Maybe then you will understand the difference between trophy regulations and solid fishery management. Those of us anglers who enjoy the fishing in the great state will be applauding the TWRA for getting involved now and not waiting until the river declined to the point it was once again a “ditch”.

Since the Tennessean is a “big dog” in the print journalism business I am a little surprised that they don’t realize the difference between a “sports writer” and an “outdoor writer”. I can write about football but since I don’t have a passion for it my writing would be hollow and lack substance.

Edited by Fordman (09/24/09 10:47 AM)

#1519146 - 09/24/09 01:21 PM Re: Caney Fork Proposal [Re: Fordman]
B.D.
8 Point

Loc: Hendersonville TN

I agree with your sentiments, Troy, but I think your letter is longer than the article. \:\)

bd

#1519352 - 09/24/09 03:51 PM Re: Caney Fork Proposal [Re: B.D.]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

With all due respect to my esteemed colleague at that larger paper, he is the same one who ran the picture of Skipjack and claimed it was a smallmouth.

My opinion, not that you asked for it, leave the Caney the he11 alone. It is doing just fine.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#1519422 - 09/24/09 04:35 PM Re: Caney Fork Proposal [Re: bowriter]
Fordman
12 Point

Originally Posted By: bowriter
With all due respect to my esteemed colleague at that larger paper, he is the same one who ran the picture of Skipjack and claimed it was a smallmouth.

My opinion, not that you asked for it, leave the Caney the he11 alone. It is doing just fine.

You have got to be kidding me...skipjack for a smallmouth... and your opinion is a welcome as anyone's. Its a public resource and everyone who follows the existing laws, has a fishing license and trout stamp should have their say. The problem here was a sports writer trying to be an outdoor writer.... so some they will say a writer is a writer but there is a difference and you and I both know it.

#1519427 - 09/24/09 04:37 PM Re: Caney Fork Proposal [Re: B.D.]
Fordman
12 Point

Originally Posted By: Brian Dunigan
I agree with your sentiments, Troy, but I think your letter is longer than the article. \:\)

bd

Which only proves one thing, it took maybe 15 minutes to pen that letter. If its longer than the article just how much time did the author spend learning about is subject matter?

#1520285 - 09/25/09 04:02 AM Re: Caney Fork Proposal [Re: Fordman]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

Oh I can answer that-none. It is a canned release. Yes, Troy, a skipjack, TN tarpon. Claimed to be a smallmouth caught on Old Chockory. Almost as bad as the 70-80 pound bobcat seen on the Caney two weeks ago (picture and story ran in my paper). I took that one to task. It was followed by two 8-pound brown trout form the Caney, The big one might weighted 3.5. I just let that go.

Verifies what I have always said. Believe nothing you read and dam little of what you see.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#1520561 - 09/25/09 07:26 AM Re: Caney Fork Proposal [Re: bowriter]
Fordman
12 Point

Yes after the fact I found out it may not have been a canned release but it was meant to get the word out that there was change in the air.
Page 1 of 5 12345>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
3 registered (4fshn, hannibal, CAW) and 69 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180121 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.005 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.