Tndeer Logo

Page all of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#1408523 - 07/15/09 05:34 AM Met a real winner on JPP last night.
Back Home
10 Point

Loc: Lebanon

I've heard a few stories from others, but this was a first for me.

So I was approaching a semi-popular fishing spot at the same time as another boater. He gets there a few seconds before me, and so, instead of fishing on top of him, of course, I stop about 75 yards left of him.

The next thing I hear is, "Are you gonna cut me off?" I said, "Well, where did you think I was gonna go?" "Maybe he thinks I'm going to drive between his boat and the bank," I thought. I'd never do that, and by this time, I'd already stopped.

"You're cuttin me off you #$!@ idiot." My blood boiled instantly. I was nowhere near disturbing this guy and couldn't imagine how he believe otherwise.

Then, the truth came out.

"I'm fishin a tournament. You're just fun-fishin," he says. I'm not kidding one bit. Those were his exact words. Still mad, I said "Ahhhh, I should've known!"

After he called me every name in the book and exclaimed that I didn't know what I was doing, he said, "You better hang on!" That was his warning for the 15 mph drive by that was supposed to swamp me I guess. I could've ran faster. At the time, I wished he would've hit me. We could've at least met face-to-face.

In the end, I was glad to have maintained my cool more than I would've ten or 15 years ago. I've always gone out of my way to make sure I'm not disturbing other fisherman and respect their areas. But the spot I chose to land on was not only out way, way out of bow range but the opposite direction in which most fisherman choose to navigate when fishing this particular stretch of shoreline.

Not sure what I could've done to make this fool happy except to have cleared the entire bank just for him. I'm glad he told the truth though. He was p.o'd, not because I was disturbing him, but because he was a tournament fisherman - entitled to a 1/2 mile stretch of shoreline in his mind. And ya know, I'd probably have moved had he been more civil.

Hope this was just an isolated incident and never happens again.

#1408622 - 07/15/09 07:07 AM Re: Met a real winner on JPP last night. [Re: Back Home]
Grizzly Johnson
Turkey Forum Police
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Some guys are like that...... sort of like when we are trying to early goose hunt. It never fails to set up and not fifteen minutes into hunting some nut pulls up and casts a line out..... It's plain to see we are hunting too!! They usually leave quickly after we shoot at some geese as they fly over.....

#1408643 - 07/15/09 07:20 AM Re: Met a real winner on JPP last night. [Re: Back Home]
Baxter83
Good ol' Boys
12 Point

Loc: Winchester, TN

I've not been cussed at, and hope I never do for their sake. I have been cut off and fished on top of countless times though. I can't stand a cocky tournament fisherman. I fish some tourney's myself, heck I'm fishing one tonight, but there's no reason for people to be like that.

I think I would have followed that guy around and made his day miserable if I were you. I'm kinda mean spirited when it comes to things like that. ;\)

#1408651 - 07/15/09 07:28 AM Re: Met a real winner on JPP last night. [Re: Baxter83]
Back Home
10 Point

I meant to ask, isn't there something illegal about driving a boat that close to someone? He couldn't have turned me over, but I could have slapped him with my medium-heavy, 7'0 rod that I just bought at Bass Pro shops. He was that close. Shoulda, coulda...

Edited by Back Home (07/15/09 07:29 AM)

#1408677 - 07/15/09 07:41 AM Re: Met a real winner on JPP last night. [Re: Back Home]
Buck Nekkid
Non-Typical

Loc: Jefferson County,Tn

you showed more restraint than i ever would have

One half of "Man Purdy"

#1408680 - 07/15/09 07:43 AM Re: Met a real winner on JPP last night. [Re: Back Home]
Headhunter
10 Point

Loc: LaVergne, TN USA

I have not had many run-ins this year (last year was TERRIBLE!!!), but I have not spent as much time on Priest this year, but next time I will as politely as I can ask what tournament are you fishing and if he tells me I will be waiting at weigh-in and whoever is organizing the tournament will get an earful!

