Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#1371817 - 06/17/09 08:26 PM It is that time of year again...fleas!
tndoe
Raspy Ole Hen
16 Point

Loc: tn

I have a beautiful pup who is highly allergic to flea bites. One bite and he scratches till he almost bleeds. So it is real important to me to keep those blood suckers off my sidekick.
With a neighborhood that loves dogs it is hard to do sometimes.

I did some research and came up with some great tips for natural flea and tick repellants. I thought I'd share them with you guys/gals.

I also want to say I put the new pkg of frontline plus on pup two weeks ago and he is still picking up a flea or three when he goes out to do his business. Is anyone else having this problem with frontlineplus? I bought this at the vets, not online, so I know it has to be the real stuff.

Some tips:
;\) GARLIC !!
1. Keeps dogs from having worms and gets rid of worms that are there.
2. Keeps fleas and ticks off dogs by getting into the dog's system and creating
a garlic odor that fleas and ticks detect and avoid the dog altogether.
(Don't worry, your dog won't smell like garlic. Humans can't detect
the garlic odor on the dog but the insects sure will!)
3. Reduces a dog's cholesterol level for good heart function.

Garlic Juice is easiest way to give garlic to your dog, here's how most kennels and dog owners do it:
Spray or pour garlic into the dog's food, mix well into the food.

Here's the recommended daily dosage:
5-20 lb. dogs - 4 sprays or 1/4 ounce in food daily.
21-50 lb. dogs - 6 sprays into food and mix well.
51 lbs. and over dogs 8 sprays into food and mix well.

If, for some rare reason your dog will not eat food with the garlic juice in it, mix the garlic
juice with soybean oil (available in the cooking oil section at your local supermarket) and mix
into food - this also helps make a very nice coat on the dog.
DO NOT USE THIS WITH CATS.

;\) Brewer’s yeast tablets will also help to make your dog less attractive to fleas because once again the smell is excreted through the skin.

;\) Citronella !!
Add 1 to 2 drops, depending on your pet’s size, of either Lemongrass or Citronella oil to their shampoo and then use as usual. This not only works great but also leaves your pet smelling wonderful.

APPLE CIDER]
Other natural repellents include vitamin B1 (thiamine) and apple cider vinegar. (See your veterinarian for the correct amount of a vitamin B1 supplement for your pet.) The dosage of apple cider vinegar is about one teaspoon daily in the pet's drinking water. Apple cider vinegar helps strengthen the immune system.

Adding a dessertspoon of natural apple cider to the water bowl will make the skin more acidic and unpleasant to fleas and ticks. If your dogs don’t fancy apple cider vinegar in the water bowl, dilute it 50/50 with water and use in a spray bottle instead of the citrus repellent.

Flea Hater's Dog Biscuits
1 cup flour
1/4 cup wheat germ
1/4 cup brewer’s yeast
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons canola oil
optional 1 clove garlic chopped, or 1 teaspoon powdered garlic
1/2 cup chicken stock plus 3 tablespoons for basting

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper. Mix flour, wheat germ, brewer’s yeast, and salt together in a medium bowl. In a mixing bowl, combine oil and garlic. Alternately add 1/2 cup chicken stock and flour mixture in 3 parts; mix until well combined. Knead about 2 minutes by hand on floured surface; dough will be sticky.

On a lightly floured surface, roll dough out about 3/8 inch thick. Cut out bone shapes; place on prepared baking sheet. Bake 10 minutes, rotate baking sheet, and baste with remaining 3 tablespoons chicken stock. Bake 10 minutes longer. Turn off oven, leaving oven door closed. Leave pan in oven for 1 1/2 hours longer and then cut into treat size.

;\) Sprinkle the Borax

Borax is great for fleas. It is not toxic and you can sprinkle it on your carpet. Let it sit for a few days and then vacuum it up. You can sprinkle it around the fence of your yard too. I understand that using Skin So Soft from Avon on the animals' coats will repel fleas and mosquitoes. It is also good for the kids skin but just make sure you get the original from Avon.

Cedar Chips as Repellent
Putting cedar chips along your fence line will keep the fleas from other people's yards out of your yard, as cedar repels fleas.

CITRUS REPELLENT:
Cut a lemon into quarters and place in a pint jug. Cover the lemon with boiling water and let it steep overnight. Next day you have a flea repellent that you can use in a spray bottle. Spray all over your dog remembering especially behind the ears and around the head generally (careful of eyes), around the base of the tail (once again keep away from delicate bits) and under your dog’s "armpits."

A flea collar:
can be made by rubbing a few drops of one of the following into an ordinary webbing or rope collar or even a doggy bandanna: Eucalyptus Essential Oileucalyptus essential oil, Tea Tree Essential Oiltea tree essential oil, Citronella Essential Oilcitronella essential oil, Lavender Essential Oillavender essential oil or Geranium Essential Oilgeranium essential oil. Don’t forget to do this weekly.

