The Smiley Postin BANDIT!!
Home of Nanner Nation!
TNDEER Debate Club!
Forgotten Member of TLBB!

#1402455 - 07/10/09 11:09 AM Re: Bill Dance Outdoors Gets Salty [Re: Panther78]
7mm08
10 Point

Loc: In a river hopefully!

Well I'll be.........Bill Dance is going to buy some private ocean so he can fish out of that, since I have never seen him in anything other than privately stocked ponds.

His recommendations are as meaningless as a 22 year old NY city stockbroker, or some late night TV evangelist.

Edited by 7mm08 (07/10/09 11:10 AM)

#1402745 - 07/10/09 03:02 PM Re: Bill Dance Outdoors Gets Salty [Re: 7mm08]
Taylor Administrator
10 Point

Loc: Brownsville, Tennessee

Don't know...7mm, haven't seen the show.
#1403409 - 07/11/09 09:35 AM Re: Bill Dance Outdoors Gets Salty [Re: Taylor]
RUGER Administrator
Mouse Killa
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

I have seen it and it is very good.
On the shows I have seen he has stressed on the point that the trips he makes and the things he does anyone can do on a small budget.

Lots of disapproval / envy of Bill Dance on this site for sure, always has been.
Never have figured out why.

Guess people would rather have Jimmy Houston promoting hunting than Bill Dance promoting fishing.

#1403747 - 07/11/09 04:25 PM Re: Bill Dance Outdoors Gets Salty [Re: Venison1]
Taylor Administrator
10 Point

Loc: Brownsville, Tennessee

I know when they were planning the show, it was supposed to be an "anybody can go there" deal. Hope it is a good show.
#1403970 - 07/11/09 07:50 PM Re: Bill Dance Outdoors Gets Salty [Re: Taylor]
mike243
16 Point

Loc: east tn

i'll watch bill dance any day & jimmy houston can go to the poor house,mike243

#1403980 - 07/11/09 08:06 PM Re: Bill Dance Outdoors Gets Salty [Re: RUGER]
Dr. Dickel
12 Point

Loc: Hockins County

Very good example of how NOT to post on this site.

Simply no excuse in that at all.

Edited by RUGER (07/12/09 07:37 AM)

#1404022 - 07/11/09 08:32 PM Re: Bill Dance Outdoors Gets Salty [Re: Dr. Dickel]
RKenney
10 Point

Loc: Maury Co.

Story.
A friend of mine fished a small name tournement, years ago,
before Bill Dance was well known nationally. Everyone had their
boats ready to go...all except for Bill.

His fancy "state of the art" motor would not start. Everyone
laughed and then they "blasted" off to whip his butt.

All Bill did was let his trolling mptor down and fish around the
"launching" area.

Believe it or not...Bill won the tournement!

"And now you know......the rest of the story".

#1404493 - 07/12/09 10:03 AM Re: Bill Dance Outdoors Gets Salty [Re: RKenney]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

\:\)

You wont know,if you dont go!

#1404497 - 07/12/09 10:08 AM Re: Bill Dance Outdoors Gets Salty [Re: Football Hunter]
rukiddin?
8 Point

Loc: E. Tenn

Not real familiar with all his doings, but he seems to promote and do quite a bit for the state of TN. Plus, I had rather saltwater fish or watch it than freshwater fish anyday.

"I'm gone to carolina in my mind"

#1405128 - 07/12/09 07:15 PM Re: Bill Dance Outdoors Gets Salty [Re: rukiddin?]
Venison1
16 Point

Loc: United States

I have watched Bill Dance on television my entire life and cant wait to see the Saltwater fishing next.

http://www.billdanceoutdoors.com/about-bill.php

#1405714 - 07/13/09 07:50 AM Re: Bill Dance Outdoors Gets Salty [Re: Venison1]
Headhunter
10 Point

Loc: LaVergne, TN USA

I have heard many stories about Bill Dance, all bad, and almost all are word of mouth but 2, and I trust those 2 stories. He is famous for buying fish so he can catch them again.

