Tndeer Logo

Page all of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#1332376 - 05/19/09 12:19 AM Monster Brown on Watauga
Drake624
4 Point

Loc: johnson city, tn

I got this in an email the other day and it is by far one of the biggest trout that I have ever seen.

35.5 inches
25lbs

Only three lbs away from the state record!!

"THE QUACK THAT KILLS!!!!"

#1332378 - 05/19/09 12:35 AM Re: Monster Brown on Watauga [Re: Drake624]
Tubakka
6 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Yeah this was up on the east tennessee forum a while back. Fantastic fish, but I think the fish themselves aren't that rare that size in our tailwaters to be honest. We're just all too stupid to catch them consistently...I dunno. Speaking for myself on fish that size. But all browns have the potential to reach that size, and most are not being caught after they reach 20" plus or so, at least by most anglers. They don't disappear....they just change their habits. The more people begin to believe and realize these fish are there, and fish for them, the more will show.

You should check out the fish caught in the White. There is a guide on the White that uses bait that has over 27 fish over 20 pounds to his credit. That is unheard of, even for a fishery of the caliber as the White.

#1332379 - 05/19/09 12:37 AM Re: Monster Brown on Watauga [Re: Tubakka]
Tubakka
6 Point

And on that note, the state record will be broken within a year. My money's on Caney, and that's not saying because I think I'll catch it or anything. It is just getting some pressure and I've seen and heard of too many big fish encounters, in that size range...one of them is going ot make a fatal mistake.
#1332380 - 05/19/09 12:47 AM Re: Monster Brown on Watauga [Re: Tubakka]
Drake624
4 Point

Loc: johnson city, tn

yeah the guy emailed me this pic and i thought that i would share it. Most browns turn nocturnal after they get so big i believe. And i agree. We are just to dumb to catch fish of this size. Maybe we can land one of that size. Where can i check out
those fish on the white at?

"THE QUACK THAT KILLS!!!!"

#1332458 - 05/19/09 06:58 AM Re: Monster Brown on Watauga [Re: Drake624]
Headhunter
10 Point

Loc: LaVergne, TN USA

Tubs, the LEGEND(less), has spoken.

#1332495 - 05/19/09 07:30 AM Re: Monster Brown on Watauga [Re: ]
fishboy1
16 Point

Loc: Warren Co

When I was a kid, I saw a guy who would catch browns like that out of lake michigan on light spinning gear.
Caught them all on dead bait off the rock jetties at an inlet.

After a couple weeks of pestering him, he showed me how he did it.
I finally hooked one but my zebco locked up and POW! that was the end of that.

#1332697 - 05/19/09 09:07 AM Re: Monster Brown on Watauga [Re: Drake624]
spitndrum
Supreme Hunting Outdoors Pro Staff
Non-Typical

Loc: Cumberland Plateau

\:o

#1332790 - 05/19/09 10:07 AM Re: Monster Brown on Watauga [Re: spitndrum]
easy45
Non-Typical

Loc: Chester County

wow

#1334900 - 05/20/09 08:06 PM Re: Monster Brown on Watauga [Re: Drake624]
buckhorn40
Non-Typical

Loc: Crossville

#1340932 - 05/25/09 11:35 PM Re: Monster Brown on Watauga [Re: Tubakka]
holstonangler
6 Point

Loc: Johnson City

Originally Posted By: Tubakka
Fantastic fish, but I think the fish themselves aren't that rare that size in our tailwaters to be honest. We're just all too stupid to catch them consistently...I dunno.

I'll go ahead and tell you that trout of this size are very rare. In TN waters they are considered to be a fish of a lifetime, even to those who target these big browns year-round. And no, we're not stupid, we spend our time on the water targeting waters that will most likely hold these giants and offering them what most likely resembles their next meal.

Edited by holstonangler (05/25/09 11:36 PM)

#1341790 - 05/26/09 01:27 PM Re: Monster Brown on Watauga [Re: spitndrum]
num1medic
14 Point

Loc: Crossville,TN

big'un for sure

#1342214 - 05/26/09 04:53 PM Re: Monster Brown on Watauga [Re: num1medic]
4onaside
12 Point

Loc: Jackson,Tn

40 lb, 4 ozs. Little Red River, Arkansas
Something to shoot for, for anyone who actually doesn't think that a 25 lb'er is not a fish of a lifetime. I do. LOL

No one's eyes go bad looking on the bright side of life.

