Tndeer Logo

Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Topic Options
#2042639 - 08/23/10 06:33 PM Re: Easiest firestarter and cheapest [Re: Boone 58]
varminthunter
Spike

Loc: Fayette County

Fline stick are very cheap, small and are good for 100's of fire per stick. You can get a three pack for less than $10. Don't need anything else but something dry to burn. Keep one in my backpack year round.

#2216682 - 12/16/10 09:00 AM Re: Easiest firestarter and cheapest [Re: LadyinEscape]
FULLDRAWXX75
12 Point

Loc: Adirondack Mtns, NY

Originally Posted By: CoastieHunter
1. 9v battery
2. steel wool

Learned this in boyscouts years ago. Since then I've used it millions of times and always carry it in my pack. Easily packed, and it's a cool thing to show people that don't believe.

How to do it (very simple):
Touch two prongs of battery to the steel wool.... thats it!
Easiest thing to do is gather dry kindling and wrap it around the steel wool. Bada bing bada boom... fire!
 Originally Posted By: elauwit
there's another that might be as cheap. If you were in scouts you remember the hot spark flint and steel kits. I picked up a new one at the scout office in knoxville. It wasn't very much at all.
 Originally Posted By: buckdead
a bic lighter would be alot easier. wouldnt it be easier to carry a lighter than carry a battery and steel wool around for survival? and cheaper. batterys are expensive these days a good ole bic $1.50
 Originally Posted By: Grizzly Johnson
Dryer lint is very good tender.... you can get plenty free and store it in a ziploc bag to keep it dry until needed....
 Originally Posted By: BlackBelt
I teach a wilderness survival course (got a class tomorrow actually), and long ago abandoned the steel wool/battery concept. I quit teaching it because:
1)exactly no one, and I mean ZERO people carry steel wool out in the field.
2)it depends on a variable that's not visually detectable (the amount of charge in the battery), and is always in decline
3)those that are prepared for survival carry the appropriate firestarting items with them, or learn/know how to make a firebow or other primitive means. Knowledge is always with you, your battery and steel wool combination might not.

In theory, you could also carry an arc welder and a gas powered generator around in the woods with you to make fire... but the reality is that just as many people carry the arc welder and generator as carry steel wool \:\)
 Originally Posted By: BlackBelt
Yes, firebow = bowdrill. Basically a device that looks similiar to a regular archery bow only smaller, and works with 3 other pieces of wood to make enough friction that it causes an ember, which goes down a little channel in the drill base into a small pile of tender...and hopefully catches the thing on fire! \:\)
It's primitive and will wear you out getting that ember, but it does work.
 Originally Posted By: 257man999
by far the cheapest and easiest fire starter is vasoline and cotton balls, simply put vasolibe on cotton balls, keep them in zip lock or other dry small container, a match, a flint starter, a bic lighter anything will work, the cotton balls will burn for 1 - 2 minutes depending on how much vasoline they have on them, either way they burn plenty long enough to get your fire going very quickly!
 Originally Posted By: LadyinEscape
I take the empty roll from toilet paper or paper towels, stuff them with the lint from my dryer, place under kindling and strike a match to it. In no time at all yo have a fire going. I must be cheap I don't have to buy a bettery. \:D

The bottom line in any situation is prepareness (#1); Knowing what to do when a situation presents itself. I have taken numerous course and training classes on outdoor survival because of the hobbies I partake in.........hunting, hiking, snowshoeing, etc. Most everything I participate in is either in the mountains or remote areas with no cell service and few other human beings other than the ones with me.

Yep, by time the reality of it all sets in that you are in a problem situation "It is to late" if you are not prepared.

The bottom line is batteries go dead, steel wool rusts(and becomes useless)lighters need a fuel supply and kept dry, matches(LOL) including "waterproof" not dependable, and dryer lint is a flash in the pan (burns to quick and not hot enough, also draws moisture quickly, if wet useless).

Over the yrs. I have carried nearly every one of the above mentioned items and no longer carry any of them..................

I now carry a firestick and a canister of vasalined cotton balls, bulletproof wet or dry, nearly effortless to use and compact, O..............and inexpensive, reuseable for life(unless lost,firestick that is) the vasalined cotton balls will not dry out, go bad from yr to yr if left in a pack, moisture proof, etc.

They burn hotter than anything else I have used and last several mins. each. Primative always good to know, but most of the time it is physically draining and difficult.

Always think ahead and simple...............

FDXX75

Edited by FULLDRAWXX75 (12/16/10 09:02 AM)

#2216711 - 12/16/10 09:17 AM Re: Easiest firestarter and cheapest [Re: FULLDRAWXX75]
JohnnyBond
Cat Man
Non-Typical

Loc:

#2216752 - 12/16/10 09:40 AM Re: Easiest firestarter and cheapest [Re: FULLDRAWXX75]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

I discovered the battery/steel wool several years ago when I was younger and playing around with batteries and steel wool for some reason...I've always liked making things and playing with fire so I guess it just came together. Also a 6v battery works really well but they're a lot bigger so a 9v is good enough for anyone.

#2217052 - 12/16/10 01:17 PM Re: Easiest firestarter and cheapest [Re: catman529]
762hunter
8 Point

Loc: Memphis

nobody mentioned fritos

ever opened a bag a lit a few?

try it

it will make you think about what your eating next time you eat some

#2217057 - 12/16/10 01:20 PM Re: Easiest firestarter and cheapest [Re: CoastieHunter]
Str8Shooter
12 Point

Loc: Dickson, TN

Put some gravel in your travel

#2217137 - 12/16/10 02:17 PM Re: Easiest firestarter and cheapest [Re: 762hunter]
FULLDRAWXX75
12 Point

Originally Posted By: 762hunter
nobody mentioned fritos

try it

Yep, the grease content is over the top with those things................

FDXX75

#2217196 - 12/16/10 02:50 PM Re: Easiest firestarter and cheapest [Re: Boone 58]
J.M.A.N.
4 Point

Loc: NW Tennessee

I have always taken two Matchlight Charcoil Briquets with me in a waterproof container. If you have a match to start them, then they will make wet wood burn.

#2218115 - 12/17/10 08:07 AM Re: Easiest firestarter and cheapest [Re: J.M.A.N.]
FULLDRAWXX75
12 Point

Originally Posted By: J.M.A.N.
I have always taken two Matchlight Charcoil Briquets with me in a waterproof container. If you have a match to start them, then they will make wet wood burn.

Both the brickette and the matches are highly sensitive to moisture and only have a one time use..............

FDXX75

#2218791 - 12/17/10 03:47 PM Re: Easiest firestarter and cheapest [Re: FULLDRAWXX75]
Trevor2
8 Point

Loc: sunbright,tn

Originally Posted By: FULLDRAWXX75
 Originally Posted By: 762hunter
nobody mentioned fritos

try it

Yep, the grease content is over the top with those things................

FDXX75

Learned this one back in high school on one of our unpreapared camping trips and all we had were various chips and beer.

Page 4 of 5 <12345>

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
4 registered (trap55555, WG3, kentuckylakebuck, waltny) and 68 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180120 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.007 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.