Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#1309531 - 04/30/09 06:44 PM Crappie $450 a lb - Be careful
8up
Good ol' Boys
10 Point

Loc: Stewart co.

I went out about 9:30 this morning to drown a few minners. They were calling for some rain so for the first time ever I put on rain gear. The bite was slow, starting off with a 10" channel cat. Over the next couple hours I caught 9 crappie with 5 of them being short. I had taken three rods with me and had two hung up in the branches of the downed tree I was fishing and the third rod was rigged for bass. So I lifted my rear anchor and let the wind drift me into where I could get untangled.

Now here is where it got exciting. I am on a pond in a 12' V bottom boat. I went to the front on the boat and grabbed the anchor rope and started pulling. The boat glided toward the anchor and this is the point that something went terribly wrong. Somehow water was coming over the side of the boat. I tried leaning to the other side to stop this from happening but that didn't work. The boat was sinking. I went under with it but managed to get myself out and tried to climb onto the bottom side of the very back of the boat. This wasn't working either as the boat was just being pushed down and it tisted and I went under again. At this point I was under water with full rain gear with the sleeves full of water and it zipped up. To make matters worse I had on Muck boots just shy of knee high. I couldn't get back to the top the jacket sleeves being full of water and the boots were holding me down. I managed to get the jacket unzipped but the elastic at the wrist were still holding it to me. When I finally got free of it I got to the top of the water and took one look for the bank and started swimming. I really did not think I would make it but I had to try. I remember thinking they will find me floating tonight.

I looked up and saw a branch sticking out of the water and swam as hard as I could for it. Reaching it I hoped it was attached to something bigger but found nothing so I used it to pull myself toward the bank. I finally got to a point where I could stand on an underwater branch and rested, then made my way to the bank.

Sitting on the bank trying to catch my breath and calm down I realized that not only was my boat turned over but my poles were gone but then it hit me. My wallet was in the pocket of the jacket and besides all the normal stuff it had an envelope with $350 in it. This was money I had saved up for a camping trip with my son after he graduates this summer. It was to be his present.

I started my walk back to the atv and noticed some stuff floating towards that end of the pond. When I got to the atv it would not start. The solenoid went out and I could not jump across the post. It being a long uphill walk back home I decided to check the bank to see what I could find from the boat I found my small tackle box and a Zoom ziplock bag of worms then the minnow bucket and then the 5 gallon bucket I had my fish in. ALL 4 fish were still in this open bucket. I also found both oars. I manged to get the atv going by running a wire straight from the battery to the starter.

Dad and I went back out to get the boat armed with some rope and a rod with snagging hook and a life jacket. I swam to the boat wearing the life jacket and had to rope tied to me side. I pulled the rear anchor and dad started pulling and we found out the front anchor rope was no longer attached at the anchor. We pulled the boat to shore and bailed it out then got in it and managed to get one rod and my jacket but my wallet was no longer in the pocket

I will go back tomorrow and try using and extended dip net in the 10ft water in hopes of finding my wallet. I am hoping to not have to tell my son that I lost the money.

1 lb of crappie fillets = $450 (cash and rods) Still breathing = priceless Be Careful out there

#1309675 - 04/30/09 08:07 PM Re: Crappie $450 a lb - Be careful [Re: ]
8up
Good ol' Boys
10 Point

Loc: Stewart co.

AAHC It would have been nice to have one floating there to grab on to. I never wear a vest when not under power and dads rowboat has no motor so... I will never wear rain gear in a boat again without a vest again. I doubt I will wear rain gear at all. I do have vest but they were in the bigger boat.

#1309810 - 04/30/09 09:16 PM Re: Crappie $450 a lb - Be careful [Re: ]
hunter drew
14 Point

Loc: henderson county TN Lexington

if i was home brother i would bring some diving gear up and see if i could find it for you good luck brother

#1310008 - 05/01/09 05:46 AM Re: Crappie $450 a lb - Be careful [Re: hunter drew]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

You are a very lucky man. May sound crazy but you could have very easily been dead. I call that lucky. Everything else can be replaced. Your son will understand.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Mik475, AaronB, Bad Wolf, jw3783, Jesse91
13279 Registered Users
Who's Online
75 registered (cdtac1, leader, Mudbone, Tnscooter63, TIGGREM2, Wobblyshot1, 11 invisible) and 97 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13279 Members
42 Forums
93203 Topics
1089456 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.128 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.