Tndeer Logo

Page all of 6 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#1334498 - 05/20/09 12:06 PM anti jake folks
turkeyhunter
6 Point

Loc: collinwood tn

I have heard many good discussions about what to do for low number of turkeys. One point was to out law killing jakes. I dont like this idea. There are many reasons behind why I think like this. One of the main reasons for this , is the fact that I killed a jake on accident this season. This bird was gobbling its head off. It did not sound jakey by no means. It was blowing my hat off. When he finally came in all I could see was a big red head. He kept peeking over a small bank looking at me, finally he peeked too much and I blasted him. I was excited and ran to get my foot on him only to discover he was a jake. I was disappointed to say the least. My point is its just about impossible to identify a jake in alot of hunting situations. Plus if you research the management of turkeys, it does not matter which male you shoot. It does not help your numbers.

Edited by turkeyhunter (05/20/09 12:35 PM)

#1334552 - 05/20/09 12:51 PM Re: anti jake folks [Re: turkeyhunter]
4onaside
12 Point

Loc: Jackson,Tn

Well, I've never made a "mistake" on one, primarily because I'm a field,blind hunter, and it would take a visually impaired person to do so. That said, I'd as soon kill a jake as a longbeard, well maybe that's not totally true, but I do consider them a worthy trophy. I just kill whichever gobbler that affords itself, regardless of age, which in the case of this season, were more longbeards than jakes. And I particularly like your statement about "a male is a male" from a management standpoint. I don't recall ever seeing anything from a professional that indicated any biological reason not to shoot a jake.

No one's eyes go bad looking on the bright side of life.

#1334578 - 05/20/09 01:15 PM Re: anti jake folks [Re: ]
turkeyhunter
6 Point

Lets say you own 100 acres of land. On that land there are 5 jakes and 2 long beards running around. Also 7 hens to complete the flock. The limit is 2 bearded birds per season. Will it make a difference if you shot two jakes instead of the long beards? Lets say you do shoot two jakes. And all others survive. So now we will have 5 long beards, plus 4 or 5 new jakes next season right. I dont think it makes a difference, especially with a low limit. So I guess I would lean more toward low limits verses one jake rule.

#1334584 - 05/20/09 01:19 PM Re: anti jake folks [Re: turkeyhunter]
Winchester
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

1 jake would be fine with me as well, and I agree it lets those who would be happy with a Jake take one at will, as well as takes care of a mistake.
#1334585 - 05/20/09 01:19 PM Re: anti jake folks [Re: ]
4onaside
12 Point

I just read on another thread where 12 or 13 hundred hens were killed during the fall season! Wonder what the average size clutch is, maybe 10 eggs? And people are worried about shooting jakes??

#1334586 - 05/20/09 01:20 PM Re: anti jake folks [Re: ]
VolDoug
TnDeer Old Timer
10 Point

Loc: Plateau

Good, level-headed posts fellas.

I would much rather take a jake that knew how to play the game than a hush-mouthed 2 yr old that tried to slip in on me. It's all about the excitement of the hunt for me. And if he's gobbling his head off and can play like a big boy, then he can sure die like one too.

I have passed a TON of jakes over the years, but then I've had years where I have taken one and was thrilled to death. This year, I killed my first in several years. It was opening day, and I doubled with my dad. I had never done either, so it was special.

When I first saw them and realized they were jakes, I asked him if we were gonna kill jakes. "I am", was his response :D. He started to have a coughing spell as they were approaching, and had gotten on the ground to try to stifle it. I told him to choke it down and get ready because I wasn't taking a jake if we couldn't double. It was the only bird he killed all year, and he was tickled to death.

#1334593 - 05/20/09 01:28 PM Re: anti jake folks [Re: VolDoug]
4onaside
12 Point

Originally Posted By: VolDoug
Good, level-headed posts fellas.

I would much rather take a jake that knew how to play the game than a hush-mouthed 2 yr old that tried to slip in on me. It's all about the excitement of the hunt for me. And if he's gobbling his head off and can play like a big boy, then he can sure die like one too.