#1407109 - 07/14/09 08:18 AM Re: Bill Dance Outdoors Gets Salty [Re: Headhunter]
Headhunter
10 Point

My mistake, I meant to say "2 of the stories" out of MANY I have heard.

#1407812 - 07/14/09 05:11 PM Re: Bill Dance Outdoors Gets Salty [Re: RUGER]
MRUTVOL
6 Point

Loc: Goodlettsville,Tennessee,USA

Originally Posted By: RUGER
I have seen it and it is very good.
On the shows I have seen he has stressed on the point that the trips he makes and the things he does anyone can do on a small budget.

Lots of disapproval / envy of Bill Dance on this site for sure, always has been.
Never have figured out why.

Here is my take on it from my perspective ,as I growed up admiring BD when I was a kid and I am now almost 60. I am among the group who has lost some respect for his shows. In his early years he was quiet good at fishing public areas and places that the everday Joe could go to but in his later years he has resorted more to the private sectors of fishing to make his shows such as private ponds and irrigation reservoirs and such. He mainly does his bass fishing from those areas. On numerous shows he sits in one spot and catches large bass after large bass with the backgrouds never changing and not a boat to be seen anywhere around. I can go today to a 4 acre pond on a farm in Lincoln county and do the same thing and look like an expert. The reality is in the type areas he is fishing you know the fish are there and are not going anywhere you just have to figure out what they want on that day. That is a far cry from fishing Old Hickory or Percy Priest or Tims Ford or just about any large impoundment where the fish are under constant pressure. A few years back they had a Old Timers fishing tournament here on Percy Priest with various former pros such as Roland Martin and Bill Dance and others. I think Ole Bill caught a whopping 1.75 lbs of bass! I would just say that his expert days have left him bye, IMO . As for his new salt water show I have only watched 3 or 4 adventures and on all he was with a local guide who was showing him the ropes so to speak ,so in that respect I guess you are right that anybody can do it with the $$$ for a guide to show you where and how.

Now having said that I do like ole Bills UT hat he wears! ;\)

#1407907 - 07/14/09 06:15 PM Re: Bill Dance Outdoors Gets Salty [Re: MRUTVOL]
7mm08
10 Point

Loc: In a river hopefully!

Careful MrUTVol,
I wrote about the same thing and got my response removed. He only fishes private ponds and in my opinion he is about selling something that he knows nothing about. Who can't catch a fish in a private pond?

Ruger. There is no envy of someone that has to change the rules in order for him to succeed at it.

Edited by 7mm08 (07/14/09 06:17 PM)

#1407923 - 07/14/09 06:32 PM Re: Bill Dance Outdoors Gets Salty [Re: 7mm08]
Dr. Dickel
12 Point

Loc: Hockins County

Got my post yanked too. I guess it was to harsh for the toddlers to read. Let me rephrase nicer then.....he couldn't catch a cold. Anybody can catch a fish in a livewell with a dipnet.....that is what his private lake fishing is compared to. The shame is though, that even when fishing in private lakes that are stocked with Florida-strain largemouth, that receive no pressure at all and the fish would hit an oak tassle on a treble hook, it still takes him 2 days to get 20 minutes of footage for a 30 minute show.

But I stand by my envy remark, at least he does not have to work for a living.

#1408082 - 07/14/09 08:17 PM Re: Bill Dance Outdoors Gets Salty [Re: Dr. Dickel]
Venison1
16 Point

Bill Dance must know something, you dont make millions being stupid or make television shows....with all the evidence in the world SHOWING you how to catch fish and actually CATCHING fish on video......over and over and over and over again for FORTY YEARS for someone to say some of these things.
Also, Fishing,filming,trailering your boat DAY after DAY and meeting with sponsors, doing special promotions,commercials,events..etc...
Is not only WORK it is a JOB I WISH I HAD.
Whats wrong with these people, come on.
I truly can not beleive some of the stuff Im reading. Some act like he is out day and night electro-fishing or something and raising fish in a 5 gallon bucket for his show. LOL
MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!

