Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#1278883 - 04/06/09 07:21 PM I need help fishing Fla this week
tennoutdrsman
TnDeer Old Timer
6 Point

Loc: Hendersonville,Tn

Ok,looks like i'm headed down to navarre beach to spend some time at a relative's condo..now there's pier down from her place,i dont know if its in use (hurricane damage?) so may have to fish fromthe beach or i think we can fish where they keep the boats at,as long as we dont keep our fish on a stringer,they tell me (Sharks?)..anyways, what sinker,(River sinkers,i assume)would i need?I dont have a LONG surf rod,but have the catfish poles which can take a pounding,what test line should i use?I know shrimp may be the best as squid should be at the bait shop as well..Just me and my son,county boys trying out the salt water thing..any info is 'preciated!

#1279018 - 04/06/09 08:07 PM Re: I need help fishing Fla this week [Re: ]
tennoutdrsman
TnDeer Old Timer
6 Point

Thanks!

#1279954 - 04/07/09 10:06 AM Re: I need help fishing Fla this week [Re: ]
JimFromTN
8 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

I don't think you have to worry about sharks this time of year. I don't think thay have moved into the area, yet. For the beach, you might be able to pick up a cheap beach rod at walmart that you can put one of your reels on or possibly buy a combo. Your catfish rigs will work if they are long enough. You need a pretty long rod like 8 foot minimum to get the bait out there far. 10 to 15 lb test should work fine. If you have one of those catfish rigs with the close faced reel, I would not use use it. If sand gets in there, you'll probably end up throwing it out. Squid, shrimp, sand fleas, and cut bait are good bait. You will find that the squid and cut bait don't get stolen as easy but if the pompano are running, you will want sand fleas. You may have to get a sand flea rake and catch them yourself

I would also consider bringing a selection of llighter rods like a med light spinning rig and a med to med heavy spinning rig. Navarre beach is an island and you may be able to find fishing on the bay side. You will probably have allot more fun fishing on the bay side if you can find a place to fish where you can walk the bank and fish around grass beds. There is a state park that may allow you access to that. Look into kayak rentals while you are there. I think you can probably rent single and tandum kayaks for around $40 a day. Also, you can throw jigs and spoons into the surf with the med/heavy spinning rigs. Bring lots of jig heads of all different size from 1/16 up to 1/2 once. Bring grubs ranging from 2 inch to 4 inch. Hot pink, white, white with red tail, and chartruese are good colors. Gold and silver spoons are good as well. They need to be compact and heavy so they can be cast into the wind. You can pick all this stuff up at walmart while you are down there if you don't want to use your own.

If you find a place on the bay side with grass beds and you can't seem to catch anything, take the medium light rod and put a 1/8 jig head and try putting small chunks of squid on it and throw it around the grass. Also try the small grubs as well. Fish the larger grubs around the beds as well. Live shrimp also work on the cork rig. If you are able to catch small fish like 2 inches in size with the 1/18 jig head, put them on a bobber rigs and cast them to the outside edge of the grass.

When done fishing for the day, you will need to rinse all of your gear including any rigs/lures/hooks that you used. You don't need to soak the reels, just rinse them off with the hose.

The rig with multiple jigs on it is called a sabiki rig. Not sure if that is the correct spelling.

Edited by JimFromTN (04/07/09 10:27 AM)

#1280449 - 04/07/09 03:00 PM Re: I need help fishing Fla this week [Re: JimFromTN]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

Try throwing a Zara Spook,you may not be able to handle what bites,but it will be a heck of a show

You wont know,if you dont go!

#1280490 - 04/07/09 03:23 PM Re: I need help fishing Fla this week [Re: Football Hunter]
Model70Man
12 Point

Loc: Knoxville, TN

I fish that area often. I use an 8 ft and 12 ft rod with big salt water resistant reels spooled up with 17 pound test line. I use pompano rigs with a 3 or 4 ounce pyramid sinker. I catch my own sand fleas for bait. Shrimp work well and so does cut bait. At night I tie on a 4 ft steel leader and use a pretty big piece of cut bait for sharks. Blacktips cruise the first and second sandbar and it's not unlikely to catch 5 or 6 a night. Get you a couple of PVC pipes and cut one end to a point so you can shove the sharp end in the sand and keep your rods and reels out of the sand.

