Tndeer Logo

Page all of 6 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#1285741 - 04/11/09 01:26 PM Would it be ethical to............................
Baxter83
Good ol' Boys
12 Point

Loc: Winchester, TN

Shoot one off the roost? \:D I heard one gobbling on roost this morning and was moving in on him when I looked up and saw one roosted 30 yards from me. I waited for him to fly down (dangit!), but he landed behind a downed tree and literally disappeared. That one never gobbled the first time, but the one I was initially after sounded off a dozen times before he flew down. He might have been 50 yards from where I stumbled up on this one. Once they hit the ground they shut up and disappeared into thin air. This keeps happening to me.....
#1285752 - 04/11/09 01:43 PM Re: Would it be ethical to............................ [Re: Baxter83]
medwc
8 Point

Loc: Clarksville, TN, hunt FCKY an...

Ethical? That would depend on you. Some people say it is unethical, some say blast um. As long as it is legal and you're ok with it then for you it is ethical. That is how I see it.
JMO, Dan

Oh and it happens to me too. I always try to get too close. I have never shot one off the roost and I do try to call them down. I have shot one tom from a tree but it was at 10:00 am. I was slow walking a trail and seen something jump from one branch to another. It was a big ol tom at 30 yards. He froze, I shot, dead bird. Seemed ethical to me, I would have done the same if he was on the ground and I walked up on him.

Edited by medwc (04/11/09 08:37 PM)
Edit Reason: I think I was on crack the 1st try

#1285821 - 04/11/09 03:06 PM Re: Would it be ethical to............................ [Re: medwc]
RUGER Administrator
Bambi Killa
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

I personally don't see any difference in it than walking up on one in a field.
Good luck.

#1285932 - 04/11/09 04:39 PM Re: Would it be ethical to............................ [Re: ]
cruff10
10 Point

Loc: Wartburg, TN (Morgan Co)

Would you shoot a 12PT 180 class buck laying down in his bed broad side?
#1285978 - 04/11/09 05:50 PM Re: Would it be ethical to............................ [Re: cruff10]
Baxter83
Good ol' Boys
12 Point

Originally Posted By: cruff10

HMMMMM! Now there's a good way to look at it. ;\)

Thanks for the input fellers. I'm pretty sure I know where they'll be in the morning so maybe I'll be a little more prepared and can set up in a better spot. It sure was tough looking at a nice gobbler for 30 or so minutes no more than 35 or 40 yards away from me up in a tree though. I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

#1286001 - 04/11/09 06:32 PM Re: Would it be ethical to............................ [Re: Baxter83]
buckhorn40
Non-Typical

Loc: Crossville

Shoot!!

#1286121 - 04/11/09 08:46 PM Re: Would it be ethical to............................ [Re: buckhorn40]
REN
Good ol' Boys "Team Grizzly"
12 Point

Loc: Wilson County, TN

do what you need to do, if it was late in the season and i was still sitting at ZERO then would consider it no doubt!!

if i had one tagged already I prob wouldnt just because the thrill to me is calling them in, not really shooting them (dont get me wrong i LOVE shooting them to)

John 3:16

#1286124 - 04/11/09 08:48 PM Re: Would it be ethical to............................ [Re: ]
REN
12 Point

Originally Posted By: captain hook

No, just me personally, could care less if someone else did, but if I am going to make B&C books I want to have things go a little differently.

WOW....so if you got in a stand at dawn and when the sun came up you spotted him bedded down you wouldnt shoot??

if you say no so be it but I dont see any reason he would not be a dead deer at that time

#1286132 - 04/11/09 08:51 PM Re: Would it be ethical to............................ [Re: REN]
medwc
8 Point

Originally Posted By: REN

No, just me personally, could care less if someone else did, but if I am going to make B&C books I want to have things go a little differently.

WOW....so if you got in a stand at dawn and when the sun came up you spotted him bedded down you wouldnt shoot??

if you say no so be it but I dont see any reason he would not be a dead deer at that time

lol, you are not an elitist.

#1286136 - 04/11/09 08:54 PM Re: Would it be ethical to............................ [Re: medwc]
REN
12 Point

Originally Posted By: medwc

lol, you are not an elitist.

i guess not lol

#1286144 - 04/11/09 08:58 PM Re: Would it be ethical to............................ [Re: ]
REN
12 Point

Absolutely, he is a dead deer or at least shot at. I thought we were talking about walking up on one? But yes, if it got light and he was bedded down, he is dead.

