Tndeer Logo

Page 4 of 4 <1234
Topic Options
#1300803 - 04/23/09 02:28 AM Re: Depleting Gobbling Genetics??? [Re: Game Eye]
captain hook
10 Point

Loc: Knoxville

Originally Posted By: Game Eye
Hunting pressure fellas, plain and simple... I'm tellin ya...

I agree with you, too many folks hammer their birds pre season and the first week or so, and wonder why they disappear. They put way too much pressure on the birds when the birds are totally locked down with hens.

#1300909 - 04/23/09 07:06 AM Re: Depleting Gobbling Genetics??? [Re: captain hook]
CopperHead77
12 Point

Loc: Hickman Co.

I realize a bird doesn't have to gobble,but come on, at some point,he won't have hens,they'll be nesting,uninterested..whatever..he will gobble!! But again,I've never hunted a spot that was full of gobblers that wouldn't gobble so I'm just going off of personal experience.

#1300911 - 04/23/09 07:07 AM Re: Depleting Gobbling Genetics??? [Re: captain hook]
CopperHead77
12 Point

Loc: Hickman Co.

Originally Posted By: captain hook
 Originally Posted By: Game Eye
Hunting pressure fellas, plain and simple... I'm tellin ya...

I agree with you, too many folks hammer their birds pre season and the first week or so, and wonder why they disappear. They put way too much pressure on the birds when the birds are totally locked down with hens.

Agree also.

#1301071 - 04/23/09 09:18 AM Re: Depleting Gobbling Genetics??? [Re: ghosthunter]
REN
Good ol' Boys "Team Grizzly"
12 Point

Loc: Wilson County, TN

Originally Posted By: ghosthunter
 Originally Posted By: REN
TO ME it makes no sense. Rattle snakes yeah because it is a adaptation of survival but turkeys gobbling or not will not make a huge impact on survival so there is no real need to adapt

The snakes not rattling may be mother nature's way of survival for the rattle snakes but I doubt that the snakes are smart enough to say, hey if I rattle I will get killed. Same for the birds. The birds I kill, I'm sure the same is for about eveyone else, are the ones that gobble. If they don't gobble I really don't have anything to hunt, therefore leaving the non gobbling birds to survive. Now if this is the situation I'm not sure and I certainly hope not, but it does make a lot of sense. BTW a gobbler doesn't need to gobble to find hens. The hens will do enough talking themselves.

right but not ALL people hunt turkeys by calling and setting up on a vocal bird. I would even estimate that a large percentage of people deer hunt them which will have no impact on a bird gobbling or not.

again i am not arguing that some areas gobble more then others and that pressure as well as hens will play a MAJOR role in the vocalization of a turkey but IS it genetic that a bird would not gobble because people are killing the ones that do??? I dont think so.

John 3:16

#1309474 - 04/30/09 05:46 PM Re: Depleting Gobbling Genetics??? [Re: REN]
deerlawyer
4 Point

Loc: tn

no. the more gobblers around, the more they gobble. the fewer in an area, less gobbling and more sensitive to pressure.
#1309523 - 04/30/09 06:35 PM Re: Depleting Gobbling Genetics??? [Re: captain hook]
Hatchee
6 Point

Loc: West Tennessee

Originally Posted By: captain hook
Huntaholic, I hope you are directing your post towards me. I have been fortunate to hunt turkeys in the areas which Tom Kelly writes about, and they gobble great when not henned up beyond recognition.

I will say that some parts of the SE birds gobble more then others, the valley birds here gobble like idiots, while the mtn birds are less vocal on average.

Hook, I've hunted a lot of those places too. We hunted an island in the Mississippi River back in the 80's that probably had more turkeys per acre than anywhere I've ever been, I mean every little clearing you came up to, there'd be turkeys in it. I've never heard less gobbling and seen more turkeys. You'd yelp and you'd just as soon shoot over their heads. I was hunting with guys that their Grandaddys had turkey hunted these same woods. (Generational hunting pressure) Genetic or pressure? Probably a little of both. The challenge was to adapt and kill 'em anyway.
I will say that my personal honey holes have gotten harder to hunt (call/work birds) with more hens.

#1309606 - 04/30/09 07:32 PM Re: Depleting Gobbling Genetics??? [Re: Hatchee]
captain hook
10 Point

Loc: Knoxville

Some of the hardest turkeys I have ever hunted were in areas with massive populations. The more turkeys the more hens, and the harder things are IMO.

On my land in Miss we did all this habitat work to improve the turkey numbers, well it worked much better then expected. We literally had turkeys coming out of our ears, and for 5 years killing them was hard as dammit. Then a huge flood came through and wiped out nests one year, from then forward the population got knocked back and we started killing the crap out of them again. Until this year, and now the population spike has started again.

Page 4 of 4 <1234

Moderator:  RUGER, Bobby G, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck, Grizzly Johnson 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Amy pesterfield, Blood seeker, fghijk604245, top_of_the_foodchain, infantryleadtheway
13288 Registered Users
Who's Online
88 registered (Boll Weevil, Southpaw, Turkeyhunter81, TNRazorback, Gobblrgttr, TNRifleman, 11 invisible) and 128 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13288 Members
42 Forums
85364 Topics
1031484 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.235 seconds in which 0.011 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.