Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#1313537 - 05/03/09 10:42 PM Problematic birds....
Polecat
10 Point

Loc: Burns, Tn. USA

Here it is drawing down to the final week of spring season. Been some highs and some low points to this season. One that keeps comming up is that of the problematic gobbler. You know the one. The one that throws you off your game, the one that gets inside of your head and causes you not to want to kill any other bird save one or in my case two. I have pics of them and am convinced he's 3+ years in age. His buddy is probably a 2 year old perhaps 3. I've encountered them several times this year. Their personality is like that of same sex siblings, quite the opposite of the other. One I refer to as being loud mouthed and quite boisterous, almost to the point of arrogance. The other is very quite, cautious, and deciding. Had it had a military background I'm quite sure it would have been a recon scout. They often travel together, the quiet one always out front leading the way in silence while his buddy stays 10- 20 yards behind gobbling his head off. I like to think of him as the diversionary tactic. While you're focused on the loud mouth the quiet one has slipped in looked things over and left taking his buddy with him in search of an encounter with a less dangerous female.
Their latest, visit the camera in front of my trophy rock in full strut in the middle of the day. I have some awesome pics of two birds who are probably telling me in their own way, "Enjoy the pic's Fatboy, as this is as close as you're ever going to get to putting us on the wall."
Early this year they did make a mistake by following some hens that responded to some light purring and scratching in the leaves. That incident almost got one killed and there's a dead hickory sapling in the woods and I'm sure he has a few copper plated #5's in his breast to show for it. Rookie mistake reinforced on canting the gun. Just 'cause you can't see the sapling in the scope doesn't mean that it's not directly in front of the barrel of your gun. All they need to do is make one more mistake and allow me to be there gun in hand. Either the quiet one or the loud mouth is gonna be a fan and cape on the wall with their spurs joining the others on my necklace.

Count down to May 10th when it will be decided.

#1313872 - 05/04/09 09:23 AM Re: Problematic birds.... [Re: ]
CopperHead77
12 Point

Loc: Hickman Co.

Originally Posted By: captain hook
It is odd for me but I have no problematic gobblers, there is almost no birds gobbling anywhere I hunt. Which covers about 150 miles. Every bird but a couple that has answered me has died this season with the exception of a couple, either at my hands or someone with me.

I would just like to hear some gobbling before the season closes.

I can't even imagine not hearing anything in that much area,wow.

#1313905 - 05/04/09 09:53 AM Re: Problematic birds.... [Re: Polecat]
VolDoug
TnDeer Old Timer
10 Point

Loc: Plateau

Originally Posted By: Polecat
"Enjoy the pic's Fatboy, as this is as close as you're ever going to get to putting us on the wall."

\:D That's good!

I've had a few of those. Thankfully, none this year though.

I kind of like hunting those kind of birds, though. They are the ones you remember as the years pass!

Keep after them, as you never know when they will break and come in on a string!

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  RUGER, Bobby G, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, Grizzly Johnson 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
bootsinsand, bigun714, clh200, tlwilliams, Forvols
13179 Registered Users
Who's Online
99 registered (Model70Man, diamond hunter, WhitesCreek, Weaz, SALTMAN, Master Chief, 13 invisible) and 137 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13179 Members
42 Forums
90900 Topics
1062230 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.058 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.