#1342433 - 05/26/09 06:42 PM Re: Monster Brown on Watauga [Re: 4onaside]
Tubakka
6 Point

holstonangler,
That wasn't meant to be some kind of slam. But that's my motto...there's no such thing as a smart fish. A fish can't do calculus. A fish can't write a symphony. And yet, we have trouble pursuing them sometimes? I don't fault the fish and their "intelligence". I fault myself. Always. If I'm not catching the fish I want, that's my lack of knowledge and ability to apply. That goes for every angler. Don't take issue with that, it wasn't a slam. I wasn't calling anyone "stupid". Hey, I haven't caught a fish that big...

#1342458 - 05/26/09 06:52 PM Re: Monster Brown on Watauga [Re: Tubakka]
Tubakka
6 Point

I will say this holston angler, I've personally danced with trout over 20 pounds, I know. And hooked up with fish over 15. But, I've seen ALOT more swimming around at the dam on low or no flow at night under the lights that look like buffalo carp until you see the kype. I've seen alot of big fish in these rivers for the short time I've spent, and by rivers I basically mean Caney. I know in most fisheries I've been able to spend time on, the population of the largest fish has been very well protected by the ignorance of most of us. That's not saying that there aren't some INCREDIBLE anglers on these waters, but it takes alot of knowledge and application to target these giants. I respect anyone who can do it, and pretty soon I'll be forking over some good coin to shrink the learning curve on how. But until then, I'm floundering around in the dark looking for the light switch, occasionally I brush against it and the lights flicker on, but most of the time, no.
#1342948 - 05/27/09 12:19 AM Re: Monster Brown on Watauga [Re: Tubakka]
holstonangler
6 Point

Loc: Johnson City

Sorry, it came over as a slam to the fisherman who caught it. It's an extraordinary speciman. Thats good you have alot of opinions about big trout, but until you show us some slammers you've taken over 15lb, your opinions come over very lightly. If the Caney does hold as many monster browns as you say, I sure wouldn't be advertising it as such, as a secret hole doesn't say secret very long. Trust me, I've been there and done that.
#1343046 - 05/27/09 06:39 AM Re: Monster Brown on Watauga [Re: holstonangler]
bob
4 Point

Loc: tn

Caney has nothing on Holston.
#1343087 - 05/27/09 07:00 AM Re: Monster Brown on Watauga [Re: bob]
Tubakka
6 Point

Basically all my opinions come from action that I've gotten from fish that size. But it's not consistent. Holston angler do you have some slammers? The way you talk it sounds like you do, and I'm not saying that to be confrontational. I'm saying that because I'm intrigued. I've only been at this really for about a year of total time, and I'm very anxious to learn.
#1343100 - 05/27/09 07:11 AM Re: Monster Brown on Watauga [Re: Tubakka]
Tubakka
6 Point

Trust me those big browns on the caney are quite safe, and if and when I do figure this out, I ain't tellin' just anyone how to do that. Although, let's get real, here on what is supposed to be a FORUM, which the very word comes from the Grecian society as a place where ideas were shared, discussed and exchanged, there is very little of that, or interest in that it seems, concerning the larger browns. Although it's refreshing to finally talk to someone who doesn't think that a 25" brown is a giant.
#1343113 - 05/27/09 07:19 AM Re: Monster Brown on Watauga [Re: Tubakka]
4onaside
12 Point

Do they still make Rattlin Rouges? I have some "second hand" experience that tells me that it is a terrific heavywater tailwater Brown bait.

#1343127 - 05/27/09 07:33 AM Re: Monster Brown on Watauga [Re: Tubakka]
Tubakka
6 Point

Oh yeah, there's a guide on the White who has 27 browns over 20 pounds to his credit over his lifetime. That's markedly above the other anglers in that area that are known, and almost anyone I've ever heard of outside of perhaps the Great lakes. I don't think the Caney is the White, but I do think there are untold numbers of big fish in all these tailraces. I have had a couple encounters myself and my old tech psyche professor had a brown try to eat a 15" brown off his hook at the boat.
#1343133 - 05/27/09 07:35 AM Re: Monster Brown on Watauga [Re: Tubakka]
Tubakka
6 Point

4onasaide,
Rogues are amongst my bread and butter. They are far better than huskyjerk rapalas, not in some magic quality, but in consistent tuning out of the box and quality of the bait. Might want to put some heavier hooks on it though. Although I'm fond of the larger two sizes of xraps, for the price, you can't beat the rogues. Just make sure you get the 5 1/2" suspending, and more often than not it's better if it flashes.

