Topic Options
#1323651 - 05/11/09 01:19 PM Re: 2009 Harvest Totals [Re: Hillbilly Hunter]
REN
Good ol' Boys "Team Grizzly"
12 Point

Loc: Wilson County, TN

Originally Posted By: Hillbilly Hunter
 Originally Posted By: REN
the regs are what they are, if 4 is to many for your place THEN DONT KILL 4 off it. pretty simple to me if you dont agree with the regs.

I hunt 2 main pieces of property. The population on the bigger track has been down the past 2 years for whatever reason so guess what...I didnt kill a single bird off that one the past 2 years. the other piece of property they are like rats so I shot 3 off it the past 2 years and got the 4th on someone elses property.

point being I have killed 1 bird off a 500acre piece of property yet the population still seems to stay low....obviously the limit has nothing to do with that.

I dont agree with a 1 limit but would be fine if they lowered it to 3. I dont hunt them in fall so that doesnt matter to me. As I have said before my personal opinion is way to much blame is being put on the limit rather then natural causes.

What has been killed off the surrounding farms, that is the unknown. You may have hunters next door hammering them that you don't know about.

actually i DO know. One side is all river with 50ft cliff. The other 2 sides are HUGE cow farms that the owner does not allow hunting on, no birds can roost over there so not much of a point of it.

sure the birds will come and go and they will fly the river but OVERALL other factors rather then the limit come in to play on this piece of property

John 3:16

#1323652 - 05/11/09 01:22 PM Re: 2009 Harvest Totals [Re: DaltonsDad]
REN
12 Point

Originally Posted By: DaltonsDad
4 is 2 many and that doesnt even count the number of poached birds that dont get checked in. 2 is a good number besides thiers bonus birds to be had.

do you think the POACHING will stop with a 1 bird limit? i mean a man is going to poach regardless of the limit.

I just cant stress enough that to ME (me being the key word here) that sportsman have to take responsibility at some point for their actions. If your property cant take it then dont shoot them.

I do understand the Neighbor affect but i still think common causes are more at root here then set bag limits.

#1323654 - 05/11/09 01:25 PM Re: 2009 Harvest Totals [Re: captain hook]
megalomaniac
12 Point

Loc: Mississippi

Wow, so far in this thread there are many more for reducing the limit than keeping it the same. I know it's early, but that's a BIG change from a similar thread last year.
#1323659 - 05/11/09 01:28 PM Re: 2009 Harvest Totals [Re: megalomaniac]
REN
12 Point

just to be clear on my part, i dont really care what the limit is....if it was 1 then so be it, i will still be out in the woods giving them hell lol...My wife would LOVE for it to be 1 so i can be done hunting opening weekend hahahaha

I just think the LIMIT is getting more of the reasoning then it actually deserves.

#1323695 - 05/11/09 01:59 PM Re: 2009 Harvest Totals [Re: REN]
Hillbilly Hunter
Killbilly
16 Point

Loc: Branchville

I don't think the limit is the cause of the decline, but it is hurting the population now that we had 3 or 4 poor hatchings in a row. Rocket nets have hurt my population followed by three years of poor hatchings. I saw alot of jakes this year, so mayber we are on the rebound. The liberal limit will slow this down, that is my concern.

#1323745 - 05/11/09 03:12 PM Re: 2009 Harvest Totals [Re: Hillbilly Hunter]
Lawrence
8 Point

Loc: MT. Juliet Tennessee

Ok my question is about bag limits and season length's in Tennessee. Why is it when it comes to DEER and TURKEYS that Tennessee has these liberal bag limits. Is it a south thing? There are midwest states like MO, that have more birds and alot more deer but have more conservative bag limits and shorter seasons. I was born and raised in Franklin Co Mo. which is the #1 county for both spring and fall turkey harvest in the state year after year. Mo has a three week season with a 2 bird limit and they kill more birds in that three week season than Tn does in 6 weeks. Can someone help to explain this

BOOM

#1323783 - 05/11/09 03:59 PM Re: 2009 Harvest Totals [Re: Lawrence]
8 POINTS OR BETTER
10 Point

Loc: Hardin, Co.

