Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#1443453 - 08/07/09 12:20 PM Not Deer Hunting But a Unethical Situation
SAR Swimmer
6 Point

Loc: Pleasant View, TN/ Jacksonvill...

I know that not everyone reads the fishing section and pardon me for throwing this on the deer hunting section but I feel that someone could have been just as dishonest about a buck that they shot. Plus, I need as many inputs as possible to come up with a plan to make the situation right.

Well, I need advice on a situation that I was recently put in. I was in a fishing tournament with 2 other guys. The tournament was a 2 day tourney.

We were fishing the second day and one of the guys pulled out a fish from the live well that I knew that we had not caught that day. He had gone fishing after we weighed our fish the day before. He managed to keep the fish alive in a water box at his house and brought it in the boat the next day to weigh in. This was a horrible situation to be in. I know these guys fairly well and they are friends of my wife.

We ended up placing 3rd in the tournament and it payed out about 4,000 in cash and prizes. I defered any payment and would not accept any prizes because I knew it was wrong. I felt so horrible standing up there knowing that we weren't winners at all. They made me swear that I would not tell their wives or anyone else. I didn't tell their wives but I told my wife. She was in complete disbelief because she had thought all along that they were just great fishermen.

I am tempted to contact the guy who administrates the tournament to tell him about what they did because I can't sleep since the tournament because I feel like by not coming forward, I was just as much of a liar as they were. The guys wives are good friends with my wife and I don't want to cause a stir but they even admitted that they have done this before to win tournaments.

Suggestions?????????????????????????????

#1443507 - 08/07/09 12:45 PM Re: Not Deer Hunting But a Unethical Situation [Re: SAR Swimmer]
MUP
Non-Typical

Loc: Just North of Chatt-town

content Online
Dang. I believe I would have gotten out of the boat right then and had no part of it. But, that's woulda, shoulda, coulda kind of stuff. I don't believe I could stand being a part of a "cheat to win" group myself. No advice from me as of what to do now, but I will say, let your conscience guide you, as I believe it already is. Good luck. \:\)

Amateurs: Built the Ark

Professionals: Built the Titanic

#1443518 - 08/07/09 12:54 PM Re: Not Deer Hunting But a Unethical Situation [Re: MUP]
SAR Swimmer
6 Point

Loc: Pleasant View, TN/ Jacksonvill...

MUP,
I agree with you and I should have done that right then. That is why I have felt so bad is because I didn't.
I am a very laid back and easy going guy and I knew it was wrong but I was thinking about how this would effect my wife and her friendship with them. I didn't want to cause a big stir but the more that I think about it, I should have accepted the money from them and take it to the 4th place fishers who deserved it.
These guys are pretty well know in the town and people think they are good fishermen. Fact is, they are frauds. I almost want to tell the tourney director what happened to keep it from happening again. The saltwater tourneys in Fl pay alot of money and they are basically stealing. While I know that I will never fish with them, do I make an effort to keep it from happening again?

#1443532 - 08/07/09 01:01 PM Re: Not Deer Hunting But a Unethical Situation [Re: SAR Swimmer]
ferg
Cancer Free
16 Point

Loc: At the TNDeer shirt factory %^...

Your a [censored] Coastie !!!!! YOU KNOW what is RIGHT -

get off you arse and do it -

ferg....
uscg/ret !!!!!

Originally Posted By: SAR Swimmer
I know that not everyone reads the fishing section and pardon me for throwing this on the deer hunting section but I feel that someone could have been just as dishonest about a buck that they shot. Plus, I need as many inputs as possible to come up with a plan to make the situation right.

Well, I need advice on a situation that I was recently put in. I was in a fishing tournament with 2 other guys. The tournament was a 2 day tourney.

We were fishing the second day and one of the guys pulled out a fish from the live well that I knew that we had not caught that day. He had gone fishing after we weighed our fish the day before. He managed to keep the fish alive in a water box at his house and brought it in the boat the next day to weigh in. This was a horrible situation to be in. I know these guys fairly well and they are friends of my wife.

We ended up placing 3rd in the tournament and it payed out about 4,000 in cash and prizes. I defered any payment and would not accept any prizes because I knew it was wrong. I felt so horrible standing up there knowing that we weren't winners at all. They made me swear that I would not tell their wives or anyone else. I didn't tell their wives but I told my wife. She was in complete disbelief because she had thought all along that they were just great fishermen.

