Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 9 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#1339212 - 05/24/09 04:03 PM Re: Catch and Release [Re: RUGER]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

I am very much in favor of catch or release. But only if the regulations make sense. I eat fish. I like to eat fish. I care nothing about eating trout so use whatever regs you want on them are fine with me.

But I eat bass. Make me throw back a 14.5 inch bass and I will keep an 18' bass to eat. I am going to eat bass. I am going to eat fish.

Certainly, the catching is the thrill. But I eat fish. I am a two-legged Comorant when it comes to fish. The currant length limits make me throw back fish I should eat and eat fish I should throw back. I don't want to eat a four pound smallmouth.

But sautede in white wine they are delicious.

The creel limit is plenty sufficient to protect the various species. When will TN fish managers realize WE EAT FISH DOWN HERE! Let me keep five 13" fish and those 56 packages in my freezer would be from TN, not AL.

Oh man. I feel so much better. I'm going to go start the deep fryer and change my shorts, now.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#1339217 - 05/24/09 04:22 PM Re: Catch and Release [Re: bowriter]
4onaside
12 Point

Loc: Jackson,Tn

Gil even though you published a disclaimer up front, I can't imagine that some of our elitist brethern have not jumped in with a sermon about how those folks who keep them shouldn't. The forum has its share of holier than thou guys. I can't believe that they haven't risen to the fly. Must be the presentation!

Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish proverb

#1339260 - 05/24/09 05:41 PM Re: Catch and Release [Re: gil1]
rsimms
10 Point

Loc: Chattanooga, TN

These days I rarely keep fish (for myself), except crappie. But only because I'm too lazy to cleam them.

As for my "beliefs," I see a limb and I'm going to walk right out on it.

I believe that if it is legal and you want to eat it... eat it! ... no matter the species or conditions.

With the exception of "put & take trout" it is called a "renewable resource." Biologists set creel limits at the levels they believe necessary to sustain that renewable resource based on the habitat.

Therefore I am of the opinion that every legal fish that is caught, could be kept and our fisheries would be absolutely fine and dandy.

It's like a massive aquarium... You might be able to cram 100 guppies in your 10-gallon aquarium, but 85 of them are going to die no matter how well you feed them.

Same is true on our reservoirs. They'll only support XX pounds of fish and anything you cram in there (or release) is likely to die of natural mortality. The carrying capacity of our reservoirs does vary depending upon natural vegetation, water flow, etc. But it is the existing environmental factors that dictate how many fish there are... not how many mere fishermen release.

I do not fault anyone who wants to release fish, even applaud them.

I only ask that those folks do not think less of those who don't.
http://www.ScenicCityFishing.com

#1339361 - 05/24/09 07:48 PM Re: Catch and Release [Re: rsimms]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

I think its weird to keep a bass,JMO,seems like to much fun to catch em,but crappie and cats,I love em

You wont know,if you dont go!

#1339370 - 05/24/09 07:52 PM Re: Catch and Release [Re: gil1]
B.D.
8 Point

Loc: Hendersonville TN

Originally Posted By: gil1

Speaking of, I'm getting hitched and honeymooning (bonefishing) in July. I may only get one carp outing in during the big fly carpin' tournament, so you better step up to the plate and have a good showing this year.

You may have missed that I dislocated my right shoulder in a whitewater accident a week ago. I won't know for another week whether I'm going to have to have surgery. I'm hoping I'll be back in one piece by July, but if I can't cast, I'm going to have a hard time entering.

bd

#1339373 - 05/24/09 07:55 PM Re: Catch and Release [Re: gil1]
shopson
10 Point

Loc: Greeneville

When sauger/walleye are biting I put fish in the freezer. When crappie are biting, I put fish in the freezer. When bass are biting, I put fish in the freezer, except the 12 fillets I cleaned Wednesday. Me, the wife and son ate 5 and a half of the six largemouths I cleaned. All were 15' or larger but nothing over 3 lbs. MMM good.
#1339393 - 05/24/09 08:13 PM Re: Catch and Release [Re: bowriter]
gil1
12 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: bowriter
I The currant length limits make me throw back fish I should eat and eat fish I should throw back.