A natural repellant spray for yourself.
Soak the following in water:
Lemon peels and/or orange peels
Mint leaves and/or sage leaves
Lavender leaves

If you can soak them all overnight, in the morning you'll have a strong mixture. After straining this use 1/2 of this mixture and add some witch-hazel to make up the other half. Simply lightly spray yourself down with this mixture and you should be good to go in the evening. This natural insecticide is safe on the children and pets as well.

A natural insecticide that works as a flea repellent for dogs that will save you a lot of money can be whipped up in the kitchen in a matter of minutes. It should be noted however that this repellent should not be used on cats as citrus is toxic to them in large amounts.

You basically make a tea out of citrus peels, it doesn't matter what type, lemon peels, or orange peels, any type of citrus peels will work. You put the peels in water and boil. After they have cooled, you strain the liquid and then rub it into his or her coat, during the final rinse of the bath. This kills fleas as well as acts as a repellent for any that might be lurking around the yard. Do not use on cats, as it is toxic to them!

An inexpensive way to rid your yard of fleas is to sprinkle DE (diatomaceous Earth) all over the yard. You can buy a large bag for just a few dollars at any swimming pool supply store. It is used normally as part of the filtration system for swimming pools.
Use cedar chips around fences and boundries.

Edited by tndoe (06/17/09 08:54 PM)

#1385828 - 06/28/09 02:32 PM Re: It is that time of year again...fleas! [Re: ]
Boone 58
16 Point

Loc: Food Plot

Excellent info anyone can use.

#1386852 - 06/29/09 09:08 AM Re: It is that time of year again...fleas! [Re: Boone 58]
CoastieHunter
4 Point

Loc: Southaven, MS

I have a family and my youngest daughter decided she was going to bring a kitten in the house while I was away on leave. Well needless to say about 10 days after the kitten entered the house we were completely infested with fleas.

No joke that I could walk into the room where my daughter was and within 1 minute would have at least 10-15 fleas on my ankles! It was so bad that even the Exterminator I called said it was a total infestation, in order to get rid of them they would have had to tent the house! $1000 + SCREW THAT.

We tried the following:
Bombs, Powder, baths, sprays, more bombs, drops etc... NOTHING worked!

So here's what I did....

Went to the local Feed store, asked "what can I do to get rid of fleas, I could care less about killing the cat or anyone in the house because it's outrageous"

She said "Use Prometherin, but leave the house imediately and don't come back for a couple days."

So I got the pump sprayer and mixed 5oz per gallon even though it said only use 2oz per gallon.... I literally opened the windows and sprayed every single inch of the carpet.

4 days later there were some straglers.... so I sprayed again!!!

Finally I have no fleas in my house and the cat is LONG LONG LONG gone!

#1387971 - 06/29/09 09:16 PM Re: It is that time of year again...fleas! [Re: tndoe]
buckhorn40
Non-Typical

Loc: Crossville

#1389441 - 06/30/09 08:47 PM Re: It is that time of year again...fleas! [Re: buckhorn40]
WTM
8 Point

Loc: CAMDEN, TN

you know the vets sells pills now that kills the fleas in 20 minutes and continues to kill for 30 days. one pill a month, 14 bucks.
#1394224 - 07/04/09 05:52 PM Re: It is that time of year again...fleas! [Re: WTM]
Chaneylake
Brownsville Mafia
16 Point

Loc: on the wings of a snow white d...

I put the frontline on the back of Bunks neck, the first day of every month, he will be 7 in December, never a flea and only 1 tick and he was not attached, the frontline works great on him reguardless of how much he is in the water, he will swim in the lake in the front yard at least once a day in the summer, still no ticks/fleas

Living somewhere between this world and the other, Legends of the Fall

#1396032 - 07/06/09 10:36 AM Re: It is that time of year again...fleas! [Re: Chaneylake]
scott co htr
10 Point

Loc: SCOTT COUNTY TN

Frontline on all of mine

Take a Kid Hunting or Fishing.

The Lord did not promise that life would be easy, but He did promise to go with you every step of the way.

#1418808 - 07/22/09 07:00 PM Re: It is that time of year again...fleas! [Re: ]
govols
4 Point

Loc: McEwen,TN

I've been using Frontline Plus on my pup for two months now and she still has a few fleas. What is the pill WTM is talking about?
#1560957 - 10/17/09 06:46 PM Re: It is that time of year again...fleas! [Re: ]
cowdoc
4 Point

Loc: Middle Tn

The pill they are talking about is a new product called comfortis. Seems to work really well. Can bathe them all you want and don't have to worry with any of it washing off. Should be given with a full meal. It only protects against fleas and not ticks so when the ticks are really out you either need to use a different product or get a preventick coller which seems to work well.

I have had a few complaints with frontline. I don't know whether it is the product or that hte fleas have been really horrible this season.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
6 registered (blueheron, Muwasi, gun nut, gil1, JCS, kentuckylakebuck) and 66 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180122 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.008 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.