Don't know how to explain the difference, but for me there would be.

nah i see what you mean, walking up on one would be different to me. I am not sure if the difference would be enough not to shoot but i guess it would just depend on the day but i definitely see a difference.

that same DIFFERENCE is why i just cant deer hunt turkeys, just not my cup of tea (no knock on those that due just not for me)

#1286159 - 04/11/09 09:05 PM Re: Would it be ethical to........................ [Re: ]
DBLAARCHERY
Woodpile Boys Neighbor
14 Point

Loc: Cannon County Outback

I would hate to say it but if you came up on a 180 BC 12 point and you didn't shoot him cause he was bedded
You have lost your mind...

Whats the difference in him bedded or trying to enjoy a nice stroll in the woods, or a nice dinner before bed...You guys kill me with your ethics questions... \:D

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day...Teach him how to fish and he will sit on a boat and drink beer all day!

#1286165 - 04/11/09 09:08 PM Re: Would it be ethical to........................ [Re: DBLAARCHERY]
REN
12 Point

Originally Posted By: DBLAARCHERY

I would hate to say it but if you came up on a 180 BC 12 point and you didn't shoot him cause he was bedded

Whats the difference in him bedded or trying to enjoy a nice stroll in the woods, or a nice dinner before bed...You guys kill me with your ethics questions... \:D

not speaking for hook, but i dont think it is an "ETHICS" question on this one more a personal choice. I dont think it is unethical at all to deer hunt turkeys, but i personally wont do it

#1286176 - 04/11/09 09:16 PM Re: Would it be ethical to........................ [Re: ]
buckdead
8 Point

Loc: southern middle tn

ethics are over rated.

#1286185 - 04/11/09 09:22 PM Re: Would it be ethical to........................ [Re: ]
DBLAARCHERY
Woodpile Boys Neighbor
14 Point

It has nothing to do with ethics, it just wouldn't be my choice.

Now granted it has yet to happen, easy to say no on a keyboard, and not pull the trigger if it actually happened.

Heck for all I know I might shoot the deer without any second thought or care. My preference would be to have me perfectly intercept him after lots of hard work scouting and planning, but life doesn't always work out how we would like.

On the turkey thing, I have had the chance on the limb, and chose not to, could care less if other do however.

same here!

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day...Teach him how to fish and he will sit on a boat and drink beer all day!

#1286479 - 04/12/09 09:59 AM Re: Would it be ethical to........................ [Re: DBLAARCHERY]
Anonymous TnDeer Old Timer
Unregistered

Back home in the cypress, it can be quite challenging to sneak within range of a roostin turkey. It was the preferred method of killin 'um during the fall years ago. Many old timers I know still practice this method.
#1286851 - 04/12/09 07:17 PM Re: Would it be ethical to........................ [Re: ]
gil1
12 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

NO

Dr. Saxton Pope

#1287055 - 04/12/09 08:50 PM Re: Would it be ethical to........................ [Re: gil1]
smstone22
16 Point

Loc: Allardt, TN

I personally wouldnt.

#1287289 - 04/12/09 11:38 PM Re: Would it be ethical to........................ [Re: smstone22]
redblood
16 Point

Loc: Lewisburg

No. For me a turkey isn't worth compromising your principles for. It is about the hunt not the harvest- a 20 lb bird. But If you are ok with it, do it. It is legal during set hunting hours I believe. No the 180 class buck, is a different story.

Edited by redblood (04/12/09 11:40 PM)

#1287358 - 04/13/09 07:22 AM Re: Would it be ethical to........................ [Re: redblood]
JCDEERMAN
14 Point

Loc: NASHVILLE, TN

I have never been in a situation to shoot one out of roost, but I probably would. Even though there is nothing like setting up on him and have him fly down right there to you...Now thats fun!

For the 180 inch buck, I would definately shoot him. Yea, I would prefer to be sitting in my stand and have him walk by or chasing a doe or something. BUT if I was stealthy enough to sneak up on a buck of that caliber, I definately think that I deserve him. You beat him at his own game. He is more than likely at full alert, doing what he does best....hiding. You fooled him and you better believe I would take the shot.

In God we trust

God bless the USA!

