Page 3 of 9 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#1339408 - 05/24/09 08:34 PM Re: Catch and Release [Re: B.D.]
gil1
12 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: Brian Dunigan
 Originally Posted By: gil1

Speaking of, I'm getting hitched and honeymooning (bonefishing) in July. I may only get one carp outing in during the big fly carpin' tournament, so you better step up to the plate and have a good showing this year.

You may have missed that I dislocated my right shoulder in a whitewater accident a week ago. I won't know for another week whether I'm going to have to have surgery. I'm hoping I'll be back in one piece by July, but if I can't cast, I'm going to have a hard time entering.

bd

I caught a bit of that, but I had no idea it was so serious. How could you be out putzing arouind during carp spring training? How could you go mess up the throwing arm when the team needs you? \:D

Hope you don't have to slice it up. You could go lefty, but I would imagine it would be tough to score as technical as carping can be. Good luck.

Dr. Saxton Pope

#1339465 - 05/24/09 09:06 PM Re: Catch and Release [Re: gil1]
smstone22
16 Point

Loc: Allardt, TN

I like KY's and I like crappie. I dont keep many at all but sometimes during the summer if I get on big schools of KY's, I will keep 10 or so out of every 50.

#1339598 - 05/24/09 10:16 PM Re: Catch and Release [Re: ]
Tubakka
6 Point

Loc: Tennessee

I had this WHOLE thing typed up and then decided...

...no...

...it had some real gems in it too Gil. You'd have loved it. XOXO

"Tartar Sauce" h aha...I'm getting a shirt made.

...I'll leave it at this. I believe in catch-and-release as a management tool and a concept to be practiced and regarded, not as an absolute and a life-style choice. Alot of people use it almost like some demographics do their sexual orientation...it becomes almost an identity to them, more than just a practice of their character. And it most certainly shouldn't be a line of segregation between folks utilizing a resource, especially when the party inciting judgment upon another isn't even utilizing the same layer of the resource. Do I believe catch-and-release is a good practice? Of course. Do I believe that there is this utopian fishery in artificially augmented or created fisheries that exists if every single fish is release in a PUT-GROW-AND-TAKE fishery? No. And is it not a beautiful thing to HAVE the luxury of a fishery that is built to take the harvest of some nice fish for the table?

#1339733 - 05/25/09 05:42 AM Re: Catch and Release [Re: Tubakka]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

Oh Lord! Simms and I agree...again.

But Gill-As much as I revere a smallmouth, if there was only one left in the world and I caught it---if I was hungry for fish...I'd eat it.

(just broke three major rules of journalism punctuation.)

Now a view from the porch:

"I think its weird to keep a bass,JMO,seems like to much fun to catch em,but crappie and cats,I love em" Wrote Football Hunter.

So a bass is more exalted than a lowly catfish or a bream or a trout? Then you would agree we should not hunt elk? Ever caught a tarpon or a big carp?

You simply cannot, in my view put one species of fish above another. Gil loves to catch skipjacks. He dotes on carp fishing and now he has started shooting arrows at them. That is truly utilizing the resource.

I love to catch fish. I love to eat fish. Fish were put here to feed humans, not entertain them. I believe pesca should come full cycle. You catch them and enjoy. You eat them and enjoy. You go crap in the garden and enjoy. Then pick the maters to go with the next fish you catch...

and enjoy.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#1339750 - 05/25/09 06:33 AM Re: Catch and Release [Re: ]
Radar
Non-Typical

Loc: Kansas City, Mo.

It depends on the species and the fishery . I tend to do whats best for the fishery .

#1339826 - 05/25/09 08:00 AM Re: Catch and Release [Re: gil1]
rsimms
10 Point

Loc: Chattanooga, TN

Originally Posted By: gil1
 Originally Posted By: rsimms
It's like a massive aquarium... You might be able to cram 100 guppies in your 10-gallon aquarium, but 85 of them are going to die no matter how well you feed them.

Same is true on our reservoirs. They'll only support XX pounds of fish and anything you cram in there (or release) is likely to die of natural mortality. The carrying capacity of our reservoirs does vary depending upon natural vegetation, water flow, etc. But it is the existing environmental factors that dictate how many fish there are... not how many mere fishermen release.

I agree except...
Although a fishery can hold only a certain amount of fish, the catch and release person, just like the mature buck hunter, wants more of the older age classes to survive. We (or I should say "I") want the "quality experience" that we hear about.

The reason most private ponds ask you to toss the big fish back and eat all the little ones is so the little ones won't take up too much of that total percentage. They'll eat some of the forage momma needs to become a bruiser. Leave momma alone for us to catch over and over again, and eat all the little'uns. Let momma eat some of those little'uns too, and she'll end up being a real trophy.

Although I'm not dissing anyone for taking their share, I have no idea why someone would eat a 5 pound bass and throw the little ones back. Why some eat a 20-inch trout only to toss the 12-inchers back is equally baffling. I'd eat a 20-incher about as quick as I would eat my dog. Yes, I'm exaggerating, but the point is that the trophies are too valuable as sportsfish to eat when they can be caught over and over again.

You can't compare management of a farm pond to the Tennessee (or Cumberland) River system. Apples and oranges.