I have passed a TON of jakes over the years, but then I've had years where I have taken one and was thrilled to death. This year, I killed my first in several years. It was opening day, and I doubled with my dad. I had never done either, so it was special.

When I first saw them and realized they were jakes, I asked him if we were gonna kill jakes. "I am", was his response :D. He started to have a coughing spell as they were approaching, and had gotten on the ground to try to stifle it. I told him to choke it down and get ready because I wasn't taking a jake if we couldn't double. It was the only bird he killed all year, and he was tickled to death.

Your dad understood why you were out there. Wisdom that comes with age. No hesitation on his answer to your question, as in "why wouldn't we, isn't the object of a turkey hunt to kill a turkey?" No "its beneath our dignity" stuff. lol

#1334728 - 05/20/09 04:34 PM Re: anti jake folks [Re: 4onaside]
RNDeLoach
Spike

Loc: Asheville, NC

Where I hunt I have never heard a jake gobble or even seen a jake strut because where I hunt we do not kill jakes and we have plenty of longbeards. If you let a big group of jakes just mill around they will be a big group of two year old birds the next year. Two years ago there were a group of 8 jakes. I saw them quite often. They stayed together and the next year they turned into 8 longbeards. I have never killed a jake nor will I ever kill a jake. Many people kill jakes just to add to the numbers that they have killed. A jake is like a spike to me. They dont take the best pictures and what can you actually do with a 3-6" beard. People should just let yearling birds turn into adults.

#1334731 - 05/20/09 04:37 PM Re: anti jake folks [Re: RNDeLoach]
VolDoug
TnDeer Old Timer
10 Point

Originally Posted By: RNDeLoach
I have never killed a jake nor will I ever kill a jake.

Word for word quote of a fella on another website I frequent at the beginning of this season. Guess what happened \:D ? Two birds came in, and in the heat of the moment, he lost track of which was which. Never say never!

BTW, what do you do with an 8" beard ?

#1334741 - 05/20/09 04:59 PM Re: anti jake folks [Re: VolDoug]
RNT
Woodpile Boys
8 Point

Loc: Spring Hill, TN

I say if bustin a jake makes you happy, then let it rip. Sometimes it ain't all about killin a bird with huge spurs/beard.

#1334968 - 05/20/09 08:36 PM Re: anti jake folks [Re: RNDeLoach]
4onaside
12 Point

Where I hunt I have never heard a jake gobble or even seen a jake strut because where I hunt we do not kill jakes and we have plenty of longbeards. If you let a big group of jakes just mill around they will be a big group of two year old birds the next year. Two years ago there were a group of 8 jakes. I saw them quite often. They stayed together and the next year they turned into 8 longbeards. I have never killed a jake nor will I ever kill a jake. Many people kill jakes just to add to the numbers that they have killed. A jake is like a spike to me. They dont take the best pictures and what can you actually do with a 3-6" beard. People should just let yearling birds turn into adults.
What do you with the meat from the turkeys that you kill, throw it away? Maybe you do, with the statement "what can you actually do with a 3-6" beard". Jakes certainly eat better than 3 year old birds. That's why the chicken industry sells pullets rather than roosters.

#1335012 - 05/20/09 09:02 PM Re: anti jake folks [Re: 4onaside]
buckhorn40
Non-Typical

Loc: Crossville

Well this was my first turkey season and I killed a 2 1/2 year old long beard. (Please no applause)
[img][/img]

I also had an easy shot at a jake a few weeks later and decided to pass. I share a lease with family members and our turkey population is very much Unit B ish. Having said that, if I had been on public land and competing with a gaggle of other hunters, the outcome would have been different.

#1335064 - 05/20/09 09:25 PM Re: anti jake folks [Re: ]
4onaside
12 Point

Originally Posted By: captain hook
Several studies have shown that b/w 33%50% of jakes die naturally in their first year. If you add hunter kills to that % it can have a major impact.