#1287406 - 04/13/09 08:21 AM Re: Would it be ethical to............................ [Re: cruff10]
showmehorns
16 Point

Loc: usually in the woods

I'm torn on this one. I won't shoot one off the roost, it's just my personal choice, but I also think a gobbler is at a huge disadvantage when it comes to "sleeping in its bed". From what I have been lead to believe, those birds use flight from the roost in the poor morning light as a last option, due to less than desirable visibility.

Now, a bedded 180 class buck has the advantage of sight, smell AND that maturity that comes along with age. If I was able to stalk up on a mature, bedded buck, I would consider myself wiley enough to accomplish such a feat.

Just my personal opinion, which really isn't worth that much.

#1287480 - 04/13/09 09:29 AM Re: Would it be ethical to............................ [Re: buckhorn40]
Slaughter-06
14 Point

Loc: Dyersburg,Tn.

I know if you get close enough to see him on a limb, and see his beard, either shoot him or go after another bird. Because you will not kill that bird if you let him fly down.
He has already seen you and even though he might still be gobbling he will fly down the other way and shut up just like you said that one did.

I never have shot one off a limb and I never have killed one that I could see he had a beard.

Edited by Slaughter-06 (04/13/09 09:30 AM)

#1287494 - 04/13/09 09:37 AM Re: Would it be ethical to............................ [Re: Baxter83]
spitndrum
Supreme Hunting Outdoors Pro Staff
Non-Typical

Loc: Cumberland Plateau

I personally like playing the game but its legal and if you want him you shoot him dont worry bout what others have to say I would shoot one off the roost if I could I wouldnt limit out doing it though JMO!!!

#1287548 - 04/13/09 10:26 AM Re: Would it be ethical to............................ [Re: buckhorn40]
Spoonbillmallard
8 Point

Yup I would say blast em! Had a gobbler roosted yesterday evening and got about 30 yards from him. He had his head tucked and I was waiting for him to raise up. A truck came down the highway and he was wide awake then. he pulled his head up and it was behind a tree so when I stepped back to shoot he flew. But you better believe he was gonna get blasted.

#1287554 - 04/13/09 10:29 AM Re: Would it be ethical to............................ [Re: spitndrum]
Baxter83
Good ol' Boys
12 Point

Originally Posted By: spitndrum
I personally like playing the game

I played the game and LOST!!! \:D I'll play a different game next time.....I think

#1290034 - 04/14/09 07:28 PM Re: Would it be ethical to........................ [Re: spitndrum]
DBLAARCHERY
Woodpile Boys Neighbor
14 Point

Originally Posted By: spitndrum
I personally like playing the game but its legal and if you want him you shoot him dont worry bout what others have to say I would shoot one off the roost if I could I wouldnt limit out doing it though JMO!!!

come on now tell the truth...You like calling too much... ;\)

#1290163 - 04/14/09 08:16 PM Re: Would it be ethical to............................ [Re: buckhorn40]
shopson
10 Point

Loc: Greeneville

Ethical was back when Hunters would Call turkeys to within 40 yards or less to shoot.
#1290200 - 04/14/09 08:31 PM Re: Would it be ethical to........................ [Re: shopson]
DBLAARCHERY
Woodpile Boys Neighbor
14 Point

Originally Posted By: shopson
Ethical was back when Hunters would Call turkeys to within 40 yards or less to shoot.

Ethical was when birds and deer were killed for food and not for the sport or thrill... ;\)

#1290627 - 04/15/09 06:28 AM Re: Would it be ethical to........................ [Re: DBLAARCHERY]
shopson
10 Point

Loc: Greeneville

I kill for all three reasons.
#1290638 - 04/15/09 06:40 AM Re: Would it be ethical to........................ [Re: shopson]
medwc
8 Point

Originally Posted By: shopson
I kill for all three reasons.

Killing isn't ethical, you "harvest" game.

lol, j/p, don't yall just love how politicly correct the USA has become.

#1290648 - 04/15/09 06:52 AM Re: Would it be ethical to........................ [Re: DBLAARCHERY]
Baxter83
Good ol' Boys
12 Point

Ethical was when birds and deer were killed for food and not for the sport or thrill... ;\)

;\)

#1290792 - 04/15/09 08:59 AM Re: Would it be ethical to........................ [Re: Baxter83]
megalomaniac
12 Point

Loc: Mississippi

Personally, at this point in my hunting career, I would not shoot one from the roost, nor would I shoot one I walked up on in a field. And nor would I stalk/ ambush one.

