Tndeer Logo

Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Topic Options
#1345276 - 05/28/09 09:52 AM Re: Monster Brown on Watauga [Re: Tubakka]
Headhunter
10 Point

Loc: LaVergne, TN USA

Tubs, I have never fished or caught a fish, know nothing about fishing, but you are hilarious. I can only find the kind of humurous garbage you spew on the cnn and msnbc, you have to be a liberal, if not you can sure sound like one. I have never posted any pictures of any fish, because I have never caught any. Maybe one day you can take me fishing and I can learn almost directly from Buck Perry. You are truly unbelievable.

#1345915 - 05/28/09 04:10 PM Re: Monster Brown on Watauga [Re: Tubakka]
B.D.
8 Point

Loc: Hendersonville TN

Originally Posted By: Tubakka
You have no idea what the idea is behind "spoonplugging" which is actually a terrible name in the first place.

Some people experiment with spoonplugging their roommates in college, but it is just a phase. For others, they are born that way and it's just the way they are, not a lifestyle choice.

Quote:
We don't try to make a square peg go into a round hole...

The Prosecution would like to introduce this as Exhibit #1.

Quote:
The eutrophic nature of the reservoir aids in that.

Eutrophic???

Slow down! Half the people here still have to move their lips when they read "piscivorous." We're not ready for a new Word of the Day yet.

bd

Edited by Brian Dunigan (05/28/09 04:11 PM)

#1345942 - 05/28/09 04:29 PM Re: Monster Brown on Watauga [Re: B.D.]
Tubakka
6 Point

Loc: Tennessee

I'm sorry guys. Facts are facts. I don't know how you can even begin to comment on something you might have read about in a magazine a couple times. I studied the history of Buck back in high school. Like it or not, the guy was and always will be a staple figure in the history of angling. The Linders get it, Rick Clunn gets it, Spence Petros gets it, Doug Stange, Larry Dahlberg, Joe Bucher, Kevin Van Dam, Ray Scott, Doug Hannon, yada yada yada all get it...why don't you?

C'mon Bd...if someone wants to fly fish that's their business. But level with me here...facts are facts. Fly fishing has grown far beyond just being a tactic used at certain times to creating a legion of people who refuse to fish anything but. That's fine, I'm through bashing, but still don't try to fool anyone. Flyfishing has obviously turned into "let's see what we can catch on flyrod just to do it". That's fine, but far removed from what the tackle was originally designed to do. Not saying it can't accomplish it in the hands of a competent angler, but come down to earth man.

#1345949 - 05/28/09 04:34 PM Re: Monster Brown on Watauga [Re: Headhunter]
Tubakka
6 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Originally Posted By: Headhunter
Tubs, I have never fished or caught a fish, know nothing about fishing, but you are hilarious. I can only find the kind of humurous garbage you spew on the cnn and msnbc, you have to be a liberal, if not you can sure sound like one. I have never posted any pictures of any fish, because I have never caught any. Maybe one day you can take me fishing and I can learn almost directly from Buck Perry. You are truly unbelievable.

Well, one can only assume that from what you post on this board, which is absolutely nothing. In fact, people like you detract from it. If you were posting reports and pictures and sharing info, and THEN did this and just didn't like me and what I said, that'd be different. But you just fire spitwads, where you've lathered up a loose amalgum of your own "clever" thoughts and quips which you then project with your own hot air, with about the same affect.

Headhunter, I'm not saying you're a terrible angler, you're probably pretty good...but you have yet to contribute anything to a fishing forum another than underhanded comments with no backing them let alone any reports of any kind, pictures, or anything to back your own opinions. I am FAR from liberal. I like to kill things, remember? Kiss baby, shake hand; kiss baby, shake hand; kiss hand, shake baby....

#1345971 - 05/28/09 04:54 PM Re: Monster Brown on Watauga [Re: Tubakka]
B.D.
8 Point

Originally Posted By: Tubakka

C'mon Bd...if someone wants to fly fish that's their business. But level with me here...facts are facts. Fly fishing has grown far beyond just being a tactic used at certain times to creating a legion of people who refuse to fish anything but.

