Tndeer Logo

Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Topic Options
#1343133 - 05/27/09 07:35 AM Re: Monster Brown on Watauga [Re: Tubakka]
Tubakka
6 Point

Loc: Tennessee

4onasaide,
Rogues are amongst my bread and butter. They are far better than huskyjerk rapalas, not in some magic quality, but in consistent tuning out of the box and quality of the bait. Might want to put some heavier hooks on it though. Although I'm fond of the larger two sizes of xraps, for the price, you can't beat the rogues. Just make sure you get the 5 1/2" suspending, and more often than not it's better if it flashes.

#1344121 - 05/27/09 05:22 PM Re: Monster Brown on Watauga [Re: Tubakka]
4onaside
12 Point

Loc: Jackson,Tn

Originally Posted By: Tubakka
4onasaide,
Rogues are amongst my bread and butter. They are far better than huskyjerk rapalas, not in some magic quality, but in consistent tuning out of the box and quality of the bait. Might want to put some heavier hooks on it though. Although I'm fond of the larger two sizes of xraps, for the price, you can't beat the rogues. Just make sure you get the 5 1/2" suspending, and more often than not it's better if it flashes.
I bought two years ago along with two devils horses(same company) off a bargain table somewhere. I just dug em out and put a devils horse on a wire leader to try some pickerel in a lake near here,which brought to mind a fishing show that was filmed on the Little Red when they were generating some pretty serious water,and two guys were wearing out the browns on them. Not absolute giants, but 5 lb class fish.

No one's eyes go bad looking on the bright side of life.

#1344678 - 05/27/09 11:49 PM Re: Monster Brown on Watauga [Re: 4onaside]
Tubakka
6 Point

I know 3 guys from Cleveland, TN in our spoonpluggers club that floated the White River at night, noe night with rogues, and got 3 browns...16, 18, 22 pounds a piece. I can find that picture and try to upload it. Sick.
#1344922 - 05/28/09 07:28 AM Re: Monster Brown on Watauga [Re: Tubakka]
gil1
12 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

in our spoonpluggers club

You're in a spoonplugger's club? \:D \:D \:D \:D \:D \:D \:D \:D \:D \:D \:D \:D \:D \:D \:D \:D \:D \:D \:D \:D
Do y'all have meetings and johnboat decals? \:D
Is there a secret handshake? \:D

I don't like it when folks join together to form a certain demographic and then have opinions solely based on their fishing method. This is anarchy, Tubbs. You need to morph back into the mainstream and only fish the way others do. How can you limit yourself like that? A good little lemming would never join a spoonplugger's club! \:D

Man, that's going to keep me rolling all weekend! \:D

Dr. Saxton Pope

#1344953 - 05/28/09 07:45 AM Re: Monster Brown on Watauga [Re: gil1]
Headhunter
10 Point

Loc: LaVergne, TN USA

Tubs, my dad is better than your dad and one time, back in high school, on a purple buzzbait smothered in cow manure I caught a 51 pound rainbow spotted, brown trout in 200 feet of water at 2:00 a.m. in the middle of the day.
I tried and know I am not a comedian, but it does not take a rocket scientist to figure out you are full of it. Many years ago I was friends with some spoonpluggers and I would have to say they were good guys, great fisherman, and unless you were good friends with them you would have never known that they even fished. You probably do not understand what that last sentence means, but maybe one day you will.

#1345120 - 05/28/09 08:45 AM Re: Monster Brown on Watauga [Re: Headhunter]
Tubakka
6 Point

Gil,
You have no idea what the idea is behind "spoonplugging" which is actually a terrible name in the first place. Unlike "flyfishing" which actually IS just "Flyfishing" spoonplugging is basically just utilizing the teachings of Buck perry, which often uses the spoonplug as a tool, but just as often requires the use of other lures and tackle to execute the knowledge it takes to catch them. I don't use spoonplugs on the Caney or any trout river I've encountered thus far, they aren't the best tool for the job. So I use another tool, but the knowledge that allowed me to do decently on the river in a relatively short span of time was acquired by studying Buck's materials as a kid, learning on lakes, and then applying those same tactics and principles to a different style of water, and changes accordingly. It's still a work in progress, but you can be a "spoonplugger" and one day be chucking 10" jakes to muskies in the back of a cove in post spawn, the next trolling spoonplugs off of a 40 foot breakline in a reservoir for largemouth, and the next throwing jerkbaits or even flies, if it is the best and most efficient means for trout in a tailrace.

