Tndeer Logo

Page 10 of 10 « First<678910
Topic Options
#1326332 - 05/13/09 05:22 PM Re: 2009 Harvest Totals [Re: megalomaniac]
Bohuntr
TnDeer Old Timer
Spike

Loc: Lebanon, TN, USA

From the TWRA harvest data, is it possible for us to know how many hunters took 4 turkeys, how many took 3, and so on? That would be interesting to know.
#1326543 - 05/13/09 08:15 PM Re: 2009 Harvest Totals [Re: stik]
SHARPSPUR
4 Point

Loc: East TN

Originally Posted By: stik
i know this is the turkey forum and this post will not be liked here but i wish it was year 'round season- no limit. acorn-eating feathered rats. i wish turkeys could be eradicated from my hunting areas.

stik, Please let me know where your hunting lease is and I will do all I can to get them gone. \:\/

#1326690 - 05/13/09 10:16 PM Re: 2009 Harvest Totals [Re: megalomaniac]
4onaside
12 Point

Loc: Jackson,Tn

Originally Posted By: megalomaniac
 Originally Posted By: Huntaholic
 Originally Posted By: easy45
4 is too many but we can only take one either sex during the fall, how is that a high limit

Some of the counties allow ,ultiple birds per permit. in addition to that, all leftover permits go on sale after the draw and you can buy as many as you want to. I know some guys who have had as many as 9 permits each and they kill em by the truck full!

I've heard a report secondhand from the county next door's gamewarden that one fellow took 40-something turkeys last fall with leftover permits off one localized area!!!
Assuming that is a fact, three things: #1, there is(at least was) a great population in that area, #2, the guy is a game hog, and #3, he is also a heckuva turkey hunter.

#1330904 - 05/17/09 09:31 PM Re: 2009 Harvest Totals [Re: 4onaside]
captain hook
10 Point

Loc: Knoxville

Originally Posted By: 4onaside
 Originally Posted By: captain hook
 Originally Posted By: deerlawyer
outlaw decoys.

Yes, yes and yes. Especially the full strut decoys, IMO they are causing an excessive number of birds to die that normally would not and allowing hunters who normally would get culled to fill tags. Thus further damaging a population that in many places is on its heels.
You guys are kidding, right? I don't happen to own a "full strut" decoy, and turkeys do decoy rather easily. Maybe not easily, but certainly improves your odds when the turkey that you are calling actually sees "the turkey" thats making the noise. But, duh, who is going to be the enforcers? I can see it now, a vehicle drives up to my locked gate, and several black clad people pile out and run down my road and into the middle of my set yelling "turkey police!, turkey police!" lol The days of decoys are here, and rescinding their use would not be practical, or even possible for that matter. And my season was great, because the population(at least this year)in my immediate area is great. So from my perspective, problems, what problems? But, if you think that "full strut" dekes are that good, I guarantee that one will be a part of my deal next season. That is, unless they are outlawed. lol

I am serious, killing a field turkey with a strutter decoy is the easiest form of hunting I have seen in my life. It honestly is a joke.

I used to hunt AL since I lived so close in Miss, and it was nothing to get stopped by GW's on the road in bama and have them inquire and even look for decoys. Or wait for you at the gate. It was a dark day when they legalized decoys in that state, and was the last season I leased/hunted AL for turkeys. For me and many others the cradle of turkey hunting was tainted when the rules were changed.

#1330911 - 05/17/09 09:38 PM Re: 2009 Harvest Totals [Re: peytoncreekhunter]
captain hook
10 Point

Originally Posted By: peytoncreekhunter
 Originally Posted By: bsl
Captain I do rember that you killed turkey in different places last year and 3 in one spot this year.that is not the point.Just seems odd that you keep pushing for lower limits yet keep blasting away.After you fill you tags you talk about taking other people out to fill thier tags.

also if I am wrong about the hatch last year why were there so many jakes killed and passed up this year?Why have you also talked about the good hatch from last year in so many posts?

If anything I should be completely against dropping back as my seasons will last a matter of days versus weeks.

It is not my job nor responsibility to self regulate because the state can't regulate to ensure good flock numbers. If 4 is too many then the limit shouldn't be set so high.

I'm not sure I follow your thinkging CH. Do you mean since you shoot your 4 birds in a matter of days it is OK and if someone else takes all season to shoot 4 birds they are hurting the flock? Isn't 4 dead birds 4 dead birds not matter how long it takes to shoot them.

As far as you shooting 4 birds since that is the limit and you are not going to regulate yourself since the state isn't, does that mean you are going to start shooting spikes during deer season (and not let them mature and reproduce) since the state doesn't regulate the shooting of spikes?

Just trying to figure out what you mean.

I mean that the 4 bird limit is causing far too many birds to be killed each spring, especially jakes which is effecting the hunting statewide as evidenced by the decline in harvests since it's inception. Combine it with our liberal fall seasons and the handwriting is clear on the wall.

