Topic Options
#1450419 - 08/12/09 03:45 PM Gentlemen of Liesure
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

Outdoors With John L. Sloan copyright August 2009
8-12-09

The Gentlemen of Leisure.

They left the house about the same time-sunup. They arrived at the water about the same time. They uncased similar equipment. One donned waders, the other launched a boat. One put on a fishing vest; the other put his dog in the boat.

Then they went fishing…for rainbow trout, one with a dog at his side, the other with a pipe in his mouth. The gentlemen of leisure. Retired, sick of chores around the house, tired of yard work. They went fishing.

One stepped into the Caney Fork River, the other slid the boat into a nameless lake in New Brunswick Canada. One dressed as if he just stepped out of an Orvis catalog, the other dressed as he did everyday of his life. Neither really cared if they caught any fish. They were just Gentlemen of leisure. Gone fishing.

I came around a bend in the Caney and saw an apparition. A completely peaceful appearing gentleman with a wicker creel and all the trappings of a fly fisherman, standing ankle deep in the cold water and plying the ripple in front of him with some sort of fly. Quietly I said, “Sir if you’ll just step forward a few feet, I can slip the boat behind you and not disturb your fishing.”

As if he had not heard me, he said, “How cold do you think this water is?” Well, truth is, I sometimes carry a thermometer and I had just taken the water temperature. It was 56. So that is what I said.

“Well,” said the gentleman, “I don’t think it is that warm.” I assured him it was. “He said, I’ll tell you what, I’ll bet you a bottle of the finest Jack Daniels it isn’t a degree over 52.” I took the bet.

Of course, I won and that started a conversation. Turns out he was the retired pastor of a large Presbyterian Church in Nashville and was escaping the house for a while. In addition, turns out a vice president of Jack D was one of his parishioners.

We had quite a conversation and shared a sandwich and a cold one. We talked of trout and blue herons and shad and salmon. He invited me to come join him some Sunday and I invited him to share a boat with me any day he wanted to catch trout. I grinned at his answer. “I don’t care if I catch any fish. I come to get away from the wife and the routine. I bought all this fancy stuff because it gives me pleasure; I have no idea what half these flies are.”

I came around a bend and saw the boat just sliding into the lake. I stopped and walked down to the shore and started swatting at mosquitoes. He saw me and called across the water, “Better come get in the boat or the bugs’ll eatcha alive, eyeah.”

He slid the boat to the beach and I, having quickly grabbed a rod, climbed in. The dog licked my face and then returned to her position under his arm. The dog, Chloe, was a perfect lady. She watched us both and sat quietly as we cast, me with a spinning rod, he with a fly rod as the wind gently blew us down the lake.

We talked of things we both had in common-trout fishing, bears and deer hunting-made up the bulk of the conversation. We commented on the bugs and the fact that the trout were hitting my 1/16 ounce spinner twice as much as his fly.

He said, “We could keep about six of these nicer ones for suppah if you want, eyeah.” I told him I didn’t much like trout as table fare and he said, “You’ve not had these trout. No sir, you’ve nevah had New Brunswick Gold, by Jesus.”

They were delicious, that night, sautéed by his wife and served with fiddleheads and rice. I ate four of the six we kept. He said, “Easier to catch trout with a marble than to out eat you, eyeah.”

It is the perfect time of year for gentlemen of leisure. Kids are back in school and the streams, during the week are not too crowded. I may have to go….

Now that I am a Gentleman of leisure …

Oh, by the way, I got the bottle of Jack Daniels as promised. And always keep this in mind. Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

#1- The pastor enjoying a day of leisure. Something we all need to do.

Chloe gives the instructions as we drift slowly down the bank of a lake with no name in a province of kind and friendly people

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#1450466 - 08/12/09 04:09 PM Re: Gentlemen of Liesure [Re: bowriter]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

\:\)

Yep, gentlemen of great liesure & leisure. ;\)

#1450485 - 08/12/09 04:16 PM Re: Gentlemen of Liesure [Re: Wes Parrish]
bowriter
Non-Typical

i before except after c. My editor really srewed up \:\)

#1450542 - 08/12/09 04:56 PM Re: Gentlemen of Liesure [Re: bowriter]
bowriter
Non-Typical

However, leisure is the correct spelling \:\)

#1450731 - 08/12/09 07:27 PM Re: Gentlemen of Liesure [Re: bowriter]
Velocity kills
6 Point

Loc: Sevierville,TN

Nice. "suppah".. havent thought much of that old northern accent.My grandfather...a man of leisure. and FIDDLE HEADS...YUMMM!
#1451449 - 08/13/09 09:00 AM Re: Gentlemen of Liesure [Re: ]
Outdoor Enthusiast
6 Point

Loc: Carthage, TN

"Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana."

That quote never gets old.

#1452949 - 08/14/09 07:36 AM Re: Gentlemen of Liesure [Re: bowriter]
rsimms
10 Point

Loc: Chattanooga, TN

That's good! Real good!!
http://www.ScenicCityFishing.com

#1455029 - 08/16/09 06:49 AM Re: Gentlemen of Liesure [Re: rsimms]
strutandrut
Non-Typical

Loc: signal mountain

Great read, John!

Why do I carry a gun? Because cops weigh too much to carry and are difficult to conceal.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#1455132 - 08/16/09 08:52 AM Re: Gentlemen of Liesure [Re: strutandrut]
LA man
18 Point

Loc: spencer, tn/houma, la.

cool story bw, thanks

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
tnduckhunter, draw2drop, Oh Deer, Deer slayer85, Deadeye14
13111 Registered Users
Who's Online
92 registered (Poser, Redwing, easy45, striperhunter90, TNRifleman, Encore Eye Candy, 12 invisible) and 114 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13111 Members
42 Forums
89212 Topics
1043283 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.219 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.