Bottom line, if you like killing mature gobblers (longbeards), then shooting any jakes is not the best idea. But it happens, and within reason isn't the end of the world.
Bottom line for me is that I enjoy turkey hunting, and I could care less which age class a bird falls into, because I know that sooner or later during most seasons one or more of each class is likely to show up. And if not, so what.

#1335126 - 05/20/09 09:57 PM Re: anti jake folks [Re: ]
4onaside
12 Point

Congrats, but I have to ask how did you know he was 2.5 and not 2 or 3? \:\)
Hook, that's an easy trap to fall into when you are constantly using the half years describing whitetail ages. I was telling a buddy about my turkey season today and started the same "one half" descriptions but then caught and corrected myself.

#1335170 - 05/20/09 11:17 PM Re: anti jake folks [Re: ]
4onaside
12 Point

Originally Posted By: bsl

They eat just as good as a big gobbler.I like the lb too but not gonna tell people to let them go.
Ah, but you have a live and let live mind-set, something that many of these people do not have. They don't shoot jakes, which is fine. But they cannot be content with that. They have to tell you that you shouldn't. In the world of politics they would be known as belt-way liberals aka "I know what's best for you".lol

#1335333 - 05/21/09 07:19 AM Re: anti jake folks [Re: ]
VolDoug
TnDeer Old Timer
10 Point

I would think that if they have made it to the hunting season, their percentage of surviving would be way higher, just as a longbeards would be.

Those low mortality rates would almost have to apply to their lives from hatch-6 months or so. But, I could be wrong.

#1335363 - 05/21/09 07:44 AM Re: anti jake folks [Re: ]
VolDoug
TnDeer Old Timer
10 Point

It may be due to that they are still alone in essence without the watchful eyes of mature birds to help alert them of danger. Who knows.

I can see that. The old "there is security in numbers" deal.

#1335394 - 05/21/09 08:07 AM Re: anti jake folks [Re: VolDoug]
RNDeLoach
Spike

I really dont see how you can accidentally kill a jake. My father always taught me that you are supposed to see a visible beard before you shoot. The spring turkey guide also says you must see a visible beard before you shoot. If you follow that then you wont accidentally kill a jake. If it is too thick to see a beard then you probably dont need to be taking the shot. As far as what I do with the meat I generally clean it and give it to the landowners as a good gesture. They greatly appreciate that. Now I see no problem if you want to get a jake for a first time hunter. There is nothing wrong with that but hunting is not all about the numbers and how many you put on the table. I love watching jakes just feed on bugs and peck around with the hens. This is just my .02. Different strokes for different folks.

#1335471 - 05/21/09 08:32 AM Re: anti jake folks [Re: turkeyhunter]
spitndrum
Supreme Hunting Outdoors Pro Staff
Non-Typical

Loc: Cumberland Plateau

I shot at ones head this season and when it flew off it was a Jake judging by its fan...flying off....I was tickled I missed!!

#1335493 - 05/21/09 08:40 AM Re: anti jake folks [Re: spitndrum]
RNDeLoach
Spike

If there is such a thing as a good miss I guess that would be one.

#1335512 - 05/21/09 08:51 AM Re: anti jake folks [Re: RNDeLoach]
RS
8 Point

Loc: Smithville, TN

I really dont see how you can accidentally kill a jake. My father always taught me that you are supposed to see a visible beard before you shoot. The spring turkey guide also says you must see a visible beard before you shoot. If you follow that then you wont accidentally kill a jake. If it is too thick to see a beard then you probably dont need to be taking the shot. As far as what I do with the meat I generally clean it and give it to the landowners as a good gesture. They greatly appreciate that. Now I see no problem if you want to get a jake for a first time hunter. There is nothing wrong with that but hunting is not all about the numbers and how many you put on the table. I love watching jakes just feed on bugs and peck around with the hens. This is just my .02. Different strokes for different folks.

Ditto. Shooting a jake should never be a "mistake".

I always wonder what people are thinking when they post "All I could see was his head when I shot". The regs clearly state that a bird must have a visible beard.