Wanna see the difference between my demographic and yours? Just because we're "spoonpluggers" doesn't mean that we beat away at the water with SPOONPLUGS trolling when the situation doesn't call for it. We don't try to make a square peg go into a round hole...we choose the best and most efficient means to execute the knowledge. Let's get real here, if that's how you get your kicks, that's fine, but fly fishing is more about catching fish on fly rod than using the fly rod as the method to suit an occasion as it is the best for that time and place. BIG DIFFERENCE. You just proved how little you know about your own demographic gil.

We share info, go after different species, and use whatever method necessary to get the fish. We don't not listen to other people because of their choice of method, or limit ourselves. The very essence of "spoonplugging" is not using spoonplugs, but to do whatever is necessary to control your depth, speed, size color and action to whatever ends it means to catch the fish. It shows how little you know about the organization or the knowledge.

We used to have outings and such, but not so much anymore.

I understand, Headhunter, that fishing historically has been a bunch of greedy selfish lock-lipped codgers who want everyone else to suffer the same time and effort it took them to get the same results. They don't care to teach and they don't care to share. I may be a little more the other way, but I like to share info and I like to see others do well. I've had that same luxury afforded me and I like to pay it forward.

...and you're just an cretan, headhunter, who's never posted any pics, had any report, or had anything contributory to say. I give reports, I post pics, and you don't even have the guts to comment on those, or even the decency to give a "nice catch", not that I need or care to have that pat on the back. I just always though a fishing forum was FOR reports, not this trash.

Seriously dude, unless you post pics, give reports, and share info, then WHY ARE YOU EVEN HERE????

Edited by Tubakka (05/28/09 08:48 AM)

#1345148 - 05/28/09 08:58 AM Re: Monster Brown on Watauga [Re: ]
WORM82
8 Point

Loc: Jonesborough TN

i never have caught any like that from the watauga but i have seen some in the 10 to 18lb class caught at night during high water on big #11 and #13 rapalas and rebel plugs
#1345157 - 05/28/09 09:02 AM Re: Monster Brown on Watauga [Re: WORM82]
Tubakka
6 Point

Big browns are nocturnal, at least the brutes. What is the water clarity on that river? It has to be crystal judging by the lake above it. I like the natural stain to Caney, even when running clear. The eutrophic nature of the reservoir aids in that.
#1345276 - 05/28/09 09:52 AM Re: Monster Brown on Watauga [Re: Tubakka]
Headhunter
10 Point

Loc: LaVergne, TN USA

Tubs, I have never fished or caught a fish, know nothing about fishing, but you are hilarious. I can only find the kind of humurous garbage you spew on the cnn and msnbc, you have to be a liberal, if not you can sure sound like one. I have never posted any pictures of any fish, because I have never caught any. Maybe one day you can take me fishing and I can learn almost directly from Buck Perry. You are truly unbelievable.

#1345915 - 05/28/09 04:10 PM Re: Monster Brown on Watauga [Re: Tubakka]
B.D.
8 Point

Loc: Hendersonville TN

You have no idea what the idea is behind "spoonplugging" which is actually a terrible name in the first place.

Some people experiment with spoonplugging their roommates in college, but it is just a phase. For others, they are born that way and it's just the way they are, not a lifestyle choice.

Quote:
We don't try to make a square peg go into a round hole...

The Prosecution would like to introduce this as Exhibit #1.

Quote:
The eutrophic nature of the reservoir aids in that.

Eutrophic???

Slow down! Half the people here still have to move their lips when they read "piscivorous." We're not ready for a new Word of the Day yet.

bd

Edited by Brian Dunigan (05/28/09 04:11 PM)

Page 3 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
2 registered (Sgoodman, 1 invisible) and 61 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180122 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.009 seconds in which 0.004 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.