Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 6 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#1334498 - 05/20/09 12:06 PM anti jake folks
turkeyhunter
6 Point

Loc: collinwood tn

I have heard many good discussions about what to do for low number of turkeys. One point was to out law killing jakes. I dont like this idea. There are many reasons behind why I think like this. One of the main reasons for this , is the fact that I killed a jake on accident this season. This bird was gobbling its head off. It did not sound jakey by no means. It was blowing my hat off. When he finally came in all I could see was a big red head. He kept peeking over a small bank looking at me, finally he peeked too much and I blasted him. I was excited and ran to get my foot on him only to discover he was a jake. I was disappointed to say the least. My point is its just about impossible to identify a jake in alot of hunting situations. Plus if you research the management of turkeys, it does not matter which male you shoot. It does not help your numbers.

Edited by turkeyhunter (05/20/09 12:35 PM)

#1334552 - 05/20/09 12:51 PM Re: anti jake folks [Re: turkeyhunter]
4onaside
12 Point

Loc: Jackson,Tn

Well, I've never made a "mistake" on one, primarily because I'm a field,blind hunter, and it would take a visually impaired person to do so. That said, I'd as soon kill a jake as a longbeard, well maybe that's not totally true, but I do consider them a worthy trophy. I just kill whichever gobbler that affords itself, regardless of age, which in the case of this season, were more longbeards than jakes. And I particularly like your statement about "a male is a male" from a management standpoint. I don't recall ever seeing anything from a professional that indicated any biological reason not to shoot a jake.

No one's eyes go bad looking on the bright side of life.

#1334578 - 05/20/09 01:15 PM Re: anti jake folks [Re: ]
turkeyhunter
6 Point

Loc: collinwood tn

Lets say you own 100 acres of land. On that land there are 5 jakes and 2 long beards running around. Also 7 hens to complete the flock. The limit is 2 bearded birds per season. Will it make a difference if you shot two jakes instead of the long beards? Lets say you do shoot two jakes. And all others survive. So now we will have 5 long beards, plus 4 or 5 new jakes next season right. I dont think it makes a difference, especially with a low limit. So I guess I would lean more toward low limits verses one jake rule.

#1334584 - 05/20/09 01:19 PM Re: anti jake folks [Re: turkeyhunter]
Winchester
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

1 jake would be fine with me as well, and I agree it lets those who would be happy with a Jake take one at will, as well as takes care of a mistake.
#1334585 - 05/20/09 01:19 PM Re: anti jake folks [Re: ]
4onaside
12 Point

I just read on another thread where 12 or 13 hundred hens were killed during the fall season! Wonder what the average size clutch is, maybe 10 eggs? And people are worried about shooting jakes??

#1334586 - 05/20/09 01:20 PM Re: anti jake folks [Re: ]
VolDoug
TnDeer Old Timer
10 Point

Loc: Plateau

Good, level-headed posts fellas.

I would much rather take a jake that knew how to play the game than a hush-mouthed 2 yr old that tried to slip in on me. It's all about the excitement of the hunt for me. And if he's gobbling his head off and can play like a big boy, then he can sure die like one too.

I have passed a TON of jakes over the years, but then I've had years where I have taken one and was thrilled to death. This year, I killed my first in several years. It was opening day, and I doubled with my dad. I had never done either, so it was special.

When I first saw them and realized they were jakes, I asked him if we were gonna kill jakes. "I am", was his response :D. He started to have a coughing spell as they were approaching, and had gotten on the ground to try to stifle it. I told him to choke it down and get ready because I wasn't taking a jake if we couldn't double. It was the only bird he killed all year, and he was tickled to death.

#1334593 - 05/20/09 01:28 PM Re: anti jake folks [Re: VolDoug]
4onaside
12 Point

Originally Posted By: VolDoug
Good, level-headed posts fellas.

I would much rather take a jake that knew how to play the game than a hush-mouthed 2 yr old that tried to slip in on me. It's all about the excitement of the hunt for me. And if he's gobbling his head off and can play like a big boy, then he can sure die like one too.

I have passed a TON of jakes over the years, but then I've had years where I have taken one and was thrilled to death. This year, I killed my first in several years. It was opening day, and I doubled with my dad. I had never done either, so it was special.

When I first saw them and realized they were jakes, I asked him if we were gonna kill jakes. "I am", was his response :D. He started to have a coughing spell as they were approaching, and had gotten on the ground to try to stifle it. I told him to choke it down and get ready because I wasn't taking a jake if we couldn't double. It was the only bird he killed all year, and he was tickled to death.

Your dad understood why you were out there. Wisdom that comes with age. No hesitation on his answer to your question, as in "why wouldn't we, isn't the object of a turkey hunt to kill a turkey?" No "its beneath our dignity" stuff. lol

#1334728 - 05/20/09 04:34 PM Re: anti jake folks [Re: 4onaside]
RNDeLoach
Spike

Loc: Asheville, NC

Where I hunt I have never heard a jake gobble or even seen a jake strut because where I hunt we do not kill jakes and we have plenty of longbeards. If you let a big group of jakes just mill around they will be a big group of two year old birds the next year. Two years ago there were a group of 8 jakes. I saw them quite often. They stayed together and the next year they turned into 8 longbeards. I have never killed a jake nor will I ever kill a jake. Many people kill jakes just to add to the numbers that they have killed. A jake is like a spike to me. They dont take the best pictures and what can you actually do with a 3-6" beard. People should just let yearling birds turn into adults.

#1334731 - 05/20/09 04:37 PM Re: anti jake folks [Re: RNDeLoach]
VolDoug
TnDeer Old Timer
10 Point

Loc: Plateau

Originally Posted By: RNDeLoach
I have never killed a jake nor will I ever kill a jake.

Word for word quote of a fella on another website I frequent at the beginning of this season. Guess what happened \:D ? Two birds came in, and in the heat of the moment, he lost track of which was which. Never say never!

BTW, what do you do with an 8" beard ?

#1334741 - 05/20/09 04:59 PM Re: anti jake folks [Re: VolDoug]
RNT
Woodpile Boys
8 Point

Loc: Spring Hill, TN

I say if bustin a jake makes you happy, then let it rip. Sometimes it ain't all about killin a bird with huge spurs/beard.

Page 1 of 6 12345>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Bobby G, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, Grizzly Johnson 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Kyle Coulahan, Mathews_Killer, jrbookingtn, pb10point, TEXAS
13535 Registered Users
Who's Online
14 registered (booche', Paul Burns, VolunteerzGuy, beachguy, Eric Kilby, NoNtYpiCaL1, 3 invisible) and 64 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13535 Members
42 Forums
99161 Topics
1166125 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.065 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.