Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#1288197 - 04/13/09 07:09 PM Re: Is a gobbler decoy necessary? [Re: ]
Spoonbillmallard
8 Point

Loc: TN

Thanks guys all great opinions in my book. I have only hunted turkeys for about 5 years now and only restricted to hunting on the weekends so I don't get to get out much during the short season. But I have had similar results as yours when using a gobbler decoy. The jake I killed wasn't coming to the decoys and the other run in with a tom he didn't want anything to do with em. both times they just stayed thier distance and tried moving around me.

I have never not hunted with decoys I have felt that I need all the help I can get. But not until recently have i felt that they may in fact be hurting me more than helping me. So I think I might go out this weekend and leave the dekes at the house and see what happens.

#1288297 - 04/13/09 08:01 PM Re: Is a gobbler decoy necessary? [Re: Spoonbillmallard]
REN
Good ol' Boys "Team Grizzly"
12 Point

Loc: Wilson County, TN

Originally Posted By: Spoonbillmallard
Thanks guys all great opinions in my book. I have only hunted turkeys for about 5 years now and only restricted to hunting on the weekends so I don't get to get out much during the short season. But I have had similar results as yours when using a gobbler decoy. The jake I killed wasn't coming to the decoys and the other run in with a tom he didn't want anything to do with em. both times they just stayed thier distance and tried moving around me.

I have never not hunted with decoys I have felt that I need all the help I can get. But not until recently have i felt that they may in fact be hurting me more than helping me. So I think I might go out this weekend and leave the dekes at the house and see what happens.

sounds good...get after them. Just remember a ton of birds are killed in states including alabama where you are not allowed to even use them so it can be done by any.

if you are not going to use them then just use the land and your calling to intice them to come in close. Use the land to make them want to come and see if a hen is in there. I usually try to make my set up to where they will be withing 30yds in order to see down to where i am. At that point it doesnt matter if he decideds to leave because he doesnt see anything...he is dead before he makes that decision. Learn to throw the sound of your calls in different directions to make it seem you are leaving and going the opposite way as he is so he wants to keep coming to find you. Use the sounds of wing beats (can use a hat against your leg or an actual wing off a previous kill) to even assure him more that you are there an waiting for love lol.

good luck man and rest assured tons of people kill nice birds each year without using decoys, sometimes they help but sometimes having none out helps even more.

John 3:16

#1288358 - 04/13/09 08:29 PM Re: Is a gobbler decoy necessary? [Re: ]
redblood
16 Point

Loc: Lewisburg

I wish I had a decoy that would scare off jakes, they are destroying all my hunts.

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  RUGER, Bobby G, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, Grizzly Johnson, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
4 registered (jmb4wd, devo1980, Hohmfree, Big J) and 94 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180122 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.005 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.