Originally Posted By: Lawrence
Ok my question is about bag limits and season length's in Tennessee. Why is it when it comes to DEER and TURKEYS that Tennessee has these liberal bag limits. Is it a south thing? There are midwest states like MO, that have more birds and alot more deer but have more conservative bag limits and shorter seasons. I was born and raised in Franklin Co Mo. which is the #1 county for both spring and fall turkey harvest in the state year after year. Mo has a three week season with a 2 bird limit and they kill more birds in that three week season than Tn does in 6 weeks. Can someone help to explain this

Remember when MO went to a 3 bird limit in the early 90's. It did not work for them, and their flock was way ahead of ours. Now their back to a two bird limit.

#1323812 - 05/11/09 04:23 PM Re: 2009 Harvest Totals [Re: 8 POINTS OR BETTER]
Food Plot 101
8 Point

Loc: Goodlettsville,TN USA

4 bird, 3 bird, 2 bird, it doesn't matter to me. I hunt enough different properties where taking a bird(neighbor factor excluded) isn't going to put a dent in the flock. I've got birds on one of my leases that has NEVER in my lifetime had birds. I sure have seen a ton more birds this year than in years past. That doesn't make them easier to kill. IMO, with a lot of hens ole tom doesn't have to gobble much when the hens are numerous. I've found this out first hand this year especially. One of my slam dunk areas for birds, and I mean slam dunk areas, was horrible this year. Am I whining? No. Are the birds declining in that area? They don't seem to be, judging from my deer season sightings. I think they just found another area to hang, simple. What I'm getting at is in some areas the birds are thick, some areas thin. I think terrain and available food sources are the reasons. JMO
#1323862 - 05/11/09 05:03 PM Re: 2009 Harvest Totals [Re: REN]
MRUTVOL
6 Point

Loc: Goodlettsville,Tennessee,USA

Originally Posted By: REN

I just think the LIMIT is getting more of the reasoning then it actually deserves.

I am inclined to agree with you but I also can see where in certain areas of the state where it can be a factor in the decline. I personally think it is more a combination of various factors that can cause some flocks to flourish and others to struggle from one area to another, than just one specific aspect. With weather conditions,predators,natural die offs and hunting pressures it is kind of like the "perfect storm" concept that when all these elements come into place at once then you are going to have some extremes to the negative side which is why I would be in favor of the seasons being set after all aspects can be reviewed to a degree and adjustments being made.
As for my own personal turkey hunting environment I did see more jakes than I have seen in years and more mature bids as well on one farm I hunt but on another farm just 5 miles down the road I noticed a huge difference in numbers of birds the last 3 to 4 years. Now why the difference ? It was a man made cause and it has nothing to do with the limits IMO. The farm that had such low numbers of birds,which is almost 400 acres, lays in the elk river basin and is 75% agriculture land. Unfortunately instead of it being used for crops it along with adjoining farms of even more acreage are used for growing hay in the spring. Unfortunately most of the hens are drawn to these fields to nest and guess what is fixing to happen? The farmer told me that as soon as the weather settles enough to dry up a little they will begin cutting hay in a couple weeks. This process was began on a more widespread basis on this farm about 4 years ago and I feel is the direct cause of the fall in numbers there more than any other aspect. I have jumped numerous sitting hens the last couple weeks while crossing these fields and according to the farmer he sees multiple nest destroyed while cutting and bailing hay. The other farm is a more hilly and secluded area with pastured hillsides that are not used for hay cutting so that particular cause and effect is not present on that farm.Of course this would not apply to all property but in this case I feel it is the main cause. Of course the farmer could care less about the turkeys cause his interest is in his cattle.

I have no problem with the limit being 2 or 4 ,either works for me. I killed 3 and could have had 4 but was hoping to kill a certain unique bird that I just did not get a chance at. I do find it somewhat hypocritical of some who do complain loudy about the limit being to high but either kill their 4 birds or try and hunt up until the last day to get their 4 birds anyway. Its kind of like that "Do as I say but not as I do" thinking.

#1323874 - 05/11/09 05:16 PM Re: 2009 Harvest Totals [Re: captain hook]
renegade50
16 Point

Loc: tn

exactly

a tax paying worker voting for a democrat
is like a chicken voting for colonel sanders

Page 4 of 10 « First<23456>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Bobby G, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck, Grizzly Johnson 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
PEhunter, Amy pesterfield, Blood seeker, fghijk604245, top_of_the_foodchain
13289 Registered Users
Who's Online
85 registered (Bar7mag, letsgohunting, jakerri, Mudbone, rustyloafer, Deerhunter, 8 invisible) and 204 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13289 Members
42 Forums
85375 Topics
1031639 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.241 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.