On more than one occasion I have observed mature gobblers (full fans and good spurs) at close range that had no visible beard. This was likely caused by beard rot. I had to let these birds walk on by.

If one of you "head shooters" kills one that doesn't have a beard, what will you do?

#1335516 - 05/21/09 08:56 AM Re: anti jake folks [Re: turkeyhunter]
Baxter83
Good ol' Boys
12 Point

Loc: Winchester, TN

I was 100% sure about the jake I shot this year. I picked him out of four others since he was the biggest one. He was sporting a 3-7/8" beard where the rest of them might have had 2-1/2"-3". \:D
#1335584 - 05/21/09 09:27 AM Re: anti jake folks [Re: ]
VolDoug
TnDeer Old Timer
10 Point

Yep, I've never killed a jake by mistake either. They have all been on purpose \:D !

I agree 100% about seeing the beard. The purpose of that regulation is safety. If you can see a turkey and its beard, that should take out the chance of an "accidental" shooting bu shooting at a color.

So does security in numbers disappear when we as hunters whack into jake groups and scatter them?

You just said they were already alone, so it shouldn't make a difference \:D .

#1335627 - 05/21/09 09:51 AM Re: anti jake folks [Re: VolDoug]
turkeyhunter
6 Point

You guys can pass on a big red head gobbling if you want to. But the accident I had is one that I can live with. Later on in the season this year the very same thing happen to me, two birds gobbling like crazy. However one sounded jakey the other didnt. But when they came in they where both jakes. They got a pass. I dont hunt jakes but i dont want a law to protect them. A total of six jakes got a pass from me this season. You get a bird within 10 yards gobbling, struting, druming, and you let him pass because you cant see a beard? My best bird this year was killed in a hay field over waist high. With in 10 yards doing all the above. Thinking back , I did not see a beard. But im glad I did not give him a pass.

#1335636 - 05/21/09 09:57 AM Re: anti jake folks [Re: turkeyhunter]
RS
8 Point

Originally Posted By: turkeyhunter
You get a bird within 10 yards gobbling, struting, druming, and you let him pass because you cant see a beard?

Yes, twice in the the last few years as a matter of fact. That is only because they didn't have beards.

So you are say that you would have shot these birds had it been you? Would you have checked them in?

#1335669 - 05/21/09 10:20 AM Re: anti jake folks [Re: RS]
turkeyhunter
6 Point

Im just saying, I really dont focus on the beard, im looking for the red head to pop , then I try to focus my sight right on the middle neck. If that happens I will tag the bird in.If I show the game warden a mature gobbler with a full fan that weighs 20lbs. And receive a ticket, I guess I will live with.

#1335708 - 05/21/09 10:42 AM Re: anti jake folks [Re: turkeyhunter]
RUGER Administrator
Bambi Killa
Non-Typical

RS thanks for bringing that up.
First thought that popped into my mind was, if a person killed a jake by accident, how did they figure it was a legal bird to begin with?

#1335724 - 05/21/09 10:53 AM Re: anti jake folks [Re: RNDeLoach]
4onaside
12 Point

I've never killed one "by accident" and its unlikely that I ever will due to the way that I hunt. But for a run and gun woods hunter, I can certainly understand how it could happen. After all, a gobbler looks like a gobbler regardless of its age, tall, dark and with much more red on its head than any hen, particularly in the early a.m. in thick understory at 35 yards. And I've had jakes gobble their heads off as they came in, and some would take a real expert to tell apart from longbeards(the gobble). I'm sure like many, my son and I have passed on several gobblers because we never could see a beard, even though we were certain that they were gobblers. And you do have a problem with us, as we are as far removed from being "first time hunters" as is possible. We, apparently along with thousands of other Tennessee turkey hunters enjoy turkey hunting without having to prove our prowess to anyone. My room is plastered with mature turkey fans and beards(along with some four inchers with tall tail feathers also), although some of the dumbest turkeys that I have encountered have been longbeards, and some of most challenging birds have been jakes. Hopefully someday you will recognize that the quality of the hunt has little to do with beard or spur length. Good Luck