#1408326 - 07/14/09 09:51 PM Re: Bill Dance Outdoors Gets Salty [Re: Venison1]
gil1
12 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

I have no idea where or how he catches, but I have learned a lot from him over the years.

Now the little orange hat is pitiful \:D , but I'd love to share a boat with him otherwise.

Dr. Saxton Pope

#1408357 - 07/14/09 10:05 PM Re: Bill Dance Outdoors Gets Salty [Re: gil1]
RKenney
10 Point

Gil,
What do you have against little orange hats (ha)? I agree with
you, I would love to share a boat with him too.

I remember the older shows the most. I remember several creek
fishing shows, where a "true" fishermans skills show thru. I am
a big creek fishing fan and I could tell he knew his stuff, no
matter what creek location that the show was filmed at.

Like I said in my earlier reply to this post, if you get laughed
at for your motor not starting at a tournement.....just put your
trolling down........and fish.......and you too might win.

#1408691 - 07/15/09 07:52 AM Re: Bill Dance Outdoors Gets Salty [Re: RKenney]
Headhunter
10 Point

Mrutvol, I was at the "legends" tournament you referenced, I pulled the boats from 4 Corners to Bass Pro. I do not know what Bill caught and do not care. He was one of the rudest, most inconsiderate people I have ever met. I will give him the benefit of having a bad day, and do not care how he treated me, but if you would have seen how he talked to the children, I was ready to yank him out of his boat and read him "from the book". Kevin Van Dam and Jimmy Houston were as nice as could be, and they had numbers of people around them, Jimmy would talk fishing with anyone and had nothing but grins for anyone. Bill was an old fart to say the least. I pulled Jack Emmett both days and he was a great guy. Most of the tournament fisherman are great guys, my brother knows them on a first name basis, and for the most part he says they are just like us. My personal experience with Bill was hard to understand. One of my best friends was in Texas fishing, they had a fish over 9 pounds, Bill did everything but offer his boat for the fish. Why would he want that fish for any reason?

Many years ago, one of good friends from growing up were below Pickwick and had crushed the sauger. Bill also was fishing below Pickwick at that time, had not caught any sauger and offered to buy them, my friend and his dad went along, they would have given him the fish to eat, they were catching all they could catch, and asked why did he want to buy them, he said to make a show he could not catch any. They of course told him to go and figure it out and leave them and their fish alone. To this day, they will not even acknowledge he fishes. Before you say anything, my friends dad made a living for close to 20 years guiding on Lake Okechobee (spelling?) and he was a great fisherman here in Tennessee also.

Edited by Headhunter (07/15/09 07:58 AM)

#1408777 - 07/15/09 09:24 AM Re: Bill Dance Outdoors Gets Salty [Re: Headhunter]
username
10 Point

Loc: Williamson County

I'll be loooking forward to the salt water bloopers. Those things crack me up.
#1408852 - 07/15/09 10:12 AM Re: Bill Dance Outdoors Gets Salty [Re: Football Hunter]
KSbuck
4 Point

Loc: West TN

Open your eyes!!! Taylor writes for "Bill Dance Publishing" and Ruger wants to be an outdoor writer so bad he would take up for Satan himself if he owned a magazine...........

Yes BD is a JERK!!! A 1st Class A-1 Jerk not because he buys fish but because of the way he treats people.....

#1408869 - 07/15/09 10:22 AM Re: Bill Dance Outdoors Gets Salty [Re: KSbuck]
gil1
12 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: KSbuck
Open your eyes!!! Taylor writes for "Bill Dance Publishing" and Ruger wants to be an outdoor writer so bad he would take up for Satan himself if he owned a magazine...........

