Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#1348786 - 05/31/09 01:06 PM Got a workout yesterday
Buzzard Breath
8 Point

Loc: East

After posting the picture of the trophy trout I caught the other day, a buddy (barry) called and asked me to help him get in on this action. He's mainly a tailwater fisherman, so I had to explain to him that he needed to throw everything he learned fishing tailwaters out the window and start from scratch. In the mountains, we fish upstream, not down. We use dry flies not nymphs and soft hackles. And we've never even considered spoonplugging, not even going to go there.

I took Barry to one of my favorite not-so-roadside streams. We got on the stream about 4:00, he's left handed and I'm right, so I crossed the stream and we were able to fish up the stream at the same time.I managed to hook a few rainbows while Barry struggled to catch any. I think he did manage to long distance release a few, though. The stream we were fishing rises in elevation quickly, so you fish a pool, climb a boulder the size of a car, then fish the next pool. Way more work than should have been necessary to catch a few fish. At about 5:30 or so, I suggested we move to another stream and give it a shot.
Picture of first stream

After a 45 minute drive, we arrived at the next stream. With this being roadside, a couple and their kids were swimming in the first hole, so we waded up-stream, to get away from the vacationers. After fishing for 15 minutes and getting no rises, I noticed a set of wet footprints on the rocks. Since we were parked along the road, we hopped in the car and ran upstream to the next pool-off. I tied on what proved to be game winning fly (thanks for the suggestions scn). It's a size 16 standard dry fly hook, 2 yellow goose biots for a tail, bleached elk hair wing, and a thin cut strip of 1/8" foam wrapped for a body. The thing floated like a cork!

Over the next hour, I caught roughly 15-20 rainbows, and missed many others. I actually missed way more than I caught. Right at 8:30 there were a ton of bugs hatching, yellow sallies, sulphurs, and hendericksons (I think). Trout were rising eagerly all around. A great day in all.

Have a good day.

Buzz

Edit; I forgot to mention what the workout was. I woke-up this morning feeling like I was worked over with a baseball bat. Climbing them boulders wore me out. My shoulders and thighs are as sore as can be. Not to mention all the bruises on my shins. Getting old sucks. But, I'll probably go back and fish the first stream next weekend by myself. It's still one of my favorites. ;\)

Edited by buzz mcmanus (05/31/09 01:11 PM)

#1348796 - 05/31/09 01:24 PM Re: Got a workout yesterday [Re: Buzzard Breath]
go_okfishin
6 Point

Loc: Bellevue

Nice, Man I miss fishing those streams in the park.

#1348804 - 05/31/09 01:48 PM Re: Got a workout yesterday [Re: Buzzard Breath]
Tubakka
6 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Originally Posted By: buzz mcmanus
...And we've never even considered spoonplugging, not even going to go there.

Shows how little you actually know about anything concerning it, and therefore you shouldn't speak on it so sarcastically...because you practiced it without even knowing it. Spoonplugging isn't trolling a spoonplug; it's a methodology. It is summed up as saying utilizing the right controls of depth,speed, size, color and action, in that order on and around the features fish use in their movements and migrations both daily and seasonally. If you caught what were the larger more elusive fish in that particular system using those controls, which you had to or you would not have caught it, then you were by definition spoonplugging. once again a terrible name for a very definitive and scientific approach to the angling process that encompasses all desired species in all environments. Buck proved that again and again in every body he fished...the same rules applied, just in different manifestations. He even had a fly rod lure...which by his own admittance was kind of a joke and a nod to that demographic to market to them, but apparently the thing was killer on little trout in such stream environments and allowed for great control on light tackle, but was more of a vanity than a practicality, a rare miss in his rather long string of limited run lures. I would give anything if they still made the 900...an 8" brass crankbait that could outlast any on the market today, be trolled up to 12 mph or more, and dive 20 feet on a fairly short line. What a great bait...

#1348818 - 05/31/09 02:03 PM Re: Got a workout yesterday [Re: ]
stillinscrubs
4 Point

Loc: nashville, tn

Corey belongs to the Church of Spoonplugology. Don't offend his religious nonpractical ileals or his god Buck will put his rath upon you.

I need to go back on hiatus the caney map website is getting neglected......

#1348819 - 05/31/09 02:04 PM Re: Got a workout yesterday [Re: ]
trealtree
16 Point

Loc: Middle Tennessee

cool trip, Ive fished up that way a few times.

#1348826 - 05/31/09 02:16 PM Re: Got a workout yesterday [Re: Tubakka]
Buzzard Breath
8 Point

Loc: East

Tubakka,

Your post was too long for me to read the whole thing. My comment was meant to be a joke, sit back and laugh a little. Fishing isn't meant to be so serious. Sorry if I offended you.

Buzz

#1348832 - 05/31/09 02:30 PM Re: Got a workout yesterday [Re: Buzzard Breath]
Tubakka
6 Point

Buzz,
Sorry man, it's way cool. I guess I'm a little gunshy to guys being complete dicks to me on here. Sorry you got caught in the cross fire. But what I said was true. Minus the sarcasm thing. That was a mistatement on my part.

Scrubs, no, I'm smart. I hear about a man who developed a system of angling all on his own, spent 16 years just refining it, invented his OWN tackle system, lures based on physics principles, something that he taught at the collegiate level, to run at specific depths so he could map the bottom while simultaneously fishing it, a man who fished every continent except Antarctica and proved his methods to be true, the first man to apply truly scientific principles to angling, helped found Fishing Facts magazine which in turn helped spawn the modern angling movement of knowledge instead of haphazard superstition, took Bobby Jones fishing upon request, REFUSED Jimmy Carter after being requested "he didn't vote for him" [haha, gotta love the ol' coot], and heralded by all the great anglers of the day as the father of modern structure angling...

Literally thousands of 10 pound plus bass in his lifetime, and trophy specimens of all other species, including helping to pioneer the salmon fishery on the Great lakes [the maps out of Waukegan Illinois in the little green book are outstanding]...no, let's not pay attention to him, at all.

You may not like me, but facts are facts. There are FAR better and more accredited anglers than I'll ever be that would strike you down where you stand for being so disrespectful to one of the fathers of our sport, if not one of the definitive, albeit underappreciated figures...want a list? Why don't you ask them yourself...

...starting with larry Dahlberg.

#1348836 - 05/31/09 02:36 PM Re: Got a workout yesterday [Re: Tubakka]
Tubakka
6 Point

btw, I do appreciate the skill it takes to catch those little guys. I had to go after some in the adirondacks. I used little jerks, and that worked fine, bt they weren't quite as bold as the tailrace dinks...they were smaller fish, but more wisened it seemed. Not as blatantly aggressive.

...more than that, I appreciate the hike it took to get there.

#1348851 - 05/31/09 03:36 PM Re: Got a workout yesterday [Re: Tubakka]
scn
16 Point

Loc: Brentwood, TN US

Beautiful fish. Thanks for reminding me of "home" with another great report. Catching those little jewells is really special.

#1348885 - 05/31/09 04:54 PM Re: Got a workout yesterday [Re: scn]
easy45
Non-Typical

Loc: Chester County

cool

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Litemup80, five by five, Doe1961, OfficerBuck, rapalabuck
13311 Registered Users
Who's Online
16 registered (Fearless, BamaProud, deerchaser007, TeamTndeer, whackmaster, Mike) and 52 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13311 Members
42 Forums
94109 Topics
1099517 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.101 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.