I am tempted to contact the guy who administrates the tournament to tell him about what they did because I can't sleep since the tournament because I feel like by not coming forward, I was just as much of a liar as they were. The guys wives are good friends with my wife and I don't want to cause a stir but they even admitted that they have done this before to win tournaments.

Suggestions?????????????????????????????

USCG(Ret)
Semper Par !

#1443539 - 08/07/09 01:08 PM Re: Not Deer Hunting But a Unethical Situation [Re: SAR Swimmer]
Bullfrog
6 Point

Loc: Ky Lake

I might have gotten my butt kicked by the two guys....but that fish would've gone swimming. Whats done is done, so you'll probably have a hard time proving anything or getting anything done about it. I'd definitely go to the tournament director with the understanding of keeping it anonymous, so that they will be watched more closely. If they keep it up, they will eventually be caught. A similar scenario happened to two guys in Dover TN, last year. They will never be able to fish another tournament again. Did the two guys take your money that you didnt' want?
#1443556 - 08/07/09 01:25 PM Re: Not Deer Hunting But a Unethical Situation [Re: SAR Swimmer]
TN RDG RNR
12 Point

Loc: Rhea County

I have found the further you let a lie go the harder it is to tell the truth. It would have been easy to make them throw the fish back when you discovered their plans to cheat but near impossible to make things right now.

I personally would chalk it up to a lesson learned.

#1443572 - 08/07/09 01:39 PM Re: Not Deer Hunting But a Unethical Situation [Re: Bullfrog]
Baxter83
Good ol' Boys
12 Point

Loc: Winchester, TN

Originally Posted By: Bullfrog
Whats done is done, so you'll probably have a hard time proving anything or getting anything done about it. I'd definitely go to the tournament director with the understanding of keeping it anonymous, so that they will be watched more closely.

That's pretty much what I was going to say! It would have been hard for me to keep from calling him out on the spot. Sounds like you were in an awkward position to say the least.

#1443607 - 08/07/09 02:15 PM Re: Not Deer Hunting But a Unethical Situation [Re: ]
Bottom Hunter
16 Point

Loc: Hatchie Bottoms

It is sad how some people want to win at all costs......

their dishonesty is only overshadowed by their lack of self -esteem...

Do the right thing........

I participated in one tournament in my life. It was a local deal with hardly no boundaries......one guy turned in a fish that weighed nine pounds and was dead. The fishes eyes were white and sticking about an inch. It was stick and on ice when they brought it in.....they allowed the fish to be entered......

my friend and I came in third place with a ten fish limit of 25 pounds........the winner's stringer weighed 56 pounds!!!

never entered another one......

For this very reason, I will not enter a big buck contest unless it is controlled(everyone hunts the same ground legally)......I just don't trust people anymore. Not after I have seen some of the things that I have seen.

do the right thing...........!!!

JMO

BH

Walk away; the battle they are fighting is not with you, but with themselves.

#1443614 - 08/07/09 02:19 PM Re: Not Deer Hunting But a Unethical Situation [Re: ]
Grizzly Johnson
Team Grizzly
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Originally Posted By: DUCK37101
You didn't take any of the winnings so as far as your own conscience goes I would leave it be and go on. This, because it is AFTER the fact, will cause many more problems now than it would have if you said something right away.
You SHOULD feel bad though and that is normal.

Those would be my thought's as well..... Then if they ask you to fish with them again, simply decline.....

I would say something to the tourney person though, let him know it's going on and to be watching for it....

#1443620 - 08/07/09 02:24 PM Re: Not Deer Hunting But a Unethical Situation [Re: Grizzly Johnson]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

No question. Game over right then and friendships with it. $4000??? You realize that is fraud and probably a felony? I'd have to contact a lawyer but it seems to me, since you were in the boat....

well you figure it out.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

Page 1 of 4 1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Shouldbeatwork, Tage, Horsefly23, jthisell, pacecardave
13187 Registered Users
Who's Online
84 registered (tndeerman, biglefty20, ZachMarkus, scott co htr, stylishblueticks, Horsefly23, 13 invisible) and 94 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13187 Members
42 Forums
91031 Topics
1063847 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.041 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.