Tndeer Logo

Page 3 of 8 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#1338730 - 05/23/09 09:48 PM Re: What says TWRA about this... [Re: captain hook]
4onaside
12 Point

Loc: Jackson,Tn

Originally Posted By: captain hook
4onaside, he is confusing me with you, I have kept hundreds if not thousands of 10" crappie over the last years. Sue me...
Sometimes your and my philosophies don't completely mesh, but from reading your posts I know that you are a fine turkey hunter and I really respect that. If I don't necessarily agree with you on a post, I don't call you names, and I don't expect that either from any mature individual. He's going into the lier, lier pants on fire defense. LOL
Incidentally, there is nothing that I would rather do than catch a crappie on an ultra light with a jig. And I have caught thousands that way. And, I don't keep them, mainly because I don't want to fool with them. But when my son goes with me, ah that's another matter. He keeps them......and fillets them.....and fries them........and I eat them! The best fish around, particularly when you just have to catch them and eat them with no hassle in between.

#1338743 - 05/23/09 10:20 PM Re: What says TWRA about this... [Re: deerlawyer]
4onaside
12 Point

Loc: Jackson,Tn

Originally Posted By: deerlawyer
4, i am sure this eludes you, but to me "quality" in a turkey hunt would include lots of mature birds and lots of good gobbling. in case you didn't know, the two go together. so, listen closely, to manage for that you would protect the jakes and hens, because the jakes become toms. i know this is really complicated but i don't mind explaining it for you.
Thanks for your patience in explaining all of that to me. I know that it is frustrating dealing with people who don't have the intellect that you possess, well at least as seen by you. However, the part that I am really having trouble understanding is a who cannot talk without talking down to someone. I apologized to you on PM which was obviously a serious error in judgement on my part. My first reaction to you and about you was apparently the correct one.

#1338989 - 05/24/09 11:24 AM Re: What says TWRA about this... [Re: 4onaside]
TurkeyBurd Moderator
Woodpile Boys
10 Point

Loc: Chapel Hill

4- I feel your pain. deerlawyer is an amazing person. Expert on all subjects. There is nothing he doesn't know and has no problem talking down to people. Master outdoorsman with no people skills.

#1339033 - 05/24/09 12:08 PM Re: What says TWRA about this... [Re: TurkeyBurd]
stik
TnDeer Old Timer
18 Point

Loc: lenoir city,tn

i hunt a large tract of public land in morgan co. :X several years ago it was nothing to hear 5 or 6 gobblers every morning. now most mornings you hear none. to my knowledge(very few people hunt this place and we all pretty much know each other) there have been a grand total of 7 turkeys killed off this place since i started hunting it(15+ yrs ago). where did all these turkeys go? it wasn't hunters.

nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught

#1339419 - 05/24/09 08:45 PM Re: What says TWRA about this... [Re: stik]
10 Point

Loc: Tennessee

stik,
Last year, 2008 Spring, I hunted turkey in my favorite area. An area I know WELL. I heard ONE gobbler ALL season. I killed ZERO. And I hunted ALL over several counties. It was the worst season I ever had.
This year...same areas....POLAR opposite.
I heard and worked MANY mature birds, and killed THREE!

My buddies had simila luck last year, and killed 3 or 4 each this year.

THe birds were there last season also, they just did not gobble.

SCAPAS.stay calm and pick a spot.

#1339485 - 05/24/09 09:14 PM Re: What says TWRA about this... [Re: deerlawyer]
CopperHead77
12 Point

Loc: Hickman Co.

Originally Posted By: deerlawyer
4, i am sure this eludes you, but to me "quality" in a turkey hunt would include lots of mature birds and lots of good gobbling. in case you didn't know, the two go together. so, listen closely, to manage for that you would protect the jakes and hens, because the jakes become toms. i know this is really complicated but i don't mind explaining it for you.

WOW.......thats..ahhhhh nevermind \:\)

#1339524 - 05/24/09 09:31 PM Re: What says TWRA about this... [Re: stik]
captain hook
10 Point

Loc: Knoxville

Originally Posted By: stik
i hunt a large tract of public land in morgan co. :X several years ago it was nothing to hear 5 or 6 gobblers every morning. now most mornings you hear none. to my knowledge(very few people hunt this place and we all pretty much know each other) there have been a grand total of 7 turkeys killed off this place since i started hunting it(15+ yrs ago). where did all these turkeys go? it wasn't hunters.

Stik, I haunt scott, campbell and claiborne counties on public land that get little if any pressure. I have experienced the same thing, and like I said during this season my issues weren't created from hunting pressure.

Several things came together, poor hatches, droughts, hard late freezes etc etc. And drove the populations into the ditch.

All the while TWRA kept raising limits and kept raising limits, and inevitably a problem may have become a devasting event.

Now in the remote places this season, there were birds, but with the monster hatch from last year and few mature gobblers remaining from previous years it left ample hens for the few gobblers around. Thus little if any gobbling, and tough hunting all around. Of all the LB's I watched die in this part of the state this year, none had spurs smaller then 1.25", and that just doesn't happen very often without a major gap in populations.

I think 2 things have happened, the population took a major down turn, about the same time we upped the limit to ridiculous levels, thus causing things to get worse. In other words a poor management decision based on the timing of uncontrollable natural events. You certainly wouldn't go on a spending spree if you only had $1 in your checking account, but a pocket full of checks...

#1339584 - 05/24/09 10:07 PM Re: What says TWRA about this... [Re: stik]
bsl
10 Point

Loc: knox,tn.

That is what I have been try to tell people but they still think it is the 4 bird limit.The hatch has been down(until last year)the turkey pop. is down because of that.There were a lot of jakes killed this year because of the good hatch and know they are saying we killed to many jakes.We just need several good years of hatches in a row and everyone will shut up about the turkey.

#1339588 - 05/24/09 10:08 PM Re: What says TWRA about this... [Re: bsl]
smstone22
16 Point

Loc: Allardt, TN

Originally Posted By: bsl

That is what I have been try to tell people but they still think it is the 4 bird limit.The hatch has been down(until last year)the turkey pop. is down because of that.There were a lot of jakes killed this year because of the good hatch and know they are saying we killed to many jakes.We just need several good years of hatches in a row and everyone will shut up about the turkey.

BSL, if that is the case then why isnt Wayne County KY showing the same results we are? Are they having good hatches up there just a few miles away while we are having crappy hatches? \:D I just want to reiterate this again, anytime you take over %30 of your standing population of male birds, it is not good for the population, great hatch or not. OR maybe those Wayne County hunters are just superior turkey hunters compared to us \:D

Edited by steven stone (05/24/09 10:18 PM)

#1339590 - 05/24/09 10:09 PM Re: What says TWRA about this... [Re: TurkeyBurd]
bsl
10 Point

Loc: knox,tn.

Originally Posted By: TurkeyBurd
4- I feel your pain. deerlawyer is an amazing person. Expert on all subjects. There is nothing he doesn't know and has no problem talking down to people. Master outdoorsman with no people skills.

yep.He is very rude to people on here.There is no point in trying to explain things to him because he knows it all.I just hate how he tries to talk down to people like you said.

Page 3 of 8 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Bobby G, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck, Grizzly Johnson 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
fghijk604245, top_of_the_foodchain, infantryleadtheway, ftwstn, Wild hog 44
13286 Registered Users
Who's Online
133 registered (adaleb, Nyper, rustyloafer, fredfred, remke, Cottontop, 9 invisible) and 165 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13286 Members
42 Forums
85354 Topics
1031388 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.207 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.