I've never shot one off the roost in the past, just never seemed right to me, but I've ambushed/ stalked many successfully in the past. It's just not what I want out of a hunt anymore.

If a bird doesn't come in gobbling/ strutting and putting on a show, I'm gonna let him pass. Again, that's a personal thing, though. Killing them is secondary to the hunt itself.

#1290796 - 04/15/09 09:06 AM Re: Would it be ethical to........................ [Re: megalomaniac]
Baxter83
Good ol' Boys
12 Point

Originally Posted By: megalomaniac
Personally, at this point in my hunting career, I would not shoot one from the roost, nor would I shoot one I walked up on in a field. And nor would I stalk/ ambush one.

I've never shot one off the roost in the past, just never seemed right to me, but I've ambushed/ stalked many successfully in the past. It's just not what I want out of a hunt anymore.

If a bird doesn't come in gobbling/ strutting and putting on a show, I'm gonna let him pass. Again, that's a personal thing, though. Killing them is secondary to the hunt itself.

I'm confident that later in my turkey hunting career I'll feel the same way. However, I'm working on only my second bird so I believe that if I'm in the previously said situation again I'll be letting the lead fly. At that time I had never really put much thought into what I'd do in that situation because I didn't think I'd be in it. Now that I've had time to think about it I'm pretty sure I won't let the next one have a free pass.

Now that my mind is made up I'll never get that close a roosted tom again.... \:D

#1290835 - 04/15/09 09:49 AM Re: Would it be ethical to............................ [Re: buckhorn40]
Coach
16 Point

Loc: Pall Mall, TN and Dexter, MI

I'd shoot one off the roost and a bedded deer too and in bow season at the same time!! But, I won't shoot a sitting rabbit...Just your choice and how you see it as long as it's all legal

Dean Business Supply, Llc

http://www.adam4d.com

#1290946 - 04/15/09 10:50 AM Re: Would it be ethical to............................ [Re: ]
Winchester
Non-Typical

LMAO! There is nothing I have ever done while hunting that is more satisfying than sneaking up on a mature buck and killing him in his bed, him never even knowing I was there! I've only achieved this twice and I gotta tell you, there is nothing any harder IMO!!!

#1290967 - 04/15/09 11:02 AM Re: Would it be ethical to............................ [Re: Winchester]
BowGuy84
10 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN and Louisville, ...

I thought shooting them on roost was illegal.

I still have reservations about doing it even through I now know it isnt. Finally, I would relish the opportunity to shoot a bedded big buck

#1290972 - 04/15/09 11:04 AM Re: Would it be ethical to............................ [Re: Winchester]
Coach
16 Point

Originally Posted By: Winchester

LMAO! There is nothing I have ever done while hunting that is more satisfying than sneaking up on a mature buck and killing him in his bed, him never even knowing I was there! I've only achieved this twice and I gotta tell you, there is nothing any harder IMO!!!

Winchester, Dan Fitzgerald has an old video where he sneaks up on a mature buck and arrows it. I think it's called Swamp Buck Fever. He also shoots a bedded one with bow in Corn Crazed Whitetails...like you, he thinks it's an awesome feat.

#1291167 - 04/15/09 02:24 PM Re: Would it be ethical to............................ [Re: ]
Coach
16 Point

Originally Posted By: elauwit
Fitzgerald is the man!

I do like to watch him prior to the season opening for bow and gun...gets me fired up. He lives over in Tecumseh about 20 minutes from my Michigan home.

#1291179 - 04/15/09 02:36 PM Re: Would it be ethical to............................ [Re: buckhorn40]
Lawrence
8 Point

Loc: MT. Juliet Tennessee

Heck yea
and then make up this cool story of how you called him
across two creeks and across a 300 acre field.

BOOM

#1291183 - 04/15/09 02:39 PM Re: Would it be ethical to............................ [Re: Coach]
VolDoug
TnDeer Old Timer
10 Point

Loc: Plateau

Shooting on the roost is not illegal. Shooting before legal shooting time (30 mins prior to legal sunrise) is illegal.