#1344121 - 05/27/09 05:22 PM Re: Monster Brown on Watauga [Re: Tubakka]
4onaside
12 Point

4onasaide,
Rogues are amongst my bread and butter. They are far better than huskyjerk rapalas, not in some magic quality, but in consistent tuning out of the box and quality of the bait. Might want to put some heavier hooks on it though. Although I'm fond of the larger two sizes of xraps, for the price, you can't beat the rogues. Just make sure you get the 5 1/2" suspending, and more often than not it's better if it flashes.
I bought two years ago along with two devils horses(same company) off a bargain table somewhere. I just dug em out and put a devils horse on a wire leader to try some pickerel in a lake near here,which brought to mind a fishing show that was filmed on the Little Red when they were generating some pretty serious water,and two guys were wearing out the browns on them. Not absolute giants, but 5 lb class fish.

#1344678 - 05/27/09 11:49 PM Re: Monster Brown on Watauga [Re: 4onaside]
Tubakka
6 Point

I know 3 guys from Cleveland, TN in our spoonpluggers club that floated the White River at night, noe night with rogues, and got 3 browns...16, 18, 22 pounds a piece. I can find that picture and try to upload it. Sick.
#1344922 - 05/28/09 07:28 AM Re: Monster Brown on Watauga [Re: Tubakka]
gil1
12 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

in our spoonpluggers club

You're in a spoonplugger's club? \:D \:D \:D \:D \:D \:D \:D \:D \:D \:D \:D \:D \:D \:D \:D \:D \:D \:D \:D \:D
Do y'all have meetings and johnboat decals? \:D
Is there a secret handshake? \:D

I don't like it when folks join together to form a certain demographic and then have opinions solely based on their fishing method. This is anarchy, Tubbs. You need to morph back into the mainstream and only fish the way others do. How can you limit yourself like that? A good little lemming would never join a spoonplugger's club! \:D

Man, that's going to keep me rolling all weekend! \:D

Dr. Saxton Pope

#1344953 - 05/28/09 07:45 AM Re: Monster Brown on Watauga [Re: gil1]
Headhunter
10 Point

Tubs, my dad is better than your dad and one time, back in high school, on a purple buzzbait smothered in cow manure I caught a 51 pound rainbow spotted, brown trout in 200 feet of water at 2:00 a.m. in the middle of the day.
I tried and know I am not a comedian, but it does not take a rocket scientist to figure out you are full of it. Many years ago I was friends with some spoonpluggers and I would have to say they were good guys, great fisherman, and unless you were good friends with them you would have never known that they even fished. You probably do not understand what that last sentence means, but maybe one day you will.

#1345120 - 05/28/09 08:45 AM Re: Monster Brown on Watauga [Re: Headhunter]
Tubakka
6 Point

Gil,
You have no idea what the idea is behind "spoonplugging" which is actually a terrible name in the first place. Unlike "flyfishing" which actually IS just "Flyfishing" spoonplugging is basically just utilizing the teachings of Buck perry, which often uses the spoonplug as a tool, but just as often requires the use of other lures and tackle to execute the knowledge it takes to catch them. I don't use spoonplugs on the Caney or any trout river I've encountered thus far, they aren't the best tool for the job. So I use another tool, but the knowledge that allowed me to do decently on the river in a relatively short span of time was acquired by studying Buck's materials as a kid, learning on lakes, and then applying those same tactics and principles to a different style of water, and changes accordingly. It's still a work in progress, but you can be a "spoonplugger" and one day be chucking 10" jakes to muskies in the back of a cove in post spawn, the next trolling spoonplugs off of a 40 foot breakline in a reservoir for largemouth, and the next throwing jerkbaits or even flies, if it is the best and most efficient means for trout in a tailrace.

Wanna see the difference between my demographic and yours? Just because we're "spoonpluggers" doesn't mean that we beat away at the water with SPOONPLUGS trolling when the situation doesn't call for it. We don't try to make a square peg go into a round hole...we choose the best and most efficient means to execute the knowledge. Let's get real here, if that's how you get your kicks, that's fine, but fly fishing is more about catching fish on fly rod than using the fly rod as the method to suit an occasion as it is the best for that time and place. BIG DIFFERENCE. You just proved how little you know about your own demographic gil.

We share info, go after different species, and use whatever method necessary to get the fish. We don't not listen to other people because of their choice of method, or limit ourselves. The very essence of "spoonplugging" is not using spoonplugs, but to do whatever is necessary to control your depth, speed, size color and action to whatever ends it means to catch the fish. It shows how little you know about the organization or the knowledge.

We used to have outings and such, but not so much anymore.

I understand, Headhunter, that fishing historically has been a bunch of greedy selfish lock-lipped codgers who want everyone else to suffer the same time and effort it took them to get the same results. They don't care to teach and they don't care to share. I may be a little more the other way, but I like to share info and I like to see others do well. I've had that same luxury afforded me and I like to pay it forward.