Although I hate to admit it, I agree. I don't understand the backwards nature of our largemouth regs.

Originally Posted By: bowriter
IThe creel limit is plenty sufficient to protect the various species. When will TN fish managers realize WE EAT FISH DOWN HERE! Let me keep five 13" fish and those 56 packages in my freezer would be from TN, not AL.

Eat all the bluegill, crappie, cats you want and whatever you catch in AL, but don't go messin' with my smallies in TN. This is a different subject, but I really think river smallies should be C&R. I've seen overharvest wear some fine streams to nothing. It just takes so dern long for a smallie (especially in smaller streams and in some E TN streams) to mature and even reproduce.

Dr. Saxton Pope

#1339397 - 05/24/09 08:21 PM Re: Catch and Release [Re: 4onaside]
gil1
12 Point

Originally Posted By: 4onaside
Gil even though you published a disclaimer up front, I can't imagine that some of our elitist brethern have not jumped in with a sermon about how those folks who keep them shouldn't. The forum has its share of holier than thou guys. I can't believe that they haven't risen to the fly. Must be the presentation!

I was thinkin' the same thing. I wanted that Bob dude to come on and tell everyone they suck for eating fish. I was really hoping Tubbs would join in with a couple of pages about some musky fishery and then tell me I'm too stupid to catch fish anyway. You're right - I delicately lobbed the bait in there when I should have smashed it down into an explosion.

How's this?

"Those of you who kill fish, especially big ones, are not true sportsmen. Matter of fact, y'all cast like girls." Wait here's my favorite - you hear this one a lot in hunting, too -"Outdoorsmen go through stages. Those that don't let them go just haven't matured as outdoorsmen. Once they learn how to fish and hunt (like me), they will let the little bucks walk and the big feeshies swim."

That ought to get this sucker rolling! \:D

Dr. Saxton Pope

#1339401 - 05/24/09 08:29 PM Re: Catch and Release [Re: gil1]
4onaside
12 Point

Loc: Jackson,Tn

Now you're cookin'!

Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish proverb

#1339405 - 05/24/09 08:32 PM Re: Catch and Release [Re: rsimms]
gil1
12 Point

Originally Posted By: rsimms
It's like a massive aquarium... You might be able to cram 100 guppies in your 10-gallon aquarium, but 85 of them are going to die no matter how well you feed them.

Same is true on our reservoirs. They'll only support XX pounds of fish and anything you cram in there (or release) is likely to die of natural mortality. The carrying capacity of our reservoirs does vary depending upon natural vegetation, water flow, etc. But it is the existing environmental factors that dictate how many fish there are... not how many mere fishermen release.

I agree except...
Although a fishery can hold only a certain amount of fish, the catch and release person, just like the mature buck hunter, wants more of the older age classes to survive. We (or I should say "I") want the "quality experience" that we hear about.

The reason most private ponds ask you to toss the big fish back and eat all the little ones is so the little ones won't take up too much of that total percentage. They'll eat some of the forage momma needs to become a bruiser. Leave momma alone for us to catch over and over again, and eat all the little'uns. Let momma eat some of those little'uns too, and she'll end up being a real trophy.

Although I'm not dissing anyone for taking their share, I have no idea why someone would eat a 5 pound bass and throw the little ones back. Why some eat a 20-inch trout only to toss the 12-inchers back is equally baffling. I'd eat a 20-incher about as quick as I would eat my dog. Yes, I'm exaggerating, but the point is that the trophies are too valuable as sportsfish to eat when they can be caught over and over again.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Page 2 of 9 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
purrpplee, tnduckhunter, draw2drop, Oh Deer, Deer slayer85
13112 Registered Users
Who's Online
83 registered (Tims, Boll Weevil, TRIGGER, wildlifelover, DaveB, bjohnson, 12 invisible) and 157 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13112 Members
42 Forums
89241 Topics
1043766 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.28 seconds in which 0.013 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.