#1335774 - 05/21/09 11:36 AM Re: anti jake folks [Re: 4onaside]
WingNut
Woodpile Boys
8 Point

Loc: Chapel Hill

I don't know about you all but I never have tried to eat the beard or the spurs. I turkey hunt and a jake is considered a legal turkey to kill isn't it. Don't get me wrong I love killing long beards and I am fortunate enough to hunt an area where we can pick and choose. I passed on jakes all year but if I am going out to hunt and want to kill a jake I am. They all eat to darn good. Again its all opinion. Its the same with deer hunting. If you kill small bucks every year dont complain about not being able to kill big bucks. If you kill jakes don't complain about not having long beards to kill. Its called management.

#1335834 - 05/21/09 11:55 AM Re: anti jake folks [Re: WingNut]
turkeyhunter
6 Point

I agree wingnut. My dad wants me to bring him a jake each season. He tells me all the time you have enough beards and spurs on the wall, kill some turkeys to eat.lol When I tell hunting stories about letting the jakes go he gets mad. I told him to go with me and I will let him shootem.

#1335974 - 05/21/09 12:47 PM Re: anti jake folks [Re: ]
turkeyhunter
6 Point

I beg to differ. I guess it has to with tenderness. They do taste the same , but a jake is much more tender. Much easier to cut up also. I cut them in strips the size of my thum.I fry them up, I call it popcorn turkey. Just like I had much rather have a young deer tender loin. A big gobbler is about as good as it gets, but a jake is better to me in the frying pan.

#1335987 - 05/21/09 12:54 PM Re: anti jake folks [Re: turkeyhunter]
turkeyhunter
6 Point

I know an oldtimer that I work with. I say oldtimer he can out run, out hunt, out fish most people I know. He is retireing this year. But anyway, he kills 3 long beards each seasons. Gives them to various people family friends what not. He will kill one jake for he and his wife each year to finish the season. Why, he says it is the better bird to eat .

#1336017 - 05/21/09 01:06 PM Re: anti jake folks [Re: ]
RS
8 Point

One thing is a guarantee with me, and I am as law abiding as they come. If a mature gobbler is standing in front of me with no beard, he is getting killed, period. I will call the GW myself and let him decide what do with me and my bird.

Hate to be blunt, but in this rugged terrain, often times there is not much time to mull over decisions. Usually it is male bird.....boom. I have only been bit once on the jake thing, but I am sure there are more to come. Maybe if I hunted fields with decoys and a blind it wouldn't ever happen....

You contradict yourself there a little bit don't you captain hook? How can you say you're "as law abiding as they come" but yet you would totally disregard the law and shoot if a mature bird didn't have a beard?

Let's change species for a moment. Say you're deer hunting in your rugged terrain during buck only season and a fully mature buck walks up (4.5+ years) that has it's antlers broken off 1.5 inches above it's head. Now you know the regs state that antlers have to be 3 inches. Based on your above comment, am I right in saying you would shoot this buck?

#1336023 - 05/21/09 01:10 PM Re: anti jake folks [Re: ]
WingNut
Woodpile Boys
8 Point

Jakes taste the same as longbeards. There is no difference other then available meat on the bird. Not a valid argument for shooting jakes. If you want to shoot a jake, then shoot a jake, but don't try and make it out like they taste better, it just doesn't hold water IMO.

Not trying to make an argument about which one taste better. I have killed jakes that were bigger then some long beards I can guarantee that. They all eat the same to me. If you want to shoot a jake go for it, kill everyone of them if you want to its not against the law, but dont complain about not being able to kill long beards the next couple of years. The reason people have all these good pics to post is because they probably practice proper management and let the jakes walk. If you want to fill your tag with jakes, great it doesn't make you any less of a hunter then the guy who killed four toms.

#1336037 - 05/21/09 01:21 PM Re: anti jake folks [Re: WingNut]
turkeyhunter
6 Point

Less filling ! lol Once again I agree wingnut.

