Tndeer Logo

Page all of 2 12>
Topic Options
#1305235 - 04/27/09 10:11 AM TN Overhill Fly Fishing Report by Dane Law
gil1
12 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

I haven't gotten to fish any this year, but I thought I'd forward an email from these guys for those who can.

Hiwassee River The river has fished well this week. Low flows for a few more weeks. We are wading the upper river and floating the lower. Good catch rates with some nice holdovers in the quality zone. Some mayflies and caddis are hatching. Mornings are mix of streamers, nymphs, and soft hackles with afternoons reserved for dry flies and dry dropper.

Toccoa River Our largest fish of the year so far, have come from here. We have released several 20 fish and a 24 rainbow. We are drifting both sections depending on flows. Flows look good for May. Fishing is a mix of streamers, nymphs, and dry fly action. This should be a top producer for May.

Tellico River - The area is in great shape with spring rains and cool ambient temps. Fishing well as stream temps warm a little. Many of the small springs are running now. Winter rains washed out some of the beaver dams and created some new riffles here and there on the small tribs. The insects have begun hatching and include Hendricksons, little yellow sallies, , many caddis, larger stones, and green drakes. The wild trout fishing on the tribs is perfect.

Holston River - Best dry fly fishing with caddis around noon or so. All three sections are producing very well as spring continues to take hold here. We have a lot of midge activity in the mornings, and as the days warm the caddis start hatching.. Fish can be caught on a variety of flies and techniques. Mornings are better for streamers and nymphing and soft hackles with the afternoons for dry and dry dropper. The caddis and soft hackle fishing is superb. We expect the caddis to continue into next month and the fish to focus on them even more. Flows continue to be perfect for drifting all three sections.

Cumberland River We have our eyes on the river daily. The river should be at a fishable level soon. All we need is to miss one weekly shower here and the river flow will be right. We will post a report as soon as it becomes fishable. Dane Law, Southeastern Anglers 770-655-9210

Dr. Saxton Pope

#1305512 - 04/27/09 02:40 PM Re: TN Overhill Fly Fishing Report by Dane Law [Re: ]
gil1
12 Point

Originally Posted By: captain hook
Dane Law doesn't know the first dang thing about the Holston, or what is going on there. He needs to stick to what he actually knows and stop posting BS it just makes him look idiotic.

So let's hear the real report then... some folks up there might want to know the skinny.

I don't know Dane well nor have I fished with him, but my friends that know him say he's top-notch.

Dr. Saxton Pope

#1305534 - 04/27/09 03:03 PM Re: TN Overhill Fly Fishing Report by Dane Law [Re: gil1]
Headhunter
10 Point

Loc: LaVergne, TN USA

Gil1, Captain hookless is on my ignore list.

#1306168 - 04/28/09 07:41 AM Re: TN Overhill Fly Fishing Report by Dane Law [Re: ]
Steve Wright
Button

Loc: Tennessee

Dang , I was hoping to throw streamers & catch a boat.
#1306334 - 04/28/09 10:02 AM Re: TN Overhill Fly Fishing Report by Dane Law [Re: Steve Wright]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

In the fishing forum too?

You wont know,if you dont go!

#1306967 - 04/28/09 06:50 PM Re: TN Overhill Fly Fishing Report by Dane Law [Re: ]
cameron4christ
6 Point

Loc: Lexington, KY

Even if Dane doesn't know the Holston that well (though he probably knows more about it than you give him credit for) less harsh language could be used. I've only met Dane a time or two but everyone I know says he is a top notch guy with a great knowledge of trout waters.

Just curious hook, who do you guide for ?

#1306996 - 04/28/09 07:04 PM Re: TN Overhill Fly Fishing Report by Dane Law [Re: ]
Rocky Cox
Button

Loc: Knoxville

Interesting thread.

Um...First post here so here goes...I'm Rocky Cox, I work with Dane and guide fly fishing trips on the Holston River.

That report is pretty spot on for what we've been experiencing on our trips. As always, other anglers or guides could be experiencing different results with different setups, but this is what we've been fishing and having success with.

As for the streamers, some of the better holdovers that were mentioned earlier are eating unweighted streamers in some of that low slow water, and weighted buggers work pretty well in some of the faster water.

I'd be very interested to hear who Dane has offended on the Holston, or why folks are ticked at him? I've pulled the oars on the largest majority of the trips we've operated on the Holston and have had no problems what so ever.

#1307092 - 04/28/09 07:50 PM Re: TN Overhill Fly Fishing Report by Dane Law [Re: Rocky Cox]
mike243
16 Point

Loc: east tn

welcome to the new members,wade on in ;\) \:\) ,mike243

#1307366 - 04/28/09 10:19 PM Re: TN Overhill Fly Fishing Report by Dane Law [Re: mike243]
gil1
12 Point

Rocky - every once in a while, someone pukes a turd, and nobody can figure out why. I've said a few stupid things on here myself. I often post your fly report, and nothing comes of it but normal fishing jabber.

Please jump in from time to time and let us know how everything is fishing.

And I'll come see you again if you speak at any of the local club meetings. ;\)

Dr. Saxton Pope

#1307370 - 04/28/09 10:22 PM Re: TN Overhill Fly Fishing Report by Dane Law [Re: Football Hunter]
gil1
12 Point

Originally Posted By: Football Hunter
In the fishing forum too?

No doubt. It can get pretty heated over here. I'm not going to even bring up the hot topics, but they make the new deer reg. proposal controversy seem like nuthin'.

Dr. Saxton Pope

#1307625 - 04/29/09 08:01 AM Re: TN Overhill Fly Fishing Report by Dane Law [Re: ]
Steve Wright
Button

I get along w/ everyone JJ .......
Situation got straightened out.
Spent yesterday at G I-----; no boats, nothing ( had to put the streamers up....)

The thing about Dane or Rocky; they never share their lunch w/ me. Always some excuse like not having enough

#1308022 - 04/29/09 02:30 PM Re: TN Overhill Fly Fishing Report by Dane Law [Re: gil1]
katfish1976
Button

Loc: TN USA

Sounds like some of you fly fisherman should book a trip with Rsimms and let some of that adrenaline go on a big fish.

#1309586 - 04/30/09 07:15 PM Re: TN Overhill Fly Fishing Report by Dane Law [Re: ]
Steve Wright
Button

The Master of the river ran me out of my hole today !!!

;\)

He is the only one that can ?

Page all of 2 12>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TNDeerHunter270, rmyers@atpro1, ojf, Muwasi, Brad1
13550 Registered Users
Who's Online
34 registered (junebugwapiti, Jmed, stylishblueticks, 5T's, lightsareout, Tn Joe, 3 invisible) and 104 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13550 Members
42 Forums
99354 Topics
1168729 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.041 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.