Tndeer Logo

Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Topic Options
#1344668 - 05/27/09 11:05 PM Re: What says TWRA about this... [Re: ]
TurkeyBurd Moderator
Woodpile Boys
10 Point

Loc: Chapel Hill

4 is the limit!!!! Kill 4 or less, or what you're going to eat. We can't change the laws so let's be happy with what we have. $136 is enough to be upset about, let's don't argue with fellow hunters. I think we are all on this site because of the same interest. Let's just agree to disagree. Happy fishing!! Hope for a good hatch.

#1344941 - 05/28/09 07:38 AM Re: What says TWRA about this... [Re: 4onaside]
8 POINTS OR BETTER
10 Point

Loc: Hardin, Co.

Originally Posted By: 4onaside
 Originally Posted By: Huntaholic
For those that say we as hunters have little to no impact, why dont you put up or shut up. ;\) Invite me, captain hook, and a couple more close friends I know to come hunt your place next spring. If we cant impact your population then I will give you my places to hunt for the next 3 years.

My turkeys are for me. I have a decent population for me! Impact your own turkeys, or not. I can handle my own thank you.

LOL Huntaholic before the season started, I tryied to get him to let me hunt is place this season and I would trade out the next season. That way I could save the turkeys on my place this year . But he say something about not being able to afford shells next year.

#1344959 - 05/28/09 07:48 AM Re: What says TWRA about this... [Re: RS]
Tennessee Todd
Communicates like Rad
16 Point

Loc: TuTu City, Tn

Originally Posted By: RS
I took 3 trips to Fentress County this year and brought back two longbeards. I should have killed one on my third trip, but he snuck in on me. Normally all four birds come from Fentress, but I found a few places closer to home this year where the other two came from.

I actually hunt very close to Steven's place. From my experience, there's as many or more birds there now as there have been in several years. All I can say is that I'm seeing birds, sorry if others in the area aren't.

I told you that golden nugget enhancer would work didn't I?

#1344960 - 05/28/09 07:48 AM Re: What says TWRA about this... [Re: ]
RS
8 Point

Loc: Smithville, TN

Originally Posted By: captain hook
If 4 birds is too many for each and every hunter to harvest then the limit should not be set so high.

That's a pretty dumb statement captain. If your logic of "every hunter harvesting the limit" was used, TWRA would likely not even allow turkey hunting. With a total population of around 300,000 birds (hens and gobblers), the limit couldn't even be set at 1 bird. I would veture to say that only around 25% of turkey hunters are successful. I do know that approximately 70% of those that are successful only kill one bird. TWRA knows this and does their best to set the limits accordingly.

The limit in Unit L is 3 antlerless deer per day. Do you honestly think TWRA set that limit thinking that every hunter would possibly kill 3 per day. It's not going to happen, just like very few turkey hunters are going to kill multiple birds each year.

Edited by RS (05/28/09 07:50 AM)

#1345029 - 05/28/09 08:18 AM Re: What says TWRA about this... [Re: 8 POINTS OR BETTER]
4onaside
12 Point

Loc: Jackson,Tn

Originally Posted By: 8 POINTS OR BETTER
For those that say we as hunters have little to no impact, why dont you put up or shut up. ;\) Invite me, captain hook, and a couple more close friends I know to come hunt your place next spring. If we cant impact your population then I will give you my places to hunt for the next 3 years.

My turkeys are for me. I have a decent population for me! Impact your own turkeys, or not. I can handle my own thank you.

LOL Huntaholic before the season started, I tryied to get him to let me hunt is place this season and I would trade out the next season. That way I could save the turkeys on my place this year . But he say something about not being able to afford shells next year.
Hey 8, how'd you do this year? Did you kill your turkeys or did you kill somebody else's and save yours for next year? LOL

No one's eyes go bad looking on the bright side of life.

#1345031 - 05/28/09 08:19 AM Re: What says TWRA about this... [Re: ]
RS
8 Point

BTW where did you get the 300,000 bird number from? I have never heard a population estimate for our flock.

ALso, we have no way of knowing how many turkey hunters are successful, because we have no idea how many turkey hunters there are in this state. So making assumptions on success statewide are mythical given the lack of knowledge.

The estimate comes from TWRA.

We may not know the exact number of turkey hunters in the state, but we do know for a fact that around 70% of the hunters only kill one bird. I don't know how many kill 3 or 4, but I would expect it be a very small percentage.

#1345451 - 05/28/09 11:40 AM Re: What says TWRA about this... [Re: 4onaside]
8 POINTS OR BETTER
10 Point

Loc: Hardin, Co.

Originally Posted By: 8 POINTS OR BETTER

Hey 8, how'd you do this year? Did you kill your turkeys or did you kill somebody else's and save yours for next year? LOL

We killed 11 off our farm this year. We had been holding back the last couple of years, because of the bad hatches.

#1345504 - 05/28/09 12:05 PM Re: What says TWRA about this... [Re: 8 POINTS OR BETTER]
4onaside
12 Point

Loc: Jackson,Tn

Sounds like a bunch of turkeys. What part of the county are you in? How many people killed 11? And I ain't settin you up for the 4's too many sermon! I'm of the age where the battle cry is, "Wait, wait for what!". LOL

No one's eyes go bad looking on the bright side of life.

#1345521 - 05/28/09 12:09 PM Re: What says TWRA about this... [Re: ]
RS
8 Point

Originally Posted By: RS

We may not know the exact number of turkey hunters in the state, but we do know for a fact that around 70% of the hunters only kill one bird.

DO you realize how amazingly contradictory this statement is, and utterly false? If you don't know how many there are, there is no way you can know what percentage are successful.

You're right. What I meant to say was about 70% of the successful hunters only kill one bird. The remaining 30% of successful hunters kill more than one. TWRA may not know how many turkey hunters there are, but they do know how many were successful at taking birds.

Edited by RS (05/28/09 12:12 PM)

#1345684 - 05/28/09 01:32 PM Re: What says TWRA about this... [Re: ]
RS
8 Point

I've not seen any percentages from this year yet. I'm just hoping that all these jakes that everybody saw this past season will be gobbling good next year and maybe things will settle out over the next few seasons. I'm sure there were fewer 2-year olds this past season because of the late freeze and then drought conditions in 2007. All 4 of my birds this year appeared to be 3+ years old. Several of my buddies killed older birds too.
Page 4 of 5 <12345>

Moderator:  RUGER, Bobby G, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, Grizzly Johnson, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
5 registered (Big H Dawg fan, gobblinfool, Bar7mag, Steverino, 1 invisible) and 67 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180121 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.005 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.