This time of year the cobia should be running along with pompano and spanish mackeral.

Check out this website. http://www.halfhitch.com for the best updates. Also pay them a visit. They will hook you up with what you need.
Zeiss Victory Varipoint #60 Illuminated

#1280604 - 04/07/09 04:49 PM Re: I need help fishing Fla this week [Re: Model70Man]
Tubakka
6 Point

Loc: Tennessee

I actually just got back from Sebastien Inlet. Been doing pretty well on snook and reds at night. Two snook over 25 pounds, right aroudn 40" the last few nights, lost 3-4 more in the pilings, and gotten some nice reds. Blues and ladyfish have been really active at least in my area, and the sharks are ALWAYS aroudn near the inlets, expect maybe after a big front. If you're near an inlet [honestly, I don't know where you are at] check the snook report. They are a blast, and the jigs to catch them are very affordable, like 2 bucks a piece. They also get big reds, BIG reds...40-50" sometimes on up. I know of a 50 pounder caught at Sebastien not that long ago. Sharks are a no brainer...if you have a pier especially. I had my first hook up last night on the outgoing. For sharks, all you need is an old penn levelwind with 40-50 pound test, and a shark righ which can be purchased anywhere at a bait shop. Just get a ladyfish or blue fish, head and tail gone, butterfly and let her fly out there. Shoudn't have to wait too long. You may or may not get pwned by something bigger than your bargain, but hey, all the better a fish story huh? Catch 'em up.
#1280607 - 04/07/09 04:50 PM Re: I need help fishing Fla this week [Re: Tubakka]
Tubakka
6 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Oh and if all you can do is go off the beach sand fleas are a no brainer for pompano or bonnetheads. Both of which are fun. I got a sea trout in the surf the other day, which was...different...but cool.
#1280648 - 04/07/09 05:24 PM Re: I need help fishing Fla this week [Re: Tubakka]
tennoutdrsman
TnDeer Old Timer
6 Point

Thanks to all you folks.i just taled to my son,he went around back and fished the area where the keep the boats for the people who live in that community,he caught a red snapper quickley..then had the rest stolen,lol by nibblers..he said there's an area where a big concrete enbankment that folks seem to favor..I will try my darndest to catch a shark..also do they catch those pesky saltwater catfish i that area? used to throw them to the pellicans in panama city when we went there..lol..i have 20 lb on one and 12 on another catfish rods..my ugly sticks have 10 lb on them..i have slip floats i use for cattin, I guess they wouldnt do much good down there?

#1281670 - 04/08/09 09:19 AM Re: I need help fishing Fla this week [Re: tennoutdrsman]
JimFromTN
8 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

If you are going for sharks from the beach, you will probably need to do it at night. Use the 20lb rig and a shark rig if you can find one. I make my own with about 3ft to 4 ft of steel leader, a 5/0 to 7/0 hook, and a 3 to 5 oz sinker depending on the wind and tide. You will need to use cut bait or live bait fish.

In the area where the boats are would be a perfect place to use the med light rig with an 1/8 jig head with a small peice of squid. You can use the small fish that you catch for bait. If they are under 3 inches, use the bobber around the docks. If they are bigger, use them in the surf for bigger fish. Bring one of those trolling bait buckets if you have one for live shrimp and the small fish you catch.

If you can, try fishing at night under lights in the area where they keep the boats using live shimp and jigs. Be quite and don't stomp around. I have fished a similar situation and sea trout would hang out under the lights. When people stomped around on the dock, they would disappear. I would wait until everyone left and go back out quitely and fill a limit.

#1282055 - 04/08/09 02:37 PM Re: I need help fishing Fla this week [Re: JimFromTN]
fishboy1
16 Point

Loc: Warren Co

Best secret bait for Pompano.... River clams.

Swing by the local grocery store and see if they have the clams that look kinda like concrete. Cut into pieces making sure you have a bit of the tough foot part to hook through.

Pompano love em and they stay on better than sand fleas.

Better yet, double up, small bit of clam and a sand flea on the same hook.

Add an orange/yellow/red bead to your line above your hook as an added attractant or cut a small piece of balloon and put that on your hook.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
1 registered (TennTurkeyHunter) and 44 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180120 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.005 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.