#1408682 - 07/15/09 07:43 AM Re: Met a real winner on JPP last night. [Re: Back Home]
Headhunter
10 Point

Loc: LaVergne, TN USA

I have not had many run-ins this year (last year was TERRIBLE!!!), but I have not spent as much time on Priest this year, but next time I will as politely as I can ask what tournament are you fishing and if he tells me I will be waiting at weigh-in and whoever is organizing the tournament will get an earful if he shows up and that is the tournament the guy was fishing!

#1408773 - 07/15/09 09:19 AM Re: Met a real winner on JPP last night. [Re: Headhunter]
username
10 Point

Loc: Williamson County

JPP seems to have a bunch of guys like that. I've rarely had an issue anywhere else but there.
#1408815 - 07/15/09 09:46 AM Re: Met a real winner on JPP last night. [Re: username]
Panther78
Team TLBB
Non-Typical

Loc: Crossville, TN

Idiot!

The Smiley Postin BANDIT!!
Home of Nanner Nation!
TNDEER Debate Club!
Forgotten Member of TLBB!

#1408821 - 07/15/09 09:47 AM Re: Met a real winner on JPP last night. [Re: username]
easy45
Non-Typical

Loc: Chester County

sleepy Online
not all tournament fisherman are like that, I use to fish them and I never acted like an ***hole to to other people

#1408845 - 07/15/09 10:06 AM Re: Met a real winner on JPP last night. [Re: easy45]
username
10 Point

Originally Posted By: easy45
not all tournament fisherman are like that, I use to fish them and I never acted like an ***hole to to other people

I still fish quite a few of them. Unfortunately all of the pecker heads use the "I'm fishin' a tournament" excuse in an attempt to validate their blatant disrespect and that sticks in peoples mind. The fact is that you either have respect for other people or you don't. It doesn't have anything to do with tournaments but for some reason alot of people associate one with the other.

#1409036 - 07/15/09 12:44 PM Re: Met a real winner on JPP last night. [Re: username]
Rackseeker
12 Point

Loc: Franklin County

I fish a few tournaments and I've seen fellas act like that to. The only reason they act like that is they haven't ran upon the right person yet. Like someone else said I would have followed him around until weigh in time and seen how bad he wanted to cuss me then. You have to remember there are a$$holes in every walk of life, not just tournament fishing.

#1410480 - 07/16/09 02:08 PM Re: Met a real winner on JPP last night. [Re: username]
4onaside
12 Point

Loc: Jackson,Tn

Originally Posted By: username

I still fish quite a few of them. Unfortunately all of the pecker heads use the "I'm fishin' a tournament" excuse in an attempt to validate their blatant disrespect and that sticks in peoples mind. The fact is that you either have respect for other people or you don't. It doesn't have anything to do with tournaments but for some reason alot of people associate one with the other.
I have to disagree with your last sentence. The whole premise of tournament fishing, is "look how good I am". Certainly there are a higher percentage of egomaniacs fishing tournaments, than there is in the general fisherman population. And, anyone who would use the excuse "I'm fishing a tournament" bears this out.

#1410490 - 07/16/09 02:21 PM Re: Met a real winner on JPP last night. [Re: 4onaside]
Rackseeker
12 Point

The way I look at it is if you can't deal with a-holes on the water just stay home. Unfortunately there are going to be people that are a-holes everywhere you go. Don't get mad just get even is the way I like to handle a-holes on the water.

#1410513 - 07/16/09 02:38 PM Re: Met a real winner on JPP last night. [Re: Rackseeker]
Winchester
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

Exactly, there are idiots of all forms. Being a tournament fisherman doesnt make you an idiot, acting like an idiot makes you an idiot!
#1410795 - 07/16/09 05:38 PM Re: Met a real winner on JPP last night. [Re: 4onaside]
username
10 Point

Originally Posted By: 4onaside

I have to disagree with your last sentence. The whole premise of tournament fishing, is "look how good I am". Certainly there are a higher percentage of egomaniacs fishing tournaments, than there is in the general fisherman population. And, anyone who would use the excuse "I'm fishing a tournament" bears this out.