I don't think I ever argued that fly fishing is always the most effective way to catch large numbers of fish. I don't remember seeing anyone here making that argument. There are times when a fly will outfish gear (shad kill, fall caddis), but you have to pick your conditions. Sometimes big trout just eat small stuff - the record brown on the Little Red was caught on a marabou jig and allegedly had a stomach full of scuds. But it ain't every day.

I think everyone here who fly fishes has agreed it's like bow hunting - we've caught fish on gear, said "been there, done that," and looked for something that adds a little more challenge.

Where I get my back up is when you start talking as if fly fishers don't know or can't know how to pursue trophy fish, and they shouldn't have a say in managing a trophy fishery.

I trophy hunt plenty, just with a little more demanding method. Some guys hunt elk with a bow - so what? If you preach to those guys that they'd be "more effective" if they hunted elk with a rifle, they'll look at you like you don't get the concept - which is pretty much what you're getting here.

bd

#1346886 - 05/29/09 10:36 AM Re: Monster Brown on Watauga [Re: B.D.]
Headhunter
10 Point

Loc: LaVergne, TN USA

Tubs, there you go again, showing your ignorance. I have posted many pictures and shared as much information as I know, do a search. Many of the ways I go about fishing (and hunting) are different than the ways most people go about things, but I always share whatever I have to share, be it information or equipment. I do hold some things as a secret, not many, but I have a few things I consider secret as probably most anyone does, but I share, almost to the point of sharing to much, with almost anyone. Last spring I posted as much (which is not a lot) as I know about fishing deep for bass. I also do not believe I am a "god" of fishing as you do. I fish for enjoyment and have probably given away more fishing equipment than you may own. You fit the true definition of an idiot who is probably a good fisherman.

#1346997 - 05/29/09 12:25 PM Re: Monster Brown on Watauga [Re: Headhunter]
ewc
8 Point

Loc: Knoxville

There are no reservoirs in TN that can be considered eutrophic - maybe one lake, but no reservoirs (bonus points to anyone who can name the one).

Center Hill (along with all of the tributary reservoirs in TN) would be considered oligotrophic.

#1347008 - 05/29/09 12:35 PM Re: Monster Brown on Watauga [Re: ewc]
captain hook
10 Point

South Holston is considered to be Eutrophic

#1347072 - 05/29/09 01:09 PM Re: Monster Brown on Watauga [Re: captain hook]
ewc
8 Point

Eutrophic reservoirs are shallow, low-visibility, and have high primary productivity.

That would rule out TN's tributary reservoirs. All of TN's trib reservoirs are 1)deep, 2)clear (good visibility), and 3)low primary productivity.

However, a quick internet search showed South Holston to be mesotrophic in a 2004 TWRA report by Doug Peterson:

http://www.tnfish.org/AnnualReservoirTechnicalReports_TWRA/2004/SHolstonReport2004.pdf

So, while I would define ALL tributary reservoirs in TN as oligotrophic(based on the definition), Doug defined it as mesotrophic. His opinion is highly valued by me, so I concede to his findings.

Have a good weekend, I'm off to coach a soccer tourney-

#1347073 - 05/29/09 01:09 PM Re: Monster Brown on Watauga [Re: captain hook]
B.D.
8 Point

Quote:
South Holston is considered to be Eutrophic

Sorry, not even close. South Holston would be mesotrophic at best. Definitely not eutrophic. I think most of the "highland" reservoirs would probably be mesotrophic.

Reelfoot would probably have a good chance of being categorized as eutrophic. With the work on the dams last summer, Old Hickory was looking eutrophic - no flow meant high fertility, anoxic conditions in deeper water, etc.

When I think of oglitrophic lakes I think of lakes up in Canada or high in the Rockies with hardly any nutrient load at all.

bd

Edited by Brian Dunigan (05/29/09 01:10 PM)

Page 4 of 5 <12345>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Afleming17, 260rem, Hunter244, Woodsmaster, Tennessee Skeeter
13278 Registered Users
Who's Online
129 registered (caretaker, Reload1, vonhogslayer, doubledownranch, Deerhunter, Phil1979, 20 invisible) and 141 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13278 Members
42 Forums
85062 Topics
1027816 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.208 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.