#1336057 - 05/21/09 01:28 PM Re: anti jake folks [Re: turkeyhunter]
WingNut
Woodpile Boys
8 Point

Thanks turkeyhunter.

#1336692 - 05/21/09 09:06 PM Re: anti jake folks [Re: ]
4onaside
12 Point

My neighbor on the south with 311 acres, told me yesterday that the only birds they killed this season were two bearded hens. I have never understood that, other than I suppose, the telling of the tale. These gals lay eggs and raise broods just like any hens, and they killed a bunch of generations of turkeys with two shots. IMO makes the jake/no jake discussion rather meaningless.

#1336706 - 05/21/09 09:11 PM Re: anti jake folks [Re: ]
buckhorn40
Non-Typical

Loc: Crossville

I didn't just what a seasoned turkey hunter told me.

#1336717 - 05/21/09 09:16 PM Re: anti jake folks [Re: buckhorn40]
smstone22
16 Point

Loc: Allardt, TN

Originally Posted By: buckhorn40

I didn't just what a seasoned turkey hunter told me.

Just FYI buckhorn. Turkeys are whole numbers in age during the Spring harvest, as they are hatched in late Spring. Deer is where you get into halves.

#1337359 - 05/22/09 08:51 AM Re: anti jake folks [Re: RNDeLoach]
Lawrence
8 Point

Loc: MT. Juliet Tennessee

Is it Mississippi that has a no jake law? If so I would like to hear from someone that hunts there if it has made any kind of impact on how many more LB's they are hearing/seeing

BOOM

#1337501 - 05/22/09 10:16 AM Re: anti jake folks [Re: Lawrence]
mmcfarland
Button

Mississippi does have a no jake law. I for one am all about it. I can see having a jake law for kids under 16 though.

i know Captain hook is looked on as a villain for not wanting jakes shot and not wanting to shoot 3 pudwacker bucks but i am of the same mindset. I am not looking down on those who do its just a different philosophy.

Different strokes for different folks. its a timeless argument and if you go to the serious deer talk you can read until your eyes bleed. some folks enjoy shooting spikes and basket racks. some enjoy the challenge of hunting mature deer and seeing what their herd will produce. Whats crazy to me is how different the mentality is in different parts of the country and how heated the arguments get. i for one dont worry about it and choose to hunt in states that manage for mature bucks.

Same thing goes for turkeys. i for one dont shoot jakes namely because they are next years stock imo. They are by no means as challenging as a 2 yo and yes i have been fooled and had my heart pumping by superjakes several times (never more than this year) That being said if they make it through the year i know that i will have about 10 two year olds at least to chase next year and nothing beats a loud mouth 2 year old. its amazing how people blame bad hatches, pressure etc. for declining populations when they are wacking the jakes. doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure that one out.

#1337571 - 05/22/09 10:44 AM Re: anti jake folks [Re: mmcfarland]
RNDeLoach
Spike

In Mississippi you cannot shoot a turkey if the beard is under 6 inches in length. I for one think that it is a great idea because if it is borderline and you think it is less than 6 inches in length you let it walk. I know there are some mature birds that get beard rot but that is not a common occurance where I hunt but it does happen in other places. Tennessee needs to reword the phrase "bearded turkey" to "bearded male." That would eliminate bearded hens getting mowed down.

#1337579 - 05/22/09 10:51 AM Re: anti jake folks [Re: RNDeLoach]
Winchester
Non-Typical

Shooting a bearded hen in this day and time here in TN would not harm the flock at all. We have a great population of Turkeys and its still growing, hence the hen seasons in the Fall, shooting one definitely wont make the sky fall, especially being its fairly rare anyway, and their a unique find as well!
#1337599 - 05/22/09 11:04 AM Re: anti jake folks [Re: mmcfarland]
4onaside
12 Point

Originally Posted By: mmcfarland
Mississippi does have a no jake law. I for one am all about it. I can see having a jake law for kids under 16 though.

i know Captain hook is looked on as a villain for not wanting jakes shot and not wanting to shoot 3 pudwacker bucks but i am of the same mindset. I am not looking down on those who do its just a different philosophy.

