Tndeer Logo

Page 10 of 10 « First<678910
Topic Options
#1345447 - 05/28/09 11:37 AM Re: Catch and Release [Re: bowriter]
captain hook
10 Point

Loc: Knoxville

Tubs sorry to burst your bubble, but a 24" Brown trout is not that large a brown trout, not small but not a monster as you love to harp. 30"+ is what would be a big brown trout, now a 24" rainbow is a big rainbow.

#1345916 - 05/28/09 04:11 PM Re: Catch and Release [Re: captain hook]
Tubakka
6 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Um, Captain Hook...

...I believe I'm the one who called a 25" a dink, and called out BD for calling a trophy fish a fish that hasn't even reached half it's potential size in weight. I'm not the one who calls those fish trophies. I've never harped them up to be monsters. "hate to burst my bubble"...um er...where are you pics pal? You talk a big game, but I don't see no show on the court.

Seriously dude, where'd you even DERIVE that? You're just TRYING to be an jerk now.

Edited by Tubakka (05/28/09 04:14 PM)

#1345939 - 05/28/09 04:28 PM Re: Catch and Release [Re: Tubakka]
B.D.
8 Point

Loc: Hendersonville TN

The definition of a "trophy" depends on where you sit.

A lot of people will call a 6 lb. bass a trophy, yet their "maximum growth potential" is at least 22 lbs according to the record books. The world record brook trout is 15 lbs. and the coaster brookies can get up to 6 or 7 lbs., but if you catch a 2 lb brook trout in the Smokies, everybody I know would agree it's a trophy. I'd have to ask Richard Simms to be sure, but I bet most of his customers would call a 30 lb. blue cat a trophy, but their "maximum growth potential" is at least 125 lbs. and probably more. I bet Richard wouldn't go around calling a 30 lb blue a "dink," if for no other reason than he demonstrates more modesty than that.

"Trophy" is a subjective term that has as much to do with ease and relative rarity of capture as anything else.

That said, in my view it's still goofy - and pure egocentrism - to walk around calling a 25-inch brown trout a "dink." You routinely catch trout on the Caney more than a few inches longer than that? Don't think so.

bd

Edited by Brian Dunigan (05/28/09 04:32 PM)

#1345970 - 05/28/09 04:53 PM Re: Catch and Release [Re: B.D.]
Tubakka
6 Point

Loc: Tennessee

No, but I'm not stupid enough to pretend like I've maxxed out the fishery at all. Or my own ability to grow as an angler. There were muskies swimming in Kinkaid over 54" long. I rarely took them over 44" and my biggest was 48.5". I didn't go around caling the 44's "trophy".

I think it's pure egocentrism when guides...GUIDES...throw up "trophy" pics on their page of 19-20-21" brown trout. I knew a guy who guided the caney who used to JACK spots off of a friend of mine who was an INCREDIBLE fly angler and then go guide on them...his biggest brown on the Caney was 19". Now there are guides out there that DO know what they're doing and can back it up, but guys like that taint the title.

Yes, the term trophy is relative...but not to a particular tactic. It's relative to the fishery's capability to produce. The Caney has produced browns over 20 pounds. I'm sure there are at least a couple in there pushing 30 or over. I don't think there's a world record, but stranger things have happened.

Somehow the idea was divulged that I think I'm God's gift to angling. I'm the first to admit that I have alot of knowledge to learn and grow, but at least I'm aware of it. Lots of poor souls fish their whole lives thinking that a 25" is a HUGE fish on the Caney it seems. And because of that they don't change their tactics to pursue larger, because they simply don't realize they exist I s'pose.

You notice I didn't call that 30" rockfish yesterday a trophy. It was a really nice fish for that tackle and what we were doing, but even that section of the river has produced 30-40-50 pound fish.

You used the brookie example...that's completely moot. Appalachian brookies are not the sea run labradors, more than tailrace rainbows are Great lakes steelhead. Same fish, but the environments create two different animals. Yeah a 2 lb appalachian brookie is a huge one. But that's a totally different strain in a totally different environment. Are you arguing just to be contradictory now? Surely Matlock is on or something else to occupy your bedfast. Haha jk.

If anything me calling them dinks is a level of humility in my own angling abilities. I 'm not catching the fish I know are there, and I want to learn how, but I'm not there yet. Anyone who gets offended by that...well maybe it'll get them thinking bigger too, I guess.

#1345977 - 05/28/09 05:06 PM Re: Catch and Release [Re: Tubakka]
B.D.
8 Point

Loc: Hendersonville TN

Why can't "trophy" be relative to a particular tactic? It's a subjective term. It does not mean a [censored] thing other than what a particular angler wants it to mean.

Last time I checked, nobody held an election and voted you Official Arbiter of What Fishing Words Mean. Just because you believe "trophy" starts at 20 lbs or something doesn't make you right and someone else wrong. If some other dude catches an 18" trout and it's his biggest fish and he wants to call it a trophy, who cares?

On the topic of guides, some people hire guides to teach them how to fly fish, or just to float them around all day with a fishing pole and feed them a shore lunch. If a guy who has never caught bigger than a 19" trout wants to go around claiming he'll put you on big fish, then yeah, I agree that's garbage. But if he says "Pay me $300 and I'll give you a fun day on the river and teach you how to fly fish," well, that's his market and there's nothing wrong with that. Maybe he can't find a 20-incher but he'll give you a 100 stockers a day. Some people would think that was the best fishing day ever. I know a ton of folks who'd rather have steady action from small fish all day than spend the day hunting for a handful of shots at big trout.

bd

#1345982 - 05/28/09 05:12 PM Re: Catch and Release [Re: Tubakka]
captain hook
10 Point

Loc: Knoxville

Originally Posted By: Tubakka
Um, Captain Hook...

...I believe I'm the one who called a 25" a dink, and called out BD for calling a trophy fish a fish that hasn't even reached half it's potential size in weight. I'm not the one who calls those fish trophies. I've never harped them up to be monsters. "hate to burst my bubble"...um er...where are you pics pal? You talk a big game, but I don't see no show on the court.

Seriously dude, where'd you even DERIVE that? You're just TRYING to be an jerk now.

I misread your comments, and you won't see very many pics of me ever, turkeys, deer, fish, not much of anything. Just not my thing, I don't need a lot of backslapping to feel good. Also, just not big on advertising what I am doing, and where I am doing it, there is nothing to gain and a whole lot to lose.

I agree that a 25" brown is half the weight of a true trophy brown trout, since most 25" fish will be around 7-8 lbs at best.

Edited by captain hook (05/28/09 05:12 PM)

#1346168 - 05/28/09 08:31 PM Re: Catch and Release [Re: captain hook]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

Didnt know CH misread comments on this thread too

You wont know,if you dont go!

Page 10 of 10 « First<678910

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
bassassassin7, BBQ, Kornhunter, Afleming17, 260rem
13281 Registered Users
Who's Online
97 registered (Planking, fourwheeler431, deerhunter10, monster11, AndyW, in the dog house!, 8 invisible) and 134 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13281 Members
42 Forums
85143 Topics
1028901 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.216 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.