Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#1408523 - 07/15/09 05:34 AM Met a real winner on JPP last night.
Back Home
10 Point

Loc: Lebanon

I've heard a few stories from others, but this was a first for me.

So I was approaching a semi-popular fishing spot at the same time as another boater. He gets there a few seconds before me, and so, instead of fishing on top of him, of course, I stop about 75 yards left of him.

The next thing I hear is, "Are you gonna cut me off?" I said, "Well, where did you think I was gonna go?" "Maybe he thinks I'm going to drive between his boat and the bank," I thought. I'd never do that, and by this time, I'd already stopped.

"You're cuttin me off you #$!@ idiot." My blood boiled instantly. I was nowhere near disturbing this guy and couldn't imagine how he believe otherwise.

Then, the truth came out.

"I'm fishin a tournament. You're just fun-fishin," he says. I'm not kidding one bit. Those were his exact words. Still mad, I said "Ahhhh, I should've known!"

After he called me every name in the book and exclaimed that I didn't know what I was doing, he said, "You better hang on!" That was his warning for the 15 mph drive by that was supposed to swamp me I guess. I could've ran faster. At the time, I wished he would've hit me. We could've at least met face-to-face.

In the end, I was glad to have maintained my cool more than I would've ten or 15 years ago. I've always gone out of my way to make sure I'm not disturbing other fisherman and respect their areas. But the spot I chose to land on was not only out way, way out of bow range but the opposite direction in which most fisherman choose to navigate when fishing this particular stretch of shoreline.

Not sure what I could've done to make this fool happy except to have cleared the entire bank just for him. I'm glad he told the truth though. He was p.o'd, not because I was disturbing him, but because he was a tournament fisherman - entitled to a 1/2 mile stretch of shoreline in his mind. And ya know, I'd probably have moved had he been more civil.

Hope this was just an isolated incident and never happens again.

#1408622 - 07/15/09 07:07 AM Re: Met a real winner on JPP last night. [Re: Back Home]
Grizzly Johnson
Team Grizzly
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Some guys are like that...... sort of like when we are trying to early goose hunt. It never fails to set up and not fifteen minutes into hunting some nut pulls up and casts a line out..... It's plain to see we are hunting too!! They usually leave quickly after we shoot at some geese as they fly over.....

#1408643 - 07/15/09 07:20 AM Re: Met a real winner on JPP last night. [Re: Back Home]
Baxter83
Good ol' Boys
12 Point

Loc: Winchester, TN

I've not been cussed at, and hope I never do for their sake. I have been cut off and fished on top of countless times though. I can't stand a cocky tournament fisherman. I fish some tourney's myself, heck I'm fishing one tonight, but there's no reason for people to be like that.

I think I would have followed that guy around and made his day miserable if I were you. I'm kinda mean spirited when it comes to things like that. ;\)

#1408651 - 07/15/09 07:28 AM Re: Met a real winner on JPP last night. [Re: Baxter83]
Back Home
10 Point

Loc: Lebanon

I meant to ask, isn't there something illegal about driving a boat that close to someone? He couldn't have turned me over, but I could have slapped him with my medium-heavy, 7'0 rod that I just bought at Bass Pro shops. He was that close. Shoulda, coulda...

Edited by Back Home (07/15/09 07:29 AM)

#1408680 - 07/15/09 07:43 AM Re: Met a real winner on JPP last night. [Re: Back Home]
Headhunter
10 Point

Loc: LaVergne, TN USA

I have not had many run-ins this year (last year was TERRIBLE!!!), but I have not spent as much time on Priest this year, but next time I will as politely as I can ask what tournament are you fishing and if he tells me I will be waiting at weigh-in and whoever is organizing the tournament will get an earful!

#1408682 - 07/15/09 07:43 AM Re: Met a real winner on JPP last night. [Re: Back Home]
Headhunter
10 Point

Loc: LaVergne, TN USA

I have not had many run-ins this year (last year was TERRIBLE!!!), but I have not spent as much time on Priest this year, but next time I will as politely as I can ask what tournament are you fishing and if he tells me I will be waiting at weigh-in and whoever is organizing the tournament will get an earful if he shows up and that is the tournament the guy was fishing!

#1408773 - 07/15/09 09:19 AM Re: Met a real winner on JPP last night. [Re: Headhunter]
username
10 Point

Loc: Williamson County

JPP seems to have a bunch of guys like that. I've rarely had an issue anywhere else but there.
#1408821 - 07/15/09 09:47 AM Re: Met a real winner on JPP last night. [Re: username]
easy45
Non-Typical

Loc: Chester County

not all tournament fisherman are like that, I use to fish them and I never acted like an ***hole to to other people

#1408845 - 07/15/09 10:06 AM Re: Met a real winner on JPP last night. [Re: easy45]
username
10 Point

Loc: Williamson County

Originally Posted By: easy45
not all tournament fisherman are like that, I use to fish them and I never acted like an ***hole to to other people

I still fish quite a few of them. Unfortunately all of the pecker heads use the "I'm fishin' a tournament" excuse in an attempt to validate their blatant disrespect and that sticks in peoples mind. The fact is that you either have respect for other people or you don't. It doesn't have anything to do with tournaments but for some reason alot of people associate one with the other.

#1409036 - 07/15/09 12:44 PM Re: Met a real winner on JPP last night. [Re: username]
Rackseeker
12 Point

Loc: Franklin County

I fish a few tournaments and I've seen fellas act like that to. The only reason they act like that is they haven't ran upon the right person yet. Like someone else said I would have followed him around until weigh in time and seen how bad he wanted to cuss me then. You have to remember there are a$$holes in every walk of life, not just tournament fishing.

Page 1 of 4 1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
bmobrady3, bmo3, chrislee, Patriot123, DT33
13565 Registered Users
Who's Online
117 registered (Living2Hunt, peleejosh, Jingaling, fullstream, Tennessee Lead, chip, 10 invisible) and 194 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13565 Members
43 Forums
99555 Topics
1171218 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.042 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.