Well, you busted me on that one, too. I ain't burnin' any bridges. \:D

Dr. Saxton Pope

#1408954 - 07/15/09 11:42 AM Re: Bill Dance Outdoors Gets Salty [Re: 7mm08]
MRUTVOL
6 Point

Loc: Goodlettsville,Tennessee,USA

Originally Posted By: 7mm08
Careful MrUTVol,
I wrote about the same thing and got my response removed. He only fishes private ponds and in my opinion he is about selling something that he knows nothing about. Who can't catch a fish in a private pond?

Ruger. There is no envy of someone that has to change the rules in order for him to succeed at it.

Well his shows are entertaining to a degree I just do not put much stock in his advise as I used to. As for Envy I guess you could say maybe that is the case in that I would love to be making a living doing the kind of fishing that he does unlike the pros on the tours that have to win or at least place to keep their sponsors and have a lot more pressure to produce.

#1409360 - 07/15/09 06:10 PM Re: Bill Dance Outdoors Gets Salty [Re: MRUTVOL]
4onaside
12 Point

Loc: Jackson,Tn

Will Rogers never met Bill Dance. lol

#1409750 - 07/15/09 09:36 PM Re: Bill Dance Outdoors Gets Salty [Re: 4onaside]
RKenney
10 Point

I'm not what you call a "Bill Dance fan", but I can't help but
think the man knows alot about fishing. As far as how he treats
people, I have no comment, because I don't know the man or the
circumstances of the bad PR reports.

#1409853 - 07/16/09 01:42 AM Re: Bill Dance Outdoors Gets Salty [Re: Headhunter]
Kevin
8 Point

Loc: Jackson, TN

Originally Posted By: Headhunter

Many years ago, one of good friends from growing up were below Pickwick and had crushed the sauger. Bill also was fishing below Pickwick at that time, had not caught any sauger and offered to buy them, my friend and his dad went along, they would have given him the fish to eat, they were catching all they could catch, and asked why did he want to buy them, he said to make a show he could not catch any. They of course told him to go and figure it out and leave them and their fish alone. To this day, they will not even acknowledge he fishes. Before you say anything, my friends dad made a living for close to 20 years guiding on Lake Okechobee (spelling?) and he was a great fisherman here in Tennessee also.

My grandad has the same type story of Bill trying to buy a nice stringer of bass off his lake in south east memphis. Grandpa asked him why he wanted the fish and Bill responded, were going to go down to lake view and shoot a TV show. Grandpa told him no, that he was taking the fish home to have a fish fry with his kids and wife. Bill then offered to take Grandpa along with him and said he could be on the show.

Kinda see a trend developing.

That said i would love to be as successful in selling something as he has. ;\)

A bad day fishing is better than a good day of work.

Roll Tide

#1410021 - 07/16/09 08:04 AM Re: Bill Dance Outdoors Gets Salty [Re: Kevin]
Headhunter
10 Point

I will agree with one thing, I would like to be as successful as Bill has been at making money, but I would wish there were no rumors like the MANY I have heard floating aroung.

#1410949 - 07/16/09 07:20 PM Re: Bill Dance Outdoors Gets Salty [Re: Football Hunter]
Twitch
8 Point

Loc: Knox

haha...Billy Boy goin salty !

#1411217 - 07/16/09 10:19 PM Re: Bill Dance Outdoors Gets Salty [Re: Twitch]
Venison1
16 Point

I tried to sell Bill some fish one time,
He told me, "Son, everywhere I go people try to sell me fish, dont you see my shows, I catch my own fish every where I go!"

Page all of 4 1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
PEhunter, Amy pesterfield, Blood seeker, fghijk604245, top_of_the_foodchain
13289 Registered Users
Who's Online
8 registered (Daniel n, fourwheeler431, danny1975, cdtac1, Vermin93, Master Chief, 2 invisible) and 67 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13289 Members
42 Forums
85432 Topics
1032281 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.24 seconds in which 0.012 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.