Page 8 of 10 « First<678910>
Topic Options
#1324738 - 05/12/09 12:24 PM Re: 2009 Harvest Totals [Re: REN]
VolDoug
TnDeer Old Timer
10 Point

Loc: Plateau

Originally Posted By: REN

you do know many states still dont allow decoys and it is enforced. I Hunted in Bama my whole life and they were

"Were" is an important word in that sentence. What other states outlaw decoys?

#1324777 - 05/12/09 12:47 PM Re: 2009 Harvest Totals [Re: VolDoug]
REN
Good ol' Boys "Team Grizzly"
12 Point

Loc: Wilson County, TN

Originally Posted By: VolDoug

you do know many states still dont allow decoys and it is enforced. I Hunted in Bama my whole life and they were

"Were" is an important word in that sentence. What other states outlaw decoys?

from a quick search looks like IN and a few midwest states but I didnt look very hard.

does it really matter which ones? i mean it is illegal to hunt with an electronic turkey call here but hard to enforce yet people dont really try to get away with it. There is alot about hunting that is hard to enforce and again it is on the hunter to follow the law.

John 3:16

#1324822 - 05/12/09 01:19 PM Re: 2009 Harvest Totals [Re: REN]
VolDoug
TnDeer Old Timer
10 Point

Loc: Plateau

does it really matter which ones?

Well, actually it does, because I knew that Alabama only started allowing them a few years ago. They had been the only state I had ever heard of that outlawed them.

BTW, Indiana does allow them from what I found.

All other regulations pertaining to spring turkey hunting apply (e.g. shot sizes, gauges, non-electironic decoys allowed, no electronic calls, no baiting and no dogs).

http://www.wildturkeyzone.com/hunting/States/indiana.htm

When people make blanket statements, I just like to have some verification. It helps me decide whether their posts are credible.

#1324899 - 05/12/09 02:28 PM Re: 2009 Harvest Totals [Re: VolDoug]
REN
12 Point

Originally Posted By: VolDoug

does it really matter which ones?

Well, actually it does, because I knew that Alabama only started allowing them a few years ago. They had been the only state I had ever heard of that outlawed them.

BTW, Indiana does allow them from what I found.

All other regulations pertaining to spring turkey hunting apply (e.g. shot sizes, gauges, non-electironic decoys allowed, no electronic calls, no baiting and no dogs).

http://www.wildturkeyzone.com/hunting/States/indiana.htm

When people make blanket statements, I just like to have some verification. It helps me decide whether their posts are credible.

you are correct in the IN, I misread the site I was looking at. I still dont see how it DOES as you put it. Many states HAVE done it so what would be different for a state to do it now. I am not saying you are wrong just not understanding your logic. I mean the spinning wing decoy was legal for duck hunting and now not in alot of places so what is the big difference here?

#1324943 - 05/12/09 03:19 PM Re: 2009 Harvest Totals [Re: REN]
4onaside
12 Point

Loc: Jackson,Tn

content Online
 Originally Posted By: 4onaside
 Originally Posted By: captain hook
 Originally Posted By: deerlawyer
outlaw decoys.

Yes, yes and yes. Especially the full strut decoys, IMO they are causing an excessive number of birds to die that normally would not and allowing hunters who normally would get culled to fill tags. Thus further damaging a population that in many places is on its heels.
You guys are kidding, right? I don't happen to own a "full strut" decoy, and turkeys do decoy rather easily. Maybe not easily, but certainly improves your odds when the turkey that you are calling actually sees "the turkey" thats making the noise. But, duh, who is going to be the enforcers? I can see it now, a vehicle drives up to my locked gate, and several black clad people pile out and run down my road and into the middle of my set yelling "turkey police!, turkey police!" lol The days of decoys are here, and rescinding their use would not be practical, or even possible for that matter. And my season was great, because the population(at least this year)in my immediate area is great. So from my perspective, problems, what problems? But, if you think that "full strut" dekes are that good, I guarantee that one will be a part of my deal next season. That is, unless they are outlawed. lol

you do know many states still dont allow decoys and it is enforced. I Hunted in Bama my whole life and they were illegal down there and I was checked a number of times while out in the field.
Granted, easy enough to enforce AS LONG AS THEY HAVE NEVER BEEN LEGAL, like Alabama was. But kinda like liquor by the drink. Once its in place it would be the deuce to rescind. Can you imagine the lobbying that would be going on by the decoy manufacturers!