...and you're just an cretan, headhunter, who's never posted any pics, had any report, or had anything contributory to say. I give reports, I post pics, and you don't even have the guts to comment on those, or even the decency to give a "nice catch", not that I need or care to have that pat on the back. I just always though a fishing forum was FOR reports, not this trash.

Seriously dude, unless you post pics, give reports, and share info, then WHY ARE YOU EVEN HERE????

Edited by Tubakka (05/28/09 08:48 AM)

#1345148 - 05/28/09 08:58 AM Re: Monster Brown on Watauga [Re: ]
WORM82
8 Point

Loc: Jonesborough TN

i never have caught any like that from the watauga but i have seen some in the 10 to 18lb class caught at night during high water on big #11 and #13 rapalas and rebel plugs
#1345157 - 05/28/09 09:02 AM Re: Monster Brown on Watauga [Re: WORM82]
Tubakka
6 Point

Big browns are nocturnal, at least the brutes. What is the water clarity on that river? It has to be crystal judging by the lake above it. I like the natural stain to Caney, even when running clear. The eutrophic nature of the reservoir aids in that.
#1345276 - 05/28/09 09:52 AM Re: Monster Brown on Watauga [Re: Tubakka]
Headhunter
10 Point

Tubs, I have never fished or caught a fish, know nothing about fishing, but you are hilarious. I can only find the kind of humurous garbage you spew on the cnn and msnbc, you have to be a liberal, if not you can sure sound like one. I have never posted any pictures of any fish, because I have never caught any. Maybe one day you can take me fishing and I can learn almost directly from Buck Perry. You are truly unbelievable.

#1345915 - 05/28/09 04:10 PM Re: Monster Brown on Watauga [Re: Tubakka]
B.D.
8 Point

Loc: Hendersonville TN

You have no idea what the idea is behind "spoonplugging" which is actually a terrible name in the first place.

Some people experiment with spoonplugging their roommates in college, but it is just a phase. For others, they are born that way and it's just the way they are, not a lifestyle choice.

Quote:
We don't try to make a square peg go into a round hole...

The Prosecution would like to introduce this as Exhibit #1.

Quote:
The eutrophic nature of the reservoir aids in that.

Eutrophic???

Slow down! Half the people here still have to move their lips when they read "piscivorous." We're not ready for a new Word of the Day yet.

bd

Edited by Brian Dunigan (05/28/09 04:11 PM)

#1345942 - 05/28/09 04:29 PM Re: Monster Brown on Watauga [Re: B.D.]
Tubakka
6 Point

I'm sorry guys. Facts are facts. I don't know how you can even begin to comment on something you might have read about in a magazine a couple times. I studied the history of Buck back in high school. Like it or not, the guy was and always will be a staple figure in the history of angling. The Linders get it, Rick Clunn gets it, Spence Petros gets it, Doug Stange, Larry Dahlberg, Joe Bucher, Kevin Van Dam, Ray Scott, Doug Hannon, yada yada yada all get it...why don't you?

C'mon Bd...if someone wants to fly fish that's their business. But level with me here...facts are facts. Fly fishing has grown far beyond just being a tactic used at certain times to creating a legion of people who refuse to fish anything but. That's fine, I'm through bashing, but still don't try to fool anyone. Flyfishing has obviously turned into "let's see what we can catch on flyrod just to do it". That's fine, but far removed from what the tackle was originally designed to do. Not saying it can't accomplish it in the hands of a competent angler, but come down to earth man.

#1345949 - 05/28/09 04:34 PM Re: Monster Brown on Watauga [Re: Headhunter]
Tubakka
6 Point

Originally Posted By: Headhunter
Tubs, I have never fished or caught a fish, know nothing about fishing, but you are hilarious. I can only find the kind of humurous garbage you spew on the cnn and msnbc, you have to be a liberal, if not you can sure sound like one. I have never posted any pictures of any fish, because I have never caught any. Maybe one day you can take me fishing and I can learn almost directly from Buck Perry. You are truly unbelievable.

Well, one can only assume that from what you post on this board, which is absolutely nothing. In fact, people like you detract from it. If you were posting reports and pictures and sharing info, and THEN did this and just didn't like me and what I said, that'd be different. But you just fire spitwads, where you've lathered up a loose amalgum of your own "clever" thoughts and quips which you then project with your own hot air, with about the same affect.

Headhunter, I'm not saying you're a terrible angler, you're probably pretty good...but you have yet to contribute anything to a fishing forum another than underhanded comments with no backing them let alone any reports of any kind, pictures, or anything to back your own opinions. I am FAR from liberal. I like to kill things, remember? Kiss baby, shake hand; kiss baby, shake hand; kiss hand, shake baby....