As for releasing the trophies... fine if you do so as a matter of personal choice. Case in point - My buddy used to tag bass. He tagged a 5-pounder and released. One year later his son, at six years old, caught exact same fish... and it weighed six pounds. (That story is in my book).

BUT, take the case of the guys in California who caught a new world-record bass. No doubt they could have had it ceertified, but they released it because they new the catch was "questionable." (potentially snagged the fish on the bed). The fish was clearly identifiable due to a prominent black spot on a gill. A few months later the fish was found floating bloated and dead... likely of old age or other associated maladay.

Moral of my ramblings... release the big ones if you wish in hopes the first story might come true and someone else enjoy your good will.

But accept the fact that it is VERY possible that the latter will be true... that the fish will simply die to be eaten by turtles and other aquatic scavengers. It happens a lot more than we care to admit.

"So why don't I see dead bass floating all over the lake," you might ask.

Just like people who drown, they don't float until they start to decompose. And then, only if the body cavity remains uncompromised. That can take anywhere from a day or two, up to a month. And fish are much smaller than people... so the aquatic scavengers in nearly every case comprimise body cavities (or consume the fish) long before you ever get the chance to see it float.

The next time you see mysterious bubbles popping to the surface of a lake ... consider that it could be the remains of the rotting body of a world record bass that someone was good enough to release.
http://www.ScenicCityFishing.com

#1339828 - 05/25/09 08:02 AM Re: Catch and Release [Re: rsimms]
RUGER Administrator
Mouse Killa
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

\:D

#1339913 - 05/25/09 08:54 AM Re: Catch and Release [Re: RUGER]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

JMO opinion Bowriter,keeping a bass seems weird to me,but keep all you want,especially out of OH,seems like there must be 5 billion 11/2 pound bass in there.

You wont know,if you dont go!

#1339958 - 05/25/09 09:48 AM Re: Catch and Release [Re: bowriter]
madMax
4 Point

Loc: Middle TN

Originally Posted By: bowriter

"I think its weird to keep a bass,JMO,seems like to much fun to catch em,but crappie and cats,I love em" Wrote Football Hunter.

So a bass is more exalted than a lowly catfish or a bream or a trout? Then you would agree we should not hunt elk? Ever caught a tarpon or a big carp?

You simply cannot, in my view put one species of fish above another. Gil loves to catch skipjacks. He dotes on carp fishing and now he has started shooting arrows at them. That is truly utilizing the resource.

I love to catch fish. I love to eat fish. Fish were put here to feed humans, not entertain them. I believe pesca should come full cycle. You catch them and enjoy. You eat them and enjoy. You go crap in the garden and enjoy. Then pick the maters to go with the next fish you catch...

and enjoy.

I pretty much agree 100%. Who is to say a bass is better than a crappie or a trout better than a skipjack? Oh I know who....

From what I understand C&R was born mainly from 2 camps: Bass Tourney guys and Trout Enthusiasts/Purists. Look years later at the results... young anglers who will grow to believe eating bass and trout is a sin. Its almost a brainwashing effect. I know that C&R is critical for managing fisheries and of course regs have been in place for decades nationwide but I'm talking about the C&R mentality that exists on a higher level

The argument is "let em grow so we can all catch trophies". Who decides whats a trophy? Who even invented the concept of "sport fish"? Why does it consume some ppl so much that they look down on others? I enjoy the whole fishing experience - being on or in the water, taking in my surroundings, catching the fish, and sometimes YES - eating my catch.

If some are so obsessed with catching only big fish and it overwhelms you that much why not just fish the pay pond? I mean arent the big fish supposed to be part of the magic? They shouldn't be an everyday experience...they should come during that special moment, every so often, or maybe once in a lifetime.

Imagine your kid growing up saying "Dad I'm tired of going to the Caney all we catch are those big brown trout on every cast I want to catch something different. Something even bigger and better!" (maybe a little exaggerated but you get the drift )

Thats why you start kids out on bluegill Because if you look at it this way people will never be satisfied. Trophy hunters always want bigger and better. I guess it becomes like a drug - once you build tolerance to catching a big bass or trout you want more big ones - and bigger ones, and more more more!

Maybe for some rehab you trophy addicts should take a kid fishing and just watch and listen to them - hopefully you will again see the big picture instead of your Catch, Photo, Relapse... \:\)

#1339975 - 05/25/09 10:09 AM Re: Catch and Release [Re: bowriter]
gil1
12 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

But Gill-As much as I revere a smallmouth, if there was only one left in the world and I caught it---if I was hungry for fish...I'd eat it.

(just broke three major rules of journalism punctuation.)

4 - You misspelled my name. \:D

True, but I think we do anyway. Folks toss whitefish on the bank out west because they want more trout. We naturally choose the better fighter or the better tasting or the better looking. I am not a snob about looks (if you had seen some of my old firlfriends, you'd agree).

Dr. Saxton Pope

Page 3 of 9 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
woodie, Montana10point, sandman064, MossyOak30, fallshollow270
13107 Registered Users
Who's Online
51 registered (Master Chief, Unicam, danny1975, DEER REPELLANT, diamond hunter, Jcalder, 7 invisible) and 97 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13107 Members
42 Forums
88868 Topics
1039552 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.222 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.