Different strokes for different folks. its a timeless argument and if you go to the serious deer talk you can read until your eyes bleed. some folks enjoy shooting spikes and basket racks. some enjoy the challenge of hunting mature deer and seeing what their herd will produce. Whats crazy to me is how different the mentality is in different parts of the country and how heated the arguments get. i for one dont worry about it and choose to hunt in states that manage for mature bucks.

Same thing goes for turkeys. i for one dont shoot jakes namely because they are next years stock imo. They are by no means as challenging as a 2 yo and yes i have been fooled and had my heart pumping by superjakes several times (never more than this year) That being said if they make it through the year i know that i will have about 10 two year olds at least to chase next year and nothing beats a loud mouth 2 year old. its amazing how people blame bad hatches, pressure etc. for declining populations when they are wacking the jakes. doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure that one out.
Mc, as you said the beat goes on and everyone has a different philosophy, and I'll never have your's, or the captain's nor you guys mine. I certainly don't have a problem with your not shooting jakes. Your choice. And those two words are really the crux of the matter IMO. Many of the people who are for rescricting the harvest of jakes, in effect, want to take that choice away from those of us who do consider them to be a worthy target. That's my biggest objection with you "don't shoot the jakes" advocates. It's not "I don't shoot jakes", its "I think that it would be a good idea if you don't also". I may not be an authority on a lot of things in this world, and probably not turkey management either. But, I am probably the foremost authority around on how many turkeys that I have in my immediate area, certainly more than you and hook and for that matter anyone on the TWRA payroll. This year we had a very adequate population of male birds, last year maybe not so many. So if you guys think that killing jakes has an adverse effect on the age class that you think is optimum where YOU hunt, then you are doing what you personally can to improve that. All I would like is to let ME on my place do the same. I personally think that your efforts in increasing populations would be better spent by lobbying against hen harvest during any season by any method. Killing a hen kills generations of turkeys. Killing a jake kills one turkey that you want to kill next year anyway.

#1338640 - 05/23/09 06:52 PM Re: anti jake folks [Re: WingNut]
Anonymous TnDeer Old Timer
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: WingNut
it doesn't make you any less of a hunter then the guy who killed four toms.

great post up to this point. completely disagree with this statement. jakes are for kids and girls. save em for them.

#1338680 - 05/23/09 08:06 PM Re: anti jake folks [Re: ]
4onaside
12 Point

Originally Posted By: deerlawyer

great post up to this point. completely disagree with this statement. jakes are for kids and girls. save em for them.
Another absurd, aggorant statement, probably by someone who has never killed a turkey, or ever been turkey hunting.

#1338728 - 05/23/09 09:35 PM Re: anti jake folks [Re: turkeyhunter]
Unregistered

jakes imo are for young sportsmen or first time turkey hunters. I do not shoot jakes nor does anyone I hunt with shoot jakes. They are very easy to kill(most of the time) and there not much to them once you have shot them(spurs&beard). Thats the whole reason I hold out for a longbeard or I dont fill my tags.
#1338748 - 05/23/09 10:31 PM Re: anti jake folks [Re: ]
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: 4onaside

Another absurd, aggorant statement, probably by someone who has never killed a turkey, or ever been turkey hunting.

That is a heck of post, I have to say. Even though I have thoughts not far from that, I would never dare put them on a public forum. Something are just better kept to oneself. \:D

capt, i have the benefit of anonimity and you do not. sometimes its nice to be able to say how you really feel! i would love to pic your brain about those mountain birds sometime. those missouri birds give me fits!!

#1339110 - 05/24/09 01:28 PM Re: anti jake folks [Re: ]
WingNut
Woodpile Boys
8 Point

That is a heck of post, I have to say. Even though I have thoughts not far from that, I would never dare put them on a public forum. Something are just better kept to oneself. \:D

capt, i have the benefit of anonimity and you do not. sometimes its nice to be able to say how you really feel! i would love to pic your brain about those mountain birds sometime. those missouri birds give me fits!!

