Loc: Jackson,Tn

Originally Posted By: REN
 Originally Posted By: 4onaside
 Originally Posted By: captain hook
 Originally Posted By: deerlawyer
outlaw decoys.

Yes, yes and yes. Especially the full strut decoys, IMO they are causing an excessive number of birds to die that normally would not and allowing hunters who normally would get culled to fill tags. Thus further damaging a population that in many places is on its heels.
You guys are kidding, right? I don't happen to own a "full strut" decoy, and turkeys do decoy rather easily. Maybe not easily, but certainly improves your odds when the turkey that you are calling actually sees "the turkey" thats making the noise. But, duh, who is going to be the enforcers? I can see it now, a vehicle drives up to my locked gate, and several black clad people pile out and run down my road and into the middle of my set yelling "turkey police!, turkey police!" lol The days of decoys are here, and rescinding their use would not be practical, or even possible for that matter. And my season was great, because the population(at least this year)in my immediate area is great. So from my perspective, problems, what problems? But, if you think that "full strut" dekes are that good, I guarantee that one will be a part of my deal next season. That is, unless they are outlawed. lol

you do know many states still dont allow decoys and it is enforced. I Hunted in Bama my whole life and they were illegal down there and I was checked a number of times while out in the field.
Granted, easy enough to enforce AS LONG AS THEY HAVE NEVER BEEN LEGAL, like Alabama was. But kinda like liquor by the drink. Once its in place it would be the deuce to rescind. Can you imagine the lobbying that would be going on by the decoy manufacturers!

I am not real sure how alchol and turkey decoys are even in the same ball park? I mean the scale of people between the 2 are not even close not to mention the addictive nature of drinking itself. I have done with and without and don't really care either way but the decoy lobbying I doubt would be an issue. If lobbying for such can be so strong toward regs why are duck hunting companys not changing the way TN currently limits the amout of people that COULD be out doing to just the select few lucky enough to get drawn or the grandfathered in folks
 Originally Posted By: captain hook
 Originally Posted By: deerlawyer
outlaw decoys.

Yes, yes and yes. Especially the full strut decoys, IMO they are causing an excessive number of birds to die that normally would not and allowing hunters who normally would get culled to fill tags. Thus further damaging a population that in many places is on its heels.
You guys are kidding, right? I don't happen to own a "full strut" decoy, and turkeys do decoy rather easily. Maybe not easily, but certainly improves your odds when the turkey that you are calling actually sees "the turkey" thats making the noise. But, duh, who is going to be the enforcers? I can see it now, a vehicle drives up to my locked gate, and several black clad people pile out and run down my road and into the middle of my set yelling "turkey police!, turkey police!" lol The days of decoys are here, and rescinding their use would not be practical, or even possible for that matter. And my season was great, because the population(at least this year)in my immediate area is great. So from my perspective, problems, what problems? But, if you think that "full strut" dekes are that good, I guarantee that one will be a part of my deal next season. That is, unless they are outlawed. lol

you do know many states still dont allow decoys and it is enforced. I Hunted in Bama my whole life and they were illegal down there and I was checked a number of times while out in the field.
Granted, easy enough to enforce AS LONG AS THEY HAVE NEVER BEEN LEGAL, like Alabama was. But kinda like liquor by the drink. Once its in place it would be the deuce to rescind. Can you imagine the lobbying that would be going on by the decoy manufacturers!

I am not real sure how alchol and turkey decoys are even in the same ball park? I mean the scale of people between the 2 are not even close not to mention the addictive nature of drinking itself. I have done with and without and don't really care either way but the decoy lobbying I doubt would be an issue. If lobbying for such can be so strong toward regs why are duck hunting companys not changing the way TN currently limits the amout of people that COULD be out doing to just the select few lucky enough to get drawn or the grandfathered in folks
Sorry man, the point was that once something is in place, it is very difficult to change it. I lived in Memphis most of my life and liquor by the drink was voted on several times and it failed. Then after being on the ballot again, and again it passed. It has never been voted on since, a done deal. It will never be voted on again. That's the correlation between alcohol and turkey regs. Once anything is in place it is very difficult to undo. Fortunately, I doubt if the people who make the turkey regs would be swayed by two or three guys on a forum who think that it would be a good idea to ban dekes, as opposed to thousands who enjoy using them.

#1325177 - 05/12/09 07:51 PM Re: 2009 Harvest Totals [Re: bsl]
Huntaholic
8 Point

Loc: Baxter, TN. U.S.A.

Im with captain hook, if the limit is 4 then Im gonna do my damned best to kill 4. The difference is WHERE I kill them! I wish it would go back to 2 and 2! Last year here at the house I was seeing 16 lbs and 13 jakes prior to opening day. We killed 6 here last year. All summer long I was seeing anywhere from 20 to 100 hens and poults a day here in the yard. Fall came and they were GONE. They never came back either. Im convinced they DIED. This year there was 5 lbs and 6 jakes here. I let 1 lb and 1 jake be killed. There has NEVER been a hen killed here spring or fall. I wont allow it. I was around in the days before there were turkeys anywhere around here, and keeping those hens is the key to the future.

