Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 9 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#1338987 - 05/24/09 11:23 AM Catch and Release
gil1
12 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

\:D \:D \:D \:D

We haven't had a good screaming match in a while. You can't really discuss abortion or God or Ford vs. Chevy or broadheads vs. mechanicals on this forum, so I figured catch and release would do.

Instead of dissing the other side for what they believe, I'd love to hear specific reasons for your mentality on the subject. I don't give a crap what you think about your neighbor's methodologies. What makes you tick and why?

Maybe I'll chime in later with more of my personal thoughts, but there's a huge gray area for me. I eat plenty of fish I catch and throw back many more. It depends on the species and its habitat. For instance, I throw all smallies back but eat some largemouth if a pond needs the management. I eat one trout per year (on an annual camping trip) and throw hundreds per year back, so there's no clear line.

As I've said many times here before, I usually value a fish more for the pleasure I receive catching it than eating it. But I still kill crappie, bluegill, sea trout, etc. because I believe the resource can withstand the harvest.

I write about my personal C&R in fly fishing articles and magazines all the time, but I can't write about my beliefs in a hook and bullet magazine for fear of losing the job. I'd like to be able to present an unbiased commentary representing both sides of the coin.

I'd love to hear some points of view on the contoversial subject.

Dr. Saxton Pope

#1339019 - 05/24/09 11:51 AM Re: Catch and Release [Re: ]
stik
"Popcorn"
18 Point

Loc: lenoir city,tn

legal crappies rarely get thrown back and i'll keep a mess of trout a couple of times a year. those are the only ones i eat so everything else gets released.

nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught

#1339059 - 05/24/09 12:40 PM Re: Catch and Release [Re: stik]
Kirk
Cerebral Assassin
16 Point

Loc: Cleveland, TN USA

I have only kept one fish in freshwater in the whole time I have been fishing. It was a 6.11 Largemouth I kept and had mounted.
All the rest have been released. I don't like fish so it is easy for me to throw them back.

Deep Sea I have kept several and gave them away to friends and neighbors. It's sort of hard to release one that has been gaffed by a deck hand. I tell them to throw them back but they never do unless they over the limit. I guess they sell what the charter customers don't take home.

#1339071 - 05/24/09 12:51 PM Re: Catch and Release [Re: stik]
Kimberman
10 Point

Loc: Knoxville

It depends on where I am fishing. I personally won't eat fish out of certain lakes in East Tennessee.(Loudon, Melton Hill,and Watts Bar come to mind) I will only eat legal sized crappie, big bluegill, or walleye out of lakes like the upper end of Tellico, Dale Hollow, or Norris. Now if I go crappie fishing or trout fising with someone who wants to keep fish, I am more than happy help out with a limit, unless its bass. I have been fishing for over 20 years and have never kept a bass, and I could never bring myself to eat a smallmouth unless I had to feed my starving family. The only time I will keep trout is if I am camping at Citico ot Tellico river, and they get eaten on the trip. I only have 1 fish mounted, and its a 42 lb Barracuda that I caught on my honeymoon that the guide gaffed to get in the boat, so I figured what the heck, catch and release is out the window. I have pics of a 6lb smallmouth that I released, and that works just as well as a mount in my mind, plus I released a fish with some good genes so maybe one day I can catch its kids!

#1339072 - 05/24/09 12:51 PM Re: Catch and Release [Re: Kirk]
Happy Birthday keith35611
4 Point

Loc: Athens,AL

If I wanna eat them I keep them.If not i throw them back.That goes for any species.Sometimes I just am not in the mood to clean fish,but love to go,just to get out.
#1339075 - 05/24/09 12:52 PM Re: Catch and Release [Re: Kirk]
bigluresonly
6 Point

Loc: Cookeville

If i catch a legal fish and plan to eat it fresh that night or the next day i will keep it and do just that. Other than that I release them to be caught again. I might eat more of them if I was'nt just plain ole to lazy to clean them.
#1339103 - 05/24/09 01:22 PM Re: Catch and Release [Re: stik]
4onaside
12 Point

Loc: Jackson,Tn

I still catch a bunch of fish, but I rarely keep or clean any, although I have done so a million times in my life, just too lazy in recent times. Besides, if I want fish to eat,I go to Capt D's or any restaurant that sells Belzoni catfish. Like I said, lazy. However, if you're inviting me over, don't particularly like trout, but any of the sunfish are very good, Largemouths, crappies,bluegills, etc.

Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish proverb

#1339133 - 05/24/09 02:16 PM Re: Catch and Release [Re: gil1]
B.D.
8 Point

Loc: Hendersonville TN

Gil, I don't mind keeping some fish to eat now and then, but if I catch you bowfishing where I fly fish for carp, you will get a beating. \:o

bd

#1339171 - 05/24/09 02:58 PM Re: Catch and Release [Re: B.D.]
gil1
12 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: Brian Dunigan
Gil, I don't mind keeping some fish to eat now and then, but if I catch you bowfishing where I fly fish for carp, you will get a beating. \:o

bd

I may end up beating my own butt for that transgression! I'm still not good with it unless I can find someone to use or eat them. I may hunt your carp honeyholes but would never bloody the water in my carp spots! \:D

Speaking of, I'm getting hitched and honeymooning (bonefishing) in July. I may only get one carp outing in during the big fly carpin' tournament, so you better step up to the plate and have a good showing this year. Some folks will be gunning for you, and Ive got no pressure to even be competitive this year.

Dr. Saxton Pope

#1339198 - 05/24/09 03:28 PM Re: Catch and Release [Re: gil1]
RUGER Administrator
Mouse Killa
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

I throw them back because I hate to clean fish.

Page 1 of 9 12345>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
purrpplee, tnduckhunter, draw2drop, Oh Deer, Deer slayer85
13112 Registered Users
Who's Online
12 registered (tn gunman, ruger7mag, MarlinSlayer, muddy-waders, Cottontop, mossyoakmantn, 1 invisible) and 50 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13112 Members
42 Forums
89295 Topics
1044337 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.772 seconds in which 0.465 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.