Your thoughts are pretty much inline with most that do not fish tournaments. I've tried to plead the case on here for those of us who try to not step on toes and rub our fellow anglers the wrong way but it really doesn't do any good. I still get lumped in with the slime of the river, so I'll just quit trying and go fishing. ;\)

Funny thing is, I never get cursed at, have a lure whizzed by my head, or even have a word other than a kind one sent my way on the water. So either not all of us are that bad or there's alot of people out there that like to get mad after we leave.

#1410917 - 07/16/09 07:01 PM Re: Met a real winner on JPP last night. [Re: username]
4onaside
12 Point

Your thoughts are pretty much inline with most that do not fish tournaments. I've tried to plead the case on here for those of us who try to not step on toes and rub our fellow anglers the wrong way but it really doesn't do any good. I still get lumped in with the slime of the river, so I'll just quit trying and go fishing. ;\)

Funny thing is, I never get cursed at, have a lure whizzed by my head, or even have a word other than a kind one sent my way on the water. So either not all of us are that bad or there's alot of people out there that like to get mad after we leave.
Tournament fishermen certainly don't get in my hair, because I usually fish where they don't, spillways, small TWRA lakes, small streams, etc. And, my best buddy is a long time member of a bass club. However, the regimentation involved for the amount of fish caught ain't my bag. To each his own.

#1411293 - 07/17/09 02:28 AM Re: Met a real winner on JPP last night. [Re: 4onaside]
Back Home
10 Point

In this case, it wouldn't have mattered to me if he was a tournament fisherman or not. When he chose to intentionally intimidate me and the guy I was fishing with by running at top speed, within striking distance of my fishing rod, he went over the line.

I can appreciate tourney guys having an ego. I probably have more than I need to have myself. But I don't make it a habit of cussing at other fisherman and using my boat to intimidate others. Not that I could intimidate anyone in my old jon boat anyway. \:\)

#1412605 - 07/17/09 09:40 PM Re: Met a real winner on JPP last night. [Re: Back Home]
kdxdude
10 Point

Loc: Cleveland, Tn.

If you were upset enough about it to put it on a forum maybe you can learn from your experience. If he drove his boat within rod distance you could have placed some treble hooks in his lips. The other thing is you could have just sat & waited patiently at the ramp & had a discussion (yeah right, if I wait at the ramp on a feller they ain't much talking gonna go on when he gets there) & stomped your point into him. Not that I would do these things now that I've got religion, but those are the 2 things I would have done back in the day.

I hope something like this never happens to me cause I am striving to get stronger with my religion, but I am afraid it would prompt the devil to come out in me again.

Like someone said earlier, they just ain't run up on the right one yet. But rest assured there is someone out there that they don't want to try this with. God Bless & have a GREAT day!

#1413258 - 07/18/09 06:56 PM Re: Met a real winner on JPP last night. [Re: kdxdude]
kdxdude
10 Point

After all, if you reel your crankbait with 2 sets of treble hooks to the end of your rod & then reach it out & hook a guy in the lips or face, whose fault is it really?? Had he not been within 6 feet of your boat he wouldn't have got hooks in him. Man I love fishing!!!
#1413938 - 07/19/09 06:17 PM Re: Met a real winner on JPP last night. [Re: kdxdude]
4onaside
12 Point

Originally Posted By: kdxdude
If you were upset enough about it to put it on a forum maybe you can learn from your experience. If he drove his boat within rod distance you could have placed some treble hooks in his lips. The other thing is you could have just sat & waited patiently at the ramp & had a discussion (yeah right, if I wait at the ramp on a feller they ain't much talking gonna go on when he gets there) & stomped your point into him. Not that I would do these things now that I've got religion, but those are the 2 things I would have done back in the day.

I hope something like this never happens to me cause I am striving to get stronger with my religion, but I am afraid it would prompt the devil to come out in me again.