#1324963 - 05/12/09 03:38 PM Re: 2009 Harvest Totals [Re: turkeyhunter]
LA man
16 Point

Loc: spencer, tn/houma, la.

just drop the limit to 3, i would be happy. and for the record i didnt get a single bird this year

#1325013 - 05/12/09 04:35 PM Re: 2009 Harvest Totals [Re: captain hook]
peytoncreekhunter
8 Point

Loc: Hermitage

Originally Posted By: bsl
Captain I do rember that you killed turkey in different places last year and 3 in one spot this year.that is not the point.Just seems odd that you keep pushing for lower limits yet keep blasting away.After you fill you tags you talk about taking other people out to fill thier tags.

also if I am wrong about the hatch last year why were there so many jakes killed and passed up this year?Why have you also talked about the good hatch from last year in so many posts?

If anything I should be completely against dropping back as my seasons will last a matter of days versus weeks.

It is not my job nor responsibility to self regulate because the state can't regulate to ensure good flock numbers. If 4 is too many then the limit shouldn't be set so high.

I'm not sure I follow your thinkging CH. Do you mean since you shoot your 4 birds in a matter of days it is OK and if someone else takes all season to shoot 4 birds they are hurting the flock? Isn't 4 dead birds 4 dead birds not matter how long it takes to shoot them.

As far as you shooting 4 birds since that is the limit and you are not going to regulate yourself since the state isn't, does that mean you are going to start shooting spikes during deer season (and not let them mature and reproduce) since the state doesn't regulate the shooting of spikes?

Just trying to figure out what you mean.

#1325046 - 05/12/09 05:19 PM Re: 2009 Harvest Totals [Re: peytoncreekhunter]
bsl
10 Point

Loc: knox,tn.

Very good point peyton.i am sure we will here from him soon on your post.lol
#1325056 - 05/12/09 05:33 PM Re: 2009 Harvest Totals [Re: 4onaside]
REN
12 Point

Originally Posted By: deerlawyer
outlaw decoys.

Yes, yes and yes. Especially the full strut decoys, IMO they are causing an excessive number of birds to die that normally would not and allowing hunters who normally would get culled to fill tags. Thus further damaging a population that in many places is on its heels.
You guys are kidding, right? I don't happen to own a "full strut" decoy, and turkeys do decoy rather easily. Maybe not easily, but certainly improves your odds when the turkey that you are calling actually sees "the turkey" thats making the noise. But, duh, who is going to be the enforcers? I can see it now, a vehicle drives up to my locked gate, and several black clad people pile out and run down my road and into the middle of my set yelling "turkey police!, turkey police!" lol The days of decoys are here, and rescinding their use would not be practical, or even possible for that matter. And my season was great, because the population(at least this year)in my immediate area is great. So from my perspective, problems, what problems? But, if you think that "full strut" dekes are that good, I guarantee that one will be a part of my deal next season. That is, unless they are outlawed. lol

you do know many states still dont allow decoys and it is enforced. I Hunted in Bama my whole life and they were illegal down there and I was checked a number of times while out in the field.
Granted, easy enough to enforce AS LONG AS THEY HAVE NEVER BEEN LEGAL, like Alabama was. But kinda like liquor by the drink. Once its in place it would be the deuce to rescind. Can you imagine the lobbying that would be going on by the decoy manufacturers!

I am not real sure how alchol and turkey decoys are even in the same ball park? I mean the scale of people between the 2 are not even close not to mention the addictive nature of drinking itself. I have done with and without and don't really care either way but the decoy lobbying I doubt would be an issue. If lobbying for such can be so strong toward regs why are duck hunting companys not changing the way TN currently limits the amout of people that COULD be out doing to just the select few lucky enough to get drawn or the grandfathered in folks

#1325068 - 05/12/09 05:56 PM Re: 2009 Harvest Totals [Re: REN]
bsl
10 Point

Loc: knox,tn.

I don't really understand people wanting to ban b mobile type decoys.They are far from a sure thing.I have heard as much bad about them as good.I don't use decoys most of the time but I am not going to push for a ban on them.It seems like another way of people trying to push how they hunt on others.
Page 8 of 10 « First<678910>

Moderator:  RUGER, Bobby G, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck, Grizzly Johnson 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
fghijk604245, top_of_the_foodchain, infantryleadtheway, ftwstn, Wild hog 44
13286 Registered Users
Who's Online
91 registered (Kimberman, BamaProud, CAW, slagtown_dfa, ghostfive, jmb4wd, 12 invisible) and 140 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13286 Members
42 Forums
85298 Topics
1030900 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.268 seconds in which 0.019 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.