Sure I kill 4 birds, and have since the limit was changed. If the state is so convinced it is a good thing then why should I alter my hunting?

If the limit was 100 it wouldn't effect me or the birds I hunt. Most of the birds I hunt never get hunted, and those that do couldn't kill one if their life depended on it, unless they used bait.

If I shot 3 spikes each season it would effect my hunting. If I shoot 1 longbeard in Scott Cty, 1 in Claiborne, and 2 in Campbell it will not have any adverse effect from year to year based on how spread out my harvests are.

I also think that most people do not shoot 4 birds, but the high limit devalues each tag and thus results in more jakes getting shot which in turn effects the numbers of mature gobblers in the flock as a whole.

The 4 bird limit would be fine, but cap the jake limit at 1, and things would even out. Also, drop the fall seasons, or make them hen only.

Turkey season setting should be dynamic and change based on flock condition, however due to the lack of foresight at the state level we set regs before we know anything about hatches or harvests, and it is a recipe for disaster.

#1330953 - 05/17/09 10:27 PM Re: 2009 Harvest Totals [Re: captain hook]
bsl
10 Point

Loc: knox,tn.

outlaw decoys.

Yes, yes and yes. Especially the full strut decoys, IMO they are causing an excessive number of birds to die that normally would not and allowing hunters who normally would get culled to fill tags. Thus further damaging a population that in many places is on its heels.
You guys are kidding, right? I don't happen to own a "full strut" decoy, and turkeys do decoy rather easily. Maybe not easily, but certainly improves your odds when the turkey that you are calling actually sees "the turkey" thats making the noise. But, duh, who is going to be the enforcers? I can see it now, a vehicle drives up to my locked gate, and several black clad people pile out and run down my road and into the middle of my set yelling "turkey police!, turkey police!" lol The days of decoys are here, and rescinding their use would not be practical, or even possible for that matter. And my season was great, because the population(at least this year)in my immediate area is great. So from my perspective, problems, what problems? But, if you think that "full strut" dekes are that good, I guarantee that one will be a part of my deal next season. That is, unless they are outlawed. lol

I am serious, killing a field turkey with a strutter decoy is the easiest form of hunting I have seen in my life. It honestly is a joke.

I used to hunt AL since I lived so close in Miss, and it was nothing to get stopped by GW's on the road in bama and have them inquire and even look for decoys. Or wait for you at the gate. It was a dark day when they legalized decoys in that state, and was the last season I leased/hunted AL for turkeys. For me and many others the cradle of turkey hunting was tainted when the rules were changed.

Decoys are not a sure thing.I have read where people have had as many turkey spook from strut decoys as they have brought in.It is a joke to say they are a sure thing or make it unfair for the turkey.I don't use decoys much but most of my friends do and they don't have gobblers run in to thier gobbler decoys.What a joke thinking it is the end of turkey hunting.

#1331017 - 05/18/09 05:39 AM Re: 2009 Harvest Totals [Re: Bohuntr]
captain hook
10 Point

Originally Posted By: Bohuntr
From the TWRA harvest data, is it possible for us to know how many hunters took 4 turkeys, how many took 3, and so on? That would be interesting to know.

It is possible to say how many killed X turkeys, but it is irrelevant because we do not have any idea how many turkey hunters there are statewide.

#1331019 - 05/18/09 05:42 AM Re: 2009 Harvest Totals [Re: bsl]
captain hook
10 Point

Originally Posted By: bsl
outlaw decoys.

Decoys are not a sure thing.I have read where people have had as many turkey spook from strut decoys as they have brought in.It is a joke to say they are a sure thing or make it unfair for the turkey.I don't use decoys much but most of my friends do and they don't have gobblers run in to thier gobbler decoys.What a joke thinking it is the end of turkey hunting.

I have heard of the rare bird which shys away, but it is certainly the exception. I am not saying it is ruining turkey hunting, but it certainly has changed it to deer hunting with decoys for many folks. Many folks are killing more birds now because of the full strut decoys, not because of skill but because of a product then ever before. It is a joke, bottom line, if you need a piece of plastic to bring your birds to you then why bother? My question would be, do these folks know how or what it is to hear a bird, move to a good set-up, and call that bird down the gun barrel? I would say some do, but many would be clueless.

Page 10 of 10 « First<678910

Moderator:  RUGER, Bobby G, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck, Grizzly Johnson 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
ULTIMATE TARGETS, Philski, Original Booger, yankeeinthesouth, PEhunter
13293 Registered Users
Who's Online
102 registered (Deerhunter, woodsman87, doubledownranch, infoman jr., Philski, ADR, 10 invisible) and 148 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13293 Members
42 Forums
85452 Topics
1032564 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.213 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.