Like someone said earlier, they just ain't run up on the right one yet. But rest assured there is someone out there that they don't want to try this with. God Bless & have a GREAT day!
Did your discovering that you weren't the baddest A out there, have anything to do with your "getting religion". lol
My daddy taught me early on that however "bad" that you think you are, sooner of later you are going to run into someone that's badder. lol

#1413951 - 07/19/09 06:30 PM Re: Met a real winner on JPP last night. [Re: 4onaside]
kdxdude
10 Point

Did your discovering that you weren't the baddest A out there, have anything to do with your "getting religion". lol
My daddy taught me early on that however "bad" that you think you are, sooner of later you are going to run into someone that's badder. lol

What my Daddy taught me was how to take care of myself & not let someone run over me & disrespect me. You also hit the nail on the head when you said that there is also someone out there who is badder. You can also discover, that even when you think someone may be badder than you, when you don't let someone disrespect you, that you have some backbone & integrity about you.

As far as the religion part, I actually just felt like I was called towards the Lord. It is an awesome feeling & I hope You have, or will discover it one day. God Bless You & Have a GREAT day!! \:\)

#1414176 - 07/19/09 08:58 PM Re: Met a real winner on JPP last night. [Re: kdxdude]
4onaside
12 Point

What my Daddy taught me was how to take care of myself & not let someone run over me & disrespect me. You also hit the nail on the head when you said that there is also someone out there who is badder. You can also discover, that even when you think someone may be badder than you, when you don't let someone disrespect you, that you have some backbone & integrity about you.

As far as the religion part, I actually just felt like I was called towards the Lord. It is an awesome feeling & I hope You have, or will discover it one day. God Bless You & Have a GREAT day!! \:\)
When I was young and dumb, I never lost a fight. But I quit all of that stuff, before I ran into someone really bad. lol
And, I had an outstanding worship experience this morning, which hopefully, boosted me for the next few days. I hope you did also.

#1414187 - 07/19/09 09:09 PM Re: Met a real winner on JPP last night. [Re: 4onaside]
kdxdude
10 Point

You & I both know there is somebody badder out there. Now if we could just get the guy who was the tournament fisherman to read this he might know there is someone out there who might be a little badder than he is. LOL!

Let's just say I've been around grappling, oh, for about the last 30 years or so. So, trust me when I say, yeah there is always gonna be someone badder out there. But that doesn't mean you have to tolerate any lack of respect. It is an opportunity to find out what your made of too.

#1414201 - 07/19/09 09:21 PM Re: Met a real winner on JPP last night. [Re: 4onaside]
kdxdude
10 Point

My daddy taught me early on that however "bad" that you think you are, sooner of later you are going to run into someone that's badder. lol [/quote]

Above quote by 4onaside
Your Daddy sounds like a smart man. He must've already heard about me!

Edited by kdxdude (07/19/09 09:22 PM)

#1414207 - 07/19/09 09:24 PM Re: Met a real winner on JPP last night. [Re: 4onaside]
kdxdude
10 Point

[quote=kdxdude]If you were upset enough about it to put it on a forum maybe you can learn from your experience. If he drove his boat within rod distance you could have placed some treble hooks in his lips. The other thing is you could have just sat & waited patiently at the ramp & had a discussion (yeah right, if I wait at the ramp on a feller they ain't much talking gonna go on when he gets there) & stomped your point into him. Not that I would do these things now that I've got religion, but those are the 2 things I would have done back in the day.

When I was young and dumb, I never lost a fight. But I quit all of that stuff, before I ran into someone really bad. lol

Above quote by 4onaside
Smart move on your part. I'm your huckleberry! LOL!!!!!

Edited by kdxdude (07/19/09 09:25 PM)

#1414241 - 07/19/09 09:50 PM Re: Met a real winner on JPP last night. [Re: kdxdude]
Asaltwpn1
6 Point

Loc: Usually lost

The Florida way to remove A##hole boaters is to keep a few big weights lying around in the boat. Once you start throwing, they realize that they should be going.

