Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#1338735 - 05/23/09 10:08 PM The Truth About Generation
Tubakka
6 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Look,
I was recently carousing over another forum that spoke of how dangerous this generation was and that even TODAY...at just 9000 CFS, it's "so dangerous" to fish. Over a year ago, I was told how unproductive and dangerous more than 1 generator on the Caney is. While I will admit, fishing it under the massive torrential flood it was a couple weeks ago might've been haphazardly productive, it was more trouble than it was worth, but even then it is easily navigated if you have some common sense. I wouldn't do it in a canoe or a drift boat, but a decent sized outboard motor powered craft not overloaded will do fine. What is it going to take to educate people that this river is not a friggin' Steven King novel..."THE CANEY"...it doesn't eat boats, it isn't possessed by the will of a disgruntled fly guide who drowned on a cold winter morn when the generators came on unannounced, and it isn't really THAT dangerous unless you're a complete buffoon, and with a little confidence and practice, it opens up a whole new level of angling. Just today, jacking around, we got a 23" and lost another, it's twin, and had several more relaly nice ones come up. It makes new shoals, no bars, and that darker water can really help your case, as well. Why don't most understand this? I'd be happy to make it clear and simple why it is perfectly fine to navigate and fish.

#1338736 - 05/23/09 10:09 PM Re: The Truth About Generation [Re: Tubakka]
Tubakka
6 Point

OH btw, "we" I mean "biglures"...congrats dude. you got the pic. Post it.
#1338786 - 05/24/09 04:29 AM Re: The Truth About Generation [Re: Tubakka]
rsimms
10 Point

Loc: Chattanooga, TN

I think we mostly agree ... where I pointed out on the "other" Forum that fishing heavy water (Caney, Hiwassee, Clinch or any Tenn. River Tailwater) is best left to "the experienced" angler.

What I don't understand is why you are responding to commments on another Forum, here???
http://www.ScenicCityFishing.com

#1338792 - 05/24/09 05:31 AM Re: The Truth About Generation [Re: rsimms]
Tubakka
6 Point

I don't think it' the forum you're referring to simms. In fact, I'm pretty sure it's not. But it's been said on here too. Maybe not...I thought it was in general.
#1338844 - 05/24/09 07:51 AM Re: The Truth About Generation [Re: Tubakka]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

ok

You wont know,if you dont go!

#1338893 - 05/24/09 09:01 AM Re: The Truth About Generation [Re: Tubakka]
bigluresonly
6 Point

Loc: Cookeville

Originally Posted By: Tubakka
OH btw, "we" I mean "biglures"...congrats dude. you got the pic. Post it.

#1338919 - 05/24/09 09:31 AM Re: The Truth About Generation [Re: Tubakka]
B.D.
8 Point

Loc: Hendersonville TN

Tubs, maybe I have some perspective on this that you do not have. I have personally been on the Caney on 2 gens and watched a couple in a jon boat drift sideways into a tree while hubby was farting around with the motor. They swamped and were in the water in less than two seconds. If I had not been nearby they would have had a hard time getting out. On another occasion I helped some folks in a similar situation under generation when they turned over a canoe (though at least those folks had life jackets on).

Don't underestimate how little experience some people have with high, fast water. The Caney is flatwater, and it is extremely tame compared to some rivers I've been on, but it can still mess a person up in a hurry.

As a general rule of thumb, I firmly believe that if someone has to ask whether a tailwater is safe under heavy generation, they don't have enough experience to be out there.

You do what you want, but I'm not going to mock people who say a river under generation is dangerous, and I'm not going to go around claiming that the "truth" is it's safe. Someone is going to get hurt.

bd

#1338941 - 05/24/09 10:10 AM Re: The Truth About Generation [Re: B.D.]
bob
4 Point

Loc: tn

The ocean is the same way. The out going and incoming tides aren't a big deal at all to most people who live and fish there. Let me highly recommend a trip for you. Head to south Florida, go to Jupiter inlet and head out to sea though the inlet during peak high tide in your little boat. I've done it a bunch so hey it must be safe. Let us know how you do! Donít even bother with PFDís itís 100% safe.

BTW Brown Trout is dumbest, most predictable, easiest fish to pattern, in freshwater. This is why most people fly fish only for them, itís like dumbing down to their levelÖ

So congrats, you can catch stupid fish with zebcos... Seriously, you should move on to the next level, bluegill on snoopy poles. I hear the sponge bob bobbers are the shizzle. Just kidding.

Edited by bob (05/24/09 10:47 AM)

#1338961 - 05/24/09 10:49 AM Re: The Truth About Generation [Re: bob]
gil1
12 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

Although I had a good time spinfishing with Simms last year when the Caney's banks looked more like Reelfoot, I probably won't do it again for a while.

As you know, Tubbs, for me, it's more about the experience than the results (that's what all crappy hunters and fishermen say! \:D )

a. On high water, I'm just nervous. I can't enjoy it as much. I've still got a bunch of experience but whether it's just one generator or more makes no difference to me, I'm just a little on edge when they dump water.

b. I can't enjoy fly fishing that much when they are dumping 2 or more generators. My shoulder hurts tossing streamers all day, and I can't get down to the fish for very long. It's just not very effective. Or I should say, maybe others are good at it, but I'm not.

I know your argument is for me to put down the buggy whip and pick up the hardware. We fly boys don't catch big fish. Well, that's not true, but even if it were, I prefer to fly fish just like you prefer your method. To each his own I say.

All those reasons conspire to make a high water Caney trip not worth the trip at all.

Dr. Saxton Pope

#1338971 - 05/24/09 11:00 AM Re: The Truth About Generation [Re: bob]
4onaside
12 Point

Loc: Jackson,Tn

content Online
Familiarity breeds contempt. And it will also get you killed. If you pay attention to business and err on the side of caution you will probably be OK in most situations. But if you are cavalier about a dangerous situation, just because you've done it before,and didn't get hurt, watch out. And Bob, these boys enjoy catching big trout using the methods that they do, so ease up. LOL
Are you familiar with the term, "whatever floats your cork"?, speaking of which, where can I get a sponge bob bobber?

Page 1 of 4 1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
fghijk604245, top_of_the_foodchain, infantryleadtheway, ftwstn, Wild hog 44
13286 Registered Users
Who's Online
94 registered (TN Whitetail Freak, rjeffers, bucks2beards outdoor, chrmayo, bassassassin7, backstraps, 16 invisible) and 119 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13286 Members
42 Forums
85302 Topics
1030925 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.229 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.