#1345971 - 05/28/09 04:54 PM Re: Monster Brown on Watauga [Re: Tubakka]
B.D.
8 Point

C'mon Bd...if someone wants to fly fish that's their business. But level with me here...facts are facts. Fly fishing has grown far beyond just being a tactic used at certain times to creating a legion of people who refuse to fish anything but.

I don't think I ever argued that fly fishing is always the most effective way to catch large numbers of fish. I don't remember seeing anyone here making that argument. There are times when a fly will outfish gear (shad kill, fall caddis), but you have to pick your conditions. Sometimes big trout just eat small stuff - the record brown on the Little Red was caught on a marabou jig and allegedly had a stomach full of scuds. But it ain't every day.

I think everyone here who fly fishes has agreed it's like bow hunting - we've caught fish on gear, said "been there, done that," and looked for something that adds a little more challenge.

Where I get my back up is when you start talking as if fly fishers don't know or can't know how to pursue trophy fish, and they shouldn't have a say in managing a trophy fishery.

I trophy hunt plenty, just with a little more demanding method. Some guys hunt elk with a bow - so what? If you preach to those guys that they'd be "more effective" if they hunted elk with a rifle, they'll look at you like you don't get the concept - which is pretty much what you're getting here.

bd

#1346886 - 05/29/09 10:36 AM Re: Monster Brown on Watauga [Re: B.D.]
Headhunter
10 Point

Tubs, there you go again, showing your ignorance. I have posted many pictures and shared as much information as I know, do a search. Many of the ways I go about fishing (and hunting) are different than the ways most people go about things, but I always share whatever I have to share, be it information or equipment. I do hold some things as a secret, not many, but I have a few things I consider secret as probably most anyone does, but I share, almost to the point of sharing to much, with almost anyone. Last spring I posted as much (which is not a lot) as I know about fishing deep for bass. I also do not believe I am a "god" of fishing as you do. I fish for enjoyment and have probably given away more fishing equipment than you may own. You fit the true definition of an idiot who is probably a good fisherman.

#1346997 - 05/29/09 12:25 PM Re: Monster Brown on Watauga [Re: Headhunter]
ewc
8 Point

Loc: Knoxville

There are no reservoirs in TN that can be considered eutrophic - maybe one lake, but no reservoirs (bonus points to anyone who can name the one).

Center Hill (along with all of the tributary reservoirs in TN) would be considered oligotrophic.

#1347072 - 05/29/09 01:09 PM Re: Monster Brown on Watauga [Re: ]
ewc
8 Point

Eutrophic reservoirs are shallow, low-visibility, and have high primary productivity.

That would rule out TN's tributary reservoirs. All of TN's trib reservoirs are 1)deep, 2)clear (good visibility), and 3)low primary productivity.

However, a quick internet search showed South Holston to be mesotrophic in a 2004 TWRA report by Doug Peterson:

http://www.tnfish.org/AnnualReservoirTechnicalReports_TWRA/2004/SHolstonReport2004.pdf

So, while I would define ALL tributary reservoirs in TN as oligotrophic(based on the definition), Doug defined it as mesotrophic. His opinion is highly valued by me, so I concede to his findings.

Have a good weekend, I'm off to coach a soccer tourney-

#1347073 - 05/29/09 01:09 PM Re: Monster Brown on Watauga [Re: ]
B.D.
8 Point

Quote:
South Holston is considered to be Eutrophic

Sorry, not even close. South Holston would be mesotrophic at best. Definitely not eutrophic. I think most of the "highland" reservoirs would probably be mesotrophic.

Reelfoot would probably have a good chance of being categorized as eutrophic. With the work on the dams last summer, Old Hickory was looking eutrophic - no flow meant high fertility, anoxic conditions in deeper water, etc.

When I think of oglitrophic lakes I think of lakes up in Canada or high in the Rockies with hardly any nutrient load at all.

bd

Edited by Brian Dunigan (05/29/09 01:10 PM)

#1347080 - 05/29/09 01:11 PM Re: Monster Brown on Watauga [Re: B.D.]
ewc
8 Point

BD wins the bonus points-

Reelfoot

#1347249 - 05/29/09 03:25 PM Re: Monster Brown on Watauga [Re: ewc]
B.D.
8 Point

I am like the Buck Perry of wildlife management vocabulary words!

bd

Page all of 4 1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
4 registered (wolfpack, tn/kyhunter, Arrow Flinger, tellico4x4) and 78 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180122 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.018 seconds in which 0.005 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.