The unethical part, for me, of shooting one on the roost would be slipping under his tree under the cover of darkness and then blasting him after legal shooting time. The analogy of a deer isn't a good comparison, because the deer has his nose and much better eyesight in dark conditions. There is a reason why turkeys roost in trees. They would be defenseless on the ground.

Slip within shooting distance after it's light while he is still in a tree, I have no problem with.

#1291217 - 04/15/09 03:12 PM Re: Would it be ethical to............................ [Re: ]
Coach
16 Point

Originally Posted By: Coach
Fitzgerald is the man!

I do like to watch him prior to the season opening for bow and gun...gets me fired up. He lives over in Tecumseh about 20 minutes from my Michigan home.
yeah i thought he was from your neck of the woods. What about the motor city madman? how far are you from his digs.

Terrible Ted or Uncle Ted lives about 15-20 minutes west of me in Jackson, MI. I think he calls his place Sunrize or something like that. He had a store out there that we went to once in awhile but closed it a couple of years ago...had mounted Zebras and such in there. Old Wango Tango does have a gift of gab doesn't he!

My sons and I used to use some of Dan Fitzgerald's products and we would buy them by the case. He would have one of his guys meet us half way in Clinton, MI at the McDonald's there so we could pick it up without paying shipping. His Vanilla Killa was one of our favorites for a long time for bow hunting.

Edited by Coach (04/15/09 03:15 PM)

#1291252 - 04/15/09 03:44 PM Re: Would it be ethical to............................ [Re: ]
Coach
16 Point

Yep, I saw that...did it with Moody I think who later was attacked by one of his hogs and almost lost his leg

#1291290 - 04/15/09 04:20 PM Re: Would it be ethical to............................ [Re: Coach]
medwc
8 Point

It is highly unethical to high-jack a post on TnDeer.

#1291313 - 04/15/09 04:33 PM Re: Would it be ethical to............................ [Re: medwc]
Coach
16 Point

haha! You are right medwc and I apologize to the poster...

#1291912 - 04/15/09 09:57 PM Re: Would it be ethical to........................ [Re: DBLAARCHERY]
ddgonehntn
6 Point

Loc: cocke county, tn.

Double Ditto!

If you're not laughing, You're not hunting hard enough!!

#1291949 - 04/15/09 10:12 PM Re: Would it be ethical to............................ [Re: buckhorn40]
Buck Assassin
10 Point

Loc: cocke county, TN

I'd shoot!

Round here we follow the motto "K.I.S.S" KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID!

#1291977 - 04/15/09 10:27 PM Re: Would it be ethical to............................ [Re: Buck Assassin]
mark II
Woodpile Boys
4 Point

Loc: lewisburg

if your a true deer hunter you wont let his bed stop ya, so same goes for turkeys ,do what ya gotta do to seal the deal.

#1292097 - 04/16/09 06:40 AM Re: Would it be ethical to............................ [Re: ]
Baxter83
Good ol' Boys
12 Point

same here

It's no biggie. I enjoy the reading....... \:D

#1292102 - 04/16/09 06:55 AM Re: Would it be ethical to............................ [Re: Baxter83]
Grizzly Johnson Moderator
Team Grizzly
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Originally Posted By: Baxter83
same here

Baxter needs ALL the help he can get!!!

#1292185 - 04/16/09 08:13 AM Re: Would it be ethical to............................ [Re: Grizzly Johnson]
TurkeyBurd Moderator
Woodpile Boys
10 Point

Loc: Chapel Hill

I shoot them off the roost all the time in the fall. Kill 1 or 2, bust up the flock and try to kee-kee them back. I' m not saying that I wouldnt/havent in the spring, but I really enjoy calling them in. Personal decision for each hunter. No law is being broken. Are we turkey hunting or turkey watching?

#1292193 - 04/16/09 08:18 AM Re: Would it be ethical to............................ [Re: Grizzly Johnson]
Coach
16 Point

Originally Posted By: Grizzly Johnson
 Originally Posted By: Baxter83
same here

Baxter needs ALL the help he can get!!!

In that case, how about those Pistons against the Cavs \:D

#1292237 - 04/16/09 09:00 AM Re: Would it be ethical to............................ [Re: Coach]
Grizzly Johnson Moderator
Team Grizzly
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Bawwhahahaha.... it's all good!!! \:D

Page all of 6 12345>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Bobby G, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, Grizzly Johnson, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered and 62 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180122 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.017 seconds in which 0.005 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.