Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 3 123>
Topic Options
#1304799 - 04/26/09 08:44 PM Back from Kentucky Lake
mossyhorns300
10 Point

Loc: memphis, tn & savannah, tn

happy Online
WOW....What a weekend. My thumbs are raw, wrists are sore, and I have a good bruise around my rib cage from anchoring the rod for the hook sets. We had a ball. My boy didn't want to leave the lake at all. I went out by myself Saturday morning til about 11. I got tired of counting after 20 fish and most of those were before 8 am. Water was between 66-70 degrees and up high. Not supposed to hit Summer pool til May 1st, but it was 2-3 ft over that when I put in Saturday. That screwed up my plans for really hitting the buckbrush hard, because it had the fish pushed up so far inside the newly flooded cover and scattered. I moved out after noticing alot of surface activity in the back of this creek where I knew that a ditch ran into the middle of it. I happened to have a 1/2 oz. Swarming Hornet fish head spinner tipped with a Lake Fork Magic Shad tied on and just chunked it out into the swirls and swam it back stopping it every so often, and it was a fish every cast for 30 mins or so.
Fish were hammering this thing. Wind was a killer which made it real hard to fish slow, plus, where I was at, the bigger fish were in the ditches and they wanted it moving pretty quick. I did catch quite a few on a 1/4 oz. T-Rigged Rage Tail Space Monkey along a couple of old roadbeds that cross the creek I was fishing as well as on a Shakey Head worm. Came back in that afternoon and took the wife and boy out. She caught a 3 lb. Channel Cat on a Chatterbait tipped with a Rage Tail Anaconda. I went back out Sunday morning, and I pull up on my spot I hit Saturday morning and they had dropped the water 2 ft overnight! It didn't put a damper on the feeding for the first couple hours, but then the bite SHUT DOWN. I slowed down and started pitching and flipping the buckbrush with the Space Monkey since I figured with the falling water, it would pull the fish back out towards the edges. It did for the most part. I caught more fish today in the brush than I did Saturday when it was high. I also hit the roadbed with a 1/4 oz. Strike King Football Shakey Head Jig tipped with a 7" Junebug Anaconda. I didn't fish it like you normally would a shakey head. I made big hops with hit, letting it jump up quick and make a pretty good fall back down with the tail fluttering all the way back down to the bottom. They would hit it on the fall and when I would go to hop it again, it would be heavy and I let em have it. My fish came on 3 different lure presentations. I probably caught between 40-50 fish yesterday and 20 today, but most of them were the males. I would've had about 13-14 lbs yesterday for my limit. Today, I think I only had 3 that would keep since there's a 15" minimum for the tourney. Also, I got a real treat today. We had just come in from the morning outing and went to the restaurant on the water right by our cabin we're in. I see a big motor home pull up pulling a 2-tier car carrier style trailer with a wrapped boat on top and vehicle on bottom. It's a Skeeter and wrapped with Xcalibur baits logo. I watch them get out and go check in to the resort, and I get nosy as to who it is. We were going to go check out after we ate lunch, but I decided to walk over and do it while I was waiting on the food to get done and so I could see who it was. Lo and behold it was 2008 Bassmaster Classic Champion Alton Jones and family! I said Hi real quick and told him I didn't want to keep him since they had been traveling, and had work to do to unload, but he said that was no problem at all. Asked if I had been fishing and how I did and we just shot the bull for a few. It was real cool and he was a real down to earth guy. He asked if I would like to take a pic together and wouldn't you know it, my wife had already packed up the camera with the luggage and it was buried in the back of the truck. Oh well, he signed my hat for me. Here's a few pics from my weekend. And just think, I get to do this all over again next weekend at Kentucky Lake for the tourney!

I even caught this guy on a Chatterbait!

Sign of a great weekend of fishing!

Pretty women make us buy beer...........Ugly women make us drink beer!

#1304828 - 04/26/09 09:00 PM Re: Back from Kentucky Lake [Re: mossyhorns300]
turkeyhunter64
8 Point

Loc: TN

I fished it once and caught the fool out of fish great day indeed.

#1305135 - 04/27/09 08:20 AM Re: Back from Kentucky Lake [Re: turkeyhunter64]
JCDEERMAN
14 Point

Loc: NASHVILLE, TN

Dang man...sounds like you slayed em. I will be out there this coming weekend as well. I hope the fishing is as good as it was this weekend!

What ramp is that tourney out of this next weekend?

In God we trust

God bless the USA!

#1305144 - 04/27/09 08:28 AM Re: Back from Kentucky Lake [Re: mossyhorns300]
rsimms
10 Point

Loc: Chattanooga, TN

Wow! Great report... I LOVE the "thumb pic." That pretty much says it all.
http://www.ScenicCityFishing.com

#1305148 - 04/27/09 08:31 AM Re: Back from Kentucky Lake [Re: rsimms]
JohnnyBond
Cat Man
Non-Typical

Loc:

cool
#1305468 - 04/27/09 01:58 PM Re: Back from Kentucky Lake [Re: JohnnyBond]
Headhunter
10 Point

Loc: LaVergne, TN USA

Cool, but fyi, the water has been (at best) 1/2 foot above summer pool and only an inch or so below summer pool the past several days. The TVA website is a good place for this info.

You can see a graph of the midnight elevations at the following website.

http://www.tva.com/river/lakeinfo/op_guides/kentucky.htm

Edited by Headhunter (04/27/09 02:02 PM)

#1305550 - 04/27/09 03:12 PM Re: Back from Kentucky Lake [Re: JCDEERMAN]
mossyhorns300
10 Point

happy Online
 Originally Posted By: JCDEERMAN
Dang man...sounds like you slayed em. I will be out there this coming weekend as well. I hope the fishing is as good as it was this weekend!

What ramp is that tourney out of this next weekend?

We're putting in at Buchanan's in Eagle Creek, just South of the Hwy 79 bridge by Paris Landing.

#1305588 - 04/27/09 04:00 PM Re: Back from Kentucky Lake [Re: mossyhorns300]
JCDEERMAN
14 Point

Loc: NASHVILLE, TN

Ok cool. Just wondering. We always put in at Cuba Landing. I didnt wanna get there at 5:15 and there be 30 boats waiting at the launch HA :). I hope we can load up like you did. Havent caught one over 4 lbs yet this year, but I've only been 3 or 4 times. It seems that the lake is hot right now.

Edited by JCDEERMAN (04/27/09 04:00 PM)

In God we trust

God bless the USA!

#1305663 - 04/27/09 05:15 PM Re: Back from Kentucky Lake [Re: JCDEERMAN]
mossyhorns300
10 Point

happy Online
You shouldn't have a problem doing that this weekend. I caught 2 around 4 lbs. but most of them were the smaller males. Big girls should be about right this weekend.

#1305700 - 04/27/09 06:08 PM Re: Back from Kentucky Lake [Re: mossyhorns300]
3rdTripper
6 Point

Loc: Paktiya province Afghanistan c...

Man, it looks like ya'll had a great weekend. I can't wait til you come down so we can go over to Toledo.

Page 1 of 3 123>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
bmobrady3, bmo3, chrislee, Patriot123, DT33
13565 Registered Users
Who's Online
18 registered (BigPete357, mossyhorns300, cdw338, Bullrider, SilverFox, Sea-ark, 1 invisible) and 91 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13565 Members
43 Forums
99539 Topics
1171061 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.041 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.