#1414647 - 07/20/09 08:46 AM Re: Met a real winner on JPP last night. [Re: Asaltwpn1]
4onaside
12 Point

Originally Posted By: Asaltwpn1
The Florida way to remove A##hole boaters is to keep a few big weights lying around in the boat. Once you start throwing, they realize that they should be going.
I used to fish the Arkabutla spillway in N. Mississippi many years ago, and some regulars would get there at dawn. Then some 9 oclock wonders would get there and wade out right in front of them, efectively blocking their access to the fish. Their solution to that problem was to cast over them. A bell weight repeatedly going by your right ear would usually convey the message.

#1415011 - 07/20/09 01:29 PM Re: Met a real winner on JPP last night. [Re: kdxdude]
buckdead
8 Point

Loc: southern middle tn

Look at it like this

You can preach Jesus and beat the hell out of him at the same time.

So that would be like putting your religion on steroids.

#1415098 - 07/20/09 02:53 PM Re: Met a real winner on JPP last night. [Re: buckdead]
kdxdude
10 Point

LOL!!

It's just that you always hear these stories about somebody buzzed by me in their boat, or cut me off on the water, or buzzed by between my boat & the bank.

Just once I would love to hear a story of someone doing something like the aforementioned scenarios & then get to hear how the one who was offended dealt with it with some force. Good chance if you heard more of folks dealing with someone being obnoxious, by getting a little physical, then you might not hear as much about some of these guys being jerks. Just a thought. \:\)
God Bless Ya'll & have a GREAT day!!

#1415145 - 07/20/09 03:36 PM Re: Met a real winner on JPP last night. [Re: Asaltwpn1]
warrent423
6 Point

Loc: Tenn. McMinn, Athens

Originally Posted By: Asaltwpn1
I can score consistant hull shots both from the boat or the jetty. Flare gun comes in handy also. Spent many days and nights snook fishing around Jupiter inlet.

#1415492 - 07/20/09 08:57 PM Re: Met a real winner on JPP last night. [Re: easy45]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

content Online
hate to hear that

You wont know,if you dont go!

#1420541 - 07/23/09 08:20 PM Re: Met a real winner on JPP last night. [Re: kdxdude]
Rackseeker
12 Point

LOL!!

It's just that you always hear these stories about somebody buzzed by me in their boat, or cut me off on the water, or buzzed by between my boat & the bank.

Just once I would love to hear a story of someone doing something like the aforementioned scenarios & then get to hear how the one who was offended dealt with it with some force. Good chance if you heard more of folks dealing with someone being obnoxious, by getting a little physical, then you might not hear as much about some of these guys being jerks. Just a thought. \:\)
God Bless Ya'll & have a GREAT day!!

Thats what is wrong with the world today. People don't have a backbone these days. Parents teach their kids to go with the flow and respect everybody. Respect goes both ways.

#1421948 - 07/24/09 07:29 PM Re: Met a real winner on JPP last night. [Re: Rackseeker]
UPSman
TnDeer Old Timer
12 Point

Loc: Powell Tn

Honest to God, I would have tied on the BIGGEST egg sinker I had and tried to knock the cowling off the motor.

....or the hat off his head.

#1422401 - 07/25/09 10:19 AM Re: Met a real winner on JPP last night. [Re: UPSman]
Radar
Non-Typical

Loc: Kansas City, Mo.

I have a guy cut close to me and the bank I was fishing once as I just finished making a long cast . My line wrapped around his prop along with my 3/4 oz. sinker . Although I was pissed at him , I knew he would pay dearly for it later with line wrapped around his prop shaft and seal . \:\)
I never really had words with anyone on the water . For some reason , nobody seems to give me any crap . I treat others with respect and allow plenty of room for other fisherman to fish .
If someone is on a spot , I don't fish it !

Page all of 4 1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Fish N Hunt, bowednlazy, ULTIMATE TARGETS, Philski, Original Booger
13295 Registered Users
Who's Online
96 registered (tbird13, feldmutze, HDUKE1986, HuntingDicksonDTC, Takeum, striker12, 12 invisible) and 167 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13295 Members
42 Forums
85620 Topics
1034562 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.237 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.