Page 2 of 8 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#1334731 - 05/20/09 04:37 PM Re: anti jake folks [Re: RNDeLoach]
VolDoug
TnDeer Old Timer
10 Point

Loc: Plateau

Originally Posted By: RNDeLoach
I have never killed a jake nor will I ever kill a jake.

Word for word quote of a fella on another website I frequent at the beginning of this season. Guess what happened \:D ? Two birds came in, and in the heat of the moment, he lost track of which was which. Never say never!

BTW, what do you do with an 8" beard ?

#1334741 - 05/20/09 04:59 PM Re: anti jake folks [Re: VolDoug]
RNT
Woodpile Boys
8 Point

Loc: Spring Hill, TN

I say if bustin a jake makes you happy, then let it rip. Sometimes it ain't all about killin a bird with huge spurs/beard.

#1334761 - 05/20/09 05:30 PM Re: anti jake folks [Re: turkeyhunter]
captain hook
10 Point

Loc: Knoxville

Originally Posted By: turkeyhunter
Lets say you own 100 acres of land. On that land there are 5 jakes and 2 long beards running around. Also 7 hens to complete the flock. The limit is 2 bearded birds per season. Will it make a difference if you shot two jakes instead of the long beards? Lets say you do shoot two jakes. And all others survive. So now we will have 5 long beards, plus 4 or 5 new jakes next season right. I dont think it makes a difference, especially with a low limit. So I guess I would lean more toward low limits verses one jake rule.

Sure it makes a difference, if you take 2 jakes that leaves 3, of which 33%-50% will not survive until the next year. So if you hadn't shot the jakes then more would survive and thus in the years to follow more birds would mature.

#1334765 - 05/20/09 05:33 PM Re: anti jake folks [Re: RNDeLoach]
captain hook
10 Point

Where I hunt I have never heard a jake gobble or even seen a jake strut because where I hunt we do not kill jakes and we have plenty of longbeards. If you let a big group of jakes just mill around they will be a big group of two year old birds the next year. Two years ago there were a group of 8 jakes. I saw them quite often. They stayed together and the next year they turned into 8 longbeards. I have never killed a jake nor will I ever kill a jake. Many people kill jakes just to add to the numbers that they have killed. A jake is like a spike to me. They dont take the best pictures and what can you actually do with a 3-6" beard. People should just let yearling birds turn into adults.

I agree with you, but you must not have had a lot of jake company over the years or have been in some parallel universe.

Jakes gobble all the time, and strut, fight, and ground hunch like crazy every where I have ever hunted. Places with dense longbeard populations, and places with very few. They are male birds and act as male birds do in the spring. Sure some act sneaky, but many will dupe the most seasoned turkey hunter.

Never say never...

#1334968 - 05/20/09 08:36 PM Re: anti jake folks [Re: RNDeLoach]
4onaside
12 Point

Loc: Jackson,Tn

Where I hunt I have never heard a jake gobble or even seen a jake strut because where I hunt we do not kill jakes and we have plenty of longbeards. If you let a big group of jakes just mill around they will be a big group of two year old birds the next year. Two years ago there were a group of 8 jakes. I saw them quite often. They stayed together and the next year they turned into 8 longbeards. I have never killed a jake nor will I ever kill a jake. Many people kill jakes just to add to the numbers that they have killed. A jake is like a spike to me. They dont take the best pictures and what can you actually do with a 3-6" beard. People should just let yearling birds turn into adults.
What do you with the meat from the turkeys that you kill, throw it away? Maybe you do, with the statement "what can you actually do with a 3-6" beard". Jakes certainly eat better than 3 year old birds. That's why the chicken industry sells pullets rather than roosters.

#1335012 - 05/20/09 09:02 PM Re: anti jake folks [Re: 4onaside]
buckhorn40
Non-Typical

Loc: Crossville

Well this was my first turkey season and I killed a 2 1/2 year old long beard. (Please no applause)
[img][/img]

I also had an easy shot at a jake a few weeks later and decided to pass. I share a lease with family members and our turkey population is very much Unit B ish. Having said that, if I had been on public land and competing with a gaggle of other hunters, the outcome would have been different.

#1335038 - 05/20/09 09:20 PM Re: anti jake folks [Re: buckhorn40]
captain hook
10 Point

Congrats, but I have to ask how did you know he was 2.5 and not 2 or 3? \:\)

#1335064 - 05/20/09 09:25 PM Re: anti jake folks [Re: captain hook]
4onaside
12 Point

Originally Posted By: captain hook
Several studies have shown that b/w 33%50% of jakes die naturally in their first year. If you add hunter kills to that % it can have a major impact.

Bottom line, if you like killing mature gobblers (longbeards), then shooting any jakes is not the best idea. But it happens, and within reason isn't the end of the world.
Bottom line for me is that I enjoy turkey hunting, and I could care less which age class a bird falls into, because I know that sooner or later during most seasons one or more of each class is likely to show up. And if not, so what.

#1335126 - 05/20/09 09:57 PM Re: anti jake folks [Re: captain hook]
4onaside
12 Point

Originally Posted By: captain hook
Congrats, but I have to ask how did you know he was 2.5 and not 2 or 3? \:\)
Hook, that's an easy trap to fall into when you are constantly using the half years describing whitetail ages. I was telling a buddy about my turkey season today and started the same "one half" descriptions but then caught and corrected myself.

#1335148 - 05/20/09 10:20 PM Re: anti jake folks [Re: RNDeLoach]
bsl
10 Point

Loc: knox,tn.

They eat just as good as a big gobbler.I like the lb too but not gonna tell people to let them go.

Page 2 of 8 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Bobby G, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck, Grizzly Johnson 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
fghijk604245, top_of_the_foodchain, infantryleadtheway, ftwstn, Wild hog 44
13286 Registered Users
Who's Online
5 registered (Paul Burns, deerfever, 1bow4me, 2 invisible) and 96 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13286 Members
42 Forums
85284 Topics
1030791 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.821 seconds in which 0.466 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.