Page 3 of 8 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#1335159 - 05/20/09 10:31 PM Re: anti jake folks [Re: captain hook]
bsl
10 Point

Loc: knox,tn.

Originally Posted By: captain hook
 Originally Posted By: turkeyhunter
Lets say you own 100 acres of land. On that land there are 5 jakes and 2 long beards running around. Also 7 hens to complete the flock. The limit is 2 bearded birds per season. Will it make a difference if you shot two jakes instead of the long beards? Lets say you do shoot two jakes. And all others survive. So now we will have 5 long beards, plus 4 or 5 new jakes next season right. I dont think it makes a difference, especially with a low limit. So I guess I would lean more toward low limits verses one jake rule.

Sure it makes a difference, if you take 2 jakes that leaves 3, of which 33%-50% will not survive until the next year. So if you hadn't shot the jakes then more would survive and thus in the years to follow more birds would mature.

Why does everyone always assume the ones hunters kill are the ones that would make it through the year?Maybe the ones hunters kill are the ones that would have died anyway.how do we know?So it could be that it doesn't make a difference.I know what you will say.Thet are dead so they won't make it for sure now but logic says that 50% of the jakes hunters kill wouldn't live anyway if only 50% of them survive without being killed by hunters.

Edited by bsl (05/20/09 10:36 PM)

#1335170 - 05/20/09 11:17 PM Re: anti jake folks [Re: bsl]
4onaside
12 Point

Loc: Jackson,Tn

Originally Posted By: bsl
 Originally Posted By: RNDeLoach
Where I hunt I have never heard a jake gobble or even seen a jake strut because where I hunt we do not kill jakes and we have plenty of longbeards. If you let a big group of jakes just mill around they will be a big group of two year old birds the next year. Two years ago there were a group of 8 jakes. I saw them quite often. They stayed together and the next year they turned into 8 longbeards. I have never killed a jake nor will I ever kill a jake. Many people kill jakes just to add to the numbers that they have killed. A jake is like a spike to me. They dont take the best pictures and what can you actually do with a 3-6" beard. People should just let yearling birds turn into adults.

They eat just as good as a big gobbler.I like the lb too but not gonna tell people to let them go.
Ah, but you have a live and let live mind-set, something that many of these people do not have. They don't shoot jakes, which is fine. But they cannot be content with that. They have to tell you that you shouldn't. In the world of politics they would be known as belt-way liberals aka "I know what's best for you".lol

#1335211 - 05/21/09 05:37 AM Re: anti jake folks [Re: bsl]
captain hook
10 Point

Loc: Knoxville

Originally Posted By: bsl
 Originally Posted By: turkeyhunter
Lets say you own 100 acres of land. On that land there are 5 jakes and 2 long beards running around. Also 7 hens to complete the flock. The limit is 2 bearded birds per season. Will it make a difference if you shot two jakes instead of the long beards? Lets say you do shoot two jakes. And all others survive. So now we will have 5 long beards, plus 4 or 5 new jakes next season right. I dont think it makes a difference, especially with a low limit. So I guess I would lean more toward low limits verses one jake rule.

Sure it makes a difference, if you take 2 jakes that leaves 3, of which 33%-50% will not survive until the next year. So if you hadn't shot the jakes then more would survive and thus in the years to follow more birds would mature.

Why does everyone always assume the ones hunters kill are the ones that would make it through the year?Maybe the ones hunters kill are the ones that would have died anyway.how do we know?So it could be that it doesn't make a difference.I know what you will say.Thet are dead so they won't make it for sure now but logic says that 50% of the jakes hunters kill wouldn't live anyway if only 50% of them survive without being killed by hunters.
I see what you are saying, but 50% is 50%. If some get killed during hunting season then that then shifts the crosshairs to the ones left alive post season to die from natural mortality.

Edited by captain hook (05/21/09 05:37 AM)

#1335333 - 05/21/09 07:19 AM Re: anti jake folks [Re: captain hook]
VolDoug
TnDeer Old Timer
10 Point

Loc: Plateau

I would think that if they have made it to the hunting season, their percentage of surviving would be way higher, just as a longbeards would be.

Those low mortality rates would almost have to apply to their lives from hatch-6 months or so. But, I could be wrong.

#1335359 - 05/21/09 07:40 AM Re: anti jake folks [Re: VolDoug]
captain hook
10 Point

I tend to agree with you Doug, but the so called experts on turkeys say that they are still very vulnerable through their first summer.

It may be due to that they are still alone in essence without the watchful eyes of mature birds to help alert them of danger. Who knows.

#1335363 - 05/21/09 07:44 AM Re: anti jake folks [Re: captain hook]
VolDoug
TnDeer Old Timer
10 Point

Loc: Plateau

It may be due to that they are still alone in essence without the watchful eyes of mature birds to help alert them of danger. Who knows.

I can see that. The old "there is security in numbers" deal.

#1335370 - 05/21/09 07:51 AM Re: anti jake folks [Re: VolDoug]
captain hook
10 Point

So does security in numbers disappear when we as hunters whack into jake groups and scatter them?

#1335394 - 05/21/09 08:07 AM Re: anti jake folks [Re: VolDoug]
RNDeLoach
Spike

Loc: Asheville, NC

I really dont see how you can accidentally kill a jake. My father always taught me that you are supposed to see a visible beard before you shoot. The spring turkey guide also says you must see a visible beard before you shoot. If you follow that then you wont accidentally kill a jake. If it is too thick to see a beard then you probably dont need to be taking the shot. As far as what I do with the meat I generally clean it and give it to the landowners as a good gesture. They greatly appreciate that. Now I see no problem if you want to get a jake for a first time hunter. There is nothing wrong with that but hunting is not all about the numbers and how many you put on the table. I love watching jakes just feed on bugs and peck around with the hens. This is just my .02. Different strokes for different folks.

#1335471 - 05/21/09 08:32 AM Re: anti jake folks [Re: turkeyhunter]
spitndrum
Team TLBB Woodpile Boys
Non-Typical

Loc: Cumberland Plateau

I shot at ones head this season and when it flew off it was a Jake judging by its fan...flying off....I was tickled I missed!!

#1335493 - 05/21/09 08:40 AM Re: anti jake folks [Re: spitndrum]
RNDeLoach
Spike

Loc: Asheville, NC

If there is such a thing as a good miss I guess that would be one.

Page 3 of 8 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Bobby G, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck, Grizzly Johnson 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Moore Land, jackal, baydog, blueticks, always_running92
13301 Registered Users
Who's Online
126 registered (REN, Savage Shooter, J.C.W., 1908_Cubbies, ChippewaPartners, striperhunter90, 17 invisible) and 183 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13301 Members
42 Forums
85711 Topics
1035787 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.233 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.