#1325202 - 05/12/09 08:08 PM Re: 2009 Harvest Totals [Re: turkeyhunter]
easy45
Non-Typical

Loc: Chester County

4 is too many but we can only take one either sex during the fall, how is that a high limit

#1325298 - 05/12/09 08:54 PM Re: 2009 Harvest Totals [Re: easy45]
warrent423
6 Point

Loc: Tenn. McMinn, Athens

Plenty of gobblers left to hunt fer next year in south cherokee. Huntin pressure garantee's it. I ain't got to hear turkeys gobble to know they are their. As fer private farms and leases, those turkeys don't mean sh## to me.
#1325311 - 05/12/09 08:59 PM Re: 2009 Harvest Totals [Re: Huntaholic]
bsl
10 Point

Loc: knox,tn.

Originally Posted By: Huntaholic
Im with captain hook, if the limit is 4 then Im gonna do my damned best to kill 4. The difference is WHERE I kill them! I wish it would go back to 2 and 2! Last year here at the house I was seeing 16 lbs and 13 jakes prior to opening day. We killed 6 here last year. All summer long I was seeing anywhere from 20 to 100 hens and poults a day here in the yard. Fall came and they were GONE. They never came back either. Im convinced they DIED. This year there was 5 lbs and 6 jakes here. I let 1 lb and 1 jake be killed. There has NEVER been a hen killed here spring or fall. I wont allow it. I was around in the days before there were turkeys anywhere around here, and keeping those hens is the key to the future.

you had 100 hens and poults get killed during the fall season?Or are you talking about poachers?there is no way legal hunters killed all of those hens during the fall.did you ever think that maybe the turkey moved on to greener pasture.Unless you have a big poaching problem those turkey are still around somewhere.Maybe just not in your yard.

#1325791 - 05/13/09 09:08 AM Re: 2009 Harvest Totals [Re: bsl]
REN
Good ol' Boys "Team Grizzly"
12 Point

Loc: Wilson County, TN

content Online
I hear you 4onaside, I am not really for or against banning decs just trying to see your side is all. Personally I could care less if they did or didnt because I have hunted in states where I couldnt use them and ones that you can so to me I could do either.

John 3:16

#1326097 - 05/13/09 01:25 PM Re: 2009 Harvest Totals [Re: bsl]
Huntaholic
8 Point

Originally Posted By: bsl

you had 100 hens and poults get killed during the fall season?Or are you talking about poachers?there is no way legal hunters killed all of those hens during the fall.did you ever think that maybe the turkey moved on to greener pasture.Unless you have a big poaching problem those turkey are still around somewhere.Maybe just not in your yard.

If they were ANYWHERE around I would know about it. ;\) Wanna know what I think has happened to our turkey population, not just here, but in pockets all across the state? Im all but convinced some type of disease hit them and decimated the population in some areas. Just like EHD did to the deer herd in places, Im all but sure something along those lines is what happened to our turkey population.

#1326244 - 05/13/09 03:36 PM Re: 2009 Harvest Totals [Re: easy45]
Huntaholic
8 Point

Originally Posted By: easy45
4 is too many but we can only take one either sex during the fall, how is that a high limit

Some of the counties allow ,ultiple birds per permit. in addition to that, all leftover permits go on sale after the draw and you can buy as many as you want to. I know some guys who have had as many as 9 permits each and they kill em by the truck full!

#1326287 - 05/13/09 04:11 PM Re: 2009 Harvest Totals [Re: Huntaholic]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

Wanna know what I think has happened to our turkey population, not just here, but in pockets all across the state? Im all but convinced some type of disease hit them and decimated the population in some areas. Just like EHD did to the deer herd in places, Im all but sure something along those lines is what happened to our turkey population.

In some areas, that "disease" has been aflatoxin.
The worse news is that the prevalence of aflatoxin killing turkeys will likely get worse each year until more awareness is raised.

#1326312 - 05/13/09 04:52 PM Re: 2009 Harvest Totals [Re: Huntaholic]
megalomaniac
12 Point

Loc: Mississippi

Originally Posted By: easy45

Some of the counties allow ,ultiple birds per permit. in addition to that, all leftover permits go on sale after the draw and you can buy as many as you want to. I know some guys who have had as many as 9 permits each and they kill em by the truck full!

I've heard a report secondhand from the county next door's gamewarden that one fellow took 40-something turkeys last fall with leftover permits off one localized area!!!

Page 9 of 10 « First<678910>

Moderator:  RUGER, Bobby G, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck, Grizzly Johnson 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
fghijk604245, top_of_the_foodchain, infantryleadtheway, ftwstn, Wild hog 44
13286 Registered Users
Who's Online
71 registered (landman, stik, chasinsmallies, lung-buster, beachguy, Rob R., 8 invisible) and 133 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13286 Members
42 Forums
85343 Topics
1031257 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.256 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.