I have the benefit of anonymity, however there are a few who know me, and even if, there are just somethings which I would not say on a public forum. Not that I don't think that way or have those thoughts, but I just keep some cards in my pocket.

Anytime you want to talk turkey let me know, I am always game.

Cyberspace cowboys. Can talk all kinds of s..t behind the computer. Way to go fellas you are the best hunters in the state, hell probably in the country. While you two are picking eachothers "brains" (haha) about turkey hunting and how the number or turkeys in your area are so low. We will be here in Marshall County wacking the crap out of jakes and longbeards with decoys and taking pictures in front of our woodpile. Since the numbers are so low in your area why fill your tags every year? you should save some for the next year. I know the law says you can kill 4 but the numbers are low so just kill 2 or even 1. Save the rest for the next year. If you keep that up for a few years maybe your turkey numbers will pick up. just a thought,

#1339316 - 05/24/09 07:10 PM Re: anti jake folks [Re: ]
4onaside
12 Point

I have the benefit of anonymity, however there are a few who know me, and even if, there are just somethings which I would not say on a public forum. Not that I don't think that way or have those thoughts, but I just keep some cards in my pocket.

Cyberspace cowboys. Can talk all kinds of s..t behind the computer. Way to go fellas you are the best hunters in the state, hell probably in the country. While you two are picking eachothers "brains" (haha) about turkey hunting and how the number or turkeys in your area are so low. We will be here in Marshall County wacking the crap out of jakes and longbeards with decoys and taking pictures in front of our woodpile. Since the numbers are so low in your area why fill your tags every year? you should save some for the next year. I know the law says you can kill 4 but the numbers are low so just kill 2 or even 1. Save the rest for the next year. If you keep that up for a few years maybe your turkey numbers will pick up. just a thought,

Don't lash out at me, I was simply saying that there are things which just don't need to be said in the public's eye. Some thoughts are better left in ones head.

My turkey numbers are fine, however the rest of the state seems to have some issue going on.

Of course marshall county is fine, it is one of the best in the state. Heck if you can't kill 4 longbeards there, then you dang ure can't kill one at the butterball factory \:D
Who said what?? This is so involved that I'm confused. Of course, I confuse easily. LOL

#1339574 - 05/24/09 09:57 PM Re: anti jake folks [Re: ]
4onaside
12 Point

Don't lash out at me, I was simply saying that there are things which just don't need to be said in the public's eye. Some thoughts are better left in ones head.

My turkey numbers are fine, however the rest of the state seems to have some issue going on.

Of course marshall county is fine, it is one of the best in the state. Heck if you can't kill 4 longbeards there, then you dang ure can't kill one at the butterball factory \:D
Who said what?? This is so involved that I'm confused. Of course, I confuse easily. LOL

Wingnut, throwing out insults by quoting me, and pointing fingers like I have been acting like deerlawyer and bashing jake killers. Guess he feels big and bad killing a couple of birds in Marshall County, where even the blind limit out each spring \:D \:D

No one flip out, that was a joke.
And a good one, I might add.
May everyone hunt and shoot what they want and and don't attack anyone else because they do the same. Peace.

#1342626 - 05/26/09 08:11 PM Re: anti jake folks [Re: ]
MRUTVOL
6 Point

Loc: Goodlettsville,Tennessee,USA

Originally Posted By: bsl
That is funny that you say some things are better left unsaid captain.I would hate to see what you said if you weren't holding back.lol

You don't want to know what crosses my mind daily as I go through pages of this and other forums. \:D

Hey Hook I must say your new attitude is refreshing to say the least! \:\) As a matter of fact you have held back better than I would have on a couple post. Even though some have tried to trash it this is a pretty informative thread IMO.

Page all of 6 12345>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Bobby G, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, Grizzly Johnson, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
6 registered (tanker179, MachDR, gun nut, H1234, TNErnie47, 1 invisible) and 72 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180122 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.011 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.