Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#1454215 - 08/15/09 09:50 AM Old bamboo flyrod
RUGER Administrator
Bambi Killa
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

Here are some pics of an old fly rod I have acquired.
The rod itself is in mint condition, the only "bad" spot on it is on the label which makes it almost impossible to identify the brand.
It is wooden, I assume bamboo, and it was manufactured in Japan. I got that much off the label.

It has the end where you attach the reel, then a middle piece, then two identical ends. Four pieces total but a three piece rod.

The "brand" I can't make out but a few letters and they are GO then missing one letter, then DTI then three more letters.
Looks to me like it says GOLD TIGER.

The end where the reel goes is 34 1/2" with one eye. The middle section is 34 3/4" with two eyes. The two identical "end sections" are 34 1/2" with 5 eyes.

Here is the best I could do with the pictures.

First half of label.

Second half of label.

You can see some of the varnish seems to be gone and most of the label is too but other than that I swear it don't look like it was ever put together.

Any ideas as to it's worth, if anything?

#1455451 - 08/16/09 03:06 PM Re: Old bamboo flyrod [Re: ]
Deer Elvis
4 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

Don't know anything 'bout the rod, but congrats on solving the name puzzle. Looks to me like you're ready for Wheel of Fortune...
#1455640 - 08/16/09 06:24 PM Re: Old bamboo flyrod [Re: Deer Elvis]
44fanatic
12 Point

Loc: Clarksville, Montgomery Cnty

http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/archive/index.php/t-16475.html

Its sounding like you got into an interesting collection Ruger.
My grandfather passed some years ago and he had an interesting Ithica bamboo fly/spinning rod. Bad thing is, I do believe the fishing rod was either stolen when I moved from Arizona or it was left on top of a storage shelf (most likely).

#1455815 - 08/16/09 08:06 PM Re: Old bamboo flyrod [Re: 44fanatic]
Chaneylake
Brownsville Mafia
16 Point

Loc: on the wings of a snow white d...

BottomHunters father-in-law makes some of the best bamboo rods known to exist

Living somewhere between this world and the other, Legends of the Fall

#1456349 - 08/17/09 08:33 AM Re: Old bamboo flyrod [Re: RUGER]
rsimms
10 Point

Loc: Chattanooga, TN

I am inspired to share my story of "A1305B" ... a selection from my book, "An Outdoor State of Mind."

A1305B

It bears no name, only a number--A1305B. I don't know the origin of A1305B. One of my mother's good friends passed it along to her. There it's rested, on a gun rack in a tattered and worn cloth case.

The cloth strings binding the case are dry-rotted. They wouldn't untie, they just sort of fell to pieces. But inside, A1305B has survived the years fairly well. It's straight as an arrow, never having been stored under stress.

But it can't hide its age completely. The varnish is scratched away in places, the frayed string of a tie-wrap dangles free, and it took a drop of oil in each ferrule to put the rod together.

Yes, A1305B is a fishing rod, a flyrod to be exact, an old flyrod. There's no way to know exactly how old. But it's definitely a throwback to years gone. You'll find no graphite, no boron, not even fiberglass in all of its nine-foot length. It's bamboo, cane, a fishing rod made from grass.

Crude, awkward and extremely heavy by today's standards, A1305B was once the cream of the crop… a flyrod that the purist of the purists would have been proud to own. But today it's destined to become a has-been, a relic that sooner or later would find its way to a dusty corner in a Broad Street antique shop. Except for one thing, I have it.

You might say I stole it. I'd eyeballed the rod for years at Mom's house. Finally I just loaded old A1305B into the car and told Mom, "I'm gonna let some folks look at it to see if it's worth anything."

The proprietor of a local flyshop did that part for me.

"As far as I can tell it's just an old bamboo flyrod," he said. "They made lots of them years ago. Most of them aren't really worth much unless somebody famous made them. In that case, they'd usually sign them or something."

Nobody signed this one. Unless it was made by somebody named A1305B. No matter. They say possession is nine-tenths of law and I now possess A1305B. At least until Mom repossesses it. The flyshop helped me put A1305B back into working order.

"I'm just gonna mess around with it on some bluegill," I said.

At home, in the front yard, A1305B went together like we'd known each other much longer. As it did, I swear I saw a trout surface in the birdbath. My fingers shook just a little as they slid the line through each guide.

And there, beneath the dogwood tree, a solid fourteen-inch fish dimpled the surface. Line stripped from the reel and fell to my feet on the concrete driveway.

Two more fish swirled over by the mailbox. Three false casts and then on the fourth, the fly tangled in the magnolia tree behind me.

Trout began to rise all over the lawn as I ripped the fly, magnolia leaf and all, from the tree. Finally, one, two, three, four false casts; and on the fifth, the line shot forward like a rocket. Then it slowed, rolling across the green grass like a whisper. The fly settled beneath the dogwood on the very blade of grass I'd aimed for. The 14-incher couldn't stand it. He leapt all the way out and took the fly on the way back down.

The fish tore the lawn to pieces, racing from pool to pool. I struggled in vain to keep him away from the mailbox. He made a half-hitch around the post, crossed the street and the line was cut by a speeding mini-van.

Across the street, a neighbor peered nervously through the venetian blinds. Behind me, my black lab cocked her head into one of those quizzical, "what are you doing," looks.

With a sheepish grin, I re-cased old A1305B. She's brought back memories of days gone by. In high school, I fancied myself a flyfisherman. I had two, count 'em, two fly rods.

In one disastrous week, they both went to pieces, literally. The first was taken out by a wayward lawnmower in the back of my pickup truck. The second fell victim to Devil's Shoals on the Hiwassee River. A canoe, filled with water by the Class III whitewater, came to rest on flyrod number two.

College came and the distance from good trout water, combined with freshman finances, restricted future flyrod purchases. After that, my excuse has been the bass and crappie craze.

But now there's A1305B.

Mom, I promise I'll be more careful of wayward lawnmowers, and more respectful of Devil's Shoals, if you'll please let me and A1305B go out and play.
http://www.ScenicCityFishing.com

#1456371 - 08/17/09 08:46 AM Re: Old bamboo flyrod [Re: rsimms]
JohnnyBond
Cat Man
Non-Typical

Loc:

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
buckslayer85, crose84, Fisher 1959, AKeys, GUIDO
13383 Registered Users
Who's Online
106 registered (bow_vol, luke, 1 good shot, plinker22, TRIGGER, Planking, 13 invisible) and 161 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13383 Members
42 Forums
95713 Topics
1120516 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.043 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.